• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming that character balance, cuts and less new character additions are a likely occurrence for SSB4 I really feel that Pokemon Trainer could get cut if anything, that's like time spent on three pokemon characters put towards something else.
And yes I like Pokemon Trainer.

GamerSoul

Revert her back to her powerhouse Smash 64 version, make her Pound aimable and have longer reach, and make her jumps higher :D

Noooo. What they did to her Brawl was fine, IMO. I personally can't stand playing with her, she could use a few new moves. She has become pretty stale as a character which may be the case for multiple characters but ehh, we'll see.

Sakurai has been talking about how he couldn't add many new characters and how the game was already at its limit ever since Brawl was announced. I remember one of his interviews back then talking about how they barely reached 26 characters in Melee and it'd be hard to top that. This is nothing new. He always talks like that regarding the character line up.

It's quite interesting though how he keeps mentioning the 50 characters number this time, even if it's just as something he doesn't want to do...

Yea I'm starting to think Sakurai might just be a humble guy. He'll end up surprising himself by the end of his game just like the others. His expectations now should be dwarfed by the end product. Definitely a possibility.

Vidiot

Honestly if they don't add a decent amount of new characters without making cuts I can't see myself being very happy with the game. All the extra crap in Brawl was nice but at the end of the day I'm playing the game to fight iconic characters in iconic locations. I think there would be a pretty big backlash if we don't see a decent amount of new comers.

nullset2

I just have something to say about what I want for the next Smash now:

Please
no
godawful
story
mode
this time around

Really. Tabuu was the only good thing to come out of it. The cg was cool and all, but the story, or whatever story they wanted to tell, was pretty much nonsensical, and original designs for SSE were more strange and forgettable than worthwhile. And the only mechanic exclusive to SSE (stickers) felt like an afterthought and not truely relevant to play.

Besides, that's not what ssb is about. Everyone forgot about stats and the story levels in a week, and everything felt like a weird Kirby game anyway, platforming felt unnatural and easy, and enemies were pushovers on coop. And then, their worst sin of all: focus on developing the story mode stole focus and dev time from the other sweet extra modes we get on smash. Events were less intense and exciting on brawl than in melee, and let's not forget how criminal it was to get 5 target smash levels instead of a lot of levels tailored to each.character's abilities, which pretty much extracted the soul from the whole target mode.

Please don't do that again.

KevinCow

Banned
There could easily be an amazing story mode in Smash, especially after what Sakurai did with Kid Icarus. And honestly, I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually enjoyed Subspace Emissary. I enjoyed it the first time I played it, and the time I played up to the maze on Intense with my friend is one of my favorite gaming memories.

...But really, as has been said many times before, it's something that you'll play once when the game comes out and then never touch again. I'd rather all that time and effort go into making the multiplayer better, since that's the part that I'll be playing for the next 5 years.

I'd just kind of like Adventure Mode to come back. That was actually cool, playing through stages based off of the actual Nintendo games, all the while being a fairly short and sweet enough experience to warrant playing through it 25 friggin' times. Subspace Emissary, on the other hand, was all generic caves, towns, castles, deserts, forests et al, with the Halberd being the sole level actually based on a Nintendo franchise. Seemed like a waste!

Tyeforce

I still can't understand why so many people hate Jigglypuff and want to see her go.
I don't really want to see her go, she's a unique character and I'd agree that she's quite fun to play as. But I don't feel that she should be represented in the main character roster. Generation I is already overrepresented in Smash Bros., and Jigglypuff's presence may be holding back other Pokémon newcomers. They can't just have a ton of Pokémon characters, so if they want to add new Pokémon characters they're going to have to make cuts to the main roster. Although I believe Jigglypuff should be cut from the main roster, I would definitely like to see her brought back as DLC. I think DLC is the perfect way to bring back cut characters who don't really deserve a spot in the main roster anymore. Cut stages could be brought back the same way.

Well, I don't give a fuck about new Pokemon characters. I just want to keep Jigglypuff around cause she's badass, and Mewtwo back, cause he's badass. Otherwise, I couldn't care less.

Gravijah

Well, I don't give a fuck about new Pokemon characters. I just want to keep Jigglypuff around cause she's badass, and Mewtwo back, cause he's badass. Otherwise, I couldn't care less.

mewtwo is lame. i want jigglypuff to stay, but i'd rather new pokemon over mewtwo.

Tyeforce

Would just ditch Pokemon trainer system for a ditto

Make it turn into jiggy/lucario/mewtwo like trainer system worked

All 3 are nolonger main mascots, Atleast would allow them to live on
I would argue that Lucario is still one of the main mascots of Pokémon. He's always being heavily promoted in spin-off games and main series games alike (they're really pushing him for Black 2 and White 2 now), and he's one of the more popular choices of Pokémon to be given away through event distributions and such. I believe he's also pretty prominent in the Trading Card Game, and was heavily featured in the anime, having his own movie and a few episodes revolving around him. He's probably the most popular non-legendary, non-starter Pokémon aside from Pikachu (and maybe Meowth).

Mewtwo is also still pretty relevant, especially considering the fact that he's kinda had a resurgence in popularity recently. I wouldn't really call him a main mascot anymore, but he's probably still the most deserving legendary Pokémon to be in Smash (of the ones that could actually work well as fighters, that is).

GamerSoul

They should do a story mode where Hades is the big bad.

Hmmm. Could work he definitely has the status. What do you guys think would be the best All Star Villain Roster for Smash that could play a role in a theoretical story mode?

I'd say:

Ridley
Ganondorf
Hades
Bowser

...and maybe Capt. Syrup in a lesser role because she just can't hang with that group.

jigglypuff is a lifer. i don't ever see her being cut.

Which proves my point that Smash can easily make irrelevant characters have meaning through the smash itself. :) I'll stop now. But it's a good thing.

Tyeforce

jigglypuff is a lifer. i don't ever see her being cut.
But being cut from the main roster and being added in later as DLC really isn't being "cut" in the end, is it? It's a win-win situation, really. Pokémon doesn't become overrepresented in the main roster, but Jigglypuff can still exist for those who like to play as her via DLC.

Galang

Banned
Regardless of if the first generation is people's favorite, it has wayyyy too much representation versus the other generations. I rather see each generation get some sort of significant representation. There's already six pokemon in Brawl, I think it would be fair to have one significant representation from each generation.

Heropon

But being cut from the main roster and being added in later as DLC really isn't being "cut" in the end, is it? It's a win-win situation, really. Pokémon doesn't become overrepresented in the main roster, but Jigglypuff can still exist for those who like to play as her via DLC.

Only if the DLC is free, and I don't think it would be.

Gravijah

Regardless of if the first generation is people's favorite, it has wayyyy too much representation versus the other generations. I rather see each generation get some sort of significant representation. There's already six pokemon in Brawl, I think it would be fair to have one significant representation from each generation.

yeah, that's part of why i want pokemon trainer re-tooled. jigglypuff, pikachu, lucario, pokemon trainer who uses a mixture of gen 3, 2 & 5 pokemon.

if gen vi is out before smash, then of course we need someone from that.

Hmmm. Could work he definitely has the status. What do you guys think would be the best All Star Villain Roster for Smash that could play a role in a theoretical story mode?

I'd say:

Ridley
Ganondorf
Hades
Bowser

...and maybe Capt. Syrup in a lesser role because she just can't hang with that group.

Ridley, Ganondorf, Medusa, Bowser, Black Shadow, Eggman, Saturos and Menardi. :>

I'd say:

Ridley
Ganondorf
Hades
Bowser

Nah, I think that Hades would either work alone or be the one pulling all of the strings behind the scenes. He's just way too cool to associate with lesser villains :p

To add to the list, I'd like:

Vaati
Fawful
King K. Rool and
Galacta Knight

Now THAT would be awesome.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only for Sakurai's favorite characters.
That would explain Wario's unique theme and multiple costumes.

I've been asking the same question earlier... I really would like to know what they had in mind for certain characters (a lot are obvious). For instance, maybe Peach would've gotten a reference to her DS game? Or the Castle theme from Mario 64? Who knows! :O

Well victory themes are easy to come up with even if the character doesn't have an obvious victory them. Just take the first few notes of a well known song from their series and emphasise the last note.

Actually it is rather odd that some character who do have victory theme in their own games end up using another song for their victory theme.

But cutting Jigglypuff, at this point, is like cutting Captain Falcon, Fox, or Luigi. They're staples in the series, they've been along with the original 12 and are part of Smash more than anything else.

That would explain Wario's unique theme and multiple costumes.

Wario's victory jingle actually was taken from the then upcoming Wario Land Shake It.

Alrix

But cutting Jigglypuff, at this point, is like cutting Captain Falcon, Fox, or Luigi. They're staples in the series, they've been along with the original 12 and are part of Smash more than anything else.

Wario's victory jingle actually was taken from the then upcoming Wario Land Shake It.

If they're taking a serious ax to existing characters to make room for newcomers, Jiggypuff imo should be one of the first to go. It's nowhere near as important as the other three you named. Falcon is the sole F-Zero rep, Fox is the main character of his own huge series, and Luigi is freakin Luigi. Those guys are safe. Jigglypuff, though, was never a really serious character and is not really important to Pokemon anymore anyway. Gen 1 is over-represented as it is, with Pikachu/Pokemon Trainer/Jigglypuff. I think it would be pretty cool if they replaced Jigglypuff with a pokemon from gen 2 or 3, and then make room for the gen 5 rep by either adding a 5th pokemon to the roster or cutting Lucario. But Lucario should get priority over Jiggly and Pokemon Trainer. Pikachu, Gen 2/3, Lucario, Gen 5. That's a nice little spread.

again this all depends on how serious sakurai is about this whole "trimming the fat" thing.

Heropon

I hope Sakurai clarifies what he meant, the idea of characters being cut is so sad.

He can cut Ganondorf and Bowser.

MisterHero

Lol Ditto, the secret Smash Bros. character

he was selectable in Melee's tourney mode, I never checked for Brawl though

Snakey

My main worry going into Smash 4 will be about characters that have already been in Smash Bros. I obviously want Mewtwo and Roy to return. However, from Sakurai's statements about Brawl hitting the limit in terms of what's feasible, I do have a worry that Sakurai will go become "axe happy" with Smash 4. Some of the newcomer characters for Brawl that I really liked/wanted to be included such as Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, Pit, and Olimar are safe. However, Brawl characters that I liked that I am worried about are Pokemon Trainer (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), Sonic, Wolf, ROB, and Lucas. I am also worried about possibly Jigglypuff and Falco being cut. Overall, I will be very different than most Smash Bros. fans going into Smash 4 (assuming Ridley and Mega Man are among the first characters announced). Unlike most Smash Bros. fans that are active with speculation, most of my character concerns will be with characters returning.

Overall, Brawl's roster was only a few characters away from being "perfect" to me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sakurai's answer scared me. If they removed more than 5-10% characters from brawl, then I wouldn't be happy. I know he can add 30ish characters back and add about 10-12 characters then I will be constant.

Yeah, I may sound like spoiled but I don't like to see some characters being gone such as pokemon trainer, jigglypuff, etc.

My body is definitely not ready.

KevinCow

Banned
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Snake
Sonic
Falco
Wolf
Lucario
Toon Link
ROB
Lucas

Those are really the only characters they could even consider removing. Everyone else is pretty much necessary. And even then, the only ones I wouldn't be at least a little upset at are Falco, Wolf, and Toon Link.

I think ROB and Toon Link (as representation of the Young Link-subseries) are the least likely to get the axe from those.

ROB, just like GaW and the Mii, are basically mascots/representations of both systems and important history of Nintendo.

Snakey

The only ones being cut that I would be the least upset about would be Snake, Ike, and Lucario. I would not be upset with Zero Suit Samus being cut at all, though I think she is completely safe due to being attached to Samus. Toon Link might be another one, though it depends on what design for Link they use in Zelda 3DS (since Toon Link is simply the most contemporary version of "child Link" and Zelda 3DS might introduce a new design for this arch-type).

I would be very upset if Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), Falco, Wolf, Lucas, and ROB were cut though. I would also not like to see Sonic go, but I would understand if he went since he is technically a guest within the Smash Bros. series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why cut Wolf? Why not cut Falco instead? Wolf's a much more fresh character vs. "a feathery Fox with occasional new attacks".

Snakey

why are we even discussing character cuts nobody in Brawl was as remotely dumb an addition as Dr. Mario or Young Link

I personally rather not see anyone from Brawl cut, and even Dr. Mario and Pichu brought back. Dr. Mario I think is more deserving of a playable spot in Smash Bros. than the likes of Waluigi and Geno. Dr. Mario was designed by Gunpei Yokoi, and is one of Nintendo's most prominent puzzle series. I think there should be at least one character to represent Nintendo's two biggest puzzle series (Dr. Mario and Panel de Pon), however, I don't see Lip happening. I think the obstacle for Lip's inclusion is not so much her Japan-only status but the fact that she has wardrobe issues (her skirt).

Alrix

Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Snake
Sonic
Falco
Wolf
Lucario
Toon Link
ROB
Lucas

Those are really the only characters they could even consider removing. Everyone else is pretty much necessary. And even then, the only ones I wouldn't be at least a little upset at are Falco, Wolf, and Toon Link.
Snake and sonic are safe, after what people said about kojima and sakurai being friends snake should be alright, plus after how bad fans wanted sonic in the first place I don't see him getting removed. Also I think it was in this thread that I read something about sakurai saying it was important that both versions of zelda are represented so toon link (or whatever form link takes in the original 3ds zelda) is also safe. I'd cut falco or wolf but not both. Other than that I think you have a solid list of potential ax candidates. I'd add jigglypuff, ganondorf (only to be replaced by ghirahim, but not if he's in zelda 3ds) and peach. could see any of them being replaced depending on how crazy sakurai gets with the cuts

Why cut Wolf? Why not cut Falco instead? Wolf's a much more fresh character vs. "a feathery Fox with occasional new attacks".

I think Falco is safe since he's a two time veteran now. Anything can still happen of course, but I doubt either of them would get cut. Wolf is a villain after all.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People still arguing about Jigglypuff, a character who still is relevant up to now and is still a popular Pokemon character, to be removed from the game?

:laughing greymon.gif

Because they're both terrible and Star Fox sucks.

Cut Fox too.

:damemon laugh face.jpg

leroidys

Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Snake
Sonic
Falco
Wolf
Lucario
Toon Link
ROB
Lucas

imma cut sakurai if he cuts toon link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom