• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey

Ike wields a heavy broadsword and Krom carries the Falchion. Krom wouldn't be nearly as slow (or powerful) as Ike.

Sealed Sword Falchion (Krom's sword) and Falchion (Marth's sword) are completely different blades. Just look at the size of Sealed Sword Falchion:

nin07.jpg

FE9 and FE10 were also the nadir in terms of sales for the FE series in Japan, with the only other game selling below 200K in Japan in the FE series being FE5 (which was a Super Nintendo game released in late 1999). Heck, FE9 and FE10 COMBINED sold less than FE6.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sealed Sword Falchion (Krom's sword) and Falchion (Marth's sword) are completely different blades. Just look at the size of Sealed Sword Falchion:

nin07.jpg

FE9 and FE10 were also the nadir in terms of sales for the FE series in Japan, with the only other game selling below 200K in Japan in the FE series being FE5 (which was a Super Nintendo game released in late 1999). Heck, FE9 and FE10 COMBINED sold less than FE6.

MAJOR FE13 SPOILERS
I hope that you are not talking about that Marth in picture. It's Masked Marth, which is Krom's Daughter from future. It made sense why she have same sword as Krom because he gave it to her in the future.

cednym

Banned

Seriously? That sword looks like it was specifically crafted to be light and airy. (Well, maybe not light, but it's certainly not the heaviest sword in Fire Emblem.) It's a toy compared to Ike's:

P9tCk.jpg

I definitely couldn't picture Krom as a 1:1 Ike clone.

Also, I don't think Sakurai stares at sales data when he determines which characters he wants to put in the game. That Ike starred in two of the more recent Fire Emblem games is quite a bit of exposure in itself, regardless of how poorly those games sold. Marth is the only other character to have starred in multiple entries. Ike also has a lot of Smash Bros. fans, which is part of the reasoning you're using for wanting to bring Roy back.

Snakey

MAJOR FE13 SPOILERS
I hope that you are not talking about that Marth in picture. It's Masked Marth, which is Krom's Daughter from future. It made sense why she have same sword as Krom because he gave it to her in the future.

Sealed Sword Falchion is different blade than Falchion. Sealed Sword Falchion is held with two (just look at the hilt), while Falchion has a very distinctive design (its the symbol of the Smash Bros. series for crying out loud).

Also, about Masked Marth:
I do know "he" is actually Krom's daughter from the future.

That sword looks like a toy compared to Ike's; it's thin, narrow, and there's a hole in it.

Also, I don't think Sakurai stares at sales data when he determines which characters he wants to put in the game.

You are really grasping at straws. Think about this what would stand out more?

A red haired character with sword that lights up on fire for much of his moves

or

Another blue-haired sword fighter than is simply a tad quicker, weaker than an existing character with no distinctive flair of his own.

In Japan, there are loads of comparisons toward Krom to Ike.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Seriously? That sword looks like it was specifically crafted to be light and airy. It's a toy compared to Ike's:

Also, I don't think Sakurai stares at sales data when he determines which characters he wants to put in the game.

He don't. He admitted that he don't want to target popular characters because he would find it boring to have all characters that are popular.

I think we should have 3 important categories to watch out for. 3 important categories that have been shown up since Melee.

W-T-F characters
Melee: Game and Watch
Brawl: R.O.B

Retro characters
Melee: Ice Climbers
Brawl: Pit

Japanese only characters
Melee: Marth and Roy
Brawl: Lucas

Sealed Sword Falchion is different blade than Falchion. Sealed Sword Falchion is held with two (just look at the hilt), while Falchion has a very distinctive design (its the symbol of the Smash Bros. series for crying out loud).

I know the swords fact, but I was not sure if you were talking about that Marth in picture or real Marth itself. Sorry for misunderstood.

cednym

Banned
You are really grasping at straws. Think about this what would stand out more?

A red haired character with sword that lights up on fire for much of his moves

or

Another blue-haired sword fighter than is simply a tad quicker, weaker than an existing character with no distinctive flair of his own.

In Japan, there are loads of comparisons toward Krom to Ike.

If I'm grasping at straws, then I don't want to know what the blue hair "argument" is. It's not a matter of standing out, it's a matter of making sense in the context of Smash Bros. Ike is a completely original character with his own move set who starred in two relatively recent games. I'm not seeing the logic in cutting him for a Marth clone from a decade-old game. And I like Roy more than Ike.

I completely understand how much you love Roy (you seem to bring his name up in every post), and that's cool, but there's a difference between wanting something and expecting something. I don't care much for Fire Emblem, but you clearly have a dog in this fight.

Snakey

If I'm grasping at straws, then I don't want to know what the blue hair "argument" is. It's not a matter of standing out, it's a matter of making sense in the context of Smash Bros. Ike is a completely original character with his own move set. I'm not seeing the logic in cutting him for a Marth clone.

I completely understand how much you love Roy (you seem to bring his name up in every post), and that's cool, but there's a difference between wanting something and expecting something.

Ike may be an unique character, but the point is that Krom is literally Ike MKII. He has Aether and Quick Draw. A more apt comparison would be comparing Young Link to Toon Link.

Also, you are damn foolish if you don't think Roy has a very good shot at returning. Its not so much I love Roy as I am irked that he is probably one of the most under-written characters for Smash 4 from a veteran series, and there has been a lot of false information spread about him.

Krom literally offers nothing to bring aside from being the next face for Fire Emblem at the present time.

There is also the matter that IS has expressed interest in remaking FE6, meaning the character of Roy has potential to be revisited in another retail release, whereas the story of Ike will not be revisited due to the relatively recent release of his sage and their international release.

cednym

Banned
Ike may be an unique character, but the point is that Krom is literally Ike MKII. He has Aether and Quick Draw. A more apt comparison would be comparing Young Link to Toon Link.

Also, you are damn foolish if you don't think Roy has a very good shot at returning. Its not so much I love Roy as I am irked that he is probably one of the most under-written characters for Smash 4 from a veteran series, and there has been a lot of false information spread about him.

Krom literally offers nothing to bring aside from being the next face for Fire Emblem at the present time.

There is also the matter that IS has expressed interest in remaking FE6, meaning the character of Roy has potential to be revisited in another retail release, whereas the story of Ike will not be revisited due to the relatively recent release of his sage and their international release.

Trust me, I know how similar Krom and Ike are, but that doesn't make their coexistence any less likely. If Link, Toon Link, Fox, and Falco can all be in Brawl, then why can't Ike and Krom be in SSB4?

Oh, and I do think that Roy has a shot at returning, but only if Marth, Ike, and Krom get in first.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Trust me, I know how similar Krom and Ike are, but that doesn't make their coexistence any less likely. If Link, Toon Link, Fox, and Falco can all be in Brawl, then why can't Ike and Krom be in SSB4?

I think yall should make avatar bets about Krom, Ike, and Roy.

If I had to make cuts, though:

Jigglypuff.

Jigglypuff ain't going nowhere at this point in time, she's one of the original 12.

Also, regarding Fire Emblem, I know I might get hit for it, but I'd rather have the lord siblings from Sacred Stones, cause Ephraim has a spear (we never had polearm-based characters in any Smash), and Eirika for having a rapier-based moveset; a sword-user with techniques mostly based on stabbing/fencing would be new as well.

spanks

Krom and Roy would be a waste. Fire Emblem has a great stable of female fighters and characters with interesting fighting styles (axes, lances, polearms, magic, etc), it would be a shame if FE was represented by 4 spikey/blue-haired, cape-wearing guys who all use swords.

GamerSoul

Krom and Roy would be a waste. Fire Emblem has a great stable of female fighters and characters with interesting fighting styles (axes, lances, polearms, magic, etc), it would be a shame if FE was represented by 4 spikey/blue-haired, cape-wearing guys who all use swords.

I agree that they could use more diversity but at the end of the day these are the guys who are the main faces of the franchise right now. I can see Ike getting the axe because of Krom, which is ok with me.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Hey people, gots me a question.

So I saw this video of this thing called "Project M", which supposedly restores Melee's physics in Brawl. This is awesome and all, but I thought they already did that with Brawl+ or - or whatever.

Explain!

Brawl+ was trying to be its own thing - it was just meant to be a more competitive version of Brawl. The idea that it was trying to imitate Melee is just a common misconception (but it's not really ungrounded, because the Brawl+ developers still did use some Melee elements in their project).

NeonZ

But the characters have the exact same special abilities in the games!

In spite of the name and gameplay functions, I'm pretty sure Krom's Aether is animated differently from FE9 Ike's Aether, so it'd be a different attack as far as Smash Bros goes. After all, Smash Bros didn't really use any gameplay element from Aether, just the animation itself.

Oblivion

Project M makes Brawl play like Melee.

Brawl+ rebalances Brawl, but still sort of plays like Brawl.

Brawl+ was trying to be its own thing - it was just meant to be a more competitive version of Brawl. The idea that it was trying to imitate Melee is just a common misconception (but it's not really ungrounded, because the Brawl+ developers still did use some Melee elements in their project).

Ohhhhhhhh, I see.

Well, then this is quite the bit of good news for Melee fans, is it not?

I think we should have 3 important categories to watch out for. 3 important categories that have been shown up since Melee.

W-T-F characters

Retro characters

Japanese only characters
I'm gonna go with with the WTF character being a representative of their old card making business from the early 1900's and their 'retro' character almost definitely being Little Mac (or if he doesn't count due to his series coming back after Brawl, either Mach Rider or Mike Jones). It's harder to guess who would fall into the last category since stuff like Stafy, Xenoblade and Sin & Punishment are no longer Japan-only, so I'm just going to go with who I'd personally want and choose Lip the Fairy (even if Panel de Pon itself isn't Japanese-exclusive gameplay wise).

He don't. He admitted that he don't want to target popular characters because he would find it boring to have all characters that are popular.

W-T-F characters

Retro characters

Japanese only characters

A pattern with two data points is not a pattern.

SmithnCo

I'm sure they don't specifically look for jpn-only characters, but you could make a case for the other two categories.

I think Mach Rider or Takamaru would be cool for a classic character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm sure they don't specifically look for jpn-only characters, but you could make a case for the other two categories.

I think Mach Rider or Takamaru would be cool for a classic character.

Well, you may be right, but think about it. I wonder if they are trying to introduce us the japanese characters so we could demand for their games to be release in America, right? They were successful with Melee for Fire Emblem.

Considering Roy was already in a Smash game, was highly requested by fans to have come back in Brawl and was supposed to be in Brawl, I'd say the people playing this game don't much care about the "great stable of female fighters and characters with interesting fighting styles".

And minor nitpick, Roy has red hair. Just sayin'.

Personally, I just want Leaf. He's the coolest looking lord in Fire Emblem, and he'd have the greatest moveset potential if they went with his FE4 incarnation. And he's even in Awakening.

Interestingly, we may have to look at Roy again with FE:Awakening. He's DLC, but with a pretty different design. He's dual wielding swords now, and I don't think we have one of those in Smash.

That "second sword" is a sheath in reverse. Roy always used the Sword of Seals like that in his actual game (he drew the sword reverse grip and flipped it to standard grip), thus why it's held that way on the picture.

I did want to bring up for those saying "Krom can't be a power character because he isn't like Ike", that in the actual FE9 Ike WASN'T a power character in terms of his animations. He was actually fast as fuck as had zero trouble wielding Ragnell, he used it in one hand half the time.

I like Roy, but since he was a clone in Melee and I've never played FE I'd be lying if I said I was super pissed about him not being in Brawl (not that I thought it made much sense mind you since he was still a unique character and not Dr. Marth or anything like that).

Does he have his own style in the FE games? Besides Counter, which I'm assuming every FE Lord has.

I like Roy, but since he was a clone in Melee and I've never played FE I'd be lying if I said I was super pissed about him not being in Brawl (not that I thought it made much sense mind you since he was still a unique character and not Dr. Marth or anything like that).

Does he have his own style in the FE games? Besides Counter, which I'm assuming every FE Lord has.

He fights completely different from Marth, he actually uses iaijutsu/battoujutsu with the Sword of Seals and can shoot fireballs and shit with it. It's pretty much on fire any time he's swinging it in the actual game.

The Counter move in Smash Bros. is just based on a universal Fire Emblem mechanic. It's not specific to Lords (most of whom are pretty much the same). He's not very different from Marth in Fire Emblem in terms of abilities, but since they're in different games, it's hard to directly compare them.

He only fights differently from Marth once he has his personal weapon, which he only gets at the very end of the game.

Yes, I completely agree.

It's such a waste of a great IP to just have a bunch of swordsmen with blue hair repping it when they are pretty much 2nd only to Pokemon in the potential range of unique and different characters among the series already in smash.

It's like ... making all the Pokemon characters different generations of Pikachu that GF makes every gen and NOTHING else. Sure, Pikachu-Pichu/ P&M/ Pachirisu and Emolga could and would likely all have awesome, unique move sets and be really cool characters ... but there's so much more to the series than just Pikachu and Pikachu accessories.

Hope Sakurai sees things this way but ehh, I expect nothing to please me from that series characters on the roster of Smash 4. :/
I only expect Ike to be replaced with Krome.

A pattern with two data points is not a pattern.
Exactly.

People love looking for patterns even where there are none. There are a FEW patterns that are seen from 64 to brawl though ... but clearly everything can't be shoehorned in there.

Emitan

Honestly at this point there's so many characters I can't really obsess over the roster any more. Sure I'd love Kumatora and Anna and Waluigi, but Brawl has a great cast.

Codeblue

Jigglypuff ain't going nowhere at this point in time, she's one of the original 12.

Also, regarding Fire Emblem, I know I might get hit for it, but I'd rather have the lord siblings from Sacred Stones, cause Ephraim has a spear (we never had polearm-based characters in any Smash), and Eirika for having a rapier-based moveset; a sword-user with techniques mostly based on stabbing/fencing would be new as well.

Also Ephraim was awesome. Sacred Stones is one of the least popular entries, so there's little hope for one twin let alone both.

Azure J

Unbalances the game so everything is ridiculous. For example, Snake's Forward Smash Travels across the stage creating a series of explosions.

Brawl- is the one with Phoenix Mario, right? (Also, the Marth with the full screen backdash after a forward Smash to accompany the Devil May Cry 3 looking combos he has and Samus with the multi rapid fire charge shots)

If so, best hack in a hilarious way.

KevinCow

Banned
And Yoshi's eggs explode, and DK can spawn barrels, and Ike's up air - where he twirls his sword around like a helicopter - actually gives him lift and can be used to help recovery.

Emitan

Bowser has Super Armor almost all the time. Try playing as a lightweght character. He's really hard to KO because none of your moves have knockback.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly at this point there's so many characters I can't really obsess over the roster any more. Sure I'd love Kumatora and Anna and Waluigi, but Brawl has a great cast.

That's why we should focus on the stages since there are no restrictions, Even Pictochat got in anything can. The more player killing gimmicks the better.

Oblivion

Watched some videos and you guys have no idea how happy this new modification makes me. Brawl might actually be fun again.

I'd hope that someone, somewhere would spam Sakurai's inbox with these videos. But it would probably achieve the exact opposite goal, and he'd most likely put more effort in making sure the game's code would no longer be able to be hacked. Then he'd top it off by making some stupid (and infuriating) Starfy joke.

Watched some videos and you guys have no idea how happy this new modification makes me. Brawl might actually be fun again.

I'd hope that someone, somewhere would spam Sakurai's inbox with these videos. But it would probably achieve the exact opposite goal, and he'd most likely put more effort in making sure the game's code would no longer be able to be hacked. Then he'd top it off by making some stupid (and infuriating) Starfy joke.

I'm sure he already knows about it. Hell, I remember Nintendo sending out a C&D to people doing Brawl mods.

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was part of what made him decide to bring customization into this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom