• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
Banana Iwata needs to be an alt costume for Diddy or Donkey Kong.

sbwfG.png

Has there been an explanation about this yet? It's hilarious but it doesn't make sense.

Actually, I think Nintendo can sustain the Wii-U even if the console on its own flops; the strong lineup they have and the fact they successfully tap into non-gamers and casual gamers actually will help the Wii-U to flow despite the odds.

Hell they even managed to save the 3DS, lol.

Has there been an explanation about this yet? It's hilarious but it doesn't make sense.

It was in the Iwata-showcase of the announced Wii U titles - not part of the official press conference, but it was shown directly after. I think it's simply a reference to Donkey Kong because the thing that has been shown before that was the Donkey Kong-minigame of Nintendo Land. But it's just so fucking weird. He's just standing there, staring at those bananas for like 10 seconds, then puts them down and continues talking about the game like nothing happened at all.

Kokonoe

Banned
It was in the Iwata-showcase of the announced Wii U titles - not part of the official press conference, but it was shown directly after. I think it's simply a reference to Donkey Kong because the thing that has been shown before that was the Donkey Kong-minigame of Nintendo Land. But it's just so fucking weird. He's just standing there, staring at those bananas for like 10 seconds, then puts them down and continues talking about the game like nothing happened at all.

Yeah, I saw it live. Maybe it's Japanese humor.

Yeah, I saw it live. Maybe it's Japanese humor.

Japanese business humor, I guess.

Granted, Nintendo had the best humor out of all the 5 big guys from what I saw (though I missed the Sony conference, I'll be watching that some time else). It has Miyamoto being silly with the Pikmin doll, Reggie's puppeteer body being ready for French food, and Banana Iwata. It was glorious.

Well I guess it's time to pack my bags. I've been beaten in the pessimistic department.

You have no business being pessimistic anymore, now go and spurt out all the wet dreams of your favorite features and characters that had been withheld by your negative-aimed realism, and get hyped for the CG trailer and 20 minutes of gameplay we'll see tomorrow at the 3DS conference.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
What if Nintendo pulls an Avengers, and incorporate hints towards Smash Brothers 4's story mode in each of their games from now on? Not cannibalizing the main story of those games, but having extra, "post-game" content or side-quests that all end up connecting?

What if Sakurai has already begun this...with the Auron in Kid Icarus Uprising? :0

I don't think they'll trade the by-now-traditional Super Mushroom for a Mario hat and such. And I agree with Starphoenix; if any of those icons is used, it probably would be the ninja star for Takamaru and any other icon representing a series that has no in-game representation yet (and I don't think those series will be represented as an "own" series in Smash, but who knows).

'sides, the Zelda, Pikmin and Animal Crossing icons (and to a lesser extent the Yoshi one) are still the same. :I

But I do hope that the Blue Falcon there, and the F-Zero minigame tied to it, mean that Nintendo hasn't forgotten us F-Zero fans, and has something in store for us.

Awesome! I'm surprised there's no kirby or pokemon. Aren't those Nintendo's top selling franchises along with Mario? Nevertheless, I'm really pleased with the franchises they chose to use.

If you look at any non-Smash crossover games, cameos, etc., Pokemon never makes an appearance. Nintendo owns only like a third of Game Freaks, while HAL etc. is a direct daughter of them. So, like you, I am surprised at the lack of Kirby, but not at the lack of Pokemanz.

Though, if Sakurai gives every character their own logo, Luigi might get the ghost face.

cednym

Banned
I cut some characters from my roster after reading that Sakurai interview.

3RS3y.png

Ike, Lucario, and the guest characters are gone. There are 43 in total including transformations.

I dunno, with only eight new characters it seems kind of silly to include a second version of an established character that isn't a clone or transformation. Balloon Fighter I don't see as likely at all considering he was written off by Sakurai way back in the Melee days (though he could have changed his mind since, there's nothing to really indicate that he has). Miis, Krom, and Zoroark just don't excite me at all (Miis bordering pretty close on anti-excitement). I'd be pretty disappointed if that was the final roster--too many cuts, too few newcomers, and what newcomers are there are mostly unexciting or incredibly safe (or both).

cednym

Banned
Which potential newcomers would you consider "exciting" or "unsafe," then? Previous new characters fitting those descriptions were also important and/or historically relevant, but there aren't any of those left. Throwing somebody into the game just because they're unexpected isn't Sakurai's style. Even Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. meant something to Nintendo.

I'm predicting some form of touch screen drawing program integrated into the level editor for both the Wii U and 3DS versions. Also, maybe allowing your stickers to be used to decorate stages.

GamerSoul

Which potential newcomers would you consider "exciting" or "unsafe," then? Previous new characters fitting those descriptions were also important and/or historically relevant, but there aren't any of those left. Throwing somebody into the game just because they're unexpected isn't Sakurai's style. Even Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. meant something to Nintendo.

That's a good but tough question. One problem: we will probably have a lot of different opinions on who would be surprising and unsafe at this point even with some sense of logic. The other problem is that those historical/important characters are from a limited pool that we have already explored so their surprise factor isn't has strong as they should be. I think Ridley will still be a very big surprise when/if he is revealed though.

Miyamoto's new IP will probably be a nice surprise and it will likely be the only new IP Nintendo has up to Smash's release >.>. I also find no problem in Sakurai finding older interesting characters that might not be relevant right now to put in Smash because the game could probably bring them back to relevancy. And with Nintendo's constant Mario milking I'd like to see more characters have a chance to shine again.

cednym

Banned
Olimar definitely isn't going anywhere (he'll appear in Pikmin 3 in some capacity), but I think it's worth mentioning that Pikmin 3 has a new cast of characters.

Pikmin_3_characters.png

"A" is the main protagonist. I'm guessing he might be Olimar's son or something, with Olimar having become the new president. I don't think Pikmin needs two playable characters, but "A" might be a fun Olimar semi-clone with the addition of Rock Pikmin, Pink Pikmin, and whatever else the new game might bring.

leroidys

I'm feeling more and more like Takamaru is a lock. Beyond that I would HOPE that they finally put an Animal Crossing rep in, but somehow I am not at all sure that they will.

GamerSoul

I'm feeling more and more like Takamaru is a lock.

Yea, they are referencing him a lot now so he must be on Nintendo's mind. I think people would love to see a character like that in Smash. I wouldn't be surprised if he was instantly popular in the game with his Katana.

I definitely think Olimar will get new pikmin types if nothing else.

True, I don't think we really need another Olimar type character being cheap and stuff.

Tyeforce

3RS3y.png

Ike, Lucario, and the guest characters are gone. There are 43 in total including transformations.
What exactly made you cut Ike, Lucario, and the guest characters? Just curious, what did Sakurai say to make you think guest characters won't be returning?

Possibly an Assist Trophy, but definitely not a playable character.

On the contrary, I reckon they've got a pretty good chance of being playable. It's a launch title, and Sakurai and Kamiya are friends. The moveset writes itself, too...

B- Fist Punch
Side B- Sword Swipe
Up B- Ladder
Down B- Gelatine

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
RE: modifying final smashes

Change the "state" final smashes (e.g. Wario Man, Giga Bowser, Landmaster, etc.), and make them only deal damage with some knockback.

There, I made FSes better.

cednym

Banned
On the contrary, I reckon they've got a pretty good chance of being playable. It's a launch title, and Sakurai and Kamiya are friends. The moveset writes itself, too...

B- Fist Punch
Side B- Sword Swipe
Up B- Ladder
Down B- Gelatine

I get that most of us here really like Platinum Games, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking that a character from a one-off second-party game is going to be made playable in Smash Bros. Project P-100 is no more important than Doshin the Giant, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, or any of the other dozens of minor Nintendo IPs without characters in Smash Bros.

3RS3y.png

If you're only taking out so few characters then I would ....
Replace Palutena, Jpuff, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter and Mii with newish/ more relevant IPs like an AW character (could work as a retro-ish series)-Shulk/ Dillon/ P-100 dude or some other brand new IP- S&P and maybe some other fan fav IP like GS/ Custom Robo .

Replace Zoroark with "6th gen Pokemon", Replace TL+Paper Mario (no need for "different version Characters" if Sakurai's limiting the roster amount to 40-ish) and Sheik with Impa, Mona/ Cap. Syrup (Wario's a huge series, I could see it getting a new character before KI actually and it's the only Mario Related series that would have room for another in this case) and lil Mac.

But that's just going off your list ...

Personally after reading that quote I think the number will be 40 at most and that there could be a massive amount of cuts.

Pretty much how I listed my picks in this post
My list of possible replacements spots goes ...

Lucario
Jpuff
Ike
Falco
Toon Link
Sheik
Lucas
ZZS
One or 2 of the Retro characters (G&W/ IC/ ROB)
The 3rd party characters (Sonic and Snake)

Replacing those characters with new characters would give us the 11-12 expected range for new-comers without beefing up the over all number.

I think those slots would be best filled with new series and unknowns for the most part. Cause why replace everyone with more characters from the same old series?

My list for replacements goes ...

6th gen Pokemon
Chrome
Captain Syrup
Impa
Ridley (that covers the additions to vet series ...)
Golden Sun Pro-Tag
Lil Mac
1 set of S&P Pro-tags (Clones or Luigied, either way it wouldn't be hard to do get both in under the same move-set. Other set could be alts)
Shulk or some other new RPG protag. Or Maybe even Miyamoto's new IP ...
AW character (Andy or Sami or someone. I could see Sami inheriting Snake's move-set.)

Other new characters and returning characters and 3rd party characters are reserved for future DLC (you KNOW there's gonna be DLC ...)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Replace Palutena, Jpuff, Takamaru, Balloon Fighter and Mii with newish/ more relevant IPs like an AW character (could work as a retro-ish series)-Shulk/ Dillon/ P-100 dude or some other brand new IP- S&P and maybe some other fan fav IP like GS/ Custom Robo .

Replace Zoroark with "6th gen Pokemon", Replace TL+Paper Mario (no need for "different version Characters" if Sakurai's limiting the roster amount to 40-ish) and Sheik with Impa, Mona/ Cap. Syrup (Wario's a huge series, I could see it getting a new character before KI actually and it's the only Mario Related series that would have room for another in this case) and lil Mac.

Personally after reading that quote I think the number will be 40 at most and that there could be a massive amount of cuts.

I'm really glad that you are not going to make the game.

Edited: Unfortunately, I have no hope for this game, so if they are going to remove a lot of characters because Sakurai simply can't handle 50 characters. I am glad that he said that early in hype machine because I would be very bitter when I found out by hard way. However, I'm not sure if I would buy SSB4 if they are going with just 40 characters. I think they have potential to hit 50/52 with a lot of people that they are hiring.

GamerSoul

Edited: Unfortunately, I have no hope for this game, so if they are going to remove a lot of characters because Sakurai simply can't handle 50 characters. I am glad that he said that early in hype machine because I would be very bitter when I found out by hard way. However, I'm not sure if I would buy SSB4 if they are going with just 40 characters. I think they have potential to hit 50/52 with a lot of people that they are hiring.

True, that should really be one of their top priorities, there's just no reason to not add more characters just because there's a belief that some characters are deemed not iconic enough. I still think there will be a good amount of new comers.

I'm still seeing at least a 48-ish max. It would be horrible to not add more characters because that is the main draw to the series. I like most of your new character ideas, I really do, but I think it would be better if you don't replace all those current characters. Palutena is basically a shoe-in since her probability is definitely higher than most characters and it's hard to believe Sakurai won't add at least one more character from his own work. Balloon fighter, Miis and Zoroak gone is fine with me since. I think Zoraok has failed to really stand out compared to Lucario. Im also unsure of P.Mario but he does have a new game so that adds to his probability. Takamaru would be a great newcomer and would re-introduce people to him and his series.

Wario also has another game on the way on their new System so he's definitely not going any where soon. It's crazy how he gets all these games compared to F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, DK, etc on Nintendo's console, including many appearances on their sports and Party games, and only gets himself as a representative .

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I checked up Project M's take on Wolf.

While I love that they made Wolf more of an aerial fighter, I dislike their take on altering some of his moves. His U Smash for instance is fine as it is, changing it was really off. Same with the reflector - it's not meant to be a knocking attack, it's a stunner, hell they removed the invincibility frames it has and reduced its hitbox. I dunno why they changed his Claw Blaster too - it's already fine with it's speed and range, why did they have to destroy it?

Tyeforce

Wait, when did Sakurai say that there would only be around 40 characters? Is there a new interview that I missed or something? I didn't see anything about a new interview in this thread (other than the one about Kid Icarus: Uprising where he said that we need to be patient with the next Smash Bros.).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wait, when did Sakurai say that there would only be around 40 characters? Is there a new interview that I missed or something? I didn't see anything about a new interview in this thread (other than the one about Kid Icarus: Uprising where he said that we need to be patient with the next Smash Bros.).

Yeah, there is one quote that made us doubt about 50 characters roster in SSB4. He acting like he can't handle 50 characters or somewhat.

GamerSoul

I think a poster said it was from a Nintendo Power interview with Sakurai. Sak was quoted saying smash has reached a feasible amount of character or something in that nature. There was something also about balancing issues that could occur ....eventhough he's getting help with balancing this time around. I think there will be more because Sakurai always ends up doing more than he first thought was possible.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As the final boss in conjunction with Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

That was a idea floating around during the run up to Brawl. Then again Smash always seems to be a few year behind when it comes to ideas (Nintendog and NSMB theme were about the only recent things in it) so perhaps now is the time for Brains of Lylat Training to make an appearance.

Aren't Miis the most relevant IP currently from Nintendo? Their big highlight for E3 was a Mii game.

Miis are like, the most important character since like ever. I can't believe there's any more important character in ANY series that isn't already in Smash Bros. Yes, that includes Ridley, though Ridley is close second. :V
And of all the Brawl characters I can think only of a handful that is actually more relevant to Nintendo than Miis are.

As a matter of fact, if "Nintendo history mascots" G&W and ROB are any indication, Miis are gonna be that slot for Smash 4, since they had such a huge impact over the course of the last 5 years, and still are pretty much everywhere.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Technically the only constants of a Mii are their face design, favourite colour, height and width, so Sakurai could theoretically give the Miis a body more suitable for fighting. He would probably ignore height and width to make hit boxes easier to manage.

They could sit in some sort of device (like a robot suit or something) in order to make the size irrelevant, or pull a MK7 and simply have all Miis have the same height/width.

Awww man, really?

Worse case would just be me making it Super Smash Pokemon, replacing all the characters with 30ish Pokemon, awesome Pokemon! (DP starters are the last bit of DLC! Those are the lamest and deserve to wait >:[ )

I'm still seeing at least a 48-ish max. It would be horrible to not add more characters because that is the main draw to the series. I like most of your new character ideas, I really do, but I think it would be better if you don't replace all those current characters. Palutena is basically a shoe-in since her probability is definitely higher than most characters and it's hard to believe Sakurai won't add at least one more character from his own work. Balloon fighter, Miis and Zoroak gone is fine with me since. I think Zoraok has failed to really stand out compared to Lucario. Im also unsure of P.Mario but he does have a new game so that adds to his probability. Takamaru would be a great newcomer and would re-introduce people to him and his series.
Before that bit of news I would have agreed. 48-50ish non-dlc characters was completely reasonable and I thought not 1 but 2 or maybe even 3 KI characters where likely.

But in the case of the roster number being restricted to brawl's level I really think other series and more needed/ a few other series deserve additions more. I could see him treating it like he treated Kirby before brawl ... even more now seeing how he is very open with the fact that he doesn't intend to make anymore KI games.

As for Paper Mario and Takamaru I just think that there are far more interesting series than Takamaru (it just seems like a fan-fav pick to me. I don't see how it's any more likely than other fan-fav series) and if Toon Link has shown us ANYTHING it's that Paper Mario would just be a Mario Clone. "But he could be so different!" So could Toon Link ... didn't happen.

Wario also has another game on the way on their new System so he's definitely not going any where soon. It's crazy how he gets all these games compared to F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, DK, etc on Nintendo's console, including many appearances on their sports and Party games, and only gets himself as a representative .
Exactly!
He has become one of Nintendo's biggest character IPs, his character's are unique, lovable and recognizable ... yet time and time again I see list that add in damn there everything BUT a 2nd character from his series. It seems easier to convince people that K. Rool deserves a spot above any Wario character.

And THAT'S why I'm really glad people here arnt making the game >_>
Aren't Miis the most relevant IP currently from Nintendo? Their big highlight for E3 was a Mii game.

Mii's arnt really an IP so much as a Avatar used in different games.
And I could see them getting in ... or Sakurai taking an AC stance on them.

Shiek has been one of the most popular characters since her inclusion in Melee, she's not going anywhere. I personally don't see Jigglypuff or ZSS as necessary to stay but Jiggs especially may get a spot just for being in Smash 64.

Also I'd like to say that more characters shouldn't be added to a series based completely on the series' popularity but rather how well the series is represented. Wario is a huge selling series but it really only has one important character. Series like Pokemon and Mario on the other hand have tons of extremely iconic and playable characters in addition to being huge sellers. There should be more focus on including characters from more low-profile series like Custom Robo, Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, etc. than adding in Jimmy from WarioWare.

I personally think that multiple incarnations of characters should be kept out, like Toon Link and Paper Mario. Though I'd accept Toon Link simply because most Zelda games coming out actually star him, Paper Mario would be a waste considering all of the other great characters in Mario RPGs. Any of the PM partners, Fawful, Mallow, even Geno would be much more interesting additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom