• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to give each character a unique victory theme like Metaknight. It apparently was planned going by the soundfiles. If only for this under appreciated Mario victory theme to have a chance.

Who would have it? It's very likely Luigi would get something referencing Luigi's Mansion, it won't work for Bowser for obvious reasons.

Peach could probably have it, but on the other hand, she could also have the SPP jingle.

Peach could rock that theme, see we need this to happen now.
And I need this for Diddy Kong, and a beatbox victory animation.

Why not this one?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Went to check out Super Princess Peach's level clear theme and it's pretty forgettable.

And Diddy Kong and his Beat Box without the rap? But the lack of beatbox was a rather questionable decision. Then again it took until Brawl for DK to beat his chest as a taunt.

Oddly I always associate that victory theme with DKC3 more since it always plays whereas I usually scored the good end music in DKC2.

SPP jingle is pretty good, I wouldn't say no to that, I was just playing it the other day, it's pretty fun stuff, they should draw more from it for Peach's moves, stage and music selection.
Oh yes!

And Diddy Kong and his Beat Box without the rap? But the lack of beatbox was a rather questionable decision. Then again it took until Brawl for DK to beat his chest as a taunt.

Oddly I always associate that victory theme with DKC3 more since it always plays whereas I usually scored the good end music in DKC2.
Well I felt the rap was too long, but yeah the jingle is far more prominent in DKC3, if SSB4 does the right thing and makes Dixie Kong playable then she could have that jingle.

There are victory jingles that are about 10-15 seconds long (G&W comes to mind), so yeah.

Bowser's could be this, or generally something referring to Koopa's Road, cause that's one of the best Mario music pieces ever done.

The solution for Bowser is as simple as this, complete with the laugh of course.
Wait, how did I miss Red Arremer beat me to the punch, I guess now my face is the Red thing around here.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well using homebrew I gave Wario a long and lopping victory theme.
You could say it's perfect.

Well actually it starts with this before going into the looping section.

KevinCow

Banned
Enter Ganondorf would be the best victory theme ever, would have to be trimmed down though.

The solution for Bowser is as simple as this, complete with the laugh of course.

I guess these would actually work pretty well.

I just liked the idea of using Game Over jingles for the bad guys since, when you think about it, a Game Over for Mario is a victory for Bowser. So a Game Over jingle is really the villain's Victory jingle.

So I was thinking today about Nintendo's biggest franchises, and about having more representation for them relatively, and it dawned on me that one of the biggest franchises without a "rep" was Smash Bros. itself. Smash has never really had any characters though, to be fair. There's Master Hand and Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser, all of whom couldn't really be characters. There's the fighting polygons, but they were replaced by the wire frames in the very next game, and then replaced with the alloys next. It seemed like Sakurai was trying to inject some character into Smash with Tabuu and the Primids, but I'm not sure how well that really worked.

Do you think Smash as a franchise kind of by default represents itself in the games, with items and stages that have been in the series since game 1 being reps in the way that Panel de Pon, Animal Crossing, Electroplankton, etc. were represented by items/stages? Or do you think Smash deserves its own character for being so big? And if so, who would it even be?

TreIII

I guess these would actually work pretty well.

I just liked the idea of using Game Over jingles for the bad guys since, when you think about it, a Game Over for Mario is a victory for Bowser. So a Game Over jingle is really the villain's Victory jingle.

That could also work. A very ominous remix of the classic "SMB1 Mario Miss" jingle? Yes please!

This could also work for the sake of even newer characters, such as Ghirahim using the Game Over jingle from the game he appeared from, a Koopaling using the jingle from SMB3/World/NSMBW, and etc.

I suppose the only time this wouldn't fly is for games that really don't have traditional Game Over jingles now-a-days.

SmithnCo

So I was thinking today about Nintendo's biggest franchises, and about having more representation for them relatively, and it dawned on me that one of the biggest franchises without a "rep" was Smash Bros. itself. Smash has never really had any characters though, to be fair. There's Master Hand and Crazy Hand and Giga Bowser, all of whom couldn't really be characters. There's the fighting polygons, but they were replaced by the wire frames in the very next game, and then replaced with the alloys next. It seemed like Sakurai was trying to inject some character into Smash with Tabuu and the Primids, but I'm not sure how well that really worked.

Do you think Smash as a franchise kind of by default represents itself in the games, with items and stages that have been in the series since game 1 being reps in the way that Panel de Pon, Animal Crossing, Electroplankton, etc. were represented by items/stages? Or do you think Smash deserves its own character for being so big? And if so, who would it even be?

Master Hand or Sandbag (lol) could be interesting as a "bonus" easter egg type thing. The problem is that none of the made-for-Smash "characters" ever really had any personality, probably because they don't want to overshadow the other characters and their universes. They kinda tried with SSE but none of those enemies/Tabuu were really memorable.

Final Destination and Battlefield are kinda representative of Smash, though they are bland. Maybe they could spice it up by having a stage that flies through a bunch of Nintendo universes or something. Or maybe a stage based on the kid's room from the N64 game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No it won't. This'd go to Gaming Community, FurryGAF is in Off-Topic Community.

You get to rub elbows with SonicGAF instead. Don't worry, we don't bite.

Community is community :)

That's why I said neighbors anyway. I consider threads to be like, rooms.

i don't understand

you're talking about sonicgaf and furrygaf like they're different things

Yes they are, you innocent naive cow :3

In the grand scheme of overall communities, the Sonic one is far, far worse than the furry one.

In terms of GAF communities, I can't comment. I don't go to FurryGAF. SonicGAF doesn't have most of the ugly side of the Sonic community, though, as most of the people are fairly level-headed; nobody is defending the series' worst entries from insults like you'd insulted their child, nobody's shoving horribly drawn recolors proclaiming that they're Original Characters Donut Steel™, nobody's writing really awful fanfiction (as far as I know)... Just a bunch of guys dicking around and discussing various facets of the series, good and bad.

Anyway, this is horribly off-topic, so, um, I hope Sonic returns for Smash 4? Then again, he was one of the most-wanted characters, and Sega and Nintendo seem to be pretty chummy these days, so it's unlikely that he'd be cut via either executive fiat or legal issues. It'd be nice if he had better killing moves, though; I think I rely a bit too much on his forward Smash.

The Bowser message + laugh one would be perfect. Especially if we get a recording of the more monstrous Smash Bowser voice doing the laugh.

w00tkins

Whoops! How did I miss that?

I'd like to see the Mother victory from melee return. Give it to ness and lucas can have the brawl one

MisterHero

He said he found it difficult to give Mac a variety of moves since all he really does is punch.

Amazingly enough, he's one of the best Assist Trophies.

I really hope they allow more granular control of this version. I was actually hoping they would release a "Pro" version of Brawl at some point. Basically allow the kind of stuff listed below.

1. The ability to turn off level hazards. Some levels were really cool, but ruined because of the random hazards.

2. The ability to customize what characters are picked when "random" is selected. (Profile Specific)

3. TURN OFF TRIPPING!!

NeonZ

They need to give each character a unique victory theme like Metaknight. It apparently was planned going by the soundfiles. If only for this under appreciated Mario victory theme to have a chance.

I don't think that'll happen. For Brawl, early in the development, when he answered the Japanese fan's questions in the beta site, Sakurai said that they'd be doing that, and mentioned Metaknight's remix of Kirby's theme as an example, however, something happened and he gave up on that idea. The in game files basically confirm that he planned to add more customs, but eventually gave up on it for some reason, and considering how early the idea was brought up (and the names of cut characters being listed), I don't think it was due to the game being rushed. Metaknight's theme being officially confirmed is likely the only reason why he kept it in the end. I won't be surprised if they completely cut that this time and Metaknight ends up just with the standard Kirby theme, rather than giving more custom themes to other characters.

I don't think that'll happen. For Brawl, early in the development, when he answered the Japanese fan's questions in the beta site, Sakurai said that they'd be doing that, and mentioned Metaknight's remix of Kirby's theme as an example, however, something happened and he gave up on that idea. The in game files basically confirm that he planned to add more customs, but eventually gave up on it for some reason, and considering how early the idea was brought up (and the names of cut characters being listed), I don't think it was due to the game being rushed. Metaknight's theme being officially confirmed is likely the only reason why he kept it in the end. I won't be surprised if they completely cut that this time and Metaknight ends up just with the standard Kirby theme, rather than giving more custom themes to other characters.

There is a lot of leftover information and content that just didn't make the cut - you name characters, but there's also a shitload of music that has been removed for no apparent reason (one was Ballad of the Windfish, which has been paining me the most since it's my most favorite Zelda theme from my most favorite Zelda game).
There's unused character data as well (e.g. Falco was supposed to have an Arwing as Final Smash, which can be dug up as well - although it's not functional).

I would say that character-specific victory jingles is not out of the equation at all.

Boss Doggie

He said he found it difficult to give Mac a variety of moves since all he really does is punch.

Amazingly enough, he's one of the best Assist Trophies.

He should watch some other fighting games that uses various punch attacks, or watch Ashita no Joe or Hajime no Ippo :p

Also yeah. First being, surprisingly enough, tie between Waluigi and MKII.

He never actually said anything about Little Mac; people just assume what he said about the Urban Champion guy works against him too.

Ahh I see.

2. The ability to customize what characters are picked when "random" is selected. (Profile Specific)

Eh, I disagree. While it's useful for stages, for characters it kinda misses the point.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Personally, I hope that we would get trailer two nintendo direct later on and announce Dojo is returning. Our sleep cycle will be screwed. :)

Do you have a source on the scrapped Falco Final Smash? I've never heard of that before.

It has been found while people hacked the game. If you swap Falco's moveset onto Diddy and have him use a Final Smash, he will be using the Arwing instead. It's incomplete, so it doesn't have any animations or attacks, and iirc it is just the model without even a texture, but it is in the game files.

I'll try to find the video.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There is a lot of leftover information and content that just didn't make the cut - you name characters, but there's also a shitload of music that has been removed for no apparent reason (one was Ballad of the Windfish, which has been paining me the most since it's my most favorite Zelda theme from my most favorite Zelda game).
There's unused character data as well (e.g. Falco was supposed to have an Arwing as Final Smash, which can be dug up as well - although it's not functional).

I would say that character-specific victory jingles is not out of the equation at all.

That and we know for a fact Sakurai comes back to things. See Final Smashes and characters.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It has been found while people hacked the game. If you swap Falco's moveset onto Diddy and have him use a Final Smash, he will be using the Arwing instead. It's incomplete, so it doesn't have any animations or attacks, and iirc it is just the model without even a texture, but it is in the game files.

Weird, Diddy Kong rode on Arwing in Story mode, so it sound odd when you mention that.

Boss Doggie

The music being unused is legit.

That's why you have Super Mario RPG idiots claiming Geno is in the game when thinking they have a song in it (when in fact it was a Zelda song). Someone uploaded a remix of a mistaken SMRPG song and they thought that was the "restructured" version of the one in the game.

Er... there is an Arwing attached to Falco's moveset though--it's part of his entrance animation. Because to me it sounds like the game is loading a separate model attached to the character (where the called upon model for Diddy has the same value as the called upon model as Falco's Arwing used in his entrance) and referencing a texture file that is used in Diddy's moveset but not in Falco's. So essentially it's loading the Arwing because it's the equivalent attached model to Diddy's second Peanut Pistol and it's textureless because it's referencing the texture of the Peanut Popgun which is unused in Falco's moveset. That's what it sounds like to me.

What happens if you switch Fox and Diddy's? Because I know giving Fox Sonic's moveset and using the Up-B causes him to load the Arwing model (textureless, just like you mentioned) instead of a spring.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The music being unused is legit.

That's why you have Super Mario RPG idiots claiming Geno is in the game when thinking they have a song in it (when in fact it was a Zelda song). Someone uploaded a remix of a mistaken SMRPG song and they thought that was the "restructured" version of the one in the game.

Actually, other reason why they think that because of silly rumor that Geno was almost got in the game but got cut last minute.

qq more

That's very interesting if true. I hope Falco gets the Arwing in SSB4 as final smash (and maybe even give him dual laser guns, I was disappointed he never had it in his moveset after seeing that SSE scene). No excuse to have him keep the Landmaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom