• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only say again what I already said once.
Kid Icarus is a game that is heavily based on Greek mythology, so actual characters in Greek mythology appearing is not very surprising, and I'm honestly appalled by people being upset about Hades being namedropped. Not even explained what his role in the story is or anything, he's just named as a character that appears.

gwahahahaha

tumblr_lfr27vQakf1qb37fc.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm really hoping this Zelda is in. Best Zelda thus far.

I like Brawl Zelda and moe Zelda. They should be both together, with Brawl Zelda being the mature but serious one and moe Zelda being the preppy, outgoing type.

NeonZ

I'm also not a personal fan of the idea of completely changing him due to the fact that I'm actually a fan of the originals and after how poorly Uprising treated what little established canon there was I'd rather they not sweep them under the rug completely.

Uprising still had one third of the game, with an almost complete narrative just based on an update of the original canon, before going on to do original things. Personally, I thought that was a good compromise between just rehashing the original and doing a full revamp as far as the story goes. There was the classic representation and update, but also actual significant additions, rather than just updating the old canon or replacing it since the start. Nintendo's other franchises these days seem to have big problems adding new relevant characters.

udivision

Did the 5 seconds that SS Zelda was in SS really leave that big of an impression or are people just embellishing the character traits cause Nintendo can't do that themselves.

Uprising still had one third of the game, with an almost complete narrative just based on an update of the original canon, before going on to do original things. Personally, I thought that was a good compromise between just rehashing the original and doing a full revamp as far as the story goes. There was the classic representation and update, but also actual additions, rather than just updating the old canon or replacing it since the start.

I'd rather not get into it in this topic, but my main problems with Uprising are pretty much entirely focused on how it treats both Medusa (made into a boring stereotype with hardly any screentime and made into a stepping stone for their new villain who's made to look good by making her look bad) and the 3 Sacred Treasures (treated as a joke that are destroyed in a cheap plot device to make their new super villain look powerful, replaced by a silly ass mech). I actually have little issue with what they added outside of that, and Hades is actually a really entertaining character; I just lament his place in canon is to literally completely replace Medusa's original function (I mean, the Hades Treasure Board is basically just a picture of all of Medusa's cronies). I just don't think that's how a 25 year revival should treat the fundamental centers of the plot to the original. It'd be like if there wasn't a Zelda game for the next twenty five years, and we finally get one made by a completely different team that plays absolutely nothing like the old ones that features the triumphant return of Ganon, who appears around three times before being killed a third of the way through the game and it is revealed that the Triforce of Power and Ganon's minions were actually being controlled by some much worse new dark lord who has way more screen time and effortlessly destroys the Master Sword when confronted by it. That more or less sums up my frustrations.

But like I said in there, I'd rather not get into it in this topic.

EDIT: This is a Smash Bros. topic after all, I think. Ostensibly anyway.

Did the 5 seconds that SS Zelda was in SS really leave that big of an impression or are people just embellishing the character traits cause Nintendo can't do that themselves.

I would think that the people who make the magazine just take the most recent incarnation of her or something.

Mit-

I really don't know what they're gonna do for Zelda. Moe Zelda would seem out of place. She never did anything action-related like OoT and Twilight Princess Zelda.

They should put Sheik from Skyward Sword in, and she transforms between tall lanky Sheik and old tree bark face Sheik.

I really don't know what they're gonna do for Zelda. Moe Zelda would seem out of place. She never did anything action-related like OoT and Twilight Princess Zelda.

It's not like her moves are based off of anything she actually did in OoT. Her moves are just the magic spells Link got in OoT and Sheik, who everything she does was made up.
Though I am curious what they'll do with Zelda and Ganondorf in this next one. Assuming they use the Skyward Sword designs and not some other new game if one comes out in time.

Azure J

Can't wait to go "who's that" and find another gaming series to enjoy if this Namco + Sora thing is true. I'm hearing Kos-Mos might be a good fit because of Monolith's previous ties to Namco, can anyone tell me what that character's like? :p

Can't wait to go "who's that" and find another gaming series to enjoy if this Namco + Sora thing is true. I'm hearing Kos-Mos might be a good fit because of Monolith's previous ties to Namco, can anyone tell me what that character's like? :p

She's a girl-robot with huge fucking guns.

Llyod Irving I betacha.

Actually, I am disappointed when I heard that Namco is working on the game with Sora; so my hype already dropped even more.

Why?
I think Tekken and Soul Calibur are pretty good fighting game series.

And Namco cares about its competitive community, so even if Nintendo doesn't give a shit, with Namco in the boat, there might be much better stuff going down regarding support.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why?
I think Tekken and Soul Calibur are pretty good fighting game series.

And Namco cares about its competitive community, so even if Nintendo doesn't give a shit, with Namco in the boat, there might be much better stuff going down regarding support.

Well, I know you may be right however I'm very skeptical with it. I DO NOT WANT THEM TO CHANGING ANYTHING THAT WHAT MAKE SMASH SPECIAL.

Picture5.png

Just dropped it here just for people who followed this thread.

I want Daisy in as the Mario Sports rep. Wearing her Strikers outfit.

That is all. You may go back to discussing the mysteries of Japan Time now.

GamerSoul

So is it okay to think the roster might be a decent size since there are more experienced developers on board? Idk I want to believe.

I am terribly late to this party, but someone actually pressed a StarTropics mention to the guy? I feel vindicated for just that much. :lol

#MikeJones4Smash4

Lucky lol. I wonder why more people don't asks him about specific characters...Mike Jones would be pretty cool.

I just wish we had a mainline Mario or Wario game that had both characters crossing paths again. Wario still seems to think of Mario as his rival judging from all his WarioWare minigames.

True. You also made me realize that Wario is not even on that list, yet Waluigi is..wtf.

Unless I've misinterpreted things nearly all of Namco's fighting game staff working on Smash 4 can only be a good thing, right? I don't care about the competitive side of things besides tripping but them being on board hopefully means the game balances the competitive side of things better and SSB4 avoids the ugly competitive vs. party gamers which was in full force during Brawl. Pac-Man also would be neat (though I still think one mascot per 3rd-party company is enough), though now a Namco rep is much more likely it'd be fun to see what ideas other people had.

The other thread discussing this news is beyond embarrassing.

Triton55

Unless I've misinterpreted things nearly all of Namco's fighting game staff working on Smash 4 can only be a good thing, right? I don't care about the competitive side of things besides tripping but them being on board hopefully means the game balances the competitive side of things better and SSB4 avoids the ugly competitive vs. party gamers which was in full force during Brawl. Pac-Man also would be neat (though I still think one mascot per 3rd-party company is enough), though now a Namco rep is much more likely it'd be fun to see what ideas other people had.

The other thread discussing this news is beyond embarrassing.

Sakurai's games all have his distinctive style even when the teams are different: Air Ride with HAL, Meteos with Q, Brawl with Game Arts/Monolith/HAL etc, Uprising with Project Sora. They've all got that similar menu design, lots of unlockable content, various modes, and unique/deceptively simple gameplay. Namco can bring their tech and fighting game skills to the table, but SSB4 will still be Sakurai's baby. What is different in this case though, is that it seems like bigger names within Namco will be involved rather than just the main dev team.

So we'll see. I think we can expect a lot of Uprising's trappings like its weapon system and power-up grid (a basic version of which we saw in SSE) along with maybe a more, using Kobayashi's word, "powerful" fighting feel. They also know about creating large rosters- Tekken 6 has 60 characters- so maybe this is Sakurai's way of overcoming the difficulty of balancing a lot of characters. I know he specifically mentioned balancing as one thing he wanted to be able to delegate to his team. I'm not too familiar with how varied and well balanced Tekken rosters are, though. But before people get too optimistic about the roster size, remember, like Sakurai says, that there are 2 versions to make and more of a focus on changing the game mechanics.

Pac-Man is a good bet, yeah. Nightmare maybe for Soul Calibur? Kind of gruesome for Smash but at least he's more fantasy-esque. I can't think of any Tekken characters that stand out as good fits.

I think the most unfair assumption people are making is that just because Bamco is co-developing means that there will be Day-1 Paid DLC and stuff like that. Nintendo's corporate policy is pretty clearly against that, and they'll be the ones making decisions about matters like that. I don't think Sakurai is the type to be all that into the idea of paid DLC at all, but it's not impossible they do it for stuff like alt costumes, clones, and stages post-launch.

Javier

Given Namco's relationship with Monolith, I say the chances of a Baten Kaitos character are pretty damn good.

For an actual Namco character, my top choice is definitely Pac-Man.

KevinCow

Banned
Stop playing with my emotions!

There's not gonna be a Baten Kaitos character. As far as Monolith characters go, Shulk and KOS-MOS are much higher possibilities. Shulk as a character who's actually owned by Nintendo, and KOS-MOS as a character Namco likes to pimp out a lot and put in crossover games.

It's best to get used to the idea now and not get your hopes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom