• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snakey said:
I decided go into some details that I think are important in regards to speculation pertaining Fire Emblem in Smash Bros.

On Sakurai and Fire Emblem:
Sakurai has called himself a big fan of the Fire Emblem series. He has gone as far as to be the interviewer for the Iwata Asks feature for Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. Sakurai has stated that his favorite character in the series is Nabarl.

On Marth in Smash Bros.:
Marth is the face of Fire Emblem in Japan. Fire Emblem Monsho no Nazo is to Fire Emblem as Ocarina of Time is to Zelda or Star Fox 64 is to Star Fox. FE3 is by far the most popular game in the series in Japan, and sold by far the most copies. Marth was also the main lord for four games in the series (two games prior to Melee). Marth was also by far the most requested character to represent the Fire Emblem series in a poll that Sakurai had prior to beginning development on Melee (by comparison, Celice got only four votes, while Sigurd and Leaf only got two votes each).

On Roy in Smash Bros.:
Contrary to popular belief, Roy was not placed in at the request of Intelligent Systems, but rather it was Sakurai's idea. Sakurai said that placing in Roy was his idea and that he did it primarily to promote "not just a new game, but the series as a whole."

On Ike in Smash Bros:
Sakurai stated in an interview with Famitsu that Ike got in Smash Bros. because he wanted Fire Emblem to have a new character from a more recent installment and he did not know who to put in. Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for help regarding this matter, and Intelligent Systems suggest Ike to Sakurai. It is important to keep in mind that FE9 was the worst selling game in the series in Japan (yes, even selling more poorly than Thracia 776). The only three games in the series to sell below 200K in Japan were FE9, FE5, and FE10. Another interesting thing to note is that Sakurai said he originally planned for Ike to have the Ragnell's ranged attack, however, he felt this made Ike unbalance so it was scrapped.

On Roy being cut from Brawl:
Mewtwo and Roy being cut was likely the result of time constraints. Sakurai has gone on the record to say that he intended more characters to be in Brawl's roster but was not able to implement them due to time constraints.

Those who peered into the game's coding have found character folders for these characters:
- Mewtwo
- Roy
- Dr. Mario
- Dixie Kong
- Plusle & Minun
- Toon Zelda
- Toon Sheik

They are often referred to as being the "Forbidden 7" by the Smash community. There are known reasons as to why some of these characters were dropped. For Dixie Kong, Sakurai mentioned in a Famitsu interview that he originally intended for Diddy & Dixie to be a duo when fighting, however, his team was unable to get team play mechanics to work for them, so Dixie was scrapped. This may have also been the reason that Plusle & Minun was scrapped as well, since they would have utilized a team-based moveset of some sort (however, there are many who also believe that their team play may have been more akin to the Ice Climbers than what Sakurai had planned for Diddy & Dixie). As for Dr. Mario, Toon Zelda, and Toon Sheik, the probable reason as to why they were dropped were possibly Sakurai thinking they did not differentiate themselves enough to be placed on Brawl's roster (as well as for time constraint reasons).

Most Smash fans believe that Sakurai's original plan for the final roster of Brawl was to include Mewtwo and Roy included as playable characters. This is inferred from a file listing from one of Sakurai's scrapped features for Brawl, unique victory themes for every character on Brawl's roster (except Wolf).

snd_bgm_Z01_FMARIO
snd_bgm_Z02_FDONKEY
snd_bgm_Z03_FLINK
snd_bgm_Z04_FSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z05_FYOSSY
snd_bgm_Z06_FKIRBY
snd_bgm_Z07_FFOX
snd_bgm_Z08_FPIKACHU
snd_bgm_Z09_FLUIGI
snd_bgm_Z10_FCAPTAIN
snd_bgm_Z11_FNESS
snd_bgm_Z12_FKUOPA
snd_bgm_Z13_FPEACH
snd_bgm_Z14_FZELDA
snd_bgm_Z15_FSHEIK
snd_bgm_Z16_FICHICLIMBER
snd_bgm_Z17_FMARTH
snd_bgm_Z18_FGAMEWATCH
snd_bgm_Z19_FFALCO
snd_bgm_Z20_FGANON
snd_bgm_Z21_FWARIO
snd_bgm_Z22_FMETAKNIGHT
snd_bgm_Z23_FPITT
snd_bgm_Z24_FZEROSAMUS
snd_bgm_Z25_FPIKMIN
snd_bgm_Z26_FLUCAS
snd_bgm_Z27_FDIDDY
snd_bgm_Z28_FPOKETRAINER
snd_bgm_Z32_FDEDEDE
snd_bgm_Z33_FLICARIO
snd_bgm_Z34_FIKE
snd_bgm_Z35_FROBOT
snd_bgm_Z37_FPURIN
snd_bgm_Z38_FMYU2
snd_bgm_Z39_FROY
snd_bgm_Z41_FTOONLINK
snd_bgm_Z46_FSNAKE
snd_bgm_Z47_FSONIC

This listing showed that Mewtwo and Roy were kept on the roster long after the other characters for the Forbidden 7 had been dropped. The conventional wisdom is that Sonic being placed in so late in the game's development, that development resources had to be allocated from the final five characters that were in development (Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Link, and Wolf) toward Sonic (since unlike the other five, there was no prior planning for his moveset). Jigglypuff was placed on a higher priority due to her seniority in the series, while Toon Link and Wolf were kept because they were new characters, and Sakurai wanted to implement as many new characters as possible. It was thus that Mewtwo and Roy were dropped as a result of priorities and time constraints. It also shows that if Mewtwo and Roy were in Brawl, they would have had no role in the SSE (since their listing is between Jigglypuff and Toon Link).

I hope this helps clarify a few things.
Very interesting list of info, thanks.

I wonder what happens with the Pokemon series. Does he just ask GF what Pokemon to put in or does he pick what he likes?

Gravijah said:
she's not cool enough
Your Raichu is ugly.

Your argument is invalid.

For Pokemon I'd assume the most popular ones get stuck into Pokeballs at the very least (Pokemon company must have tonnes of data on this)...though that said no Mewtwo Pokeball in SSB64? Unless Mewtwo was like really unpopular in Japan or something.

Nintendo do have such records for their franchises. I recall the Mario Strikers Charged team talking about how they got a list from Nintendo of all the characters in the Mario franchise listed by popularity (as a guide, not a you had to use x,y and z).

PokéKong

Having SS Zelda, for those who don't like her for some ungodly reason, would at least be an opportunity to split Sheik into a separate character.
I just never thought the whole transformation mechanic played out in the game as an actual strategic tool, it just ended up giving people who liked to play as either one a few seconds more to select their character and one less special move at their disposal.

Snakey

Starwolf_UK said:
For Pokemon I'd assume the most popular ones get stuck into Pokeballs at the very least (Pokemon company must have tonnes of data on this)...though that said no Mewtwo Pokeball in SSB64? Unless Mewtwo was like really unpopular in Japan or something.

Mewtwo was one of three characters that was originally planned to be playable in Smash 64. The other two that were planned were Bowser and King Dedede.

Gravijah said:
at least it doesn't have a weird ass head like your pikachu
Billychu said:
what a freaky pikachu

Really? Coming from someone with a fatty lil pink Raichu (that messes up a perfectly good Toph picture I might add) and one with some ... hat-wig thing?

Hah ... Ok.

Boney

Banned
Professor Beef said:
What's with the FF9 Raichus all of a sudden? Not that I'm complaining.
raichu has the worst ideas and thinks combining assasins creed with pokemon is a good idea

Ezalc

I call bullshit on all that Fire Emblem stuff Sakurai. Where are these two other games that Marth starred in that I'm missing? Also put Sigurd in the next smash make him a character that switches between using a sword and a lance.

Professor Beef said:
What's with the FF9 Raichus all of a sudden? Not that I'm complaining.

Somebody should make a Amarant Raichu, I'd totally rock that shit.

Boney

Banned
Ezalc said:
I call bullshit on all that Fire Emblem stuff Sakurai. Where are these two other games that Marth starred in that I'm missing? Also put Sigurd in the next smash make him a character that switches between using a sword and a lance.
Fire Emblem DS and Fire Emblem DS 2

Gravijah said:
chet rippo went wild on my raichu and his own raichu.
And killed me in the process

Professor Beef said:
We can't associate with each other until you fix that. Until then, Boney is my new best GAF pal.
who are you again?

Ezalc

spanks said:
-He's not a fan of Sukapon.

My hatred for Sakurai has just reached a new amount of supernova. He can go fuck himself. Sukapon is one of the damn grandfathers of fighting games, more so for Nintendo.

Chet Rippo said:
I was actually thinking of making a whole set...
If you make an Amarant one I'm calling dibs man. Love me some Flaming Salamander.

Ra1den

So uh why does everybody consider Melee to be better than Brawl? I think both of them are not nearly as fun as the N64 original, due to hits feeling weaker and like they just go through characters. I remember on the N64 one I'd jump kick in the air with fox and send somebody reeling, even at low percentages...in later incarnations it's like you need really high percentages to do anything. I think the speed of the N64 one was perfect also, characters had more weight to them and felt solid.

Ezalc

Ra1den said:
So uh why does everybody consider Melee to be better than Brawl? I think both of them are not nearly as fun as the N64 original, due to hits feeling weaker and like they just go through characters. I remember on the N64 one I'd jump kick in the air with fox and send somebody reeling, even at low percentages...in later incarnations it's like you need really high percentages to do anything. I think the speed of the N64 one was perfect also, characters had more weight to them and felt solid.

Those two contradict each other and it's exactly what I didn't like about the n64 one. You were sent flying for the littlest things, it didn't really give people a chance to actually put up a fight. It was even worse considering recovering in the N64 was almost impossible.

Snakey

Ezalc said:
The fuck, those are remakes they shouldn't count as starring in a new game.

Marth was the main hero of FE1, FE3, FE11, and FE12. Both Shadow Dragon and FE12 added to the original storylines (new prologue and new gaiden chapters). Heck, FE12 retconned quite a bit of what happened in Book of FE3.

Marth is the face of Fire Emblem in Japan. FE3 is by far the most popular game in the series over there. Anyone who thinks Ike or any other lord in the series is more important than Marth is absolutely ignorant about the Fire Emblem series.

Also, barely anyone wants Sigurd for Smash Bros. Back when Sakurai held a poll for Melee, only two people voted for Sigurd (the same amount as Leaf). Celice managed to get four votes, however, Oguma (a mercenary unit from FE1/FE3) got more votes than Celice. Marth by far got the most votes of any lord for Sakurai's pre-Melee poll.

From the Japense Smash forums I have been reading, the most wanted Fire Emblem newcomer for Smash 4 is actually Roy (many Smash fans over there are very bitter over Mewtwo and Roy being cut).

lol this thread , if the original 3DS bro "ilikefeet" were here this thread would have closed ages ago.

been a while since i saw that character folder thing with dixie kong, etc, that would have been cool to have her in the game.

lets go funky kong next game B^)

would you guys hate the idea of a super smash bros brawl: x or whatever they call special editions that added those cut characters, it would launch with the wii u :O , do it sakurai

Ezalc

Snakey said:
Marth is the face of Fire Emblem in Japan. FE3 is by far the most popular game in the series over there. Anyone who thinks Ike or any other lord in the series is more important than Marth is absolutely ignorant about the Fire Emblem series.

Never said he wasn't the face, when it's pretty fucking obvious he is considering he was the first lord. No lord is technically more important than the first one, I did think though that Sigurd was more popular in Japan but I guess I was mistaken. He's still a better lord than Marth will ever be though.

Ra1den

Ezalc said:
Those two contradict each other and it's exactly what I didn't like about the n64 one. You were sent flying for the littlest things, it didn't really give people a chance to actually put up a fight. It was even worse considering recovering in the N64 was almost impossible.

Not a contradiction as I'm referring to their movement speed and air speed etc...they had more weight to them, due to the slower movement speed I guess. Characters feel like paper dolls in later ones.

I suppose it's a matter of preference as far as the hit reaction goes, but I liked being rewarded for timing my attack better than my opponent. Now it's like either way I'm gonna trade or he's gonna still be in my face. I never played it at the tournament level or anything so maybe good players get around this, but I used to log on all-day sessions on the N64 version, and later ones got stale for me pretty fast.

Snakey

Ezalc said:
My hatred for Sakurai has just reached a new amount of supernova. He can go fuck himself. Sukapon is one of the damn grandfathers of fighting games, more so for Nintendo.

Sakurai's comment on Sukapon was along the lines of "Don't expect him to be playable in Smash Bros."

Also, I Joy Mecha Fight was released in 1993 for the Famicom, so it is certainly not a grandfather of fighting games. If there is a grandfather for fighting games in relation to Nintendo, its probably the Punch-Out series (the first of which was released in 1984 in the arcades).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
how much I love smash games but I think it is TOO early to have thread since we wouldn't hear anything until E3 2012 or 2013 since I am sure that people are aware that we waited too long for brawl since they announced too early.

They just pulled same thing again.

Ezalc

Snakey said:
Sakurai's comment on Sukapon was along the lines of "Don't expect him to be playable in Smash Bros."

Also, I Joy Mecha Fight was released in 1993 for the Famicom, so it is certainly not a grandfather of fighting games. If there is a grandfather for fighting games in relation to Nintendo, its probably the Punch-Out series (the first of which was released in 1984 in the arcades).

I want Lil' Mac and Sukapon. Both should be playable as both could have interesting movesets. Sakurai can still go fuck himself.

Snakey

IntelliHeath said:
how much I love smash games but I think it is TOO early to have thread since we wouldn't hear anything until E3 2012 or 2013 since I am sure that people are aware that we waited too long for brawl since they announced too early.

They just pulled same thing again.

Keep in mind that Sakurai's original intention was to begin development on Smash 4 this month.

Due to the delay of Kid Icarus Uprising, development likely won't begin until early next year.

I concur with you that we might not be seeing anything about Smash 4 at E3 2012 (aside from Iwata maybe throwing out a few details about it). Smash 4 will have been only a few months in development by the time E3 2012 happens.

However, I do think E3 2013 is a very likely time for a formal unveil (unless of course Nintendo decides to show off Smash 4 at a separate event earlier before then).

Snakey said:
Keep in mind that Sakurai's original intention was to begin development on Smash 4 this month.

Due to the delay of Kid Icarus Uprising, development likely won't begin until early next year.

I concur with you that we might not be seeing anything about Smash 4 at E3 2012 (aside from Iwata maybe throwing out a few details about it). Smash 4 will have been only a few months in development by the time E3 2012 happens.

However, I do think E3 2013 is a very likely time for a formal unveil (unless of course Nintendo decides to show off Smash 4 at a separate event earlier before then).

I will bet (monopoly) money that Nintendo will have a CGI trailer ready for this game by e3, at the very least.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ezalc said:
I want Lil' Mac and Sukapon. Both should be playable as both could have interesting movesets. Sakurai can still go fuck himself.

Oh Hey Ezalc, I guess we are going to through other smash together are we?

I want Little Mac, Takamaru, Issac/Matthew, Magus and Tom Nook.

Tom Nook is just for a dumb reason. My friends hate animal crossing and I would love to beat them with the character that they hate most. :)

Snakey said:

Yeah. They could show one minor CGI like they did in 2007.

2014 will mark their 15th annvy.

Ezalc said:

welp I'm out until we get a proper reveal of this game

Though before that, anybody who was on GAF during Dojo know if there were any particular meltdown moments on the forum? I'd link to a particularly memorable one that happened on a certain liberal
Donkey Kong
forum but I think it's both been deleted and it might be a bit mean-spirited considering the person who posted it has obviously moved on it being nearly 5 years ago now.

I know somebody else from there will link to it soon enough though

EDIT: And for the record I really want Lil' Mac too, but constantly going YEAH WELL THE DEVELOPER OF THIS NITNENDO FIGHTING GAME SHOULD GO FUCK HIMSELF FOR NOT INCLUDING 'X' doesn't exactly scream 'I am a full self-aware and well-adjust person'. I realize this is Smash and I probably did the same thing myself and bordered on doing the same thing earlier in this thread but let it get out of hand and this stuff can come back to haunt you

Snakey

Ezalc said:

Little Mac is certainly deserving for inclusion, and is among the most requested newcomers for Smash 4 among the Western Smash Bros. fanbase.

However, there are two possible obstacles to his inclusion. One is that the Punch-Out series is not popular in Japan and Little Mac is not requested at all by the Japanese Smash fanbase.

The second obstacle is that Sakurai might deem Little Mac "too boring" to warrant being given a playable spot (since all of his moves would likely only be punches). Sakurai excluded the Urban Champion for similar reaons, one of several characters that Sakurai had considered for the retro spot in Melee that later went to the Ice Climbers. His reason for excluding the Urban Champion was that "he could not do much of anything with him". In the original game of Urban Champion, all the titular character could do was punch and throw a bomb.

On the topic of Japan-exclusive retro characters (Takamaru, Lip, Sukapon), the most likely of them to be made playable in Smash 4 is Takamaru, the main protagonist of Nazo no Murasame. Nazo no Murasame has become a cult hit in Japan, and Takamaru is among the most requested newcomers for Smash 4 among the Japanese Smash fanbase. Takamaru also had a prominent cameo in the Wii version of Samurai Warriors 3 (as well as being a major NPC in Captain Rainbow, though that game bombed). Takamaru's main obstacle though is that he is basically unknown to Western Smash fans. However, Sakurai has said he has no qualms with including Japan-exclusive character if he believes that they would have international appeal.

Boney

Banned
friskykillface said:
lol this thread , if the original 3DS bro "ilikefeet" were here this thread would have closed ages ago.
rip

Chet Rippo said:
I was actually thinking of making a whole set...

Who are you? The Boney I know is dead.
why you not in the irc

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think players, even if they don't know him, would like Takamaru regardless. He's a samurai, after all, and if the American fanbase has no problem accepting girly swordsmen from games they've never played, I think they'd accept a cool samurai character.

Plus, you know, his inclusion in Smash may serve as a way to reinvigorate interest in the character which means future games for him, which might now come outside of Japan since people will be familiar with him.

Actually, I'd love if Sakurai takes a retro character who debuts in the next Smash and re-invents them like he did for Pit (I like Uprising, atleast, haha), and Takamaru would be a neat character to go with.

EDIT: Why does Sakurai hate Sukapon, btw? Does he have a beef with one of the designers?

Snakey

Watch Da Birdie said:
EDIT: Why does Sakurai hate Sukapon, btw? Does he have a beef with one of the designers?

As far as what I am aware of, Sakurai has not said anything regarding Sukapon aside from saying "don't expect him to ever become playable."

Sakurai has also commented on Lip from Panel de Pon. He was commenting to a fan inquiry saying that Lip would make a great addition to Smash Bros. in light of how few playable female characters there are on the roster.

Sakurai's response to the request of Lip was:
"Lip, how many people know who she is? On the topic on Panel de Pon though, I feel it is a true masterpiece. Everyone should play it if they ever get the chance."

It seems as though Sakurai thinks highly of Panel de Pon but will not include Lip due to feeling that she is obscure (she is Japan-exclusive and retro). That must explain why Melee and Brawl had quite a bit of Panel de Pon content, but no Lip.

Lip would be an interesting character to see get a modern re-design (like Pit did in Brawl).

I think Little Mac has a higher chance of getting in due to getting a new game recently. And compared to Urban Champion, Little Mac has a lot more character.
Boney said:
why you not in the irc
Because I'm not.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think it would be cool to see how Sakurai could reflect the puzzle genre in Lip's moveset somehow, yet at the same time I'm kind of worried to see Lip redone in order to appeal to the modern Japanese gamer. Let's just say that I can see Travis Touchdown taking a liking to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom