• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The music being unused is legit.

That's why you have Super Mario RPG idiots claiming Geno is in the game when thinking they have a song in it (when in fact it was a Zelda song). Someone uploaded a remix of a mistaken SMRPG song and they thought that was the "restructured" version of the one in the game.

Actually, there is a track in the complete music list that has a very ambiguous name; it's translating to something like "Mushroom Forest". There's been a lot of debate whether it was the SMRPG "Beware of the Forest Mushrooms", or the Mushroom Forest track from Mario Party.

Unfortunately, some idiot put together some sort of fan soundtrack which he proposed as being the actual "lost tracks", and spread the rumor that they are actually on the disc, which they obviously are not. That also includes the SMRPG theme, which is also why it is more commonly accepted that it was meant to be the SMRPG song. Personally, I think it was supposed to be the Mario Party track.

Er... there is an Arwing attached to Falco's moveset though--it's part of his entrance animation. Because to me it sounds like the game is loading a separate model attached to the character (where the called upon model for Diddy has the same value as the called upon model as Falco's Arwing used in his entrance) and referencing a texture file that is used in Diddy's moveset but not in Falco's. So essentially it's loading the Arwing because it's the equivalent attached model to Diddy's second Peanut Pistol and it's textureless because it's referencing the texture of the Peanut Popgun which is unused in Falco's moveset. That's what it sounds like to me.

What happens if you switch Fox and Diddy's? Because I know giving Fox Sonic's moveset and using the Up-B causes him to load the Arwing model (textureless, just like you mentioned) instead of a spring.

Yeah, I'm going to say that that definitely looks like it's loading the Arwing he uses in his entrance animation in place of the popguns (notice how there are two loaded arwings present), not necessarily because it was actually to be used in Falco's final smash.

I did not know that! That would seem to be the case, then. I always thought that was also why he yells "Personally I prefer the air" when using his Final Smash, basically being a reference.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Actually, there is a name in the music list that has a very ambiguous name; it's translating to something like "Mushroom Forest". There's been a lot of debate whether it was the SMRPG "Beware of the Forest Mushrooms", or the Mushroom Forest track from Mario Party.

Another possibility I've seen bouncing around is this track from M&L:partners in Time.

Another possibility I've seen bouncing around is this track from M&L:partners in Time.

Right, I knew in the back of my head that there was another Mario RPG song with a similar title, but I wasn't even entirely sure if I was correct, hence I didn't include it (mostly cause I thought it was a Paper Mario-related track, hah).

NeonZ

There is a lot of leftover information and content that just didn't make the cut - you name characters, but there's also a shitload of music that has been removed for no apparent reason (one was Ballad of the Windfish, which has been paining me the most since it's my most favorite Zelda theme from my most favorite Zelda game).
There's unused character data as well (e.g. Falco was supposed to have an Arwing as Final Smash, which can be dug up as well - although it's not functional).

I would say that character-specific victory jingles is not out of the equation at all.

But my point isn't just the existence of leftover content though. Like I said, it's a combination of the early revelation of character specific themes, partial data existing in the disc, even for scrapped characters, and only Metaknight, the one character who was mentioned by name during the reveal of the feature, keeping his theme. It just doesn't seem like it was something they left to the end of the development and then gave up to focus on more important things, it looks more like it was an early design decision that didn't stick, and they chose to keep Metaknight's just because Sakurai had already publicly said that he'd have it.

qq more

I am strangely looking forward to the unused material in SSB4. Am I the only one? I always like hearing about things that got cut.

But my point isn't just the existence of leftover content though. Like I said, it's a combination of the early revelation of character specific themes, partial data existing in the disc, even for scrapped character, and only Metaknight, the one character who was mentioned by name during the reveal, keeping his theme. It just doesn't seem like it was something they left to the end of the development and then gave up to focus on more important things, it looks more like it was an early design decisions that didn't stick, and they chose to keep MK's just because Sakurai had already publicly said that he'd have it.

We don't know exactly what is going on during development. My point could be just as correct as yours, or it's something entirely different.

However, the fact there's a TON of music that didn't get included for some unknown reason speaks more for the point that these victory jingles got removed somewhere during the development along with the other music (cause that is the last status quo we know).

It is very much possible that Meta Knight got that theme because of Sakurai's statement, but we don't know that for a fact. Just because they got removed doesn't mean they don't have a chance - Dedede was supposed to be included in Smash 64, Wario and Diddy in Melee (iirc), and by the logic you're applying, they never should've made the character list because they were scrapped during the development of the games, yet they ended up in Brawl.

Because, guess what - content that didn't make it might get picked up in the sequel. Of course, there's no guarantee that the character-specific jingles will make it, but there's no guarantee the other way around either. And, after all, this mostly a speculation thread, so we might as well speculate which victory jingles the characters could get should they receive one.

Comprende?

I am strangely looking forward to the unused material in SSB4. Am I the only one? I always like hearing about things that got cut.

I am not sure if it will be as easy to hack the data out of the discs as it was for Brawl.

qq more

I am not sure if it will be as easy to hack the data out of the discs as it was for Brawl.

Yeah, that's true considering the Wii U's disc seems to be actually pretty different this time. Hopefully by the time SSB4 comes out people have already figured out how to look at Wii U games content.

Hey that reminds me, with Wii U games being capable of holding at least 24GB of data, do you think they'll go really crazy with the music? It was so cool that Brawl had huge soundtrack so I hope SSB4 surpasses that big time! I'm expecting maybe 400 or 500 songs... how many songs did Brawl have? Around or close to 300?

EDIT: Brawl had 258 songs in My Music alone. And around 310 in total.

Hey that reminds me, with Wii U games being capable of holding at least 24GB of data, do you think they'll go really crazy with the music? It was so cool that Brawl had huge soundtrack so I hope SSB4 surpasses that big time! I'm expecting maybe 400 or 500 songs... how many songs did Brawl have? Around or close to 300?

Hmmm. I kind of doubt it. Since the Wii U is going to feature HD assets now, most of their space will likely go to that. I'm hopeful though! :)

KevinCow

Banned
how could anyone not like playing as captain falcon

that's like blasphemy

I mean I don't even like fighting as him, but when I get him on random I still enjoy falcon punching and taunting for a whole match

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, that's true considering the Wii U's disc seems to be actually pretty different this time. Hopefully by the time SSB4 comes out people have already figured out how to look at Wii U games content.

Ugh, I hope that they would keep at 250-300 music.

that's like blasphemy

I mean I don't even like fighting as him, but when I get him on random I still enjoy falcon punching and taunting for a whole match

I think it just frustrates me to play as him because I played him a lot in Melee. He is a mere shell of his former self in Brawl. :-(

If I'm just going to be randomly "punching" I prefer Ganon and his Warlock Punch. :)

Anth0ny

that's like blasphemy

he fucking sucked in brawl

I LOVED him in 64 and Melee.

KevinCow

Banned
I think it just frustrates me to play as him because I played him a lot in Melee. He is a mere shell of his former self in Brawl. :-(

If I'm just going to be randomly "punching" I prefer Ganon and his Warlock Punch. :)

but the taunts, man

the taunts

"SHOW ME YA MOVES!"
"SHOW ME YA MOVES!"
"SHOW ME YA MOVES!"
"SHOW ME YA MOVES!"

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
A shame Brawl's online was so bad that my plans to just taunt the world with Captain Falcon were shattered.

Also I'd rather have a small quantity of songs if it upped the quality of the selection. Too many ill thought non arrangements. Pictochat suffered from this a lot.

And if they make another NES medley please make it a seamless medley and not just cuts of songs stuck together.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But Pictochat had Lip's Theme! D:
Which was arranged.

I'm talking about Wii Shopping Channel music, Wii Sports theme, Wii Play's Cow game and Brain Training theme all unedited. Brain Training could have worked with a bit of mixing. Shopping Channel on the other hand was a completely lost cause.

Which was arranged.

I'm talking about Wii Shopping Channel music, Wii Sports theme, Wii Play's Cow game and Brain Training theme all unedited. Brain Training could have worked with a bit of mixing. Shopping Channel on the other hand was a completely lost cause.

Yes, but Lip's Theme makes Pictochat godlike. It's the only theme it needs. Who cares about the others?

Yes, but Lip's Theme makes Pictochat godlike. It's the only theme it needs. Who cares about the others?

Yep, had it on 100% with everything else off, though maybe sometimes i'd indulge a minor amount on Dr Mario and the made up Pictochat theme and then be disappointed when I didn't get Lip's theme.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually, other reason why they think that because of silly rumor that Geno was almost got in the game but got cut last minute.

Screw them.

Just proves how insane they are.

That's very interesting if true. I hope Falco gets the Arwing in SSB4 as final smash (and maybe even give him dual laser guns, I was disappointed he never had it in his moveset after seeing that SSE scene). No excuse to have him keep the Landmaster!

But then he'd be more broken than ever :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Replacing those waste of space songs with something better was the sole reason I installed homebrew on my Wii. I blame Green Hill Zone mostly.

Gravijah

Which was arranged.

but wii shopping music is amazing. i would have preferred a remix, but i'm happy it was in the game.

edit: shoulda had this guy come in and give us a jazz piano rendition of the shopping theme.

Zenaku

So, I was just thinking about SSB4, and I got to thinking about Namco, and their game sales.

SSBB has sold over 2 million in Japan alone, and looking at Namco's sales via Garaph show their best selling game is One Piece Musou at 790k.

I imagine there might be missing data, but with such a big gap, SSB4 could become Namco's best selling game in its entire history, as long as they don't screw it up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
but wii shopping music is amazing. i would have preferred a remix, but i'm happy it was in the game.

edit: shoulda had this guy come in and give us a jazz piano rendition of the shopping theme.
Nothing wrong with the theme itself but it didn't really suit the nature of the game. Arrangements can do wonders

So, I was just thinking about SSB4, and I got to thinking about Namco, and their game sales.

SSBB has sold over 2 million in Japan alone, and looking at Namco's sales via Garaph show their best selling game is One Piece Musou at 790k.

I imagine there might be missing data, but with such a big gap, SSB4 could become Namco's best selling game in its entire history, as long as they don't screw it up.

Like Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games for Sega? Well I guess not the best in their entire history, but certainly one of the best in recent history.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I love that they put in Star Wolf and superior Assault music, but I'd kill for a rock/metal version of Star Wolf.

Obviously Brawl's soundtrack was one of the best parts of the game, but there were still some really weird choices. For example, Theme of Samus Aran and Metroid Prime Menu/Title had some weird people talking over the intro, which doesn't fit Metroid at all. Pokemon had none of the Elite Four or Champion themes. Mother, one of the series most acclaimed for its music, had only 6 songs. I could list more, but just about every series is missing a few key and obvious choices and has some very odd underwhelming mixes.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They need to fill the disc with more Fire Emblem songs that belong to just one stage.

And if they run out of space just remove songs from other stages.

HeroR

I think some of the songs choices were suppose to be weird and different. It was made to appeal to a broad audience of fans all over the world and everyone have different musical tastes.

As for why some songs got chosen over others, it is hard to tell but maybe they didn't want to flood a bunch of music from one game and as much as I like DKC2, I can only think of a handful of songs that I would want to hear in a fighting game.

I think some of the songs choices were suppose to be weird and different. It was made to appeal to a broad audience of fans all over the world and everyone have different musical tastes.

As for why some songs got chosen over others, it is hard to tell but maybe they didn't want to flood a bunch of music from one game and as much as I like DKC2, I can only think of a handful of songs that I would want to hear in a fighting game.

I see what the intention was, I just think that it was a pointless attempt. Surely far more people would have wanted another DKC2 song or a DK64 song than a song from Barrel Blast. There could have been a way better choice from the Mario RPG games than Gritzy Desert. I know the goal is to represent as many games as possible even if they weren't particularly good, but I think it'd be a better choice to have a "best of" collection than a "history of the series" collection.

That said DLC for WiiU and 3DS could totally solve this issue! They could throw entire collections of songs ripped straight from games together for a low price, and every once in awhile offer a new orchestrated or remixed piece for a premium cost.

KevinCow

Banned
But it was the best one.

BUT THERE WAS STILL ONLY ONE

They didn't want to flood a bunch of music from one game? But they literally had two remixes of Jungle Japes - three if you count the Melee version - and two remixes of the five note original Donkey Kong theme.

DKC1 and original DK comprised all but three of the Donkey Kong songs. And one of those three was from freakin' Barrel Blast.

As for songs maybe not fitting in a fighting game:

1) They can always do arrangements.
2) Listen to the Animal Crossing song Gravijah posted
3) Stuff like the K. Rool fight, Rattle Battle, or Disco Train would fit fine even without arrangements

Alls I know is if Smash 4 comes around and we get yet another Jungle Japes remix, Sakurai's gonna get slapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom