• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

fisheyes

The problem with Smash Bros fandom is that it inherently tries to use nothing but logic to define things that, quite frankly, Sakurai does because he is a crazy mofo. There was no logical reason to have Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Zero Suit Samus (particularly as a FS transformation), and the biggest one of all, Snake in Brawl. Before that, no logic behind Dr Mario, Young Link, Ice Climbers Marth, Roy and Mr Game & Watch came literally out of nowhere. And even before that, Jigglypuff, Ness and Captain Falcon. All of these were out of left field. You can retroactively claim they went in as part of some pattern, but in reality they came out of nowhere. Yet every character suggestion list has stuff like 'lets have Zoroark becuase he's kinda like Lucario', 'lets have Krystal because we get one Starfox character each game', blah blah blah. You guys are boring.

My point? Its that this guy right here should be a new playable Pokemon character. Why? Because he's cool, that's why.
ZJqCe.png

I win 'Smash Bros speculation'. Go me.

Snakey said:
Krystal is a horrible choice. The character is practically synonymous with the downfall of the Star Fox series. Also most people find the idea of an anthro-fox in a bikini to be squick. Besides, there is now Palutena and Medusa for staff based movesets.

I wonder would we still be having this conversation of Dinosaur Planet actually came out as it was intended? It's not Krystal's fault the game she was in got scrapped and the blanks filled with Star Fox. If anybody deserved a spot on Brawl's roster that wasn't Little Mac it was Krystal. She would've guaranteed to bring something original to the table unlike the 3 other characters that represented Star Fox. Make all the arguments you want about move properties and aesthetic value there was no way that (as much as I love) Wolf should've made the final roster in the state he was in. And Krystal's sex appeal is and will continue to be a non issue and factor. If that's how people approach the character that's their prerogative but that's not a reason to pass her over for a spot in the roster. With all of that being said with Sakurai's pet project being KI:U it wouldn't surprise me to see either one of them make the roster this time around. However, doesn't change the fact that Krystal should've had it in the first place.

Snakey

ReXXXSoprano said:
I wonder would we still be having this conversation of Dinosaur Planet actually came out as it was intended?

Nope because the the rights to Dinosaur Planet (and thus the rights to Krystal) would have been held by Rare.

Still, Krystal has yet to star in a great game, and as others have pointed out, she is practically intertwined with the downfall of the Star Fox series (with many fans wanting her written out of the continuity and simply for all the games after 64 to be retconned out of existence).

Also, if there is any character more than any other that deserved to be a playable character in Brawl, yet did not make it in, it was Ridley. I have a massive essay on the topic if you wish for me to explain this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Snakey said:
Nope because the the rights to Dinosaur Planet (and thus the rights to Krystal) would have been held by Rare.

Still, Krystal has yet to star in a great game, and as others have pointed out, she is practically intertwined with the downfall of the Star Fox series (with many fans wanting her written out of the continuity and simply for all the games after 64 to be retconned out of existence).

Also, if there is any character more than any other that deserved to be a playable character in Brawl, yet did not make it in, it was Ridley. I have a massive essay on the topic if you wish for me to explain this.

Actually a lot of people enjoyed some stuff from post 64 games - it's usually just Krystal that is the clincher.

Also you know what would be hilarious? She's in the game but doesn't use her staff!

spanks

Snakey said:
There are several aspects to your post that are either incorrect or need elaboration. The below points will describe what I objections or notes I felt are worth adding to the topic matter.

1. King Dedede was planned for Smash 64 (meaning a second Kirby character was planned since the beginning of the Smash Bros. series).

2. The hiatus for the Kid Icarus series is 20 years, not 30.

3. Kid Icarus Uprising will have been out for several years by the time Smash 4 is release, so Palutena and Medusa would not serve any advertising purpose.

4. F-Zero has not had a new game since 2004 (and the last two games it did get bombed very hard in sales). As such its understandable as to why the series is continued to be represented with only one playable character in the Smash Bros. series.

5. Mother is a series with only three games (two of which are Japan-only), and Itoi (the creator to the Mother series) himself has said that he considers the series to be over. Mother fans should be grateful that the series even got two playable characters considering these circumstances.

6. Adding Palutena and Medusa would not be out of pride if these characters were genuinely requested by the fans.

Snakey, you totally have some valid points. I was just providing a different perspective is all, I didn't really want to get in a debate or anything. But I'll answer these.

1. Dedede still didn't get in until Brawl, that's at least 25 characters that Sakurai thought were more important.
2. 1986-2012 is 26 years, read my reply again. And I wasn't talking about hiatus, the point was to mention the lack of KI in the public mindshare since its introduction. Even if I was wrong, 20 years with nothing is a lot.
3. So what would be the purpose? The Kid Icarus franchise doesn't have much of a history to represent. Pit was put in to represent NES, like the Ice Climbers in Melee.
4. F-Zero still got six games over 12 years, and why rule out another game? Plus GX is probably the best racing game Nintendo's ever released. Kid Icarus was just another one-off platformer.
5. Fair enough about Mother, although it is a cult classic. Who's to say KI won't be dead after Uprising? Not like Sakurai's gonna be working on a sequel for the next few years anyway, if ever.
6. The roster will likely be decided before Uprising even releases. And maybe it won't be popular, maybe it will turn out mediocre and be overshadowed by better games on 3DS/WiiU.

Metal B said:
483579-blackshadow_large.jpg

He should be included, just for reason to give Ganondorf a new moveset. Black Shadow would be a better and logic fit for an alternative Captain Falcon-Playstyle. In this way Ganondorf can finally become a sword or other more fitting moves, wihout people miss his old playstyle, and we have another F-Zero character.

Plus if you squint, he kinda looks like a Nintendo version of Batman, which is always a plus.

Snakey

spanks said:
2. 1986-2012 is 26 years, read my reply again. And I wasn't talking about hiatus, the point was to mention the lack of KI in the public mindshare since its introduction. Even if I was wrong, 20 years with nothing is a lot.

6. The roster will likely be decided before Uprising even releases. And maybe it won't be popular, maybe it will turn out mediocre and be overshadowed by better games on 3DS/WiiU.

Kid Icarus had a sequel entitled Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters released in late 1991 for the Game Boy. For this reason, the hiatus of the Kid Icarus series is 20 years.

Also, Sakurai has stated multiple times that work on Smash 4 won't even begin until Uprising is complete, and he has not even begun to think about what characters he is going to include.

Its very obvious that Nintendo is prepping Uprising to be a major release (there are even OVAs being made for it). It has been delayed from a launch window title for the 3DS to a Holiday 2011 title, to now an "early 2012" title. Sakurai and Nintendo obviously want this game to have a high level of quality and want it to push 3DS's.

spanks

Snakey said:
Kid Icarus had a sequel entitled Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters released in late 1991 for the Game Boy. For this reason, the hiatus of the Kid Icarus series is 20 years.

Also, Sakurai has stated multiple times that work on Smash 4 won't even begin until Uprising is complete, and he has not even begun to think about what characters he is going to include.

Its very obvious that Nintendo is prepping Uprising to be a major release (there are even OVAs being made for it). It has been delayed from a launch window title for the 3DS to a Holiday 2011 title, to now an "early 2012" title. Sakurai and Nintendo obviously want this game to have a high level of quality and want it to push 3DS's.

Yes, I am aware of the Gameboy game. Once again, I wasn't talking about a hiatus, I was merely drawing attention to the fact that Kid Icarus had almost 30 years to build up as a franchise, but did not.

Yes, I know what Sakurai said. Most games go gold weeks before they are released, even months in the case of some Japanese-to-Stateside localizations.

They might want it to be a success, but it depends on the market. Look at the aforementioned F-Zero GX, for example.

Snakey said:

In a perfect world Rare would still be cooking crack under a Nintendo umbrella. Krystal would be a cat and the Star Fox fans wouldn't have her to worry about.

But we live in a reality where Rare has sold their damn soul. Star Fox games aren't as good as they once were and that has nothing to do with Krystal being a harbinger of death of the series.

And as far as Ridley I've seen the evidence. I've seen the hacks. But if Ridley is gonna appear he can't just be a bit taller than Ganonndorf. Unless they can keep Ridley menacing there isn't a reason to do it. I just don't want to see some of Ridley's cool lost in translation. Because I know that there's no pleasing everyone but they screw something like Ridley up the backlash would be insane. He was excellent as a boss character in the Subspace Emissary. They should've took advantage of him more though. The manga shows a side of Ridley that makes him more menacing than a claw swipe or some fire ever could. If they do it then they need to stay true to what makes Ridley, Ridley. If they can't then stick him to boss status/assist trophy. I'd rather see a Ridley true to what we know than some gimped version that doesn't do that all.

Snakey

ReXXXSoprano said:
I know that there's no pleasing everyone but they screw something like Ridley up the backlash would be insane. .

No. The consensus among most Ridley fans is: Playability or bust.

Also, while many Ganondorf fans were upset that he was a clone in Melee, many more were happy he was playable at all.

Most Ridley fans would be happy with a playable Ridley that was bottom tier, than a Ridley that was not playable at all.

spanks

Imagine if Rare was still with Nintendo. Smash Bros could have got:

- Banjo-Kazooie
- Conker
- Jo Dark, plus Mr Blonde (with skedar/hologram mechanic, obviously)
- Juno/Vela/Lupus
- Battletoads
- J-Bomb from Blast Corps
- Sabreman
- Jetman
- Kameo
- Fulgore, or any KI character really
- Mr Pants
- Viva Pinata dude

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of cool characters too.

JazzmanZ

So have we reached the point in this thread about who shouldn't make it in because of personal opinions?

Also dude I think the only character from Rare that would of ever have any chance of appearing was Banjo, I hear he was supposed to be in SSBM.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ReXXXSoprano said:
In a perfect world Rare would still be cooking crack under a Nintendo umbrella. Krystal would be a cat and the Star Fox fans wouldn't have her to worry about.

But we live in a reality where Rare has sold their damn soul. Star Fox games aren't as good as they once were and that has nothing to do with Krystal being a harbinger of death of the series.

And as far as Ridley I've seen the evidence. I've seen the hacks. But if Ridley is gonna appear he can't just be a bit taller than Ganonndorf. Unless they can keep Ridley menacing there isn't a reason to do it. I just don't want to see some of Ridley's cool lost in translation. Because I know that there's no pleasing everyone but they screw something like Ridley up the backlash would be insane. He was excellent as a boss character in the Subspace Emissary. They should've took advantage of him more though. The manga shows a side of Ridley that makes him more menacing than a claw swipe or some fire ever could. If they do it then they need to stay true to what makes Ridley, Ridley. If they can't then stick him to boss status/assist trophy. I'd rather see a Ridley true to what we know than some gimped version that doesn't do that all.

And honestly some games post 64 have redeemable qualities.

Assault for instance has the best multiplayer and musical score in the franchise, and has a good voice-acting (say what you are going to say, but the only reason 64 voices were remembered was because they were crappy).

Honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of any 1st party characters that are recognizable enough to generate any hype. I mean, the list for characters I'd like to see is nigh endless, but as far as getting characters that representative, I think Brawl did a pretty good job.

I do hope they can sign back Snake and Sonic for another go-around and add Megaman.

JazzmanZ

Well we still have lots of franchises with no fighters, Animal crossing, Golden sun, Custom Robo, Sin and Punishment and the like.

Theres also classic characters like Balloon fighter and Mach rider that could happen (they both were planned for SSBM)

Also Ridley playable would be hype enough for the new game for me and Little mac.

GamerSoul

Metal B said:
483579-blackshadow_large.jpg

He should be included, just for reason to give Ganondorf a new moveset. Black Shadow would be a better and logic fit for an alternative Captain Falcon-Playstyle. In this way Ganondorf can finally become a sword or other more fitting moves, wihout people miss his old playstyle, and we have another F-Zero character.

Hmmm The Horns vs. The Knee.

What characters do you guys think will get the most Hype if revealed across all Western fanbases? I think it would be the 3 that are always mentione Ridley,Mac, and Isaac.

fisheyes said:
The problem with Smash Bros fandom is that it inherently tries to use nothing but logic to define things that, quite frankly, Sakurai does because he is a crazy mofo. There was no logical reason to have Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Zero Suit Samus (particularly as a FS transformation), and the biggest one of all, Snake in Brawl. Before that, no logic behind Dr Mario, Young Link, Ice Climbers Marth, Roy and Mr Game & Watch came literally out of nowhere. And even before that, Jigglypuff, Ness and Captain Falcon. All of these were out of left field. You can retroactively claim they went in as part of some pattern, but in reality they came out of nowhere. Yet every character suggestion list has stuff like 'lets have Zoroark becuase he's kinda like Lucario', 'lets have Krystal because we get one Starfox character each game', blah blah blah. You guys are boring.

My point? Its that this guy right here should be a new playable Pokemon character. Why? Because he's cool, that's why.
ZJqCe.png

I win 'Smash Bros speculation'. Go me.
I agree that he can be random ... but i do think that there's a pattern to things. Like how I'm sure Pokemon will get more than one new character.

Actually, I'm not to sure what will happen with Zoroark. They wanted him/ her to be as effective of a mascot as Lucario but I don't think that's how things turned out. In a poll held by Nintendo Dream Magazine in Japan it showed the top 30 Pokemon according to JPN ... Zoroark and Litwick tied for 18-17 well Chandelure came in 1st place and Whimsicott came in 2nd place.

I would love another PT like case.They could just take 3 cool-semi-important Pokemon and give them to a "Pokemon Champion". Even a Dragon Master would be cool (they can use the 3 Dragons in the 5th gen games). Or just go the Rival route ... but I would prefer they do some non-starters.

Moving away from character debate, what do people think the customization feature will be about?

Stats, attacks, alt-customs/ models (Clones) or all of the above? I really think that that's gonna be a much more interesting focus for this game than people think. Wonder how he will still try to balance everything (for the first time he is allowing others in his team to help balance characters ... IDK if it's because of this new feature or because of how he fucked up Brawl).

Gravijah

if you play as captain falcon and you don't use the pink & white alt you're doing it wrong

JazzmanZ said:
Man the only pokemon I want playable is Deoxy :|

A design as cool as Mewtwo and has different forms to choose from.

deoxys is way cooler than mewtwo. gonna be sad to see lucario go, though!

GamerSoul

Black-Wind said:
Moving away from character debate, what do people think the customization feature will be about?

Stats, attacks, alt-customs/ models (Clones) or all of the above? I really think that that's gonna be a much more interesting focus for this game than people think. Wonder how he will still try to balance everything (for the first time he is allowing others in his team to help balance characters ... IDK if it's because of this new feature or because of how he fucked up Brawl).

I think Sakurai just wants to relieve himself of some of the stresses of the game like the balancing so he could focus on the ideas and concepts. Ultimately we win because more people are involved in the balancing so thers a better chance of a better game.

For the single player I think there will be leveling up skills and attributes but idk how that will be translated into the WiiU game other than a specific mode (like Soul Calibur's Special Vs) or maybe in the console version's single player mode. I can also see the items collected in the 3DS game able to be transferred to the WiiU.

what I'm really wondering about is whether or not the 3DS version will be needed for exclusive content only available to it. OTHER than the single player.

Oh yeah something I found amusing from a few days ago.
spanks said:
-He considers Pit and Ice Climbers NES representatives, and chose them out of a list that included Balloon Fighter (there's still files of him in Melee's game data, so it got pretty far), Excitebiker, Urban Champion, and Bubbles from Clu Clu Land - he basically couldn't see them as fighters.
I found that both amusing and sad at the same time.

That said the stage would be pretty good...if a bit of an Onett clone Well; I suppose you could have flower pots, drain pipes and Urbun Champions fighting and the police to give it a bit of a Wario Ware effect.

KevinCow

Banned
I want a transforming character who's designed in a way that people actually make use of the transform instead of choosing one form and sticking with it.

They kinda tried with Samus and Pokemon Trainer, but neither really worked out. Samus because people don't usually play with final smashes on, and PT because I have never seen anyone who mains him.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
JazzmanZ said:
I'd like to know your reasoning on how Ice climbers and Mr.Game and watch didn't make that list.

Feh, I will make the prediction list for SSB4 and post here so when they reveal all characters. We will see how much I got it right.

JazzmanZ

IntelliHeath said:
Feh, I will make the prediction list for SSB4 and post here so when they reveal all characters. We will see how much I got it right.

Oh I know my question was a bit ridiculous to ask, I'm just asking because I know for a fact there was once a shitty rumour about Sakurai appearing on a radio show axing Ice climbers, Game and watch and Young link for Bowser jr. and Ridley or some shit.

GamerSoul said:
For the single player I think there will be leveling up skills and attributes but idk how that will be translated into the WiiU game other than a specific mode (like Soul Calibur's Special Vs) or maybe in the console version's single player mode. I can also see the items collected in the 3DS game able to be transferred to the WiiU.

what I'm really wondering about is whether or not the 3DS version will be needed for exclusive content only available to it. OTHER than the single player.
The 3DS version is supposed to be the one you "build your character up and customize them" in and the WU game is where you bring them to challenge others and show off your character (on and offline I assume). IMO it seems like this is an important and main feature so I don't think it's gonna be restricted to a "mode".

And yeah, seems like the customization and all it entails is exclusively in the 3DS game. If they do it right they can really make people go out and buy both versions. I can see clones and special attacks and presentation changes (Giving Mario blue fireballs for example) being achievements one would only get on the 3DS (and stat customization feature). Fighting someone with a custom character online when you don't have one would be interesting ... I think it would make people want to get the 3DS title just for that feature.

GamerSoul

Black-Wind said:
The 3DS version is supposed to be the one you "build your character up and customize them" in and the WU game is where you bring them to challenge others and show off your character (on and offline I assume). IMO it seems like this is an important and main feature so I don't think it's gonna be restricted to a "mode".

And yeah, seems like the customization and all it entails is exclusively in the 3DS game. If they do it right they can really make people go out and buy both versions. I can see clones and special attacks and presentation changes (Giving Mario blue fireballs for example) being achievements one would only get on the 3DS (and stat customization feature). Fighting someone with a custom character online when you don't have one would be interesting ... I think it would make people want to get the 3DS title just for that feature.

So kind've like POkemon->Pokemon Standium style right? I was kind've thinking of that but balancing issues may could come up if some characters were "leveled" higher than others, but then again the "leveling up" could just be more customization options for specials like you said which would not be a bad idea at all. I'd like more choices for special moves because it could easily add more depth to the game. AND People would then get their Ganondorf w/ or w/o the sword and options like that.

Or maybe they could have a set amount of points that a player could distribute for each character attribute like Weight,Speed,Power, etc. Can you imagine playing a weak but faster Ike? lol. Idk, it seems like some problems could arise but it would be fun and hectic.

The Color changing would be a nice addition and touch, similar to SC(they did it very well in SC4). There's so many ways they could go with it. I'll prpobably get a 3DS for it no problem.

Starwolf_UK said:
Oh yeah something I found amusing from a few days ago.

I found that both amusing and sad at the same time.

He said something like "we considered a bunch of characters from old NES games (including those) but very few of them had the potential to be developed into full characters". The Urban Champion guys are pretty much the most generic fighters possible, so it's understandable that he thought there was nothing interesting that could be done with them.

Snakey said:
There are several aspects to your post that are either incorrect or need elaboration. The below points will describe what I objections or notes I felt are worth adding to the topic matter.

1. King Dedede was planned for Smash 64 (meaning a second Kirby character was planned since the beginning of the Smash Bros. series).

2. The hiatus for the Kid Icarus series is 20 years, not 30.

3. Kid Icarus Uprising will have been out for several years by the time Smash 4 is release, so Palutena and Medusa would not serve any advertising purpose.

4. F-Zero has not had a new game since 2004 (and the last two games it did get bombed very hard in sales). As such its understandable as to why the series is continued to be represented with only one playable character in the Smash Bros. series.

5. Mother is a series with only three games (two of which are Japan-only), and Itoi (the creator to the Mother series) himself has said that he considers the series to be over. Mother fans should be grateful that the series even got two playable characters considering these circumstances.

6. Adding Palutena and Medusa would not be out of pride if these characters were genuinely requested by the fans.

Snakey, Sakurai will be including Medusa for many reasons irrelevant to advertising.

GamerSoul

Jorok Goldblade said:
I dug through an old Photobucket account and found my pre-brawl predictions. Got a few right, but a lot wrong.

Smash.gif

Is advance wars any good? never played it so im not familiar with the popularity of Sami and Andy. It's a pretty good roster but for Smash 4 I hope we get the guys we really think deserve a slot and some crazy ass Sakurai picks to mix things up.

qq more

Nora Kisaragi said:
Megaman X2 says otherwise

PS: I played a modded brawl at a convention earlier this year, it was awesome. It had Mewtwo and everything. Would definitely support a larger roster for this smash bros.
That's Capcom's localization for you. They even mispronounce Bass in Mega Man 8 :p

Jorok Goldblade said:
As far as discussion about moving character movesets wround goes, I'm wondering if we might see the Skyward Sword Shiekah character as a replacement for Shiek?
I don't really play as Shiek but she shouldn't be replaced. Not only is she a staple at this point but there would be a riot.

Poyunch

Jorok Goldblade said:
As far as discussion about moving character movesets wround goes, I'm wondering if we might see the Skyward Sword Shiekah character as a replacement for Shiek?

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20110930054745300.jpg
And as opposed transforming into Sheik, SS Zelda could just call for this character's help. That would be awesome.

The Lamp

Jorok Goldblade said:

the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-20110930054745300.jpg

I dunno, since as far as we know, Zelda doesn't transform into that character.

The fact that there were assist trophies like Isaac who were IN THE GAME but not PLAYABLE CHARACTERS was just insulting to me. Hopefully we get Isaac this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom