• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Norfair mix in Brawl is a bit underwhelming. No reason for there not to be the Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns theme. Only four tracks on the Metroid stage is seriously criminal.

Come to think of it, why do they limit which songs can be for which stage too? I can understand not letting me put a Fire Emblem song on Delfino Plaza but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to put any song from any Mario stage on there.

And don't even tell me "it wouldn't fit the tone of the stage" when the damn Halberd stage has this as an option.

This especially goes for songs like the Tetris theme, Dr. Mario, Clu Clu Land, etc. which don't have a series stage to go on. I should be able to play them on any stage then.

PokéKong

I have found absolutely none of the content from non-Prime Metroids to be the least bit satisfactory or faithful. None of the stages have remotely resembled anything actually from Metroid/Super Metroid, and the remixed tracks do no justice to the originals.

I wonder why they bother sometimes. There are plenty of 8-bit songs directly ripped from games being used, why can't they use a few 16-bit ones too? I want me some Brinstar Overgrown! Enough overrated NES Metroid themes.

As long as they keep in HIS WORLD (instrumental), Mute City, Snake Eater, Route 1 to Viridian City and Midna's Lament, I'll be fine.

I'd like them to add Ghetsis' Theme (Pokémon), some songs from Super Mario Galaxy, and every song from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Every song.

Javier

Come to think of it, why do they limit which songs can be for which stage too? I can understand not letting me put a Fire Emblem song on Delfino Plaza but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to put any song from any Mario stage on there.

And don't even tell me "it wouldn't fit the tone of the stage" when the damn Halberd stage has this as an option.

This especially goes for songs like the Tetris theme, Dr. Mario, Clu Clu Land, etc. which don't have a series stage to go on. I should be able to play them on any stage then.
I think the best solution would be to include 3 or 4 empty music slots for every stage in "My Music", which would let you use any tracks you want from the OST.

Ashley's Theme would have been great on the Luigi's Mansion stage.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As long as they keep in HIS WORLD (instrumental), Mute City, Snake Eater, Route 1 to Viridian City and Midna's Lament, I'll be fine.

Really? That's one of the worst fitting songs in the whole game.

Though if they replace most of the post Sonic CD vocal tracks with instrumental versions that would be a huge improvement. Then again I doubt even that would save Seven Rings in Hand.

Really? That's one of the worst fitting songs in the whole game.

Though if they replace most of the post Sonic CD vocal tracks with instrumental versions that would be a huge improvement. Then again I doubt even that would save Seven Rings in Hand.

I want it back, but in a stage that better fits the mood. Maybe they could use it in a Twilight Realm stage; I dunno.

PokéKong;39325659 said:
I have found absolutely none of the content from non-Prime Metroids to be the least bit satisfactory or faithful. None of the stages have remotely resembled anything actually from Metroid/Super Metroid, and the remixed tracks do no justice to the originals.

I wonder why they bother sometimes. There are plenty of 8-bit songs directly ripped from games being used, why can't they use a few 16-bit ones too? I want me some Brinstar Overgrown! Enough overrated NES Metroid themes.

I totally agree. I really get the feeling that Sakurai is not a fan of Metroid at all, after making 3 Brinstar stages which all don't resemble any Brinstar from any game, after electing to use ZSS instead of Dark Samus or Ridley, and after the small amount of Metroid tracks and leaving out all the most iconic ones.

I mean what the hell even is that wriggling growth in the background of Melee Brinstar? What even are those breakable circle things? Why is that Chozo statue so small and why does it get up and walk around, but not in the same way as a Torizo? And in what part of Metroid did you hide from lava in a box, and what part of Prime did the room flip itself upside down?

It's sad the thing I was most impressed by in regards to Metroid in Smash has been the background for Norfair looking somewhat like Super/Zero Mission.

SmithnCo

I'd like them to add Ghetsis' Theme (Pokémon), some songs from Super Mario Galaxy, and every song from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Every song.

Uprising has such a good soundtrack. If the franchises get more stages this time around, they could have a classic KI stage and an Uprising stage and split the music.

There's quite a mass of songs I'd love to get included, one of which is the Ballad of the Windfish. I really hope that this time around, you'll be able to put all songs onto all stages - I would've loved changing the music for a lot of the 8-Bit-related stages and Luigi's Mansion.

What about the lava/acid stage for Metroid?

Shame we won't get a Phendrana one...

The stages with rising liquid as hazard has become a staple in the series, every game has at least one of those. I would definitely do a Phendrana stage, though, but then again, if it was me, we'd have at least 5 Metroid stages, haha.

Speaking of staples, did anyone else notice that with every iteration, the Great Fox on the stages has become smaller? It was fucking HUGE in 64 and is incredibly tiny in Brawl.

I hope there won't be yet another Pokemon Stadium next time. Spear Pillar was probably one of the coolest stages in the series. Something like N's Castle, Burnt Tower or Mt. Pyre with their respective legendaries could be awesome.

If they absolutely HAVE to do a Stadium type stage, they could make it an Elite Four battle and the stage switches between the four members of one of the games, with their signature Pokemon as hazards. I've hated how Pokemon in Smash so far has been mostly anime-focused, but having Red and the Spear Pillar in Brawl was a step in the right direction.

Speaking of staples, did anyone else notice that with every iteration, the Great Fox on the stages has become smaller? It was fucking HUGE in 64 and is incredibly tiny in Brawl.

I'm not sure what the shrink was for from 64 to Melee (maybe they just thought it'd be more fun if it were smaller, and they were right) but I'm pretty sure the shrink from Melee to Brawl was because the actual character models are bigger in Brawl and Corneria was just straight ported from the GC disc.

Bring back Silph Co. as a classic stage!

I totally forgot about the Saffron City stage. I really would like it if some of those classic N64 stages came back, but totally remastered. Saffron City could easily be made into one of the newer cities (or kept as Saffron but look a lot nicer), Hyrule Castle could be made to look more like the one from LttP or something, old Zebes could be Phaaze now, etc.

Well, that Dreamland was one of the 3 64 stages in Melee.

Also, 64 had some of the best themes in the series (Planet Zebes, Peach's Castle, Dreamland, Master Hand's and Metal Mario's themes, and of course the bonus stage themes).

SmithnCo

I totally forgot about the Saffron City stage. I really would like it if some of those classic N64 stages came back, but totally remastered. Saffron City could easily be made into one of the newer cities (or kept as Saffron but look a lot nicer), Hyrule Castle could be made to look more like the one from LttP or something, old Zebes could be Phaaze now, etc.

It would be great (but a pipe dream) if they brought back every N64 stage remastered.

If not, I'd take the unlockable Mushroom Kingdom one with the usable pipes. I'm surprised they never used the pipe teleporting idea since N64.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't be the only one who was surprised by the lack of a Mushroom Kingdom 3 retro stage in Brawl. With the new surge of SMB3 love from Nintendo I expect it to make an appearance in the WiiU version.

qq more

Yes and it annoys me greatly. Sector Z > Corneria Melee > Corneria Brawl

I miss Sector Z :(

KevinCow

Banned
How about Break the Targets?

I feel like going back to the Melee and 64 style of having a unique one for every character might be a bit much when we'll potentially be nearing 50 characters.

On the other hand, the Brawl way of having only 5 stages really sucked.

What if they do it like Brawl where the Target stages are shared between all the characters, but instead of only having 5, there are like 30 or so? I think that would be a nice compromise.

also how are we not in community yet

I can't be the only one who was surprised by the lack of a Mushroom Kingdom 3 retro stage in Brawl. With the new surge of SMB3 love from Nintendo I expect it to make an appearance in the WiiU version.

Yeah, it would have made chronological sense, they could call it mushroom kingdom 3 to remind me of the silly naming for the Subcon stage in melee.

Though at a stretch the Mario Kart stage has SMB3 style blocks in the background, that's the best you get.

qq more

They should just name it New Mushroom Kingdom and make it a NSMB level instead.

Sakurai: (laughs)

I feel like going back to the Melee and 64 style of having a unique one for every character might be a bit much when we'll potentially be nearing 50 characters.

What if they do it like Brawl where the Target stages are shared between all the characters, but instead of only having 5, there are like 30 or so? I think that would be a nice compromise.

I wouldn't mind this compromise considering the big roster. Although I'd prefer the 64/Melee style but it's totally understandable.

They should also bring back Board the Platforms and Race To The Finish while they're at it. I am so disappointed that Melee and Brawl got rid of them one by one respectively.

Kirby's had some of the coolest stages: Dreamland 64, Fountain of Dreams, and Halberd should all return.

For Smash 4 I'm betting on Dedede's arena thing being the stage. It could be really neat, with the ropes causing players to get bounced quickly to the center you'd have to knock players off the top. And maybe some sub-bosses could appear rarely to beat up some players.

I think if they made categories for franchises to share the same "Break the Targets" or characters with similar play styles can all have the same set would be feasible.

PokéKong

I believe it's best if the series is not bound by tradition, the old games will always be around for anyone who wants to play them, how many people will really miss things like acid flood hazards and vertical scrolling stages anyway?

I am so on board for a King Dedede Arena stage. There doesn't need to be random hazards, I think the concept of a plain Final Destination style stage plus the added variation of short walls at the edges would be quite interesting enough. Think about it, edge grabbing to save yourself would essentially be gone, and you couldn't knock someone away using a straight forward approach. Essentially it becomes more difficult to recover and to KO, it would lead to some pretty interesting matches. Plus the crowd in the background would be a great opportunity to have some fun cameos.

Jezan

Yep, had it on 100% with everything else off, though maybe sometimes i'd indulge a minor amount on Dr Mario and the made up Pictochat theme and then be disappointed when I didn't get Lip's theme.
This!!!
Lip's Theme is awesome <3 Should be back again in SSB4 , rearranged :p

SmithnCo

Yeah, it kinda irked me that you could only play the Tetris music of Luigi's Mansion or the custom stages. Maybe they should have a stage from a puzzle game to put that music. Like a Dr. Mario stage or something.

Actually, fuck it, just have a Tetris stage.

qq more

I personally hope that they bring back a lot of 64/Melee/Brawl stages. At least remake the Saffron City stage :(

EDIT: A Tetris level sounds great. There also needs to be a Swapnote level as the successor of Pictochat.

I personally hope that they bring back a lot of 64/Melee/Brawl stages. At least remake the Saffron City stage :(

EDIT: A Tetris level sounds great. There also needs to be a Swapnote level as the successor of Pictochat.
I said it before and I'll say it again. I think if they had 25 returning stages and 25 new ones that would be a nice blend. Brawl had a fair amount of good stages that on top of Melee and 64 there would be no need to have the same amount of new stages as Brawl introduced without it just seeming like a fresh coat of paint instead of a new stage.

Jezan

Saffron City but at night! :D

And yes I miss the grandness of Sector Z, see people complain about the size of characters, yet Pikachu is bigger than the arwing :p

There should be at least 2 stages per franchise, or 3 for the "main" ones.

KevinCow

Banned
If they really absolutely have to keep an annoying environmental hazard in the Metroid stage, they could do Sanctuary Fortress from Echoes. Have it occasionally warp into Dark Aether, and if you aren't inside a light bubble, your damage slowly rises.

Dedede's boxing arena seems like an obvious choice, but it kinda takes away Little Mac's one potential stage, should he ever become playable. I mean I guess they could do something like the training scene, with a view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty... but come on, it's gotta be a boxing ring at least for his first appearance, with various Punch-Out boxers appearing and messing stuff up.

MisterHero

I'm not entirely done with Xenoblade; but I'd guess I'm towards the final fight(s). Even then, I have to level up because the current fight is really kicking my butt.

I want Smash to have lots of Xenoblade content!

Character: Shulk
Have him use the Monado's skills for his specials, his regular Arts can be his tilt/Smash attacks

Music: the awesome boss music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePdg9rRPJpI

Stage:
maybe the room with the holograms and Egil trying to destroy the Bionis

Maybe Reyn can join because he would have awesome taunts

qq more

I said it before and I'll say it again. I think if they had 25 returning stages and 25 new ones that would be a nice blend. Brawl had a fair amount of good stages that on top of Melee and 64 there would be no need to have the same amount of new stages as Brawl introduced without it just seeming like a fresh coat of paint instead of a new stage.

25 returning stages sounds way more than enough. I like this. :)

KevinCow

Banned
I feel like a Xenoblade stage should give you a good view of the fact that you're fighting a giant being. With the Wii U's hardware bump, they'd be able to make it look especially impressive. Like maybe you fight on Bionis's sword, and off in the distance you can see that it's being held by Bionis.

MisterHero

I feel like a Xenoblade stage should give you a good view of the fact that you're fighting a giant being. With the Wii U's hardware bump, they'd be able to make it look especially impressive. Like maybe you fight on Bionis's sword, and off in the distance you can see that it's being held by Bionis.
lol the stage could be
the Battle of Sword Valley 2 where the Mechonis is awakening and tilting the sword different ways, and the various armies are flying back and forth

everything going on in that scene was incredible

I wonder if you could have a stage that showed all the landscapes of Bionis in one giant scrolling stage. In Xenoblade, there were a couple shots where the camera would just go from one end of the world to the other*, that was quite amazing.

*Now that I think about it, I don't know if those were real-time

While we're on this soundtrack discussion, I think it would be cool to combine songs from different games together, or arrange a song in the style of another game.

Like, take this song from Fire Emblem and make it in Metroid Prime style with synths and all that sci-fi stuff, or take Mario's Overworld theme and arrange it like it was from a Kirby game.

Or take the Pokemon theme (mainly the rock part in the beginning) and stick it into this song from Xenoblade somehow.

If they really absolutely have to keep an annoying environmental hazard in the Metroid stage, they could do Sanctuary Fortress from Echoes. Have it occasionally warp into Dark Aether, and if you aren't inside a light bubble, your damage slowly rises.

We'll probably get Other M's Bottle Ship instead :lol

Here are some bad ideas

Artifact Temple - Metroid Prime: Neutral floating stage set above and away from Prime's artifact temple. Meta Ridley does battle with Chozo Ghosts in the background.

Sanctuary Fortress - Metroid Prime 2: Basically Kevin Cow's idea. Set in the elevator shaft where Dark Samus is encountered. When the elevator reaches the top of the tower, it runs into a dark world portal and remains that way for a period of time, at which point the elevator falls to the bottom of the shaft and back into the light world.

Patch Land - Kirby's Epic Yarn: Lots of unexpected hazards that play with environment. A hazard may come out of a zipper that runs along the floor, for instance.

Sunset Shores - Donkey Kong Country Returns: Full on silhouette level. Tiki pirate ships will occasionally fire at the stage similar to the cannonball stage from World 2.

Bramble Scramble - Donkey Kong Country 2: Brambles will dynamically grow, twist, and contort around the floating stage, opening and closing angles at which to launch your opponent off. Massive damage is incurred by touching the spikes.

Gangplank Galleon - Donkey Kong Country: Neutral pirate ship stage that floats around both DK Island and Crocodile Isle. Kickass music with awesome stuff in the background.

Dr. Wily's Castle - Mega Man 2: Avoid hostile robots and occasional Mech Dragon attacks that force the stage to scroll further and further to the right...all while *that* song plays. Face off with one of Dr. Wily's huge machines when the stage reaches it's endpoint, before everything resets.

Gusty Garden Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy: Large space that contains multiple spherical planetoids with their own gravity. It's like Hyrule Temple on all sorts of drugs.

While we're on this soundtrack discussion, I think it would be cool to combine songs from different games together, or arrange a song in the style of another game.

Like, take this song from Fire Emblem and make it in Metroid Prime style with synths and all that sci-fi stuff, or take Mario's Overworld theme and arrange it like it was from a Kirby game.

Or take the Pokemon theme (mainly the rock part in the beginning) and stick it into this song from Xenoblade somehow.

Well we already kind of have DK meets Metroid with Tiki Tong Song and Tidal Terror.
I'd be up for some proper takes on this soundtrack merging idea but only for a few tracks.

I like a bunch of these, especially Patch Land and the sunset DK one.

For Metroid we should get a Prime and a retro stage again. For the Retro one it'd be nice to get something iconic from Super like Crateria with the rain and Samus' ship, the haunted frigate, the underwater Maridia, Lower Norfair with Ridley and Crocomire, or even something with Mother Brain.

For Prime I like the Artifact Temple thing. Some other interesting locations could be Phendrana Drifts, the impact crater, the cool Sky Sanctuary idea or Torvus Bog, or maybe Bryyo or something else from Prime 3.

Man there are so many great ideas for DK, Kirby and Metroid. Let's get some Zelda/Mario/Pikmin/Star Fox ideas up in here!

Murrah

Banned
Gusty Garden Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy: Large space that contains multiple spherical planetoids with their own gravity. Hyrule Temple on all sorts of drugs.

I like all your ideas but this one in particular would be perfect and it's basically what I've been imagining as a galaxy level in smash since 2007. Each planetoid could have different looks and setpieces from the games - lava planetoid with blaargs, honeyhive with queen bee, one with bouldergeist tossing rocks around, etc. Maybe a Bowser Jr. mech could randomly appear. Possibilities are pretty much endless but I hope they go with this planetoids with separate gravity idea; would be so cool to smash someone off one and have the gravity from another pull them upwards. Gah I'm nerding out just thinking about it

KevinCow

Banned
I hope they cut back on the kinds of levels that are just floating platforms unrelated to what's going on in the background. Smashville, Delfino, Port Town, Halberd, Norfair, New Pork City... there were so many of them in Brawl. The point is to fight on these cool levels!

Like Xtortionist's Artifact Temple idea, we could at least be fighting on Samus's ship instead of random floating platforms.

For a DKC2 stage, how about instead of just choosing one theme, they combine several? Like the level could take place in K. Rool's castle. In the background is the Flying Krock, crashed through the wall, giving you a good view of the outside. Brambles have overgrown, and are now covering much of the Krock and the walls of the castle. Through the hole in the wall, you can also see other references to the game, such as Gangplank Galleon and Krazy Kremland (complete with rollercoaster and giant zinger hive).

but we'll probably just get another stage with wooden planks on a river in a jungle

For Metroid we should get a Prime and a retro stage again.

but wouldn't prime stages also be retro stages

eh eh

For a DKC2 stage, how about instead of just choosing one theme, they combine several? Like the level could take place in K. Rool's castle. In the background is the Flying Krock, crashed through the wall, giving you a good view of the outside. Brambles have overgrown, and are now covering much of the Krock and the walls of the castle. Through the hole in the wall, you can also see other references to the game, such as Gangplank Galleon and Krazy Kremland (complete with rollercoaster and giant zinger hive).
The DKC2 nut in me is squealing at the idea of such a glorious stage.

but we'll probably just get another stage with wooden planks on a river in a jungle
I'm sad now, plus DK island swing remixes of course, maybe four versions this time!

Gravijah

Xenoblade stage should be one of two things:

on the sword between Bionis & Mechonis

or

Halberd/Final Destination/F-Zero style where you are on a platform and shit is going on behind you. like Mechonis & Bionis fighting.

Thinking about it, the cool thing about Brawl's SSE was the bosses. Not the non-specific bosses like Tabuu and whatever the other ones were called, but rather fighting Ridley, Pokey, Rayquaza, Petey Piranha and the likes. That was really awesome.
Generally speaking, I was happy whenever I encountered enemies and hazards that were based on actual games - although ROB as the Ancient Minister was pretty badass.

Also Port Town not having Port Town Theme (the SNES/64 version) is sad. But it was saved cause it had Green Plant and Golden Forest

Shhh, it's called Devil Forest, but don't tell anyone. ;)

Oh also, what pissed me off the most about Brawl's music that the main theme was so fucking repetitive, and it was played EVERYWHERE and ALL THE TIME. They really should not have Uematsu compose that song. It is trying way too fucking hard to be epic.

One of the Metroid stages is going to be from Other M. Deal with it.

I'm not sure about that, to be frank. If there is a new Metroid game in the making, then it's likely we'll get that, and Other M will only be referenced and trophies and shit. Also, given how negatively people have reacted to Other M, it might actually not be featured in a stage at all. Though it might happen. *shrugs*

Honestly, it wouldn't even bother me that much, Other M was a good game, just not a Metroid game, lol. And it had some really neat environments.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well a straight up boxing ring may be a little boring, even if they made the edges bouncy. I suppose one gimmick they could add is that the more damage you sustain the longer it takes for you to get up if you're knocked down. Taken even further, if you're down for the count you're blasted off the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom