• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sucks; Pious Augustus would be a pretty unique addition to Smash and I'm pretty sure Nintendo still owns the rights to him if they own the ED name.

236497-pious.jpg

SmithnCo

I've said it before but with ED2 being heavily rumored I wish the series was actually present in Smash. The stage possibilities alone are great, imagine sanity effects happening during a fight.

Too bad it probably won't happen. ;|

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So, I was able to find the 2008 Famitsu articles online, and they really don't bode too well for SSB4's roster. Also, Wikipedia left out the fact that Sakurai was joking about the Animal Crossing character -- context changes everything.

Here are some of the more telling blurbs:

- Even though fans want a bigger roster, it took all of the development team's hardest efforts to get 39 characters into the game.

- Nintendo has not created many new character-based series since Melee, so it is hard for Sakurai to add more meaningful characters. He is against adding unimportant characters just to beef up the roster count.

- Because of this, if there is to be a SSB4, Sakurai does not think there will be a lot of new characters.

- Sakurai realizes that making a fourth Smash Bros. will be very difficult. He will not be able to use Brawl's data to assist him because the assets will be too outdated for a high-definition console.

- He will have to do something drastically different for SSB4 so it stands apart from the last game. He will not just add to Brawl.

- Pikmin and Animal Crossing are the only Nintendo series introduced since 2001 that Sakurai feels are worthy of being given playable characters. With that said, Animal Crossing characters are too far removed from Smash Bros.' violent image. Sakurai jokes that he could have added an Animal Crossing character with a net and shovel.

To be fair, aren't Brawl's assets also "redone" versions?

NeonZ

- Sakurai realizes that making a fourth Smash Bros. will be very difficult. He will not be able to use Brawl's data to assist him because the assets will be too outdated for a high-definition console.

- He will have to do something drastically different for SSB4 so it stands apart from the last game. He will not just add to Brawl.

He pretty much already back tracked on that though. IIRC, in the SSB WiiU/3DS interview he said that he planned to start with Brawl and change things from there. I guess the 3DS version might have changed his plans.

He still kept the same line about how adding many characters wouldn't be interesting though.

That sucks; Pious Augustus would be a pretty unique addition to Smash and I'm pretty sure Nintendo still owns the rights to him if they own the ED name.

236497-pious.jpg
Not to be prude, but wouldn't that be a bit... graphic, for a Smash game? I mean, if Sakurai's gone out of his way to disallow realistic guns, I'm sure a guy who still apparently has rotting flesh on his otherwise skeletal face might be pushing it.

Marth definitely needs to have his new outfit (and new Falchion) in this game. The redesign is too awesome to overlook.

And Roy needs to be put back into Smash after getting the utterly badass new threads.

Snakey

I mentioned earlier in this topic that Roy is very popular in Japan. Heck, Roy is one of the two most wanted newcomers for Smash 4 in Japan (the other being Mewtwo). FE6 was the third highest selling game in the FE series in Japan.

I would really love to see Roy's re-design used in Smash 4.

Also, Krom in FE13 has both Aether and Quick Draw, so I think if Krom does make it in Smash 4, he would be a luigi-fied clone at the very least.

Anth0ny

I am loving that new design for Roy. Hoping to see him return in Smash 4.

Also, Kid Icarus spoilers.
Pyrrhon is fucking awesome. I want him in. Make it happen, Sakurai.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I don't mind Sakurai putting as many Kid Icarus characters as he wants into the game. Great games with great characters deserve the representation in Smash.

Not to be prude, but wouldn't that be a bit... graphic, for a Smash game? I mean, if Sakurai's gone out of his way to disallow realistic guns, I'm sure a guy who still apparently has rotting flesh on his otherwise skeletal face might be pushing it.
Oh I realize he's way way out there for obvious rating reasons and I just meant he'd be neat as a 'what the fuck' addition, but if they dial a few things back on him like they did for Snake he'd be a neat undead fighter who could come with a whole bunch of fun insanity effects.

Also that Roy redesign is pretty neat looking. Is the new Fire Emblem for the 3DS, ignoring the fact I don't own a 3DS and don't intend on getting one for awhile worth getting as a beginner to the series (I'm assuming it's coming West-side)?

So, I was able to find the 2008 Famitsu articles online, and they really don't bode too well for SSB4's roster. Also, Wikipedia left out the fact that Sakurai was joking about the Animal Crossing character -- context changes everything.

Here are some of the more telling blurbs:

- Even though fans want a bigger roster, it took all of the development team's hardest efforts to get 39 characters into the game.

- Nintendo has not created many new character-based series since Melee, so it is hard for Sakurai to add more meaningful characters. He is against adding unimportant characters just to beef up the roster count.

- Because of this, if there is to be a SSB4, Sakurai does not think there will be a lot of new characters.

- Pikmin and Animal Crossing are the only Nintendo series introduced since 2001 that Sakurai feels are worthy of being given playable characters. With that said, Animal Crossing characters are too far removed from Smash Bros.' violent image. Sakurai jokes that he could have added an Animal Crossing character with a net and shovel.

Feh, He said a lot of things that he never kept his words. I'm going to keep my eyes on character roster since it will be very interesting to see what he's going to add since he made those statements.
I agree.

I think it's very important to take anything he said with a gain of salt.
Not only was this said in 2008 (which was in the Wii generation were Nintendo actually canned new "core" IPs like Project HAMMER in favor of casual titles) it was said before a lots of interesting things happened for Nintendo. For example, they brang back Punch Out!!! and S&P (He himself renewed KI). And for New Ips they went on a JRPG run by making IPs like Xenoblade and The Last Story/ Pandora's Tower (at the very least all of them should be owned by Nintendo and Xenoblade was at least made by a 2nd/1st party company).

And on top of that there's an ever growing number of long running Ips with no characters on the roster like Golden Sun/ Advanced Wars. There's no "lack" of characters that could take a spot and even Sakurai knows it (He states that he didn't want to tell an interviewer what characters he wanted in brawl that he couldn't get in because he might put them in the next game).

Maybe it's not concrete, but he did flat-out say that he doesn't think any post-2001 Nintendo series could get playable characters in SSB. Golden Sun is pretty much included in that.

It doesn't help that Brawl was closer to the last big Golden Sun release than the next Smash Bros. will be, and even it didn't get a playable Golden Sun character. I don't think Golden Sun and Advance Wars are "ever-growing", either.

Maybe it's not concrete, but he did flat-out say that he doesn't think any post-2001 Nintendo series could get playable characters in SSB. Golden Sun is pretty much included in that.

It doesn't help that Brawl was closer to the last big Golden Sun release than the next Smash Bros. will be, and even it didn't get a playable Golden Sun character. I don't think Golden Sun and Advance Wars are "ever-growing", either.

It says that because of Nintendo not making lots of new Character Driven IPs in the time between Melee and Brawl or w/e Sakurai thinks it would be "hard" to include more new relevant characters as of 2008 ... he never said "Well damn, none of the few characters Nintendo has come up with in the time between Melee and Brawl are good enough to get in soooo .... yeah:/".

And the last Golden Sun game was Golden Sun: Dark Dawn which was released in 2010 ... 2 years after that was stated. Unless by "Big Golden Sun release" you're referring to some arbitrary goal post I'm not getting or if there's some kinda retro-active effect in place (not sure how Dark Dawn being released closer to brawl means anything when it was released years after brawl. Hell, Sakurai even implies that something "from Melee to Brawl" could get in in that statement from the way I'm reading it so there's no telling how "new" a title or series must be to be relevant in his eyes).

As for Advanced Wars ... it's a franchise with 15 titles under it's belt (It's apart of the Nintendo War series along with "Battalion Wars" games. It's one of those series that keeps going). The latest game in the series came out like a month or so before Brawl in the US.

In both cases I think it's reasonably to expect more titles in these series. One could argue that at the very least Sakurai has taken notice of these series with brawls ATs, showing that they're not off his radar and he at least knows of them.

KevinCow

Banned
And the last Golden Sun game was Golden Sun: Dark Dawn which was released in 2010 ... 2 years after that was stated. Unless by "Big Golden Sun release" you're referring to some arbitrary goal post I'm not getting or if there's some kinda retro-active effect in place (not sure how Dark Dawn being released closer to brawl means anything when it was released years after brawl. Hell, Sakurai even implies that something "from Melee to Brawl" could get in in that statement from the way I'm reading it so there's no telling how "new" a title or series must be to be relevant in his eyes).

He was saying Golden Sun 2, the last Golden Sun game as of Brawl's release, was closer to Brawl than Golden Sun 3, the last Golden Sun as of Smash 4's release, will be to Smash 4.

He's wrong - GS2 to Brawl was 5 years, GS3 to Smash 4 will probably be 4-5 years - but that's what he was saying. Why would you think otherwise? How could Dark Dawn impact Golden Sun's chances to get a character in Brawl when Brawl came out two years earlier? Why would you even consider the possibility that that was what he was talking about?

cednym

Banned
I'm so confident that there aren't going to be any playable Golden Sun characters in this game that I'm willing to bet on it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm so confident that there aren't going to be any playable Golden Sun characters in this game that I'm willing to bet on it.

I wouldn't be surprised, however I will support Golden Sun's inclusion as playable character because I thought they deserve it.

Snakey

I have been feeling that Golden Sun character would not get in for a while. I think the prospects for a Golden Sun character are very overrated. The third game did very poorly, while the first two games were very successful.

Also, here is a larger picture of Roy's re-design:

dlc0426a_img.jpg

The character designer for The Last Story did it, and I must say I would love to see an entire Fire Emblem with his character designs.

I bet A LOT of people would love to use this Roy in Smash 4.

If it becomes too much of an issue, he could always be a bit more stylized.

PK Gaming

After playing through Xenoblade chronicles, I actually want Shulk to make it in the next game.

I "think" he's a first party character so he definitely has a legitimate chance.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just damn @ Roy Art.

He's one of my favorite character in Melee, but I wouldn't be biter if he didn't get in SSB4. After I saw that new art work, I think I might be bitter if he didn't get in despite that I know his chance is pretty slim.

Snakey

Just damn @ Roy Art.

He's one of my favorite character in Melee, but I wouldn't be biter if he didn't get in SSB4. After I saw that new art work, I think I might be bitter if he didn't get in despite that I know his chance is pretty slim.

I think Roy's chances are much better than most people think. Roy was planned for Brawl, and he was likely one of the last two of the Forbidden 7 to be dropped. He is one of the most requested characters in Japan, and the most requested Fire Emblem character in the West. Combine this with the fact that Intelligent Systems has expressed interested in remaking FE6 (Roy's game), I think re-introducing Roy with his re-design would be a good move on Sakurai's part and he would be extremely well-received.

BD1

Banned
I am loving that new design for Roy. Hoping to see him return in Smash 4.

Also, Kid Icarus spoilers.
Pyrrhon is fucking awesome. I want him in. Make it happen, Sakurai.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I don't mind Sakurai putting as many Kid Icarus characters as he wants into the game. Great games with great characters deserve the representation in Smash.

I actually want a Kid Icarus stage where all the awesome characters from KI:U appear. I'd love a stage where all the Gods appear in their giant form in the background, spouting ridiculously great one-liners and calling down hazards.

It would be a better way of capturing the personalities.

He'd have to be toned down, but I think Pious would be a cool Magic-based character.

After playing through Xenoblade chronicles, I actually want Shulk to make it in the next game.

I "think" he's a first party character so he definitely has a legitimate chance.

He is. Monolith Soft is first party, so any character from Xenoblade is Nintendo IP.

JazzmanZ

I think Roy's chances are much better than most people think. Roy was planned for Brawl, and he is was likely one of the last two of the Forbidden 7 to be dropped. He is one of the most requested characters in Japan, and the most requested Fire Emblem character in the West. Combine this with the fact that Intelligent Systems has expressed interested in remaking FE6 (Roy's game), I think re-introducing Roy with his re-design would be a good move on Sakurai's part and he would be extremely well-received.

most requested? Most requested Fire Emblem character in the West? where are you getting these statistics.

SmithnCo

most requested? Most requested Fire Emblem character in the West? where are you getting these statistics.

I wouldn't be surprised, most people probably only know FE through Smash.

I like Roy's redesign, would definitely set him apart more visually if he got in with it.

JazzmanZ

Just my observations. There have also been some official polls that attest to Roy's popularity within the Fie Emblem series in Japan.

can you give me links to these polls?

Because I'm pretty sure the most requested for Brawl was Ike, Marth and Lyn over Roy.

Snakey

can you give me links to these polls?

Because I'm pretty sure the most requested for Brawl was Ike, Marth and Lyn over Roy.

Considering that there was no ever actually a Brawl poll, its impossible to say that Ike, Marth, and Lyn were more requested than Roy. What you are thinking about is the Brawl Journal, which was a limited time run in which Japanese Smash fans could suggest various things to be in Brawl (music, stages, "characters") as well as talk about their own personal experiences with the Smash Bros. series.

Sakurai admitted that he decided most of Brawl's roster in 2005, and Ike's inclusion came about as a result of Sakurai going to Intelligent Systems for advice on who to include in Brawl as FE's newcomer (since six new lords were made after Roy).

As to evidence of Roy's popularity within Fire Emblem, here is an official poll done by IS for character popularity within FE6:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/afej/k_tohyo/index.html

Roy is ranked first.

By comparison, here is an official poll that was done for FE7:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/ae7j/k_tohyo/index.html

Notice Lyn is sixth.

There was a poll done in Nintendo Dream (the official Nintendo magazine in Japan) in the May 6th 2005 issue in regards to who was the most popular character in the entire GBA Fire Emblem trilogy. Roy got first place in that poll as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Here's kind of a weird question. If you had to cut one character from the new Smash, who would it be and why?

Tough one. Hmmm.

I would cut Luigi because I want Sakurai to add Vacuum Luigi to represent his own franchise, rather than mushroom kingdom. If Yoshi, Donkey and Wario can then Luigi should able to.

cednym

Banned
Luigi shouldn't have his own world icon. Yeah, there was Luigi's Mansion and the upcoming outsourced second-party sequel, but he still means more to the overall Mario series, and Mario himself still appears in Luigi's Mansion. You could argue that Yoshi is a Mario character, but he has about 10 games to his name versus Luigi's 2, and some of Yoshi's games are completely void of Mario. DK and Wario are definitely on another level and have earned their own Smash Bros. series icons.

what the fuck. game & watch is fun to play as, looks cool and has awesome stages.

PS THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE GAME IS NOSTALGIA GIMMICK CHARACTERS

Fine, I'll clarify. I'm not a fan of shitty "hey look it's nintendo's roots before mario you should enjoy these kinda guys" characters. I thought G&W was a nice distraction in Melee, I thought ROB was stupid in Mario Kart, and my feelings only intensified when I found out both of them were in Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom