• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

Miis are important? Since when?

Miis are the most recognizable "characters" from the Wii generation. They're built into the Wii and 3DS and useable in a ton of games. Nintendo is pushing them hard so I wouldn't be surprised if they were in Smash 4. Especially with that Miiverse thing coming out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm feeling random today.

Barista from Rhythm Heaven. He's actually faceless in the previous two games but in the Wii it is revealed to be the dog with headphones... who is actually the dog you always see in the cafe.

B - Widget. From the "Build to Scale" games. He fires a widget which he can hold for further distance and damage (sort of like ROB's gyro move except less bullshit) but doesn't remain on the stage afterwards

Up B - Balloons. From the "Nightwalk" games. Rides on three balloons to ascend. They slowly pop until he falls down. Initiating this attack can deal damage.

Side B - Arrow. From the "Sneaky Spirits" games. Fires an arrow that passes through enemies and can push them back.

Down B - Samurai Slice. From the "Samurai Slice" games. Spins katana which deals gradual damage and reflects projectiles.

Final Smash - Lockstep. From the Lockstep game. Covers the screen with Lockstep characters. Must tap A in rhythm to deal damage and knockback.

Miis are important? Since when?

howiepoint1.gif

Technically the only constants of a Mii are their face design, favourite colour, height and width, so Sakurai could theoretically give the Miis a body more suitable for fighting. He would probably ignore height and width to make hit boxes easier to manage.
I think you need to double-check the definition of "constants", since you just listed off the only things that are variable. :p

Actually, the height/weight thing is a pretty important detail. Wouldn't the hitboxes change alongside that? If so, I could see that character being banned in tournaments on grounds of balancing issues. (Unless they only allowed you to run the absolute default Mii, or Smash just supplants your Mii's head onto a completely standardized body, using your favorite color somewhere in there for decoration.)

SmithnCo

They could have diffrent hitboxes/weights for Miis, I guess.

Smaller/skinner gives more speed but weaker attacks, and vice versa. Smaller Miis would need to be weaker if their hitbox gets smaller.

Tyeforce

I don't know why some people think Miis are unimportant and/or not worthy of being in Smash Bros. They most certainly do represent a new IP (Nintendo's Wii series), and they star in some of Nintendo's most successful games (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Tomodachi Collection, etc.). Plus they're still around, and even more so this generation with StreetPass and Miiverse and whatnot. They're in Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros., Pilotwings, Mario & Sonic, Mario Tennis...the list goes on and on.

I think they'd be fairly easy to make into fighters, too. They have a huge pool of games to draw their moves from, and they don't have to be super customizable. The simplest thing they could do would be to just give every Mii a standard body with the head of whatever Mii you choose. Or they could do it like in Mario Kart Wii and have three different sizes for Miis, depending on your Mii's height and weight.

McNum

I'd expect a Mii Plaza stage, at least. Maybe with Miiverse integration, just to get a huge crowd of Miis in the background. Have them react to the fight, cheer for the characters, basically put faces on the disembodied cheering that Smash already has. Having a bunch of Miis dive for cover when a Final Smash is unleashed would be fun.

Playable Miis? Eh, could go either way on that. Miis are fun, and most certainly a big IP for Nintendo now, and we've seen Miis fight already in Boxing and Swordplay, so it's not like Miis have to be peaceful. It's just the issue that people expect Mis to be customizable, so what do you do for balance with Miis?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only problem is that the Mii style might not fit with the Smash aesthetic. Of course they could redraw and remodel all the parts of a Mii's face to better suit the style they are going with but I don't think there's been a single case of a developer doing that.

Also costume colours would mean the favourite colour probably wouldn't apply. Maybe give them a headband.

Also costume colours would mean the favourite colour probably wouldn't apply. Maybe give them a headband.

Favorite color would be the default color, but team play would override it in favor of team colors. No alternate skins- just draws from the system's whole Mii library.

Miis won't (and shouldn't) make it in for the same reason the "main character" of Animal Crossing wasn't playable in Brawl. They're nameless, faceless avatars completely devoid of any personality or unique appearance. They aren't characters. They are literally a blank slate for you to use in the absence of real characters.

Hell, the main character of Animal Crossing is more deserving, as at least he/she is exclusive to a Nintendo franchise, and has more identifying characteristics.

I very much expect to see a stage with Miis in the background (possibly Wuhu Island), but the notion that they deserve to be playable is ridiculous.

Miis won't (and shouldn't) make it in for the same reason the "main character" of Animal Crossing wasn't playable in Brawl. They're nameless, faceless avatars completely devoid of any personality or unique appearance. They aren't characters. They are literally a blank slate for you to use in the absence of real characters.

And yet Nintendo has put them in every single multiplayer game they've had. Miis would be interesting as fighters with possibly variable stats, a huge move pool from tons of sports games, and would without a doubt represent modern Nintendo better than any other character could. Plus I'm betting even if Sakurai doesn't want to, Nintendo will force him.

Also for the record, Animal Crossing characters weren't left out because they weren't distinct enough or they were player avatars (since that would cut out G&W, Pokemon Trainer, etc.) Sakurai's specific reasoning was because the mood of the AC games was very laid back and non-aggressive, a problem which doesn't exist with Miis who would typically compete in all sorts of sports and even sword fight.

SmithnCo

Yeah, Sakurai even said he had moveset ideas for an AC character. Plus Mr. Game and Watch was pretty much nameless and faceless before Melee.

Miis could be a very unique character if their stats changed with size. Even without that, they have a ton of moves to choose from.

I don't think the "style doesn't fit" is much of a problem either. I don't get why every character has to have the same general style. I would've liked Toon Link to be cel-shaded.

So is Link.

cednym

Banned

Except that's not why the Animal Crossing character isn't playable in Brawl. Sakurai said that Animal Crossing is too peaceful to be put into a violent game. Miis don't have that problem given that they'll do anything, including boxing.

Link is the ultimate generic fantasy character. He is a heroic pretty swordsman who has no personality on his own, doesn't speak and saves the princess/world.
Heck, his name is Link because he creates a link between player and game.

Mario has very little personality as well, but it's still more than Link.

SmithnCo

And Pokemon Trainer is a nameless avatar as well. He has a distinct appearance but Miis are also instantly recognizable, regardless of what face they have.

The Pokemon aren't unique characters in their games either, which may be why they all take some inspiration from the anime.

DarkKyo

Link is the ultimate generic fantasy character. He is a heroic pretty swordsman who has no personality on his own, doesn't speak and saves the princess/world.

I guess I disagree. Did you play Skyward Sword? They gave him loads of personality due to his facial animations and reactions to the story.

Gravijah

characters in AC have ASSLOADS of personality!

they clap when you catch a fish
they get sads when a bee stings them
when you pay off a mortgage they go WOOHOO and do a happy dance

etc

But his appearance and arsenal are extremely iconic. You can translate Link to hundreds of styles and it'd still obviously be Link. With the Animal Crossing dudes.. not so much.

GamerSoul

I'm not a fan of the whole idea of having Miis in my Smash, but they should be easy to integrate into the game. They should have the same basic move-set no matter the size of the Mii. It doesn't have to be complicated. Leave the complex parts to getting Ridley to work and stuff like that.

Shiek has been one of the most popular characters since her inclusion in Melee, she's not going anywhere. I personally don't see Jigglypuff or ZSS as necessary to stay but Jiggs especially may get a spot just for being in Smash 64.

Also I'd like to say that more characters shouldn't be added to a series based completely on the series' popularity but rather how well the series is represented. Wario is a huge selling series but it really only has one important character. Series like Pokemon and Mario on the other hand have tons of extremely iconic and playable characters in addition to being huge sellers. There should be more focus on including characters from more low-profile series like Custom Robo, Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, Xenoblade, etc. than adding in Jimmy from WarioWare.

I think popularity has something to do it, I'm not going to ignore that but we're not asking them to ignore those well deserved games or to add Jimmy. We're asking them to add another potentially great character from series that has been on Nintendo's good side. Syrup and I'll say Mona (even though I prefer the former) could easily be great characters and even show people that Wario has his own history that is not totally attached to Mario. Yea you can say their roles are not that important in their respected game but once they are in Smash, like Shiek as you mentioned, they can gain new life and become a well received character.[/quote]

Before that bit of news I would have agreed. 48-50ish non-dlc characters was completely reasonable and I thought not 1 but 2 or maybe even 3 KI characters where likely.

But in the case of the roster number being restricted to brawl's level I really think other series and more needed/ a few other series deserve additions more. I could see him treating it like he treated Kirby before brawl ... even more now seeing how he is very open with the fact that he doesn't intend to make anymore KI games.

As for Paper Mario and Takamaru I just think that there are far more interesting series than Takamaru (it just seems like a fan-fav pick to me. I don't see how it's any more likely than other fan-fav series) and if Toon Link has shown us ANYTHING it's that Paper Mario would just be a Mario Clone. "But he could be so different!" So could Toon Link ... didn't happen.

Understandable. I just don't want to believe just yet on such a low roster number. AND they are definitely more interesting characters but I like Taka as a retro character returned and I don't really want P.Mario but I think he might be there when Sakurai is asking Nintendo's 1st parties for suggestions.

Exactly!
He has become one of Nintendo's biggest character IPs, his character's are unique, lovable and recognizable ... yet time and time again I see list that add in damn there everything BUT a 2nd character from his series. It seems easier to convince people that K. Rool deserves a spot above any Wario character.

And THAT'S why I'm really glad people here arnt making the game >_>

Yea same here, many believe Wario is enough, but Wario Ware/Land are very distinct series that could use another rep. Wario has his own vivid history now that doesn't lean on Mario.

Alrix

Miis can be in Smash 4, but not as playable characters, pleeeeeease.

A Mii stage/assist trophy could be cool though.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I have been thinking, since I predicted that they wouldn't reveal SSB4 @ e3, so what is safe event/date that we would see first trailer of SSB4.

More likely, we wouldn't hear anything until 2013, imo.

Jintor

I wonder if they'll do fancy stuff with their stages. I really think Battle Royale's mish-mash is a great goddamn idea. Though I don't know if it'd be swell for Nintendo.

Definitely want a toggle to turn off the damn enviro hazards though!

SmithnCo

Battle Royale lets you toggle hazards, I think it's something Smash should adopt. It would be nice to play a stage like Spear Pillar without the constant hazards.

Plus it might make upward scrolling stages passable.

Vidiot

If the roster really ends up being Brawl sized or even only slightly larger I'll ( and most likely a lot of people) be very disappointed with the game. I honestly don't care about any extra shit like RPG elements or whatever else he plans on adding to shake things up. If it doesn't deliver most of the old characters with a nice amount of new characters and the same goes for stages then the game will be a failure in my eyes.

I honestly think he's just being modest and we will see a decent bump in characters/stages though. :)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If the roster really ends up being Brawl sized or even only slightly larger I'll ( and most likely a lot of people) be very disappointed with the game. I honestly don't care about any extra shit like RPG elements or whatever else he plans on adding to shake things up. If it doesn't deliver most of the old characters with a nice amount of new characters and the same goes for stages then the game will be a failure in my eyes.

I honestly think he's just being modest and we will see a decent bump in characters/stages though. :)

Still, don't get your hope high. He usually keep his words when he said something early in the process.

Unfortunately, I would be happy if he just decided to focus on characters and stages only because he should realize that most of us would move on from single player after first month.

Seriously, I think characters should have their own target missions. Rather than generic target stages in Brawl.

I'm rather surprised they haven't done a tag team mode style of gameplay added, as a single and multiplayer deal. I think those could be fun. Granted it probably wouldn't make a huge difference for most people.

Boss Doggie

I find it weird that I like Wolf's style more than Fox. Somehow I feel like Wolf's B moveset should have been what Fox's is.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm rather surprised they haven't done a tag team mode style of gameplay added, as a single and multiplayer deal. I think those could be fun. Granted it probably wouldn't make a huge difference for most people.

I've always wanted to see a tag team style mode where, say, you play 4 stock, and you choose 4 different characters. Your first stock is character 1, then he dies and you switch to character 2, and so on.

GamerSoul

I've always wanted to see a tag team style mode where, say, you play 4 stock, and you choose 4 different characters. Your first stock is character 1, then he dies and you switch to character 2, and so on.

Ironically, SSE kinda had the concept down. I'd like to see that mode also.

I wonder if they'll do fancy stuff with their stages. I really think Battle Royale's mish-mash is a great goddamn idea. Though I don't know if it'd be swell for Nintendo.

Definitely want a toggle to turn off the damn enviro hazards though!

A toggle would definitely be a welcomed feature.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wii U-3DS Connection?

"It was last year that we talked about a new Smash Bros. that will have some interoperability, some linkage between Wii U and Nintendo 3DS," Fils-Aime said. "Obviously [Smash Bros. lead designer] Mr. Sakurai, having just finished Kid Icarus, hasn't made a ton of progress on that game, but that's going to be the one where we talk about how the two systems could work together on one game."

http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fr...-nintendo-answers-our-burning-wii-u-questions

Edited:

I think they should revamp Luigi's moveset to reflect Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. (And original one too)

SmithnCo

http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fr...-nintendo-answers-our-burning-wii-u-questions

Edited:

I think they should revamp Luigi's moveset to reflect Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. (And original one too)

Mmhm. Maybe a Luigi's Mansion 2 stage too. If Mario can have FLUDD then Luigi should use the vaccuum, especially since they are interested in continuing that series, while FLUDD hasn't been used since besides tennis and Brawl.

I bet they will replace that move. How useful was FLUDD anyway? I never thought it was too great besides maybe some crafty edge guarding stuff if you're lucky.

Boss Doggie

I just really hope they won't cut.

If they do, please don't cut Wolf. Cut Fox. Yeah, he's bland compared to Falco and Wolf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom