• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jigglypuff is male?

Jigglypuff is an it. Always watching, waiting for the chance to strike. And when it does, humanity will be no more.

Those eyes...

gallery_56893_291_126675.gif

They stare into your soul.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That top IGN list is so boring.

It's pretty much Starter Pokemon/Legendaries/Furries at the top. Most of my favorite Pokemon even from the earlier Gens are the goofier Pokemon like Gligar and Drowzee.

I know Gen 2 only added 100 pokemon but holy crap were they consistent

I can only count 3, maybe 4 that I really dislike.

edit: sorry that picture was way bigger than I thought

Kokonoe

Banned
Caterpie is my favorite Pokemon.

I'd shit bricks if that little dude was in a Smash game. String shot combos!

They should purposely break the character which String Shot stun infinite.
I remember in Gold and Silver I hacked a Caterpie to 100 with Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Thunder, and Hyper Beam.

Anth0ny

Oh great, a Pokemon gen design argument...

There's never a winner. If you like gen 1 or 2, you're wearing nostalgia goggles. If you like gen 3, 4 or 5, you're dumb. Back and forth. Every time.

I like Gen 1 the most (probably because of Sugimori's original style, which was awesome), but I'm a fan of every gen.

On topic: Jigglypuff isn't going anywhere. WHY DOES THIS DISCUSSION KEEP COMING UP?

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh great, a Pokemon gen design argument...

There's never a winner. If you like gen 1 or 2, you're wearing nostalgia goggles. If you like gen 3, 4 or 5, you're dumb. Back and forth. Every time.

I like Gen 1 the most (probably because of Sugimori's original style, which was awesome), but I'm a fan of every gen.

On topic: Jigglypuff isn't going anywhere. WHY DOES THIS DISCUSSION KEEP COMING UP?

If that's how I was coming across I apologize. I was merely stating my own opinion of Gen V due to the comparisons being brought up.

I like every generation except Gen V. It's weird for me to not consider a certain generation spectacular as I consider 1-4 just that. And I don't entirely dislike it, I just don't think it's amazing as the last 4 generations.

Gen 2 is my favorite.

Anth0ny

If that's how I was coming across I apologize. I was merely stating my own opinion of Gen V due to the comparisons being brought up.

I like every generation except Gen V, it's weird for me to not consider a certain Generation spectacular as I consider 1-4 just that. And I don't entirely dislike it, I just don't think it's amazing as the last IV generations.

Gen 2 is my favorite.

Nah, wasn't talking about anyone in particular. I've seen the argument on GAF, 4chan, even real life... always the same =P

I actually liked gen 5 more than 3 and 4. 4 is by far my least favorite, mainly because of the botches evolutions of Magmar, Rhydon, Magneton and other gen 1 favorites.

ffdgh

...i miss peach's crown being an outfit for jiggly...and have a peach,daisy,kirby crown and jigglypuff crown battles.

You should really expand your points, son.
Basically I realized how much nostalgia probably plays a role in my opinion, so I decided to bring up charts of each generations pokemon and try to judge them unbiasedly.
Gen 2 is really striking in how well designed the pokemon are throughout. They all really appeal to me, and there are very few "throw away" pokemon compared to other gens. I think they did a good job in quality control. It's all just opinion of course.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Basically I realized how much nostalgia probably plays a role in my opinion, so I decided to bring up charts of each generations pokemon and try to judge them unbiasedly.
Gen 2 is really striking in how well designed the pokemon are throughout. They all really appeal to me, and there are very few "throw away" pokemon compared to other gens. I think they did a good job in quality control. It's all just opinion of course.

But that's not what consistent means :p

Anth0ny

...i miss peach's crown being an outfit for jiggly...and have a peach,daisy,kirby crown and jigglypuff crown battles.

I used to use Queen Jigglypuff =(

I was so disappointed when she was gone in Brawl. And the fact that she was nerfed to fucking hell.

But that's not what consistent means :p

Well his idea is that they are consistently well designed I guess, I completely disagree myself, least favourite Gen here but that's another matter.

Actually there is one point I must respond to, it has the most throw away pokemon of any gen, many can't be obtained until the post game and the original 150 still have major presence, some are are trapped in rare swarms, baby pokemon, a ton of weaker pokemon that took until Gen4 to get evos to make them usable while some like Delibird are still crummy to this day. It is THE throw away gen of pokemon if anything.

But if I go on like this we'll just get the gen warfare stuff going so no more from me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well his idea is that they are consistently well designed I guess, I completely disagree myself, least favourite Gen here but that's another matter.

Actually there is one point I must respond to, it has the most throw away pokemon of any gen, many can't be obtained until the post game and the original 150 still have major presence, some are are trapped in rare swarms, baby pokemon, a ton of weaker pokemon that took until Gen4 to get evos to make them usable while some like Delibird are still crummy to this day. It is THE throw away gen of pokemon if anything.

But if I go on like this we'll just get the gen warfare stuff going so no more from me.

In hindsight, yeah, Gen II has plenty of useless pokemon that relied too much in Gen I stuff.

I guess when he meant consistent he meant "consistent with Gen I".

That's exactly what I meant. No problem, opinions are opinions, I respect yours. I completely disagree but you're right these types of arguments always devolve into mean-spirited affairs. I suppose that's why they remake old games, to please everyone (and make easy money). I will try and refrain from any more pokemon debate.

In hindsight, yeah, Gen II has plenty of useless pokemon that relied too much in Gen I stuff.

I guess when he meant consistent he meant "consistent with Gen I".
Won't argue there, Gen 3 brings in quite a design shift with body patterns all over the shop, gen 1 and 2 stand closer together design wise.

That's exactly what I meant. No problem, opinions are opinions, I respect yours. I completely disagree but you're right these types of arguments always devolve into mean-spirited affairs. I suppose that's why they remake old games, to please everyone (and make easy money). I will try and refrain from any more pokemon debate.
Fair enough, plus even if i consider them the weakest set I still like them anyway, the problem with these debates comes from the people who seemingly cannot accept like any design within a whole hundred plus.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Gen II lacking throwaway Pokemon? Bwuh?

The Gen with Dunsparce, Unown, Yanma, Sunflora, Aipom, Girafarig, Qwilfish, Gligar, Delibird, Murkrow, and Misdreavus?

Not that those are bad designs, because I like most of them, but Johto had quite a lot of rather weak Pokemon all around. Most people when they play GSC stick to the Kanto Pokemon because they overshadow the Johto Pokemon, something I felt was always a bit of a shame with GSC.

Haha sorry for the derail. Back on topic:

For those that aren't competitive/tourney players, did you enjoy the combat system changes such as the lighter feel, air dodging, etc.? (Tripping aside, obviously everyone hates that).

As mentioned, I really think Pichu should return. It was given a big push from '99-'01, and even though its prominence died off when Plusle and Minun were introduced, it regained its relevance surrounding the release of HeartGold/SoulSilver and the related films and spinoffs.

Arceus and the Jewel of Life (July 2009)
bPGvc.png

Spiky-eared Pichu debuted in the ninth feature film as one its most heavily marketed Pokémon, appearing on much of the movie's promotional material. In fact, Pikachu-colored Pichu were distributed to Japanese moviegoers who preordered tickets…

Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver (September 2009)
DMWFy.png

…and taking the Pikachu-colored Pichu to Ilex Forest in HeartGold or SoulSilver allowed players to obtain the Spiky-eared Pichu.

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs (March 2010)
AtBtx.png

Ukulele Pichu was marketed as the main character of this title, developed in-house by Creatures. It also appeared in a special anime short produced in conjunction with the game.

I could actually see Sakurai reusing his tandem Plusle & Minun idea for the Spiky-eared and Pikachu-colored Pichu, but any version of Pichu would suffice.

I'd love to see Pichu back (though I personally want every Melee clone back, heck I'd take Young Link as a separate character from Toon Link).

Make Pichu's Final Smash Discharge, causing it to unleash a wave of electric bolts that get bigger and stronger the more it has damaged itself during the match.

Snakey

As mentioned, I really think Pichu should return. It was given a big push from '99-'01, and even though its prominence died off when Plusle and Minun were introduced, it regained its relevance surrounding the release of HeartGold/SoulSilver and the related films and spinoffs.

Arceus and the Jewel of Life (July 2009)
bPGvc.png

Spiky-eared Pichu debuted in the ninth feature film as one its most heavily marketed Pokémon, appearing on much of the movie's promotional material. In fact, Pikachu-colored Pichu were distributed to Japanese moviegoers who preordered tickets…

Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver (September 2009)
DMWFy.png

…and taking the Pikachu-colored Pichu to Ilex Forest in HeartGold or SoulSilver allowed players to obtain the Spiky-eared Pichu.

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs (March 2010)
AtBtx.png

Ukulele Pichu was marketed as the main character of this title, developed in-house by Creatures. It also appeared in a special anime short produced in conjunction with the game.

I could actually see Sakurai reusing his tandem Plusle & Minun idea for the Spiky-eared and Pikachu-colored Pichu, but any version of Pichu would suffice.

I was thinking about Pichu coming back with a team mechanic (Pichu Bros.), however, that idea would borrow a little too much from the Pokemon anime. However, I do think Pichu is certainly important enough to warrant his return despite being unpopular among the Smash Bros. fanbase. I am really curious if Sakurai has had second thoughts on cutting characters in general. Mewtwo and Roy are the ones I am pulling for the most though.

Also, as for the idea of Dr. Mario being a costume, I am remembering that during Sakurai's pre-Melee journal someone requested to have Dr. Mario as a costume and Sakurai rejected the idea on the grounds of Dr. Mario not being able to shoot fireballs. I think its safe to say that if Sakurai decides to bring back Pichu, Dr. Mario will probably be brought back as well (especially considering how Doc had more fans than Pichu did within the Smash Bros. fanbase). However, outside of the Smash Bros. fanbase, I think its safe to say that Pichu is one of the most iconic and popular Pokemon.

qq more

For those that aren't competitive/tourney players, did you enjoy the combat system changes such as the lighter feel, air dodging, etc.? (Tripping aside, obviously everyone hates that).

I enjoy that it is at least slower than Melee, but I do feel it's a tad too slow sometimes. I think 64 got it right with the speed. I honestly hope they don't go back to Melee's speed.

Gen 2 has the worst fucking roster, though.

In theory, I don't have a problem with a game that's slower than Melee, but I don't think Brawl feels as polished (from a gameplay standpoint) as Melee.

cednym

Banned
I am really curious if Sakurai has had second thoughts on cutting characters in general. Mewtwo and Roy are the ones I am pulling for the most though.

Among the missing veterans, they're definitely the most important ones. What with their names still being on the disc in a handful of places, I'd be willing to make a significant bet that the late addition of Sonic (and his stage, AT, trophies, etc.) is what directly resulted in Mewtwo and Roy being left unfinished. I imagine work on those two had only just begun when Sakurai got the go-ahead to include Sonic in 2007.

It probably speaks well for both characters that they were cut at the last minute; that might make Sakurai want to include them even more this time around.

I can't see Roy getting in at this point because Krom kind of has to. Maybe Krom could replace Ike and Roy could stay as a Marth clone or something.

Snakey

I can't see Roy getting in at this point because Krom kind of has to. Maybe Krom could replace Ike and Roy could stay as a Marth clone or something.

I don't think Krom necessarily has to be placed in. FE13 is basically a continuation of Marth's storyline (set in the far future though). I think bringing back Roy might be an attractive option for IS since they have expressed interest in remaking FE6. However, keep in mind Sakurai did give the series two playable characters when the series was still just a Japan-only franchise. The Fire Emblem characters were the most popular characters of both Melee and Brawl, so I think four characters for the series would be well-received by players, even if they looked/played similar to one another. I can easily see both Krom and Roy getting in.

Still I am kind of cynical of the idea of recycling slots (Pokemon and Fire Emblem), and I rather Sakurai simply opt to place a newcomer for those series if/when someone really interested and prominent comes along.

GamerSoul

I don't think Krom necessarily has to be placed in. FE13 is basically a continuation of Marth's storyline (set in the far future though). I think bringing back Roy might be an attractive option for IS since they have expressed interest in remaking FE6. However, keep in mind Sakurai did give the series two playable characters when the series was still just a Japan-only franchise. The Fire Emblem characters were the most popular characters of both Melee and Brawl, so I think four characters for the series would be well-received by players, even if they looked/played similar to one another. I can easily see both Krom and Roy getting in.

Still I am kind of cynical of the idea of recycling slots (Pokemon and Fire Emblem), and I rather Sakurai simply opt to place a newcomer for those series if/when someone really interested and prominent comes along.

I don't think people would mind having 4 FE reps or if Ike is replaced with Krom. Roy and Krom could easily absorb some of Ike's move also. The only gripe I have is that the series has alot of different type of units and lords so it would have be a nice surprise to have a characters like Lyn but it is what it is and I've come to terms with that.

i'm hoping sakurai puts in the work to give every character new moves.

That would be interesting and would keep the older characters fresh, I'm for it but it doesn't have to be too drastic a change because it might be smarter to give a newcomer that movelist.

Characters I most want in SSB4:

Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Mega Man, Waluigi, Ghirahim, Ridley, and Tetra.

Slippy or Peppy to continually beat the crap out of.

Characters I most want in SSB4:

Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Mega Man, Waluigi, Ghirahim, Ridley, and Tetra.

Slippy or Peppy to continually beat the crap out of.

My list is a little more unconventional:

Hades
, Scrafty, Agent J, Karate Joe, Tom Nook, Paper Mario, Toon Ganondorf, Noxus, and Little Mac.

GamerSoul

My most wanted list:

Captain Syrup

And the rest:

Isaac
lil Mac
Impa
Ray MK
Ridley
Bowser Jr.
Advance War character
Lyn

I honestly don't know what i really want right now other than Syrup.

cednym

Banned
I recently went back and played through the New Super Mario Bros. and Galaxy games, and I think Bowser Jr. has a really good chance at making the roster. The plot of both NSMB games essentially revolve around him. Keep in mind that as of Brawl's planning period, Sunshine was the only mainline game he had appeared in.

Here's a Sakurai-esque move set I just came up with for him, and there's none of that implausible Shadow Mario transformation garbage.

22KuJ.png

General: He's light and very fast. His standard attacks would be things like bites and scratches, not unlike Bowser.

Side Smash Attack: Sideways Paintbrush Swing
Up Smash Attack: Upward Paintbrush Swing
Down Smash Attack: Sweeping Paintbrush Swipes (multiple hits)

Standard Special Move: Fireball [New Super Mario Bros. Wii]
Bowser Jr. rears back and spits out a fireball projectile.

Side Special Move: Green Shell Throw [New Super Mario Bros.]
Bowser Jr. tosses a green shell at the opponent; hold B down to charge this up and increase the speed of the throw.

Up Special Move: Spinning Shell [he retracts into his shell in NSMB]
A faster version of Bowser's Whirling Fortress.

Down Special Move: Paint Puddle [Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Sports Mix]
Bowser Jr. mops the floor with his paintbrush, creating a small puddle of paint that stays down for about 5 seconds. If the opponent comes in contact with the puddle they'll slip. 2 puddles can appear on the screen at a time.

Final Smash: Koopa Clown Car [New Super Mario Bros. Wii]
Control the Clown Car similar to Yoshi/Pikachu/Diddy/Sonic's Final Smashes. Press A to spin and B to spit a fireball.

Mista Koo

I really don't see how people want Paper Mario, he'd look so off. G&W only works because he's a silhouette.

And yeah Jiggly Puff is male too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom