• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know what I want them to cut?

The Nintendog. God damn that is one annoying item.

Or at least give us an assist trophy/pokemon switch.

GamerSoul

If anything 64 is the one that's too slow and Brawl is just right, but melee is fast enough it makes Brawl seem slow.

Yea when I think about it, Brawl isn't really that slow. It's the other effects that makes it feel slower. The characters are more floaty making the game feel slower since you will likely be in the air alot longer and even the attack sounds are not as sharp and hard hitting as melee's or 64's.

Nintendog would be a great WTF character.

:l
No sir....no. Sakurai even thought a Animal Crossing character was too passive for Smash. And it wouldn't look good if a realistic dog was getting the kibbles beat out of him.

Latias and Latios would be off so damn fast, seriously they pop out of like 25% of pokeballs and are pretty overpowered.

KevinCow

Banned

Man. Assist trophies and Pokeballs both really sucked in Brawl. Way too many that are annoying or just straight up overpowered.

Melee and 64 were a ton of fun to throw Pokeballs on high and screw around. They made things exciting without making you feel totally screwed over if you weren't the one to get it.

In Brawl, assists and Pokemon seem to come in three varieties: Useless like Starfy, annoying to everyone like Nintendog and Devil, or stupidly overpowered like Lyn or Kat & Ana.

GamerSoul

Very true about the pokeballs and ATs, they weren't really all that ...fun. The ATs were like "hey look at me, bye". The size of Lil Mac and Ray MK were laughable and the list goes on.

Very true about the pokeballs and ATs, they weren't really all that ...fun. The ATs were like "hey look at me, bye". The size of Lil Mac and Ray MK were laughable and the list goes on.

Lil Mac was intentionally small since that's part of his gimmick, maybe too small. Same for Ray since it's like a toy robot.
I thought ATs were fine personally, just too many sword users

GamerSoul

Lil Mac was intentionally small since that's part of his gimmick, maybe too small. Same for Ray since it's like a toy robot.
I thought ATs were fine personally, just too many sword users

You're absolutely right, but I just thought it was sort of waste because even though these lesser characters are giving at least some representation, some weren't really noticeable, imo.

leroidys

Man. Assist trophies and Pokeballs both really sucked in Brawl. Way too many that are annoying or just straight up overpowered.

Melee and 64 were a ton of fun to throw Pokeballs on high and screw around. They made things exciting without making you feel totally screwed over if you weren't the one to get it.

In Brawl, assists and Pokemon seem to come in three varieties: Useless like Starfy, annoying to everyone like Nintendog and Devil, or stupidly overpowered like Lyn or Kat & Ana.

What? Snorlax and beedrill destroyed everyone.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Somebody please allay my fears.

Sakurai said that for the next SSB, he'd like to be able to exchange data between the 3DS and Wii games. Does this mean that the Wii-U version will have to be scaled down immensely to accomodate for the 3DS version?

Sakurai said that for the next SSB, he'd like to be able to exchange data between the 3DS and Wii games. Does this mean that the Wii-U version will have to be scaled down immensely to accomodate for the 3DS version?

The 64 and GBC Mario Golfs could exchange data, but they were not ports of each other.

Dude, 3DS game cards fan hold like, 8 GB. That's more than enoughto fit a game the size of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

SmithnCo

I don't see how the graphics would be effected by data transfer, they could be fairly different if the devs wanted them to be.

Oblivion

I don't see how the graphics would be effected by data transfer, they could be fairly different if the devs wanted them to be.

I'd hope not.

I want my next gen. SSB to utilize all the new fangled gizmos inside the Wii-U, dang it!

GamerSoul

I didn't make it clear, but I was mainly questioning the graphics side.

We have nothing to worry about, both should be great and independent of each other. It's the least of our worries, imo. Even Melee's graphics still hold up a decade later. The only problem I can see is that it could increase development time to create two games but his team does have extended experience with the 3DS because of KI.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A game like Smash Bros will probably look really good on 3DS. Sakurai's team pulled off some nice visuals in KI and that has large set pieces. Shaders are magical.

I kind of hope that each experience is unique enough for warrant both purchases.

Galang

Banned
^ I hope for this as well. No idea what to expect at this point, but I will gladly purchase both if they are different enough.

A possible brief mention by Iwata that SSB is a game that will one day exist for the Wii U and 3DS because Sakurai was successfully forced into it at least years show.

And even that's unlikely.

I agree that Pokeballs weren't as good as they were in Brawl but are you remembering Melee and 64 correctly. Melee and 64 most of the Pokemon were significantly overpowered and caused major damage. In Melee/64 when a Pokeball appeared everyone would make a mad dash towards it because it would cause major damage. In Brawl, it didnt matter nearly as much. A lot of them were just annoying and useless and Brawl had a lot bigger stages so it was easier to avoid pokemon.

Kjellson

I'm gonna be optimistic here and predict a trailer at E3.

And when that happens I'm going to quote this post and say "I told you so!".

NeonZ

A possible brief mention by Iwata that SSB is a game that will one day exist for the Wii U and 3DS because Sakurai was successfully forced into it at least years show.

And even that's unlikely.

If Nintendo really does that, they've really misread their fanbase. Yeah, NSMB Wii might have sold more than Brawl, but Smash Bros at this point seems to be the game with the biggest appeal to their fanbase that would follow a presentation like this - no other game would really compare.

They managed to make the Brawl teaser a few months into development, so I hope they at least have something similar here.

If Nintendo really does that, they've really misread their fanbase. Yeah, NSMB Wii might have sold more than Brawl, but Smash Bros at this point seems to be the game with the biggest appeal to their fanbase that would follow a presentation like this - no other game would really compare.

They managed to make the Brawl teaser a few months into development, so I hope they at least have something similar here.

I'm just forcing my expectations rock bottom, i'd be satisfied with a silhouette teaser image.

nns3d

I'd love to get a trailer, but chances are they're just gonna briefly mention that a new Smash Bros. title is being worked on.

GamerSoul

So... E3, what'll we get? :O

A mention of the game by Sakurai during the conference and probably a couple of interviews with Sakurai by many different sites. I'm not sure if he'll confirm anything at this point but I would love to hear some people asks him straight to the point questions for once.

I'd like to know:
-How far are they into the development process, what are they working on first
-How will this game be different from the other smashes
-Are they cutting an characters
-how many new characters are they planning
-How will the two versions differentiate

Oblivion

You guys think we'll actually get ANYTHING at E3? Sakurai said that they're probably 2 months into development (if even that far), so I seriously doubt we'll get shit.

You guys think we'll actually get ANYTHING at E3? Sakurai said that they're probably 2 months into development (if even that far), so I seriously doubt we'll get shit.

I'd guess they'll throw up a slide with a couple of character model renders or some concept art. Maybe unveil the first newcomer. This will be at the developer roundtable, not at the press conference.

Awesome: (CG) Trailer (at press conference especially)
Great: Some big info, like a newcomer or two, and maybe concept art
Neat: Some general info, like the difference between the 2 versions
Realistic: Sakurai gives the vague answers to questions he has been giving since Brawl's release. (laughs)

GamerSoul

I'd guess they'll throw up a slide with a couple of character model renders or some concept art. Maybe unveil the first newcomer. This will be at the developer roundtable, not at the press conference.

Yep, thats what ive been thinking of other than the intetviews he might take. And how about that wiiu pro controller? I guess we'll have a standard controller to work with afterall.

Ithil

At the very least, Nintendo have known the game wouldn't be far enough into development to show off playable footage for, since last year, when KI was delayed to the Spring.

Bearing that in mind, they may have looked at putting a CG trailer together in time for E3 instead? You don't even need to show an approximation of gameplay, just some characters with a newcomer or two.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1% more excited about Wii U Smash now that you can play it with a controller heavily derivative of the best controller ever.

Or hopefully/presumably.

NeonZ

If you're expecting anything more than that, you're misreading Nintendo. Hell, I'll be shocked if they've even come up with a NAME for it yet.

That would just be incompetence... They don't really have any comparable franchise at this point. Well, they have, actual Mario titles - but I don't think it'd be a good idea to only push those for the WiiU when they're also resorting to them heavily in the 3DS lately. I mean, we just got Mario Kart and 3d Land and there's another 2d game coming... They'll have yet another 2d Mario for the Wii U at the same time already, but they really should stop there for now.

SykoTech

Man, you guys are killing my hype. They already pulled the "blank title that confirms the platforms and nothing else" announcement last year.

If it's not a repeat of the awesome 2006 trailer, I'm hoping to at least get a decent teaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom