• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Newcomers I want to see:

Palutena
Medusa
Little Mac
Saki
Shulk

I'm pretty sure Kid Icarus is a lock to get at least 3 characters from the series, seeing as how Kirby expanded in Brawl with Meta Knight and King Dedede. Palutena is the obvious choice and Medusa makes for a fine villain.

Little Mac could serve as the old-school icon not to mention he got a new Wii game.

Saki or anyone from Sin and Punishment just because they would fit so well in a fighting game.

Shulk, just because I love Xenoblade so much right now.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm sure he already knows about it. Hell, I remember Nintendo sending out a C&D to people doing Brawl mods.

I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was part of what made him decide to bring customization into this game.

So people can fix his stupid design decisions and keep the good ones.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Newcomers I want to see:

Palutena
Medusa
Little Mac
Saki
Shulk

I'm pretty sure Kid Icarus is a lock to get at least 3 characters from the series, seeing as how Kirby expanded in Brawl with Meta Knight and King Dedede. Palutena is the obvious choice and Medusa makes for a fine villain.

Little Mac could serve as the old-school icon not to mention he got a new Wii game.

Saki or anyone from Sin and Punishment just because they would fit so well in a fighting game.

Shulk, just because I love Xenoblade so much right now.

Why the Kirby comparison? Sakurai working on it isnt the only reason you got 3 Kirby characters. Its also cause the series is a consistent million+ seller with a few recurring main characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Shame Brawl- doesn't work that well on PAL systems.

Why the Kirby comparison? Sakurai working on it isnt the only reason you got 3 Kirby characters. Its also cause the series is a consistent million+ seller with a few recurring main characters.
Then why doesn't FZero have more characters eh? That's sold over million
collectively across the whole series
... maybe

Also, the 3 different "main" hacks have all different goals;
Project Melee tries to make Brawl into Melee with new characters
Brawl+ tries to balance Brawl but still keep it intact
Brawl- just breaks the shit out of everything

In terms of fun, I'd say B- is probably the best.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well when I tried Brawl- half the sound effects were missing. If I could be bothered I guess I could extract the PAL files and stick them into the Brawl- ones.

Shame there's hardly any good resource that tells you how to get mods working with PAL versions (most codes are NTSC only).

Eventually I got it working with Riivolution, a selection of stage rel files with the application Stage Switcher to convert NTSC files to PAL compatible ones (also allows you to put stages on any slot) and Brawl Box to patch other files. Apart from a few exceptions I've now had no trouble sticking my own music, stages of fighters into Brawl.

Maybe I should write my own guide so others don't have to waste time working it out for themselves.

Sealed Sword Falchion (Krom's sword) and Falchion (Marth's sword) are completely different blades.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Krom's Falchion and Marth's Falchion are the same sword, just redesigned. The masked character is claiming in the story to be Marth and people in the game believe it, and Krom and the party identify the sword the masked character is using as the Falchion (meaning that's how it looked when Marth used it, and that they redesigned it).

By the way, the masked character (FE: Awakening story spoiler)
is actually using some sort of copy of the Falchion called "Hidden Falchion".

I'm pretty sure Kid Icarus is a lock to get at least 3 characters from the series, seeing as how Kirby expanded in Brawl with Meta Knight and King Dedede.

Yes, never mind that the Kirby series went three games before getting a single other character besides Kirby and that it's a long running series that consistently sells really well.

What Mother character can they add in this time just to tease us americans.

I vote for Jeff. His bottle rockets and inventions would make for a fun character.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I vote for Jeff. His bottle rockets and inventions would make for a fun character.

If we just got one new Mother inclusion I'd rather it be a new stage. New Pork was too big and bland, which is a shame, because like Rumble Falls it meant all that music went to waste.

Anyone know of a good mod to replace New Pork with?

Gravijah

the fact that new pork city was new pork city with awesome sprites and the entire city in the background was reason enough for me to play on it constantly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
the fact that new pork city was new pork city with awesome sprites and the entire city in the background was reason enough for me to play on it constantly.

I always ended up at the bottom so I didn't even benefit from that. Just a trap door and a lot of walls to bounce of until someone runs away.

Worst stage in single player certainly.

Incidentally, I really want the goofy bonuses from 64/Melee to make a comeback. I honestly kind of missed them in Brawl.
Why they removed that I have no idea. Silly decision.

Then why doesn't FZero have more characters eh? That's sold over million
collectively across the whole series
... maybe

Actually, a better example would be "Why does Mother have 2 characters? The series has 3 games and has been dead for forever by the time Lucas got in/ Why does SF have 3 characters and DK/ Metroid only 2? The MP games were very successful and the DK series is huge where as SF seems to be a series where they simply don't know what to do for it."

The answer?
Sakurai doesn't sit at home crunching numbers to scientifically dictate what series get's what, he likely just picks most characters based on what he wants or thinks is cool and NOT because of the bs we think.

Also, it'd be nice if Classic could use retro stages next time around on occasion. Why am I forced to play New Pork City if I face Ness? Onett would be much more fitting.

cednym

Banned
So, out of boredom, I took a look back at the marketing timelines for past Smash Bros. games, and factoring what we know about SSB4 into the mix (2-3 year development cycle, etc.), we're looking at a formal reveal this fall and a release in the summer of 2014. The Dojo updates began six months before the completion of Melee and Brawl, so those will probably start in late 2013.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
His final smash would be petitioning other players to make him lose but they end up failing.

But seriously.

B - chargeable buster gun
Side B - machine gun arm
Up B - drill arm
Down B - reflector arm
Final Smash - shining laser

Oh, destroying items, projectiles, and such nets him refractors. When he collects a certain amount, a word UPGRADE will appear on top of him. Performing a B move while that is active will upgrade said attack.

Emitan

1upmuffin

Also, it'd be nice if Classic could use retro stages next time around on occasion. Why am I forced to play New Pork City if I face Ness? Onett would be much more fitting.

Also New Pork City is one of the worst stages in any Smash Brothers game...

Anyways, for the next Smash Brothers I really don't want to see Mii's, but knowing Nintendo, the Mii seems like an obvious thing to add.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Anyways, for the next Smash Brothers I really don't want to see Mii's, but knowing Nintendo, the Mii seems like an obvious thing to add.

That's the first time I've ever seen that opinion. Are you worried that Miis would increase the chances of a Wii Music stage?

Actually a Wii Music stage would be awesome. It would have it's own theme (arrangement of the Wii Music theme obviously), but it only plays the notes when someone gets hit.

Berordn

Also New Pork City is one of the worst stages in any Smash Brothers game...

A Mii with the body armor from swordfighting and doing crazy sports-based stunts would be kind of cool to see, I think. But if the animal crossing villagers couldn't make it in, no reason to assume the Mii would.

1upmuffin

miis weren't in brawl so i don't see why they would be in sm4sh.

Understandable, but I also didn't expect Nintendo to add Mii's to the Mario series, as seen in the Super Mario Bros. Mii Wii U demo (I understand this is not a confirmed game but my point still stands).

Also, in the possibility that they do add Mii's, they better not have those ear piercing voices they did in Mario Kart 7.

EDIT: @Berordn, even though I don't want Mii's in the game, I would love to play as Tom Nook.

Hero

Because I'm sure after having developed KI:U Sakurai considers the characters more personal than before.

Yes, never mind that the Kirby series went three games before getting a single other character besides Kirby and that it's a long running series that consistently sells really well.

Sales have nothing to do with character selection, otherwise we would've never gotten Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Captain Falcon, Lucas, etc. Not to mention the fact that I believe Sakurai said in an interview either Meta Knight or King Dedede was planned for Melee but didn't make it in for whatever reason.

Since Kid Icarus Uprising came out I can see Nintendo trying to push it as another franchise now and I fully expect Sakurai to extend this into SSB4 with the inclusion of more characters to help popularize the franchise. The only reason the west ever got the Fire Emblem games was because of how popular Marth and Roy were in Melee.

As a side note, when the Brawl Dojo was going on I really expected Mii's on your Wii to be the enemies for Endless Brawl and stuff like that.

cednym

Banned
miis weren't in brawl so i don't see why they would be in sm4sh.

Well, in 2005, when the roster was decided, Miis didn't exist yet (the Wii itself was still called the Revolution at the time). Even when the Miis emerged in 2006, nobody could have known how prevalent they would become -- they're everywhere now. They've become something of a mascot.

Wiz

Was playing this for hours with some friends the other day, and it just makes me hope that Nintendo really pushes playing locally with this game. It'll probably have a ton of improved online functionality, but nothing is better than grabbing some friends and playing some Smash Bros.

cednym

Banned
Not to mention the fact that I believe Sakurai said in an interview either Meta Knight or King Dedede was planned for Melee but didn't make it in for whatever reason.

That reason being he didn't want to promote his own work over other people's, which sort of goes against your Kid Icarus argument. That it took three games before Sakurai added additional Kirby characters speaks to his humility. He isn't going to include tons of characters from a series as small as Kid Icarus just because he worked on the latest entry. Even if Sakurai wasn't the director of the series, Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede all deserve to be in Smash Bros. The same can really only be said for Pit and Palutena.

Cranzor

I've said it earlier but I'd like to see Porky. Since we have the main character from Earthbound and the main character from Mother 3 already in Smash, the only character left that can represent both is Porky. I'm still not sure about a moveset though.

Actually, a better example would be "Why does Mother have 2 characters? The series has 3 games and has been dead for forever by the time Lucas got in

Mother 3 came out in 2006 and the Brawl roster was decided in 2005.

Sales have nothing to do with character selection, otherwise we would've never gotten Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, R.O.B., Captain Falcon, Lucas, etc.

I agree with you about sales not having much to do with it, but Mother 3 actually did sell well. Still, that wasn't a factor for Lucas anyway since he was decided to be in a year before Mother 3 was released.

Somehow my whole post managed to be about Mother!

That's the first time I've ever seen that opinion. Are you worried that Miis would increase the chances of a Wii Music stage?

Actually a Wii Music stage would be awesome. It would have it's own theme (arrangement of the Wii Music theme obviously), but it only plays the notes when someone gets hit.
The other stage gimmick is that you're constantly under attack by this guy.

Hero

That reason being he didn't want to promote his own work over other people's, which sort of goes against your Kid Icarus argument. That it took three games before Sakurai added additional Kirby characters speaks to his humility. He isn't going to include tons of characters from a series as small as Kid Icarus just because he worked on the latest entry. Even if Sakurai wasn't the director of the series, Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede all deserve to be in Smash Bros. The same can really only be said for Pit and Palutena.

Which is why Kid Icarus not originally being his creation might get by that humility thing. I agree Meta Knight deserved to be in Smash Bros. I would put Dedede on the same level as Medusa. In terms of series being big or small, Mother is pretty small and is effectively dead. Star Fox has sucked since Star Fox 64 yet they managed to put Wolf in and I don't think anyone was asking for him.

I'm sticking by Palutena being a shoe-in for SSB4. Medusa would be nice to flesh out the female roster in addition to the villain list.

cednym

Banned
I would put Dedede on the same level as Medusa.

Medusa was the main villain of one game in the '80s and a secondary villain in another. Dedede is the primary recurring antagonist of a multi-million-selling series. I don't see the connection.

Hero

Medusa was the main villain of one game in the '80s and a secondary villain in another. Dedede is the primary recurring antagonist of a multi-million-selling series. I don't see the connection.

In terms of popularity. In terms of being a villain, Dedede isn't even that much of a bad guy at all. Also, maybe you should spoiler-tag your post regarding Medusa since some people might not have played KI:U yet, bucko.

I also like how you cherry-pick one thing out of my post.

Snakey

I think another reason Palutena will get in, despite Sakurai's humility, is Palutena's series importance in comparison to every other female Nintendo character not yet in Smash Bros. (aside from Dixie Kong). Palutena will be Smash 4's "sexy female" newcomer much like Zero Suit Samus was for Brawl. The only two female newcomer characters I am really betting on getting in are Palutena and Dixie Kong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom