• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

What exactly is the hype behind Geno I wonder? I've been curious ever since he started popping up with prominence back during the Brawl days.

Orayn

What exactly is the hype behind Geno I wonder? I've been curious ever since he started popping up with prominence back during the Brawl days.

It's mostly love for Super Mario RPG being directed at its most prominent original character. Combine that with Nintendo and Square being on good terms again after "breaking up" for years, and you have a lot of fans who want to see Geno make an official reappearance as a symbol of reconciliation between the two parties.

Azure J

Ah, gotcha. Fawful is superior though. :p

I mean if we had to pull from the RPG line, Fawful would get a vote waaaay before Geno.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's mostly love for Super Mario RPG being directed at its most prominent original character. Combine that with Nintendo and Square being on good terms again after "breaking up" for years, and you have a lot of fans who want to see Geno make an official reappearance as a symbol of reconciliation between the two parties.

Mallow developed character rather being a generic stoic one but he gets no love!

Damn Geno worshipers, they must be the progenitor of Sephiroth fanboys!

KevinCow

Banned
Geno doesn't wear pants. Or really clothes at all.

I know he's a wooden doll so there aren't really any parts, but that's still always bugged me.

BD1

Banned
Not to derail the geno discussion here.... but instead of trophies (or in addition to trophies), I think it would be awesome to have unlockable high res images of concept art of all the franchises represented in Smash. Maybe pages of a Nintendo "Scrap Book" or something. We open the book in the menu and can thumb through endless pages of concept art from Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Kirby, etc etc etc.

Would be the ultimate fan service and love letter in beautiful HD.

Azure J

Not to derail the geno discussion here.... but instead of trophies (or in addition to trophies), I think it would be awesome to have unlockable high res images of concept art of all the franchises represented in Smash. Maybe pages of a Nintendo "Scrap Book" or something. We open the book in the menu and can thumb through endless pages of concept art from Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, Kirby, etc etc etc.

Would be the ultimate fan service and love letter in beautiful HD.

No, because this has to be the physical pre-order bonus. :p

Boss Doggie

I wish they had 3 character trophies instead of two, kinda like in Melee. One for the "orginal" look which also explains the character's origins, one for the "Smash" look which explains the playstyle, and one for the "Final Smash" look which explains the final smash.

This pretty much nails it. I woud love to see him.

He was my favorite original addition to SMRPG, he has a huge variety of moves to pull from, and overall he's just an awesome talking doll that will shoot you in the face with star power if you so much as talk back to him. :)

cednym

Banned
Trophies in the new game would seem like an incredible waste of time and resources to me. They couldn't very well re-use old GameCube models again. They should just add collectible "trading cards" or something, with art on the front and a bio on the back. There could be a separate gallery mode for the character models already in the game (including things like items and bosses).

Trophies in the new game would seem like an incredible waste of time and resources to me. They couldn't very well re-use old GameCube models again. They should just add collectible "trading cards" or something, with art on the front and a bio on the back. There could be a separate gallery mode for the character models already in the game (including things like items and bosses).

Well a lot of the trophies could easily be scavenged from the game itself, especially if they're going to have an expansive one player mode like they had in Brawl. And if you look back at Melee, pretty much all the trophies were made specifically for trophies, so I doubt it would really waste that much resources to make some.

Anth0ny

Agreed. They can abuse NFC with this game so hard.

What was up with trophies in Brawl? They just re-used Melee trophies?

Emitan

Trophies probably existed because eventually your art team doesn't have anything left to do. I'd rather them create new characters as DLC than waste time on trophies.

cednym

Banned
The handling of trophies is one of the things I liked better in Melee than Brawl in terms of consistency. The main characters from most of Nintendo's major games were given an original model. Brawl was just a lazy hodgepodge of models ripped from all of Nintendo's GameCube/early Wii games with only a handful of original ones. Did we really need the entire Paper Mario and Twilight Princess cast?

And if you look back at Melee, pretty much all the trophies were made specifically for trophies, so I doubt it would really waste that much resources to make some.

An original HD trophy model would take a lot more time to make than a low-res, low-poly Melee one. They also have to make two games at once this time.

Anth0ny

The handling of trophies is one of the things I liked better in Melee than Brawl in terms of consistency. The main characters of most of Nintendo's major games were given an original model. Brawl was just a lazy hodgepodge of models ripped from all of Nintendo's GameCube/early Wii games with only a handful of original ones. Did we really need the entire Paper Mario and Twilight Princess cast?

Hmm.

There were 293 trophies in Melee and 544 in Brawl.

I wouldn't mind seeing 200-ish important characters with new models updated for the HD generation. Once again, Brawl displaying quantity over quality.

Cranzor

The problem is that all of the music in Mother 3 is just so damned good! D: (The 3i arrangements are some of my favorite music of all time, for what it's worth.)
I was a little surprised that D.C.M.C.'s Theme didn't make it into Brawl. I dunno how much sway he has over what kind of music gets into the next game, but I'll do my best to persuade Sakai-san next time I see him.
3AQmK.gif

Oh, so that D.C.M.C. theme that was posted earlier is official? I thought it was fan made. I'll have to listen to that whole album, I love Mother 3 and I've never even heard of it. I've listened to a few songs and wow, they are amazing.

McNum

He'd better have a final smash that stops time and lets him wail on everybody.
Or you activate the Final Smash silently and the game starts recording. 10 seconds later the game rewinds with Shulk yelling "The future is not yours to decide!" and then he gets to act freely while the other players are forced to repeat their actions from the previous 10 seconds.

That'd be a very nasty Final Smash...

Or you activate the Final Smash silently and the game starts recording. 10 seconds later the game rewinds with Shulk yelling "The future is not yours to decide!" and then he gets to act freely while the other players are forced to repeat their actions from the previous 10 seconds.

ding ding ding...we have a winner here. This would be awesome!

My wish for the next SSB is that they embrace it as the competitive brawler everyone wants it to be. Keep all the crazy items, modes and stages but make those feel like the extras rather than the main attraction. By this I specifically mean: a heavy focus on character balance and some good, balanced, competitive stages.

Gameboy415

Hmm.

There were 293 trophies in Melee and 544 in Brawl.

I wouldn't mind seeing 200-ish important characters with new models updated for the HD generation. Once again, Brawl displaying quantity over quality.

I wonder if Nintendo will put out AR cards for SSB3DS like they're doing with Kid Icarus.
It'd be pretty cool to have a set of cards with dozens of Nintendo characters that could unlock in-game content/trophies/etc.

Hopefully they'll find a better way to distribute them if they do go that route. :S

I have no idea what this is referencing, but I want this in Smash.

McNum

I have no idea what this is referencing, but I want this in Smash.
Well, since Xenoblade is still a recent release in the US, I'll spoiler it.

(Xenoblade game mechanic spoiler)
Early-ish in the game, Shulk starts having visions. In the story, it is used to foreshadow events. In combat, it's used to warn Shulk about something bad. Like in a boss fight, the enemy is about to use a powerful special attack. You get a blue tinted vision of that attack landing, and then you get 6-10 seconds to do something about that. Like put up a magic shield, knocking down the attacker, or just simply healing enough that the targeted character can take the hit. Basically, it lets the enemies be downright nasty with one-hit kill attacks, since the game is polite enough to warn you about them.

That's the reference.

udivision

My wish for the next SSB is that they embrace it as the competitive brawler everyone wants it to be. Keep all the crazy items, modes and stages but make those feel like the extras rather than the main attraction. By this I specifically mean: a heavy focus on character balance and some good, balanced, competitive stages.

I agree. I hate how people say "competitive mechanics" have no place in Smash, but everyone and their mother (casuals and hardcore) loved Melee to death. In other words: Sakurai can please both crowds.

Vidiot

I'm pretty much cool with whatever they do since I've loved all three Smash games. I just want more. More characters, more stages, more music, more everything. MORE!

Less tripping.

SmithnCo

I could see them scaling trophies back to the important stuff. Like, not characters from DK Barrel Blast that no one knows or cares about. Big players. And the rest can have stickers or be in an art gallery.

I'd also rather have some cool unique models than a bunch of reused assets too.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Come on son do we have to keep going back and forth on this bloody conversation? Not everyone plays Smash for competitive reasons.

And do we really need more than one Battlefield? (Final Destination sucks balls)

As for trophies I want more models that were made for Smash Wii U rather than importing them from previous games. Also some variety. No more than three per game. Brawl was really disappointing in this field even if it did have Ouendan and EBA trophies.

SmithnCo

Come on son do we have to keep going back and forth on this bloody conversation? Not everyone plays Smash for competitive reasons.

And do we really need more than one Battlefield? (Final Destination sucks balls)

I think a good idea is to have a "stage hazard" switch that you can turn on/off. Basically it would turn off stuff like the laser in the Halberd stage for people who like it that way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think a good idea is to have a "stage hazard" switch that you can turn on/off. Basically it would turn off stuff like the laser in the Halberd stage for people who like it that way.

See that's an idea I like. But for a stage like Big Blue what is considered the hazard? The road?

cednym

Banned
I wanted to bring up this quote from the 2/29/08 issue of Famitsu since I've never seen it referenced before (it's included in the Japanese Brawl Wikipedia page):

Sakurai: I wanted to include a character from Animal Crossing, but because the peaceful image of that series is too far removed from Smash Bros., I was turned down. I could have created a character using tools like the bug catching net and shovel.

It sounds like Sakurai wanted to include the player character from Animal Crossing, but when he went to that series' producer for approval (like he does with every character), he was turned down. I hope there's been a change of heart, because it looks like Sakurai really likes Animal Crossing given that it's the only non-playable series in Brawl with its own trophy category and world icon.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I wanted to bring up this quote from the 2/29/08 issue of Famitsu since I've never seen it referenced before (it's included in the Japanese Brawl Wikipedia page):

Sakurai: I wanted to include a character from Animal Crossing, but because the peaceful image of that series is too far removed from Smash Bros., I was turned down. I could have created a character using tools like the bug catching net and shovel.

It sounds like Sakurai wanted to include the player character from Animal Crossing, but when he went to that series' producer for approval (like he does with every character), he was turned down. I hope there's been a change of heart, because it looks like Sakurai really likes Animal Crossing given that it's the only non-playable series in Brawl with its own trophy category and world icon.

It was already mentioned in last few pages. in one of those argument.

That is interesting. It's sort of weird that Sakurai seems to have given three different reasons for excluding Animal Crossing characters, but I feel more positively about one becoming playable now.

Hansel

Banned

That's amazing! I've always assumed Sakurai had just never really considered it but now I'm hopeful for some reason.

Boss Doggie

Well he shouldn't have asked for the player character.

We all know Tom Nook kicks people and put bitches in their place - his loaning plans.

Thores

I don't really get the votes for Tom Nook as an Animal Crossing rep. I mean, I kinda do, because he's arguably the most notable/iconic character in the franchise. But he's also even less violent than the player character. PC at least generally gets up to mischief like bonking people with the shovel and pitfall pranks. Nook wouldn't get his hands dirty with any of that stuff. Why would he, when he can manipulate others into doing it for him?

As far as plausible non-"peaceful" AC fighters go, I'd say maybe Resetti. What with his anger management problems at all, and between his pickaxe, burrowing, and ...talking a lot...? Anyway, he's got moveset potential. But honestly, even that's not super likely to me. If the producer turned Sakurai down last time, what exactly would change his mind now? The series has gotten more prolific thus there's demand for its representation, but... wouldn't the increased popularity/recognition make Tezuka want to compromise Animal Crossing's image even less?

The more I think about it the more I think a character using AC's tools would be a really fun option. Despite that, while I'm not writing it off completely, I don't have a lot of faith that it's gonna happen.

Wichu

if shulk is in smash 4, his down b is gonna be yet another variation of the marth/lucario/etc counter.

B: Buster (either charge like Ike, or slow like Captain Falcon)
Up B: Cyclone
Side B: Back Slash?
Down B: ... fuck. Counter it is :(

More characters should have custom shields like Yoshi's egg.

EDIT: Down B should let him switch party members. Let a man dream.

McNum

B: Buster (either charge like Ike, or slow like Captain Falcon)
Up B: Cyclone
Side B: Back Slash?
Down B: ... fuck. Counter it is :(

More characters should have custom shields like Yoshi's egg.

EDIT: Down B should let him switch party members. Let a man dream.
Side B: Purge
Shulk launches a projectile that does a lot of shield damage.

Down B: Speed
The next time Shulk would have taken damage, he spot-dodges automatically.

Custom Shield: Shield
Yeah, maybe have him call it out.

And if Shulk isn't in, at least replace the generic Beam Sword with the Monado.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Alright, since prequel is popular fads for video game so we will see SSB 0.5, only contain 6 characters; Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus and Fox.

Alright, since prequel is popular fads for video game so we will see SSB 0.5, only contain 6 characters; Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus and Fox.

Can't wait for the master hand origin story and seeing the predecessors to the fighting polygon team, the fighting sprite team. (Fox over DK? screw this trend!)

cednym

Banned
So, I was able to find the 2008 Famitsu articles online, and they really don't bode too well for SSB4's roster. Also, Wikipedia left out the fact that Sakurai was joking about the Animal Crossing character -- context changes everything.

Here are some of the more telling blurbs:

- Even though fans want a bigger roster, it took all of the development team's hardest efforts to get 39 characters into the game.

- Nintendo has not created many new character-based series since Melee, so it is hard for Sakurai to add more meaningful characters. He is against adding unimportant characters just to beef up the roster count.

- Because of this, if there is to be a SSB4, Sakurai does not think there will be a lot of new characters.

- Sakurai realizes that making a fourth Smash Bros. will be very difficult. He will not be able to use Brawl's data to assist him because the assets will be too outdated for a high-definition console.

- He will have to do something drastically different for SSB4 so it stands apart from the last game. He will not just add to Brawl.

- Pikmin and Animal Crossing are the only Nintendo series introduced since 2001 that Sakurai feels are worthy of being given playable characters. With that said, Animal Crossing characters are too far removed from Smash Bros.' violent image. Sakurai jokes that he could have added an Animal Crossing character with a net and shovel.

MisterHero

Can't wait for the master hand origin story and seeing the predecessors to the fighting polygon team, the fighting sprite team. (Fox over DK? screw this trend!)
What's so cool about the Fighting Polygons in Smash Bros 64 was that they too were a Nintendo IP (their SNES game was cancelled). They weren't as arbitrary as Wireframes or Alloys.

This is a stretch, but I think that Mr. Game & Watch was treated as the predecessor to those characters (he literally bled the stuff that turned into Primids). He's even more basic than a sprite, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom