• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alrix

^ I'd agree to add Jigglypuff to that list, but I don't see any scenario where Ganondorf is axed. :S
Since ganon wasn't in SS, and if he is indeed absent from zelda 3ds (I don't think he's been in the modern handheld zelda games) it kinda feels like they want to take a break from him. Plus they could just release him as dlc when zelda wii u comes out and include a code with pre orders or something. It'll give them more time to balance him and make him not be terribad

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Your justification in cutting Jiggs is still laughable at best though, since it assumes she isn't relevant anymore. Like I said, people seem to pretend she doesn't push stuff in Japan.

I think the obstacle for Lip's inclusion is not so much her Japan-only status but the fact that she has wardrobe issues (her skirt).

How so? Peach has bloomers under her skirt as well, and Zelda wears pants. I don't see how giving Lip a pair of bloomers or the likes would be an issue.

qq more

Since ganon wasn't in SS, and if he is indeed absent from zelda 3ds (I don't think he's been in the modern handheld zelda games) it kinda feels like they want to take a break from him. Plus they could just release him as dlc when zelda wii u comes out and include a code with pre orders or something. It'll give them more time to balance him and make him not be terribad

Remove character who has been in the previous 2 games. Release him as DLC in the next.

BRILLIANT.

Snakey

No way Ganondorf will EVER be cut. Ganondorf will most likely return for the next console Zelda. I don't think Ganondorf will be in Zelda 3DS because Ganon/Ganondorf is most of the time absent from handheld Zeldas.

If you actually think Ghirahim (a character whom will likely never return) is more worthy of a spot in Smash 4 than Ganondorf then you probably have a very dismal grasp on the Zelda series. I think even Sheik is more plausible for the cutting block than Ganondorf is.

Galang

Banned

I see what you mean, but he's too iconic in the Zelda series to be cut at this point. I do hope they give him his own moveset this time though. Ghirahim would also be a great addition to the roster too.

Snakey

How so? Peach has bloomers under her skirt as well, and Zelda wears pants. I don't see how giving Lip a pair of bloomers or the likes would be an issue.

Lip is a little girl. Peach is an adult. Peach's dress is also much longer than Lip's skirt, so the potential of upskirts is much greater for Lip. Unless Lip gets a radical re-design on the level that Pit got for Brawl, I don't see Lip ever making it in Smash Bros.

KevinCow

Banned
I'd add peach.

There are a lot of crazy things in your post, but seriously? There is zero chance that Peach gets removed. She's one of the four main characters of the biggest video game franchise ever.

Remove every Melee character IMO TBH IMO.

I thought you worshiped Melee. Good to see you're starting to see the light, but there's no need to go that far. Melee may be inferior to Brawl, but the characters in it are mostly still good.

Star Fox's garbageness comes entirely from Star Fox being garbage. It's only had two games worth a damn, and it's pretty much the only game series in existence that appeals more to creepy furries than Sonic.

cednym

Banned
Lip is a little girl. Peach is an adult. Peach's dress is also much longer than Lip's skirt, so the potential of upskirts is much greater for Lip. Unless Lip gets a radical re-design on the level that Pit got for Brawl, I don't see Lip ever making it in Smash Bros.
Do you really think Lip's dress is the thing holding her back from this game? That's absurd. What about Roll in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? Mind you, Lip's never going to be playable, but it's not because of her outfit.

My list of possible replacements spots goes ...

Lucario
Jpuff
Ike
Falco
Toon Link
Sheik
Lucas
ZZS
One or 2 of the Retro characters (G&W/ IC/ ROB)
The 3rd party characters (Sonic and Snake)

Replacing those characters with new characters would give us the 11-12 expected range for new-comers without beefing up the over all number.

I think those slots would be best filled with new series and unknowns for the most part. Cause why replace everyone with more characters from the same old series?

My list for replacements goes ...

6th gen Pokemon
Chrome
Captain Syrup
Impa
Ridley (that covers the additions to vet series ...)
Golden Sun Pro-Tag
Lil Mac
1 set of S&P Pro-tags (Clones or Luigied, either way it wouldn't be hard to do get both in under the same move-set. Other set could be alts)
Shulk or some other new RPG protag. Or Maybe even Miyamoto's new IP ...
AW character (Andy or Sami or someone. I could see Sami inheriting Snake's move-set.)

Other new characters and returning characters and 3rd party characters are reserved for future DLC (you KNOW there's gonna be DLC ...)

Snakey

Do you really think Lip's dress is the thing holding her back from this game? That's absurd. What about Roll in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? Mind you, Lip's never going to be playable, but it's not because of her outfit.

No, I just think its part of the problem. Sakurai has officially said regarding Lip that he thinks the problem with her is her obscurity even taking just the Japanese Smash Bros. fanbase into account.

One or 2 of the Retro characters (G&W/ IC/ ROB)

Ice Climbers are very unlikely - they are the most unique character in the entire game, utilizing an AI partner, something that Sakurai really wanted to include.
G&W and ROB are unlikely as well, being representations of Nintendo's hardware (!) history, after all.

Boss Doggie

Star Fox's garbageness comes entirely from Star Fox being garbage. It's only had two games worth a damn, and it's pretty much the only game series in existence that appeals more to creepy furries than Sonic.

Oh boy, this again!

Next thing you'll tell me is that Bandai's Bronx series are for furries too!

Alrix

I see what you mean, but he's too iconic in the Zelda series to be cut at this point. I do hope they give him his own moveset this time though. Ghirahim would also be a great addition to the roster too.

I'm not saying he's not a key part of the entire Zelda series because obviously he is, but if roster spots are going to be at a premium coupled with the fact that there's a good chance Ganondorf's hiatus could stretch to 10 years (TP -> Zelda Wii u) I just could see him being dropped for Ghirahim, a more recent character who probably got just as much face time in Skyward sword as Ganondorf did in Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess combined. Again I'm not taking away from Ganondorf's value to the Zelda series, because we're not talking about Zelda . I'm talking about his value as a fighter in Smash bros. And this is only if Sakurai is actually for real about being at the character limit and "taking things in a different direction".

Galang

Banned
My list of possible replacements spots goes ...

My list for replacements goes ...

6th gen Pokemon
Chrome
Captain Syrup
Impa
Ridley (that covers the additions to vet series ...)
Golden Sun Pro-Tag
Lil Mac
1 set of S&P Pro-tags (Clones or Luigied, either way it wouldn't be hard to do get both in under the same move-set. Other set could be alts)
Shulk or some other new RPG protag. Or Maybe even Miyamoto's new IP ...
AW character (Andy or Sami or someone. I could see Sami inheriting Snake's move-set.)

Other new characters and returning characters and 3rd party characters are reserved for future DLC (you KNOW there's gonna be DLC ...)

I would be extremely happy with this list + someone from Kid Icarus and a Pokemon Trainer roster change. Sin & Punishment, Advance Wars & Golden Sun are the franchises I'd like to see get representation the most. I'd also like to see more female representation + villains so this list works pretty well.

Snakey

I feel the only characters that are in a serious danger of being cut are Snake, Sonic, Ike, Lucario, and Toon Link. Everyone else has little reason to be cut.

qq more

I hate this cutting character discussion. Let's talk about something else before my blood boils more.

Like... stages! Let's come up with cool stage ideas! We rarely (if never) done that!

Ice Climbers are very unlikely - they are the most unique character in the entire game, utilizing an AI partner, something that Sakurai really wanted to include.
G&W and ROB are unlikely as well, being representations of Nintendo's hardware (!) history, after all.

Gotta leave something for DLC.
Like I put in my post, I DO think that even if the game initially has only 39-40 characters we can expect Nintendo to have DLC made for it with the excuse of "HEY, we finished the game and when it was all done and over with we thought "HEY, we could make some of these characters work if some of the team members kept at it after it's out!". So here's a DLC packet with a few returning characters, a few new characters and some 3rd party surprises! ...$5-10s!!!".

So I'm just picking the things I think wouldn't upset too many people until they make some DLC.

There's only one truly worthy Advance Wars character.

Training3.png

Gotta leave something for DLC.

Honestly, I don't think characters that aren't particularly popular in general, like ROB or the ICs, are going to be DLC.
That said, cutting the Icies, ROB, etc. would make glaring omissions from the roster at this point.

As a matter of fact, I don't think any characters but the promotional ones (Ike, Lucas, Lucario, 3rd parties) are in any REAL danger.

Wichu

I really hope they don't stoop so low as to cut characters for future DLC. Paid DLC should be new, additional content only.

Boss Doggie

Seriously now.

You're wearing a creepy muscle fetish furry avatar of a Star Fox character.

And you're arguing that it doesn't appeal to furries.

Seriously now.

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying it has merits despite that. The only crappy game in the series is Command and depending on who you ask, Adventures. Assault is pretty average.

Heropon

I really hope they don't stoop so low as to cut characters for future DLC. Paid DLC should be new, additional content only.

I like the way you think. I think that cutting characters from the last game to make them DLC is like using cut content from the same game as DLC. Knowing Nintendo's opinion in this aspect maybe I can be confident about them not doing this but then I think about the battle frontier and my body shudders.

I hate this cutting character discussion. Let's talk about something else before my blood boils more.
*insert moe~ gif here
Like... stages! Let's come up with cool stage ideas! We rarely (if never) done that!
Stages are a lot harder to predict, since how there was an Electroplankton stage in Brawl, so anything could happen.
Though the one kind of stage I'd like would be a DK stage that isn't just another jungle level. Like a factory stage or something.

qq more

*insert moe~ gif here

Stages are a lot harder to predict, since how there was an Electroplankton stage in Brawl, so anything could happen.

Yeah, very true that stages are really hard to predict. I just like to hear ideas people here have for them. I rarely hear that kind of discussion.

Though the one kind of stage I'd like would be a DK stage that isn't just another jungle level. Like a factory stage or something.
Either that or one of those stages with silhouettes. Would be very interesting!

Heropon

Talking about stages, I'd like to see the Gaur Plains from Xenoblade. Seeing the day-night cycle while hearing one of the soundtrack's masterpieces.

You know what series deserves a stage?

Rhythm Heaven.

It could be called "Remix," and be similar in style to both the Remix stages in the games and the WarioWare Inc. stage in Brawl. The stage could be ever-shifting, with the background and hazards changing to reflect the minigame being played in the background. Of course, the music would also be awesome (although limited in variety as it would have to match the background in order to preserve the sense of immersion), and it would make a great home turf for Karate Joe or the Wrestler :)

Heropon

Now that I think about it, one stage that I'm almost sure is going to be in this game is Wuhu Island. It represents the Wii___ games and others like Pilotwings Resort, and it's as important to Nintendo as some of their characters.

Snakey

I am really hoping Sakurai addresses whether he will be doing cuts this time early on, like he did with Brawl. I am also hoping the topic of whether some of the Fallen Five will be brought back comes up as well.

Seriously now.

You're wearing a creepy muscle fetish furry avatar of a Star Fox character.

And you're arguing that it doesn't appeal to furries.

Seriously now.
How about this; if he can get his buff shirtless wolf in the game, you can have Candy Kong.

1025.jpg

Keep in mind you don't have a say in which version
but both designs are equally terrible and horrifying so

Vidiot

I don't know how all of you can talk about so many character cuts like its no big deal. It would seriously kill my excitement if they went cut happy.

I don't know how all of you can talk about so many character cuts like its no big deal. It would seriously kill my excitement if they went cut happy.

It's all because of that last quote from Sakurai.

Assuming it's legit (haven't read this from ANY other source than the guy with the Scarfy Ava so yeah ...) it seems like he think's the current roster size is big enough ... and if that's the case then there's gonna have to be cuts to bring in new characters.

Vidiot

And if that's the case the next Smash will be a disappointment IMO. No amount of extra filler crap will make up for a roster the same size as the previous game to me.

cednym

Banned
If Sakurai cuts characters, Ike and Lucario will be the first to go. There's no doubt in my mind about that. Sure, Lucario's still regularly promoted, but his position as the latest generation's mascot has effectively been taken up by Zoroark. Similarly, Krom is the new Ike.

Assuming it's legit (haven't read this from ANY other source than the guy with the Scarfy Ava so yeah ...) it seems like he think's the current roster size is big enough ... and if that's the case then there's gonna have to be cuts to bring in new characters.

I am the dude with the "Scarfy" avatar, and I assure you my source is legit. Ask anyone who's received the newest issue of Nintendo Power; it's Sakurai's answer to the last question asked in the interview with him.

I haven't been following the thread. What did the quote say?

Yeah, very true that stages are really hard to predict. I just like to hear ideas people here have for them. I rarely hear that kind of discussion.

Either that or one of those stages with silhouettes. Would be very interesting!

I think the silhouette thing would be great, but I doubt it would happen. It would be to hard to see who's who if you pick as the same character.

I haven't been following the thread. What did the quote say?

Nintendo Power: With so much content packed into the previous Smash Bros. games, what difficulties do you encounter when creating a new one?

Sakurai: It isn't a matter of "if the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough." There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance, and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and make them feel distinctive... In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction might be what's needed.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

The article already killed my hype, unfortunately. I am not interesting if they decide to cut half characters and replace it with new characters. I prefer expansion, rather than "reboot" roster.

Snakey

The article already killed my hype, unfortunately. I am not interesting if they decide to cut half characters and replace it with new characters. I prefer expansion, rather than "reboot" roster.

Ditto. I really hope Sakurai is not going for a reboot. I don't mind if Sakurai only adds 10 characters to Smash 4 (I do agree with Sakurai that the well is running dry) that were not in Brawl, however, if he turns out to be "axe-happy" for Smash 4, then I that will massively deflate my interest for this game.

KevinCow

Banned
I think the silhouette thing would be great, but I doubt it would happen. It would be to hard to see who's who if you pick as the same character.

Just make the colored part a different color for each character.

Two players choose Donkey Kong, one gets a red tie, the other gets a blue tie.

Every character has a different part that's colored - Link's hat, Mario's hat, Kirby's shoes, Pikachu's cheeks, Samus's visor.

Plus you'll have the big arrow with your name above your character's head.

Sakurai: "I could add 50 characters, but that's just not en-"

Yes it is! Yes it is!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom