• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeroSauce

emb said:
How to play: You must recover!

or,

*stays up until 3*
*f5s, sees picture of Samurai Goroh / Lyn / Little Mac*
*assist trophy* D: (especially for the first assist trophy...)

But all of it was worth it for the Pokemon Trainers and the Olimars of the updates.

I remember when there was just one word: Sonic, and the huge splash image, and Smashworlds EXPLODED.

qq more

I remember having the RSS feed for Brawl. I'd just click on it from the bookmark toolbar and see the name of the updates.

Seeing "Sonic The Hedgehog" made me went "HOLY SHIT W-W-W-WHAT :O"

And when there's Assist Trophy updates, the RSS Feed IIRC didn't state they were ATs right from the start so I was like "oh shit character upd- oh nevermind"

emb

The Sonic update was absolutely amazing, but we did hear about it shortly before the actual update. And it happened the same time as the game's first delay. Super mixed feelings at first, but that trailer that came with the update made it almost not matter.

KevinCow

Banned
Sonic was one of the few nights I went to bed early.

"Oh it's just gonna be another gooey bomb or something, I shouldn't bother staying up."

KevinCow said:
Sonic was one of the few nights I went to bed early.

"Oh it's just gonna be another gooey bomb or something, I shouldn't bother staying up."

Did you wake up to the realisations that this meant Crush 40 and Jason Griffiths would be in the game? :p

Codeblue

I think they should bring back the dojo but keep more characters secret.

If they had kept Pit, Sonic, and Metaknight as a secret and just told us about Ness and Marth, I think it would have been a lot more exciting. Of course it is nearly impossible to avoid the Smash roster since it's such a massive deal, so I'm not sure if that would even be worth it.

I avoided the Brawl roster initially but as soon as it launched in Japan they got spoiled one by one in different places, so maybe it's better that Sakurai ruins the surprise instead.

Ness better be in the game still. If I remember correctly he was a late addition to Brawl as they were going to go with Lucas as a full on replacement.

2 alt costumes only?
No people, sakurai needs to get his shit together (it was really stupid thing to do to only give mario a proper alt in Brawl). I thing one of the most important things they need to change right now are recolors to alt costumes.
And when I mean alt costumes I mean 4 different ones that can be them with different costumes of their game history or/and very near characters (like Peach > Daisy for example).
That makes characters in that dont need to waste character slots. BTW this alt characters change also their voices, but not their moveset.
Im sure they can work out the hitbox problem.

MisterHero

For the love of God I loved Brawl but they were walking the line from having a fresh game, but parts of it were clearly (or less obvious) lifted from Melee.

I'm talking about animations and voices. It's kinda weird that two of the most fresh characters in terms of animation and voices were Snake and Sonic, and they're not Nintendo characters (to be fair, they didn't have prior Smash appearances to retool).

The character that suffered the most I felt was Captain Falcon. He's supposed to be EXTREEEME and RAD, but against the 3rd Party Characters and the other Newcomers, he felt like a retread. Even Mario had a new head, but it was on top of his Melee body, with his Melee animations.

I want the engine and every asset in this game to be NEW.

I don't even mind some clone moves, I just don't want to see lots of material derived from work on previous games.

Shamrock7r said:
Ness better be in the game still. If I remember correctly he was a late addition to Brawl as they were going to go with Lucas as a full on replacement.

Heck, EVERYONE should be in. Bring back Mewtwo and Roy, heck, Dr Mario and Pichu too. Leaving out characters is silly.

And yeah, Xenoblade characters are a must, me thinks.

Codeblue

I'd rather have a Baten Kaitos than Xenoblade character.

Xenoblade is the better game but I feel like BK had better characters. Also they should just make them mute so we don't have to suffer through their voices.

XeroSauce said:
I remember when there was just one word: Sonic, and the huge splash image, and Smashworlds EXPLODED.
The only thing I can remember from that update was that me and my girlfriend were interrupted because i didn't turn my phone off.

Anth0ny

I remember when Sonic was revealed on the Dojo...I squealed like a fanboy.

My parents thought I was injured or something.

Best day ever.

Emitan

FuzzyNorman said:
Please just made the 3DS version good so I don't have to buy a Wii U....
They're two different styles of game. 3DS is more single player focused and Wii U is more multiplayer focused or something like that.

JazzmanZ

I remember when I first saw King dedede, nearly flipped by shit over that one, unfortunately I wasn't around GAF during the Dojo days, however I did seem to contribute a finding I once did over on Smashboards about the icon numerals.

qq more

Shamrock7r said:
I don't think they'll really remove a character from the 64 era. So it's safe to assume Ness will be in SSB4.

JazzmanZ

Snakeyes said:
Oh Waluigi, I hate you so much.
261136_165829816816354_421321_n.jpg

Unicorn

Billychu said:
henry7.jpg

Mainly because Travis is a potty mouth and it would be difficult to do his personality justice if he couldn't be spouting out "fuckface" every other attack.

Henry, is the cool, collected version of Travis.

KevinCow

Banned
People who hate Waluigi are lousy.

Yeah he started as a pretty forced evil clone of Luigi just so Wario could have a doubles partner. Yeah his name could be better, because while it may be a super clever pun in Japanese, it just sounds like Luigi with Wa slapped on the front to everyone else in the world.

But he's since become one of the funniest damn Mario characters. There are very few things about him that don't make me laugh.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Nice roster, Jazzman.

Anyway, here's my idea for version differences...

3DS Version
*Same amount of characters as the Wii U Version, yet the characters have lower-poly models and don't have alternate costumes like the Wii U Version. Basic play-style is the same as the console version.
*Bottom screen in the 3Ds version displays hit points, the current score, and other info that would usually clutter the top-screen.
*3Ds version has a few items and Assist Trophies that aren't in the Wii U Version that take advantage of 3D.
*Less levels, and different ones, compared to the console version. Levels in the 3Ds version are designed around the 3D effect. The music selection is also different compared to the Wii U version, with only 2 songs per stage and you select the music using the L/R trick from Melee. All the stage songs in the 3Ds version are composed exclusively for it and aren't found in the console version.
*Multi-player modes, local and on-line are included, with less options than the console version, but focus is on single-player and practicing for the console version. Online isn't as good as the Wii U version but decent. Only supports 2-on-2 over WiFi (but can have 2 CPU players) due to system limitations, but local can be 4 players.
*Contains a simple Classic Arcade Mode and Story Mode, done in the style of the Subspace Emissary yet focused more on Nintendo characters and locales. The 8 Original Smash Brothers (minus Yoshi, replaced with Pit) each have their own seven-stage story with a mini-boss and final boss in which, on the way, they team up with other characters. Supports 2-player co-op off-line and online. There is also a 50 level Event Mode, single-player only.
*No Trophies, but you collect Stickers in the 3Ds version found randomly in fights and in story-mode. You can use them in the 3Ds version, yet you can also transfer them to the Wii U version, which has a new mode where stickers are allowed. Kind of like how there are NeoGeo/Arcade King of Fighter games with a similar power-up system for the main game. Stickers can't normally be found in the 3Ds version.
*Your accomplishments in the 3Ds version unlocks trophies in the Wii U version. Basically, apart from extra trophies and the sticker mode, you aren't forced to buy the 3Ds version. It's more of a single-player game you can use to practice your skills for the console version.
*Break the Target, Home Run Contest, and Board the Platforms, returning from N64 Smash, are only in the 3Ds version since it focuses on single-player.
*Would come out a month earlier than the console version so players could practice.

Wii U Version
*Same characters as in the 3Ds version, but with better models. They also have alternate costumes as opposed to simple color changes included. You can also use the 3Ds as a controller if you're more used to using it from playing the handheld.
*Some items and Assist Trophies are different from the 3Ds version.
*Way more levels compared to the 3Ds version, including a few classic levels, and most of the levels in the Wii U version are more focused on providing a fun multi-player experience while the 3Ds version has more gimmicky levels. The Wii U has multiple music for each level you get by collecting discs.
*Huge focus on multi-player, with many different modes to play including on-line tournaments, and basically the entire console version focuses on the multi-player aspect. The 3Ds can be seen as the "casual" version while the WiiU is sort of the "tournament" edition.
*No Story Mode, but a basic Classic Mode and All-Star Mode is included. There is also a Boss Rush mode where you battle Nintendo-series bosses, made for the game exclusively and different from the 3Ds' selection of bosses, which provides a challenge. Event Mode is included, with different events compared to the 3Ds version, and there are 50 Single Player ones and 50 Multi-Player Events.
*Hundreds of Trophies included obtained by completing certain events, including linking with the 3Ds version.
*There are, for casuals, a selection of mini-games included that utilize the Wii controller, similar to the Kids Club in Pokemon Stadium.

WillyFive

All the Assist Trophies should be made playable characters, and you already have enough for a huge new lineup. Add characters from the various new IP's Nintendo has made since Brawl, and we are golden.

And yeah, Mr. L needs to be there. He's better than Dr. Mario.

qq more

Willy105 said:
All the Assist Trophies should be made playable characters,
Er... ALL of them? Shadow shouldn't be playable, and I can't really picture Lakitu as a playable character. Same to Andross' AT.

WillyFive

qq more said:
Er... ALL of them? Shadow shouldn't be playable, and I can't really picture Lakitu as a playable character. Same to Andross' AT.

Maybe not Andross, but why not Shadow and Lakitu? Lakitu could function like Olimar (replace Pikmin with Spikes), and Shadow can be the Luigi to Sonic's Mario. He plays very uniquely in the games, much more so than Luigi does compared to Mario.

He could even use projectile weapons.

Codeblue

Willy105 said:
Maybe not Andross, but why not Shadow and Lakitu? Lakitu could function like Olimar (replace Pikmin with Spikes), and Shadow can be the Luigi to Sonic's Mario. He plays very uniquely in the games, much more so than Luigi does compared to Mario.

I think I'd prefer one of Sonic's friends who aren't forced and awful, of which there are two.

WillyFive

Codeblue said:
I think I'd prefer one of Sonic's friends who aren't forced and awful, of which there are two.

Well, Knuckles actually does hand to hand combat, and Tails is the second most iconic Sonic character after Sonic himself.

But the people will and do want Shadow.

Because he's Shadow.

qq more

Willy105 said:

If we're going to include a generic Mario enemy, then we might as well include a Goomba or a Koopa Troopa. Besides, HE LIVES IN A CLOUD. Assist Trophies exist for a reason.

Oh and as for Shadow, it'd be kind of stupid to have 3rd parties to include multiple reps. This is Smash Bros, 3rd parties are just in as special guests. (And even if they do include another Sonic character, it shouldn't be a stupid recolor crap character anyways)

JazzmanZ

Watch Da Birdie said:
*No Trophies, but you collect Stickers in the 3Ds version.

Sorry but thing bugs me, I personally think SSB 3DS should have trophies and not some shitty copy + paste art, because after seeing that SSB trophy of Mario and Bowser in the mii plaza puzzle thing, I'd love to see more of them.

qq more

JazzmanZ said:
Sorry but thing bugs me, I personally think SSB 3DS should have trophies and not some shitty copy + paste art, because after seeing that SSB trophy of Mario and Bowser in the mii plaza puzzle thing, I'd love to see more of them.
Yes. Viewing trophies in 3D would be amazing.

Emitan

qq more said:
yes

playing as an entire advance wars army

Shanadeus

Banned
qq more said:
Yes. Viewing trophies in 3D would be amazing.
Along with trading trophies back and forth between the 3DS and Wii U version.
They could even give it a Pokemon treatment and make some portals exclusive to the 3DS version and others exclusive to the Wii U version.

shaowebb

All I know is that if Nintendo doesn't throw in Golden Sun then they are clueless as to just how much that sequel meant to their fans. I would love to see Djinn as assists and cast from that game as playables.

BONUS: If they do go the distance and get a cameo of Mega Man as people hoped the robot masters would equate to as many assists as pokeball assists items do. I would be SO down for this.

Emitan

shaowebb said:
All I know is that if Nintendo doesn't throw in Golden Sun then they are clueless as to just how much that sequel meant to their fans. I would love to see Djinn as assists and cast from that game as playables.

BONUS: If they do go the distance and get a cameo of Mega Man as people hoped the robot masters would equate to as many assists as pokeball assists items do. I would be SO down for this.
i thought everyone thought the ds golden sun was shitty or something

mugwhump

Ridley's problem isn't that he's too big, it's that:
1) He's a pretty generically-designed purple dinosaur whose characterization mostly consists of GRRRRRR and RAAAAAAWR
2) He's gangly as fuck, which makes it a pain in the ass to tell where his hurtbox is.
zbA2u.png

Seriously, look at this shit.

Dr.Hadji said:
and heck why not some pins, forks and skewers as well.
I don't know what this means but it sounds pointy

The play you get from mutually assured destruction (everyone having a lengthy potentially 0 to death combos) is usually pretty interesting but once those combos start it really slows the dynamism game down and has the recipient of the combo with dramatically less to do.
I actually agree with this, probably my biggest gripe with Smash 64 besides controls. The Directional Influence mechanic (which is barely useful in 64) is exactly what I love about Smash's combo system. It
mostly
prevents infinites and 0-to-death combos. If you want a 0-to-death combo in melee, you have to earn it with good reads. The attacker's combo options also depend on the opponent's size, damage, fall speed, and position. And DI means that even the recipient of the combo has things to do, which I find frustrating in other fighters.

Lots of other fighters have interesting character interplay, but only smash has such a dynamic combo system. That's why I was so disappointed when Sakurai killed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom