• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throavium

Jorok Goldblade said:
5 player is likely, since the current "limits" are 4 wii remotes and 1 U-pad. 7 is a hard limit based on Bluetooth technology (8 devices can be linked, including the receiver)

I'd imagine there would be some form of asymmetrical mode, since that seems to be the focus of the multiplayer tech demos shown at e3.

Brainstorming about what kind of asymmetrical mode could be used, here's my first idea:

1 VS 4 Mode

Smash1v4.jpg

One player using the U-Pad vs a team of 4 players using Classic Controller Pros. The player with the U-Pad gets to pick 3 characters to switch between (all share the same damage meter and stock pool in a stock match) and 9 items (either through random assignment, presets, or a currency system to avoid an all-hammer or Smash Ball setup). The U-Pad player uses the touch screen to swap characters and use stored items.
God Nintendo, just give me a normal motherfucking controller.

PokéKong

Jorok Goldblade said:
That cowboy armadillo from Rolling Western could have an interesting moveset.

He'll be a heavy powerful Sonic clone.

Jorok Goldblade said:
5 player is likely, since the current "limits" are 4 wii remotes and 1 U-pad. 7 is a hard limit based on Bluetooth technology (8 devices can be linked, including the receiver)

I'd imagine there would be some form of asymmetrical mode, since that seems to be the focus of the multiplayer tech demos shown at e3.

The U Pad player controls all the stage events, what items appear, and can click on players to make them trip.

PokéKong

Green Mamba said:
Unfortunately lacks rumble. Smash without rumble feels wrong.

Maybe we'll get a Classic Controller Pro Plus with rumble and proper analog placement to compensate for the loss of GC support.

Watch Da Birdie said:
Fire Emblem Series- 2 Veterans, 1 Newcomer
Marth- He'd stay, since he's still fairly popular and his game just got released in America thanks to the remake. Roy would be the Alternate, obviously.

Ike- I like Ike, so I'll include him, although honestly since, like Roy, he was kind of representative of what Fire Emblem was currently they might drop him since it's been awhile since he was in a game. Not sure what his alternate could be, but I hear Hector from the GBA Fire Emblem was super popular and inspired Ike, being of similar strength, so him?

Fire Emblem 3DS Character- Not Chrome, though, since we don't need another blue-haired swordsman. Maybe the female lead, Liz, as I think she uses a bow and arrow which would be pretty neat. Or, since the 3DS game focuses on team-up attacks, maybe they could work similar to Ice Climbers? Eh, I dunno, but for now I'll say Liz on her own since more female characters is always good. No clue for an Alt, but maybe a popular female Fire Emblem character? Marth's girl?

I think Ike would stay, as unlike Roy who was purely for promotional purposes (even though I really liked him) Ike actually has two games that came out in America, making him arguably the most recognizable FE character in the west.

Ike was a boss anyway, they should keep him. Maybe next game they won't completely screw his recovery like they did in Brawl and give him a bit more speed so he'll be more viable.

GamerSoul

I'd honestly like Lyn to be a character in the game. Marth, Ike, and Lyn would be a good FE sqaud. Yes they all have swords but their different enough to all be unique. Plus they could always give her a Bow with a chance of a critial hit like Luigi side B.

She has a lot of potential as a character and she's already an assist trophy so they would probably choose her, Lil Mac, and Isaac as Newcomers from the current group of A. trophies.

spanks

Black-Wind said:

Back when Melee was in development, Sakurai read and answered some letters from fans. There were a few about Takamaru (I think the most popular retro character in the poll) and he basically said that Takamaru would have got in if he had appeared in a recent game. There was some other interesting stuff too, like:

-He considers Pit and Ice Climbers NES representatives, and chose them out of a list that included Balloon Fighter (there's still files of him in Melee's game data, so it got pretty far), Excitebiker, Urban Champion, and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land - he basically couldn't see them as fighters.
-Dr Mario mainly got in because someone wanted to use his theme song and Ganondorf only got in because his body shape is similar to Captain Falcon's (easier to make a clone with).
-He says it's important to represent both a young and old Link.
-Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in 64 and Melee.
-He's not a fan of Sukapon.
-He didn't think Metroid has any suitable characters besides Samus.
-Even further back, during the development of Smash 64, he said he was considering Megaman.

Green Mamba's right that it was a while back now, so it'll be interesting to see if he changes his mind on anything since then.

GamerSoul

spanks said:
Back when Melee was in development, Sakurai read and answered some letters from fans. There were a few about Takamaru (I think the most popular retro character in the poll) and he basically said that Takamaru would have got in if he had appeared in a recent game. There was some other interesting stuff too, like:

-He considers Pit and Ice Climbers NES representatives, and chose them out of a list that included Balloon Fighter (there's still files of him in Melee's game data, so it got pretty far), Excitebiker, Urban Champion, and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land - he basically couldn't see them as fighters.
-Dr Mario mainly got in because someone wanted to use his theme song and Ganondorf only got in because his body shape is similar to Captain Falcon's (easier to make a clone with).
-Even further back, during the development of Smash 64, he said he was considering Megaman.

Green Mamba's right that it was a while back now, so it'll be interesting to see if he changes his mind on anything since then.

Interesting stuff. So Capt. Syrup's chances are better now since she was brought back.
I hope they keep an open mind about some characters and really use their imagination to make them playable. if they really wanted to they could.

spanks said:
So where the hell was he in Brawl then when he would of been even more justified?

But yeah, Captain Syrup would be neat way of representing the Wario Land series. I'd prefer Mona just since it always seems like the Wario Ware cast doesn't get as much recognition as it should, but they're both cool.

spanks

Astrosanity said:
So where the hell was he in Brawl then when he would of been even more justified?

No idea. Maybe he forgot, maybe it wasn't worth the trouble, maybe he ran out of time?
I should mention that it was a response to a Megaman fan, so maybe he was just being polite.

I'd be happy with either Mona or Captain Syrup, although Syrup does hit all the underrepresented niches (female, villain, retro). Visually, though, she does need a patented Sakurai redesign (a la Pit).

spanks said:

Man, I use to follow every lil scrap of what people reported the man saying back in brawl days. It was pretty much a fucking cult.

And then I read about how the whole "brawl suggestion list" for characters that everyone had been using to rate how "likely" character A was compared to character B (I think they counted how many time he commented on a suggestion) was complete BS. It only resulted in him saying "welp, lets ask Sega for Sonic ..." because he was the most asked for character. Apparently he had already planned out all the characters he wanted before even starting the development on the game and Sonic was the last to be made (so fan's had to waste a "wish character" because Sakurai didn't have the foresight to see that if he starts adding 3rd party characters into the mix then maybe he should ask for Sonic because everyone would want that. Also fully explains his role in the Story Mode).
Oh, and he didn't de-clone Ganon because he didn't want Ganon fans to get upset at his move-set being changed ...

So now I don't pay any mind to that stuff. I wont allow Japan Time to fuck up my life again! I just list what I think would be cool and leave it at that.

Like having the 2 new S&P2 characters (Isa and Kachi), one could talk about how he comments on how well the first S&P character would fit in as a character but I give zero fucks, I think those 2 would be great picks. They're unique and they came from a game born from fan praise. I would fully expect them to be like Fox and Wolf/ Falco (as in, clone/ clone-ish to each other by sharing their unique move-set) but it would be nice if they were unique.

I fully expect Palutena and Medusa to appear as characters. He fucking loves his babies (just ask his favorite Kirby Character, MK ... who is now declared so broken he is banned). plus, they're getting short animations based on them to help promote the game and he will likely wont to have KI promoted the fuck up now that it's his baby. Could be like Zelda in that she has attacks based on things Pit get's from her and Medusa can have attacks based on w/e she does ... like how Ganon should have been done.

I want Mewtwo back and some fucking 5th gen Pokemon. I would love if there were another Pokemon Trainer character (They could be called "Gym Leader/ Contest Coordinator/ Pokemon Champion/ Rival Trainer (could have a Samurott/ Pignite and Snivy to contrast PT's Pokemon) Dragon Master (has the 3 non-legendary Dragon types in gen V)" or any other title from the games). I have noticed that he adds in a decent amount of new Pokemon characters every game (there were effectively 4 new Pokemon characters in Brawl ) so I'm sure we will see more than just one new comer. Sure someone will replace Lucario but outside of that I'm sure there will be others.

Travis Touchdown will be in. Not because of fame or anything but because, much like with Snake, Sakurai is close to his creator and Suda51 has been very open with the fact that he would love for it to happen. Arnt they working on a protect together?

I actually would like for Dillo to be in there. Give a shout out to the 3DS-DownLoad games.

Krystal fucking needs to be in there but I don't see it happening sadly.

I wish Sheik would just become a different character and be a different member of their clan if only to stop them from acting as if OoT just has to be the end-all-be--all for LoZ in SSB ... but nope, they will all have the same attacks from brawl pretty much and just look different.

Would be nice to see some new 2nd party characters from those RPGs on the Wii that we wont see in the states ... IDK anything about those characters though so w/e.

I could see MegaMan getting in but it seems like Crapcom wants him to fade away into nothingness and Ryu would just be ... ehh.

I think there will be a lot of clones to go with the "customize your character" stuff.
I would love for there to be a "surprise" 3rd party character from a game series that hasn't been on a Nintendo system before but is in the process of being brung over to the WiiU. Like Bayonetta or Chell

That's pretty much what I feel. :]

Mael

Astrosanity said:

But yeah, Captain Syrup would be neat way of representing the Wario Land series. I'd prefer Mona just since it always seems like the Wario Ware cast doesn't get as much recognition as it should, but they're both cool.

Huh maybe Capcom disagreed?

Mael said:
Huh maybe Capcom disagreed?

Keiji Inafune when asked whether Mega Man was going to be in Brawl said:
Well, I really do love Super Smash Brothers. It’s a great series…but, Nintendo hasn’t asked me yet if they can use Mega Man in their game. I’m still waiting…we have a little bit of time left, it’s not coming out for another few months. They might get around to asking us if we’d like to put Mega Man in Super Smash Brothers. Maybe if somebody from Nintendo is listening to this podcast, they’ll give me a call.

KevinCow

Banned
Black-Wind said:
I would love for there to be a "surprise" 3rd party character from a game series that hasn't been on a Nintendo system before but is in the process of being brung over to the WiiU. Like Bayonetta or Chell
I've said it before, but any company who's planning on bringing stuff over to the Wii but not begging Nintendo to let their character in Smash is both insane and stupid. It's easily the most effective form of advertising possible on a Nintendo system. There are a lot of gamers out there who only or mainly game on Nintendo systems, who would easily buy a game for no reason other than, "Hey, that guy was cool in Smas Bros."

I can pretty much guarantee we're going to get at least one third-party character who's more modern than classic, like maybe Ezio from Assassin's Creed or Death from Darksiders 2 (since Nintendo seemed to be pushing that as a major third-party Wii U game), and I can already hear the bitching about how he got in over some other much requested character.

...Also your mention of Chell intrigues me. Now I'm trying to figure out how portals could work in a Smash Bros. game.

PokéKong

We will probably get more MGS representation, seeing as how now the first Metal Gear game actually on a Nintendo platforming in 11 years is coming out, and the first Metal Gear SOLID installment on one ever. Probably The Boss to promote 3.

GamerSoul

Professor Beef said:
He sounds so desperate there.
KuGsj.gif

hah he does. He probably had evey detail for megaman worked out just in case. :(

KevinCow said:
I've said it before, but any company who's planning on bringing stuff over to the Wii but not begging Nintendo to let their character in Smash is both insane and stupid. It's easily the most effective form of advertising possible on a Nintendo system. There are a lot of gamers out there who only or mainly game on Nintendo systems, who would easily buy a game for no reason other than, "Hey, that guy was cool in Smas Bros."

Truth. So much of it. DL content would be nice with this too. I don't care how badass your character is...he/she will fit in smash and hilarity will ensue. I imagine a perfect scenario where a game is revealed for the WiiU and simultaneously revealed to be a DL character for Smash. Toogood to be tru maybe but nothing would b able to top that hype for awhile.

I'd be happy with either Mona or Captain Syrup, although Syrup does hit all the underrepresented niches (female, villain, retro). Visually, though, she does need a patented Sakurai redesign (a la Pit).

Exactly. A resign would probably be awesome as hell. She'd definitely have am interesting story. She would be taking every Universe's currensy.

KevinCow said:
Maybe things will change this time seeing as brawl was the first game to allow 3rd party characters and it seems like everyone expected the other party to call if MegaMan is anything to go off of. Like I said, I'm sure Travis will be in.

Maybe with all the new shit going on with 3rd party devs we will see some ask ... or Nintendo ask them.

...Also your mention of Chell intrigues me. Now I'm trying to figure out how portals could work in a Smash Bros. game.
The way I thought of it might make it broken as hell :/
But in addition to that she would have companion cubes and turrets lol

qq more said:
Ugh, Inafune should of have called Sakurai when they still had the time to add characters.
And Sakurai should have had the common sense to call Sega up the second he decided to put Snake in there instead of saying "fuck it, I'ma gonna act like this WOULDN'T be the most wanted character now and allow fans to waste a "fan wish character" slot on what should have likely been the first 3rd party character to appear".

BY2K

Membero Americo
If third parties want their characters to be in Smash, can't they just be the one to make the first step and call Nintendo themselves before waiting for THEM to do it?

I mean, you want Mega Man in Smash, just give Nintendo a call.

Heck, I'm sure it would work for a Nintendo vs. Capcom game.

I'm half-expecting a S-E rep but I dunno whether it'd be Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy since they'd be a lot of issues surrounding it.

Both have enough relevance to Nintendo but while the former's enormous in Japan the latter's more well-known overall world-wide. But then that raises the point of who would represent FF if they went down that path? You could use someone iconic like Black Mage or a moogle, but then you'd have tens of thousands demanding Cloud; but what relevance does he have to Nintendo? Would it be okay to have a character who's only appeared on competitor's systems show up if he was representing the series as a whole rather than FFVII?

it doesn't help I haven't played DQ and do not give two shits about FF

sfried

Astrosanity said:
Would it be okay to have a character who's only appeared on competitor's systems show up if he was representing the series as a whole rather than FFVII
Hey, it happened with Snake...
(
For the record, Cloud has debuted on a Nintendo console via Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
)

BlackWind said:
Travis Touchdown will be in. Not because of fame or anything but because, much like with Snake, Sakurai is close to his creator and Suda51 has been very open with the fact that he would love for it to happen. Arnt they working on a protect together?
I could see it now: Travis Touchdown calling SS Zelda "Moeh!~".

PokéKong

BY2K said:
If third parties want their characters to be in Smash, can't they just be the one to make the first step and call Nintendo themselves before waiting for THEM to do it?

oh4uvr.png

It's not like Mega Man wants to be in Smash Bros or anything, baka!

Codeblue

Astrosanity said:
I'm half-expecting a S-E rep but I dunno whether it'd be Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy since they'd be a lot of issues surrounding it.

Both have enough relevance to Nintendo but while the former's enormous in Japan the latter's more well-known overall world-wide. But then that raises the point of who would represent FF if they went down that path? You could use someone iconic like Black Mage or a moogle, but then you'd have tens of thousands demanding Cloud; but what relevance does he have to Nintendo? Would it be okay to have a character who's only appeared on competitor's systems show up if he was representing the series as a whole rather than FFVII?

it doesn't help I haven't played DQ and do not give two shits about FF

I think the best route here is to ditch DQ and FF and go for a Chrono Trigger rep. Iconic, linked to a Nintendo platform and imagine the music.

GamerSoul

Black-Wind said:
Man, I use to follow every lil scrap of what people reported the man saying back in brawl days. It was pretty much a fucking cult.

And then I read about how the whole "brawl suggestion list" for characters that everyone had been using to rate how "likely" character A was compared to character B (I think they counted how many time he commented on a suggestion) was complete BS. It only resulted in him saying "welp, lets ask Sega for Sonic ..." because he was the most asked for character. Apparently he had already planned out all the characters he wanted before even starting the development on the game and Sonic was the last to be made (so fan's had to waste a "wish character" because Sakurai didn't have the foresight to see that if he starts adding 3rd party characters into the mix then maybe he should ask for Sonic because everyone would want that. Also fully explains his role in the Story Mode).
Oh, and he didn't de-clone Ganon because he didn't want Ganon fans to get upset at his move-set being changed ...

So now I don't pay any mind to that stuff. I wont allow Japan Time to fuck up my life again! I just list what I think would be cool and leave it at that.

I feel ya. Didn't they decide the roster early on? I think if more time and resources were put into the roster then the single player I think they could have really beefed up the cast and tweeked the gameplay some more.

This time i'll just see how it goes with mre sleep i between too. lol.

Kiiji

Banned
Starphoenix said:
The only third party series I have seen Sakurai show any kind of passing interest in is Dragon Quest.

Huh? He tweets all the time about different FPSes and Street Fighter

spanks

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Sakurai didn't actually say he had considered / was considering Mega Man, he just commented on how many people were hoping for Mega Man.
You're probably right, I was relying on other people's translations since everything was in Japanese.

On Third Party characters,

- SquareEnix seems stand-offish about their properties at the moment; they threw a hissy-fit when Sakurai wanted to use a song from SMRPG (Geno's Woods, I think). They have done a few crossovers, but only when they have complete developmental control. Even in Mario Hoops, they only used minor characters like Cactuar, Moogle, etc. If they do join, I would say Black Mage is most likely, from a potential list of Geno, Cloud, Crono, Dragon Quest dude, Slime and Sora.

- Capcom is a shoe-in for sure, with Megaman and maybe even Ryu if they go crazy. Or Monster Hunter fella if Capcom pushes to rep a more recent success.

- Namco also has ties (Link in SC2, Starfox Assault, Pacman Vs, Triforce Arcade hardware w/Sega), so they have a good chance. And like Capcom, they love their crossovers. They would go for their kiddy mascot Pacman, although Klonoa could be fun too.

- Sega would love a bigger presence, and could get it easily, but that's up to Sakurai. I think Sonic is enough, personally.

- Konami could go either way; they've never really shown interest as a company. Even Snake is on shaky ground if Kojima doesn't push for him again. Besides the obvious Simon Belmont, Goemon's had a plentiful presence on almost every Nintendo console and would be awesome, though unlikely.

- Tecmo have the most recent working relationship with Nintendo, and their mainstay series, Ninja Gaiden, was pretty influential on the NES. Not to mention Ninja Gaiden 3 is looking to be a launch title for WiiU. On the other hand, they are a small company without much pull, and Nintendo probably doesn't care about Ryu.

- HudsonSoft, now a part of Konami, has collaborated in the past, even with a crossover (Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman). Again, it's up to Nintendo and anyone on Hudson's side to get things going. Bomberman would be the obvious choice. Bonk would be their only other usable character, kinda representing the Turbo consoles (which have a decent presence on the Wii Shop).

- I'm unsure Suda will get Travis in; he doesn't quite fit and would only represent a small indie developer instead of a major publisher with a history. On the other hand, it could be a personal favour a la Snake.

- Level 5 has the best chance of the smaller publishers with Proff Layton, only problem is the competition from the big guys.

- I also think Bub and Bob (for Taito), Marco (for SNK) and the Harvest Moon farmer (for Natsume) would be great, but won't even be considered.

The Western companies have only the slightest chance, and only due to Nintendo's recent minglings.

- EA seems close, but don't have any suitable characters besides throwaways like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger or Henry Hatsworth.

- Ubisoft have a recent Wii-heavy mascot in the Rabbids, and characters with more history in the Prince of Persia and Rayman.

- THQ could use Maxwell from Scribblenauts or De Blob to represent the DS/Wii generation. No doubt Nintendo doesn't even know they exist though.

- Activision hasn't shown much interest in WiiU/3DS, but have a decent collection in Commander Keen, Pitfall Harry, Spyro (repping Insomniac in my mind) and Crash (repping Naughty Dog). Again, Nintendo and Sakurai don't seem to care that much about Western properties.

- Eidos: Raziel? Gex? Lara? Nope.

- Banjo-Kazooie is the one perfect character(s) that will never get in. Ever. :(

Snakey

I decided go into some details that I think are important in regards to speculation pertaining Fire Emblem in Smash Bros.

On Sakurai and Fire Emblem:
Sakurai has called himself a big fan of the Fire Emblem series. He has gone as far as to be the interviewer for the Iwata Asks feature for Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. Sakurai has stated that his favorite character in the series is Nabarl.

On Marth in Smash Bros.:
Marth is the face of Fire Emblem in Japan. Fire Emblem Monsho no Nazo is to Fire Emblem as Ocarina of Time is to Zelda or Star Fox 64 is to Star Fox. FE3 is by far the most popular game in the series in Japan, and sold by far the most copies. Marth was also the main lord for four games in the series (two games prior to Melee). Marth was also by far the most requested character to represent the Fire Emblem series in a poll that Sakurai had prior to beginning development on Melee (by comparison, Celice got only four votes, while Sigurd and Leaf only got two votes each).

On Roy in Smash Bros.:
Contrary to popular belief, Roy was not placed in at the request of Intelligent Systems, but rather it was Sakurai's idea. Sakurai said that placing in Roy was his idea and that he did it primarily to promote "not just a new game, but the series as a whole."

On Ike in Smash Bros:
Sakurai stated in an interview with Famitsu that Ike got in Smash Bros. because he wanted Fire Emblem to have a new character from a more recent installment and he did not know who to put in. Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for help regarding this matter, and Intelligent Systems suggest Ike to Sakurai. It is important to keep in mind that FE9 was the worst selling game in the series in Japan (yes, even selling more poorly than Thracia 776). The only three games in the series to sell below 200K in Japan were FE9, FE5, and FE10. Another interesting thing to note is that Sakurai said he originally planned for Ike to have the Ragnell's ranged attack, however, he felt this made Ike unbalance so it was scrapped.

On Roy being cut from Brawl:
Mewtwo and Roy being cut was likely the result of time constraints. Sakurai has gone on the record to say that he intended more characters to be in Brawl's roster but was not able to implement them due to time constraints.

Those who peered into the game's coding have found character folders for these characters:
- Mewtwo
- Roy
- Dr. Mario
- Dixie Kong
- Plusle & Minun
- Toon Zelda
- Toon Sheik

They are often referred to as being the "Forbidden 7" by the Smash community. There are known reasons as to why some of these characters were dropped. For Dixie Kong, Sakurai mentioned in a Famitsu interview that he originally intended for Diddy & Dixie to be a duo when fighting, however, his team was unable to get team play mechanics to work for them, so Dixie was scrapped. This may have also been the reason that Plusle & Minun was scrapped as well, since they would have utilized a team-based moveset of some sort (however, there are many who also believe that their team play may have been more akin to the Ice Climbers than what Sakurai had planned for Diddy & Dixie). As for Dr. Mario, Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik, the probable reason as to why they were dropped were possibly Sakurai thinking they did not differentiate themselves enough to be placed on Brawl's roster (as well as for time constraint reasons).

Most Smash fans believe that Sakurai's original plan for the final roster of Brawl was to include Mewtwo and Roy included as playable characters. This is inferred from a file listing from one of Sakurai's scrapped features for Brawl, unique victory themes for every character on Brawl's roster (except Wolf).

snd_bgm_Z01_FMARIO
snd_bgm_Z02_FDONKEY
snd_bgm_Z03_FLINK
snd_bgm_Z04_FSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z05_FYOSSY
snd_bgm_Z06_FKIRBY
snd_bgm_Z07_FFOX
snd_bgm_Z08_FPIKACHU
snd_bgm_Z09_FLUIGI
snd_bgm_Z10_FCAPTAIN
snd_bgm_Z11_FNESS
snd_bgm_Z12_FKUOPA
snd_bgm_Z13_FPEACH
snd_bgm_Z14_FZELDA
snd_bgm_Z15_FSHEIK
snd_bgm_Z16_FICHICLIMBER
snd_bgm_Z17_FMARTH
snd_bgm_Z18_FGAMEWATCH
snd_bgm_Z19_FFALCO
snd_bgm_Z20_FGANON
snd_bgm_Z21_FWARIO
snd_bgm_Z22_FMETAKNIGHT
snd_bgm_Z23_FPITT
snd_bgm_Z24_FZEROSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z25_FPIKMIN
snd_bgm_Z26_FLUCAS
snd_bgm_Z27_FDIDDY
snd_bgm_Z28_FPOKETRAINER
snd_bgm_Z32_FDEDEDE
snd_bgm_Z33_FLICARIO
snd_bgm_Z34_FIKE
snd_bgm_Z35_FROBOT
snd_bgm_Z37_FPURIN
snd_bgm_Z38_FMYU2
snd_bgm_Z39_FROY
snd_bgm_Z41_FTOONLINK
snd_bgm_Z46_FSNAKE
snd_bgm_Z47_FSONIC

This listing showed that Mewtwo and Roy were kept on the roster long after the other characters for the Forbidden 7 had been dropped. The conventional wisdom is that Sonic being placed in so late in the game's development, that development resources had to be allocated from the final five characters that were in development (Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Link, and Wolf) toward Sonic (since unlike the other five, there was no prior planning for his moveset). Jigglypuff was placed on a higher priority due to her seniority in the series, while Toon Link and Wolf were kept because they were new characters, and Sakurai wanted to implement as many new characters as possible. It was thus that Mewtwo and Roy were dropped as a result of priorities and time constraints. It also shows that if Mewtwo and Roy were in Brawl, they would have had no role in the SSE (since their listing is between Jigglypuff and Toon Link).

I hope this helps clarify a few things.

spanks said:
- SquareEnix seems stand-offish about their properties at the moment; they threw a hissy-fit when Sakurai wanted to use a song from SMRPG (Geno's Woods, I think).

I don't want to look like a dick, but that isn't really true either. There was an unused track labeled something like "Mushroom Forest", which was probably going to be from the second Mario and Luigi game and not Super Mario RPG. And Sakurai did say there was something he wanted in the game that he couldn't get in because of rights issues, but there's no way it was Geno - it was probably just some character who appeared as a sticker or trophy that Nintendo didn't really own.

Could of been a Rare character or something from Diddy Kong Racing, which has always been a source of limbo in terms of who owns what (Nintendo owns Diddy and the kremling, Rare owns the rest, but then who owns the music or the rights to the gameplay mechanics?) Remember hearing about a couple Rare characters like Lupus showing up in that Japanese character discussion thing for Brawl and apparently Sakurai came across as unaware Nintendo didn't own the rights to any of them (anymore at least).

Seconding that BK never having a chance to be in Smash is always going to be a major bummer. They would of been a unique heavy-ish but also flying character and at the time of 64 and Melee it honestly looked like the series was going to continue develop into one of Nintendo's big franchises before the buyout happened.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
Sakurai didn't actually say he had considered / was considering Mega Man, he just commented on how many people were hoping for Mega Man.

I believe after Brawl shipped, Sakurai commented that nobody from Capcom had approached him about putting Mega Man in the game. So the two requirements are:

1.) Character must have appeared on Nintendo hardware
2.) Owner of the character must approach Nintendo. Sakurai does not go courting third party guest characters.

Snakey

The only newcomer left that I want for the Smash series is Ridley. I have wanted him to be a playable character in Smash Bros. for over a decade

I also really want Roy and Mewtwo to return. Its a shame because they almost made it in Brawl.

GamerSoul

Snakey said:
I decided go into some details that I think are important in regards to speculation pertaining Fire Emblem in Smash Bros.

On Sakurai and Fire Emblem:
Sakurai has called himself a big fan of the Fire Emblem series. He has gone as far as to be the interviewer for the Iwata Asks feature for Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. Sakurai has stated that his favorite character in the series is Nabarl.

On Marth in Smash Bros.:
Marth is the face of Fire Emblem in Japan. Fire Emblem Monsho no Nazo is to Fire Emblem as Ocarina of Time is to Zelda or Star Fox 64 is to Star Fox. FE3 is by far the most popular game in the series in Japan, and sold by far the most copies. Marth was also the main lord for four games in the series (two games prior to Melee). Marth was also by far the most requested character to represent the Fire Emblem series in a poll that Sakurai had prior to beginning development on Melee (by comparison, Celice got only four votes, while Sigurd and Leaf only got two votes each).

On Roy in Smash Bros.:
Contrary to popular belief, Roy was not placed in at the request of Intelligent Systems, but rather it was Sakurai's idea. Sakurai said that placing in Roy was his idea and that he did it primarily to promote "not just a new game, but the series as a whole."

On Ike in Smash Bros:
Sakurai stated in an interview with Famitsu that Ike got in Smash Bros. because he wanted Fire Emblem to have a new character from a more recent installment and he did not know who to put in. Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for help regarding this matter, and Intelligent Systems suggest Ike to Sakurai. It is important to keep in mind that FE9 was the worst selling game in the series in Japan (yes, even selling more poorly than Thracia 776). The only three games in the series to sell below 200K in Japan were FE9, FE5, and FE10. Another interesting thing to note is that Sakurai said he originally planned for Ike to have the Ragnell's ranged attack, however, he felt this made Ike unbalance so it was scrapped.

On Roy being cut from Brawl:
Mewtwo and Roy being cut was likely the result of time constraints. Sakurai has gone on the record to say that he intended more characters to be in Brawl's roster but was not able to implement them due to time constraints.

Those who peered into the game's coding have found character folders for these characters:
- Mewtwo
- Roy
- Dr. Mario
- Dixie Kong
- Plusle & Minun
- Toon Zelda
- Toon Sheik

They are often referred to as being the "Forbidden 7" by the Smash community. There are known reasons as to why some of these characters were dropped. For Dixie Kong, Sakurai mentioned in a Famitsu interview that he originally intended for Diddy & Dixie to be a duo when fighting, however, his team was unable to get team play mechanics to work for them, so Dixie was scrapped. This may have also been the reason that Plusle & Minun was scrapped as well, since they would have utilized a team-based moveset of some sort (however, there are many who also believe that their team play may have been more akin to the Ice Climbers than what Sakurai had planned for Diddy & Dixie). As for Dr. Mario, Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik, the probable reason as to why they were dropped were possibly Sakurai thinking they did not differentiate themselves enough to be placed on Brawl's roster (as well as for time constraint reasons).

Most Smash fans believe that Sakurai's original plan for the final roster of Brawl was to include Mewtwo and Roy included as playable characters. This is inferred from a file listing from one of Sakurai's scrapped features for Brawl, unique victory themes for every character on Brawl's roster (except Wolf).

snd_bgm_Z01_FMARIO
snd_bgm_Z02_FDONKEY
snd_bgm_Z03_FLINK
snd_bgm_Z04_FSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z05_FYOSSY
snd_bgm_Z06_FKIRBY
snd_bgm_Z07_FFOX
snd_bgm_Z08_FPIKACHU
snd_bgm_Z09_FLUIGI
snd_bgm_Z10_FCAPTAIN
snd_bgm_Z11_FNESS
snd_bgm_Z12_FKUOPA
snd_bgm_Z13_FPEACH
snd_bgm_Z14_FZELDA
snd_bgm_Z15_FSHEIK
snd_bgm_Z16_FICHICLIMBER
snd_bgm_Z17_FMARTH
snd_bgm_Z18_FGAMEWATCH
snd_bgm_Z19_FFALCO
snd_bgm_Z20_FGANON
snd_bgm_Z21_FWARIO
snd_bgm_Z22_FMETAKNIGHT
snd_bgm_Z23_FPITT
snd_bgm_Z24_FZEROSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z25_FPIKMIN
snd_bgm_Z26_FLUCAS
snd_bgm_Z27_FDIDDY
snd_bgm_Z28_FPOKETRAINER
snd_bgm_Z32_FDEDEDE
snd_bgm_Z33_FLICARIO
snd_bgm_Z34_FIKE
snd_bgm_Z35_FROBOT
snd_bgm_Z37_FPURIN
snd_bgm_Z38_FMYU2
snd_bgm_Z39_FROY
snd_bgm_Z41_FTOONLINK
snd_bgm_Z46_FSNAKE
snd_bgm_Z47_FSONIC

This listing showed that Mewtwo and Roy were kept on the roster long after the other characters for the Forbidden 7 had been dropped. The conventional wisdom is that Sonic being placed in so late in the game's development, that development resources had to be allocated from the final five characters that were in development (Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Link, and Wolf) toward Sonic (since unlike the other five, there was no prior planning for his moveset). Jigglypuff was placed on a higher priority due to her seniority in the series, while Toon Link and Wolf were kept because they were new characters, and Sakurai wanted to implement as many new characters as possible. It was thus that Mewtwo and Roy were dropped as a result of priorities and time constraints. It also shows that if Mewtwo and Roy were in Brawl, they would have had no role in the SSE (since their listing is between Jigglypuff and Toon Link).

I hope this helps clarify a few things.

Didn't know he was a fan of the FE series. Very ineresting read. It clarified a lot for me and again having DL content would be very nice to have for those time constraints.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Professor Beef said:
If there really was a SE rep, it'd be either one of the FF characters that showed up in the Mario Sports games, or Geno.

Man, the Mario Sports games would've been a perfect time to bring back Geno and Mallow. :/ If they ever make a Mario 3-on-3 Hoops 2, they should include Mario, Geno, and Mallow as one team, and Mack, Bowyer, and Yaridovich as another. I'd eat that up.

BY2K said:

Heck, I'm sure it would work for a Nintendo vs. Capcom game.
I don't think anyone can place the blame on them.

It's the first time 3rd party characters appeared in SSB so I wouldn't blame them for NOT knowing that they could contact Nintendo and ask. It would seem pretty intrusive to go "Hey, I know you're doing your own thing and all but ... mind putting in my character that's gonna take allot of redesigning to fit in along with making a workable move-set true to their series and planing stages and music to use?" so I fully see why MegaMan's creator thought that if Sakurai wanted MegaMan he would just contact Capcom and that he wouldn't have to push it on him.

Like with SC ... did Namco seek out Nintendo to get Link in there or did Nintendo ask them if they could add in Link? I wonder because it seems more likely that Namco asked Nintendo because ... Namco is the ones making the game and thought it would be cool. Same with the SW characters.

And did Sakurai ever actually say "HEY, if you want to have your character in Brawl then contact us and we will see what we can do ..." to 3rd parties?

This is why I think Travis is VERY likely to show up. It's far more easier to say "Man, you know what would be fucking AWESOME!? If Travis/ Snake was in SSB! Just think about it ... it could work like blah blah blah!" when you're close to the guy making the game and have that level of comfort.

IDK ... maybe fans should beg interviewers to spread the word to 3rd parties that if they think their character would be great in Smash (and would like to expose their IP to a fuck-ton of Nintendo fans on one of the hottest Nintendo game series out there) then all they have to do is contact Nintendo/ Sora/ Sakurai and see if they can figure something out.
sfried said:
I could see it now: Travis Touchdown calling SS Zelda "Moeh!~".

That should be one of his taunts!
KuGsj.gif
GamerSoul said:
I feel ya. Didn't they decide the roster early on? I think if more time and resources were put into the roster then the single player I think they could have really beefed up the cast and tweeked the gameplay some more.

This time i'll just see how it goes with mre sleep i between too. lol.
I'm hoping he just has some other team (maybe the KI team?) make the story mode for 3DS and let the WU team focus on the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom