• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

Ookami-kun said:
We need a pure grappler character.

9813-starman_large.gif

I'd like to see 3-4 characters between Xenoblade & The Last Story, with a couple of the female characters in that group.

Maybe Shulk and the final character from Xenoblade along with Elza and Kanaan?

Azure J

I always thought that Toad would be an awesome candidate for a striker grappler (think Abel in SSFIV) and it's backed by "canon" too with his running speed and lifting ability in Super Mario Bros 2/USA. :lol

AntMurda

Snakeyes said:
Roster-wise, the Nintendo side of things has been covered pretty extensively. There's just a handful of characters that can be added before we delve into Waluigi territory (i.e. shit nobody cares about). More 3rd party additions is where it's at.

What are you talking about. There are a ton of Japanese/American main characters from Nintendo games that have not been featured. Murasame (samurai). Little Mac (boxer). Mike Jones (explorer). Andy (Advance Wars). To name a few.

MisterHero

I really want to speculate that since this will be the 1st HD Smash Bros that maybe they could add 2-4 player slots and have 6 or even 8 players at a time.

Getting controllers (I'm guessing Wiimote Alone/Wiimote+CC/CCPro is the default now) for everyone would be a complete hassle though

Azure J

I have always wanted to see 8 player Smash matches with mechanics that embrace multiple people on screen like that. It's pretty much an offshoot from the first time I saw the Wombo Combo and instantly thought that the future of Smash would be a greater emphasis on teaming up for shit like that. :lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well... one think I would really like to see is a different kind of events: Cross universe Events, or Real Deal Events... however, every event would be a real level from a certain game to do with a character that doesn't pertain to that game.
For example, playing a part of a MGS with Captain Falcon, or Pokemon with Star Fox and co. XD
...or Marth as the Karateka in the famous Ryhthm Heaven minigame.
And I think Smash should also have a Submode called "Musical Battles": 12 stages taken from various RH, where players challenge each other, and the one with the better score win. Just like Minna no Rhythm Tengoku multiplayer, but with Smash Bros. characters.

WillyFive

AntMurda said:
What are you talking about. There are a ton of Japanese/American main characters from Nintendo games that have not been featured. Murasame (samurai). Little Mac (boxer). Mike Jones (explorer). Andy (Advance Wars). To name a few.

Yeah, considering the wealth of Nintendo characters and IP's out there (including those made after Brawl), the actual number of inclusions in the Smash Bros. games are actually pretty conservative.

Azure J

I feel like posting some old concepts I had for Toad & Mike Jones just for the sake of spurring on discussion on how characters can work. :p

Marina would be a godlike Treasure pick btw. Shake shake~!

GamerSoul

Mpl90 said:
Well... one think I would really like to see is a different kind of events: Cross universe Events, or Real Deal Events... however, every event would be a real level from a certain game to do with a character that doesn't pertain to that game.
For example, playing a part of a MGS with Captain Falcon, or Pokemon with Star Fox and co. XD
And I think Smash should also have a Submode called "Musical Battles": 12 stages taken from various RH, where players challenge each other, and the one with the better score win. Just like Minna no Rhythm Tengoku multiplayer, but with Smash Bros. characters.

I was also think of minigames like that. Like a race to the finish multiplayer mode where you have to pass the baton. but then again the slower characters would really suck so it would have to be more like an obstacle course i guess. Hell I wouldnt made a capture the flag type game on a larger map lol.

Also, Sandbag should have his own minigame or side story to flesh out his important role in Smash.

Mpl90

GamerSoul said:
I was also think of minigames like that. Like a race to the finish multiplayer mode where you have to pass the baton. but then again the slower characters would really suck so it would have to be more like an obstacle course i guess. Hell I wouldnt made a capture the flag type game on a larger map lol.

Also, Sandbag should have his own minigame or side story to flesh out his important role in Smash.

Mmmh, I think Musical Battles would be enough... and the Special Events in real levels of the various games involved in the game. Too many minigames wouldn't be good.
However... how much I would like to play a Nintendo v.s. Capcom.
Come on, it needs to be done.
Gameplay wise, I've always thought about a mash up of Smash Bros. and Versus.
So, losing going out of the screen, but also certains combos launching other players in the low part of air, and so combos ( but with air guard it's possible to escape them ), and three finals per charachter.
And possibility of making teams of 3-4 characters. Imagine, 16 player online, with everyone organised in 4 teams, and so 4 fighters on screen at time would be possible.

P.S. Swapping between characters done with the Super Paper Mario animation XD

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
IMO Smash handled its "story" poorly.

Super Robot Wars handles crossover stories well. Yeah the stories in SRW suck but at least they were enjoyable.

GamerSoul said:
But how will said character successfully kill an opponent? I guess an ultimate GTFOuta heah throw would be the best way to do it.

A lot of his/her attacks are short-ranged, but unblockable and has high knockback + damage.

NeonZ

Mpl90 said:

That kind of thing might sound good, but it'd basically result in a mini-game compilation, and those would hardly be good... Adding one mini-game might work, like maybe a Star Fox-like on rails shooter, but not a bunch of minigames for each series in the game.

As far as the singleplayer mode goes, they should just make another adventure mode, but this time incorporate the themes of the various games more strongly into level design, from both visual and gameplay standpoint. Maybe they can restrict the stages to the games of the standard characters, with the series only represented by secrets getting more generic stages.

Also, limiting the character choice during most of the "story" was another big mistake. I could see forced characters in the first few stages - maybe start with a side scrolling Mario level before dropping the "bomb" that this is a big crossover, but free character choices shouldn't have waited until the ending of the game.

Anth0ny

AzureJericho said:
I have always wanted to see 8 player Smash matches with mechanics that embrace multiple people on screen like that. It's pretty much an offshoot from the first time I saw the Wombo Combo and instantly thought that the future of Smash would be a greater emphasis on teaming up for shit like that. :lol

There should at least be 6 player matches. They teased that shit in Melee and Brawl =/

Mpl90

Gravijah said:
i like the brawl story. it was just an excuse for awesome interactions and cool cg.

Those cutscenes brought us also Sheik, the gentleman.

Gravijah said:
i like the brawl story. it was just an excuse for awesome interactions and cool cg.
It was an excuse for Sakurai to stroke his massive Kirby Series hard on by making what was pretty much "Kirby Trio Story! Guess starring Nintendo Characters ...".

GamerSoul

Yeah I wouldn't really want a lot of minigames but up to this point with the info we have i think the 3DS vesion will have the definitive story line. Saying that, the WiiU will have most of the Multiplayer features.

If they are really doing that I think the console version deserves atleast a Melee-level Single player mode with more levels and cross-overs of course.

Mpl90 said:
P.S. Swapping between characters done with the Super Paper Mario animation XD

Swapping characters would be a very nice touch and can be a Melee mode all by itslf. I want it.

Ookami-kun said:
A lot of his/her attacks are short-ranged, but unblockable and has high knockback + damage.

Sounds interesting and annoying. Like any grappling character lol so it'll work.

PokéKong said:
Never gonna happen.

Some how the rights to this Ip and Character got confused and the 2 companies behind MM think they own it apparently. So as a result she hasn't had any new games or releases or remakes or w/e AFAIK.

She appeared in some fighting game from one of that companies and I think that caused some problems.

NeonZ

Black-Wind said:
It was an excuse for Sakurai to stroke his massive Kirby Series hard on by making what was pretty much "Kirby Trio Story! Guess starring Nintendo Characters ...".

The Kirby crew didn't get that much screentime. In fact, Kirby stays in the background of the "5 heroes" cutscenes" most of the time between the "stadium" and the ending of the game. It's only when you start caring about and counting "important cutscene events" that they stand out.

NeonZ said:
The Kirby crew didn't get that much screentime. In fact, Kirby stays in the background of the "5 heroes" cutscenes" most of the time between the "stadium" and the ending of the game. It's only when you start caring and counting "important cutscene events" that they stand out.
They're the only ones that HAD important roles that changed and pushed the plot. Ever other character was pretty damn 2 dimensional and flat compared to them.

I knew they were on some bullshit when Kirby was the one to do the final blow on that huge airship/ canon thing. >_>

Diddy Kong had more story than Kirby did. Diddy Kong has a whole arch revolving around him rescuing Donkey Kong. Kirby just kinda tags along with everyone and happens to eat one of King Dedede's badges which keeps him from staying trophy-ed at the end.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gravijah said:

It needs more character involvement among other franchises with similar themes. Like, have Star Fox and F-Zero stuff interact, etc.

Boney said:
yeah but ookami hates anime without fur

wait it had fox didn't it?

I hate anime even with fur because they're not manly :(

Boney

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
Diddy Kong had more story than Kirby did. Diddy Kong has a whole arch revolving around him rescuing Donkey Kong. Kirby just kinda tags along with everyone and happens to eat one of King Dedede's badges which keeps him from staying trophy-ed at the end.
he fucking destroys ganondrof's ship thingy

that's the best cutscene

Gravijah said:
ok as long as no one talks again.
I'd of taken some awkward cheesy liners in SSE in return for knowing what the fuck was going on.

Love the concept behind SSE but hope they completely re-haul it. Played way too similarly to Kirby level-design wise, the OC enemies were horrible and they seem to be able to easily gang up on you (probably doesn't help you can't throw them and they don't act like a normal smash opponent would).

Rapture

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but i hope if Sonic is in Smash 4 than they replace him with the retro sonic model.

Classic_sonic_43212453.jpg

so gewd.

MisterHero

Sakurai is like Alex Ross, they are like the best creators of two different companies

You've got the main three; Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman

And Nintendo's got their big three; Mario, Link, and Samus

and then ALLOFASUDDEN Alex Ross and Sakurai place their preferred NON-BIG-THREE characters in there

just like this

Linked because it's a large image

no one cares about Captain Marvel or Kirby* neener neener neener, they are needless 4th wheels

*at least not more than Green Lantern or Flash or Aquaman or Donkey Kong or Pikachu or Miis or Nintendogs

but now that I think about it, seeing Alex Ross paint Nintendo characters would be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom