• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/219759606463864832

Awy-Mp-CIAA9T7V.jpg

Ness and Lucas have been replaced by Mr Saturn CONFIRMED!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't want to jinx it but it seem to be safe that those characters will be in SSB4. I mean it's obvious right? Unless they decided to trap and surprise us.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't want to jinx it but it seem to be safe that those characters will be in SSB4. I mean it's obvious right? Unless they decided to trap and surprise us.

Actually, that's a white board and Sakurai drew the cast who would be removed from the next Smash.

Mario is gone - it's now Waluigi.

ruimound

New to this discussion; is this information new?

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/02/smash-bros-wii-u-probably-wont-feature-more-characters/

I'm mildly disappointed at best--I would have liked to see Neku and Shulk and Drill Dozer Jill (of course)--but I won't be the last to agree that the game had some qualitative overhauls coming. I don't mean to imply that this information is accurate enough to make a judgment off of at all, but what are your thoughts?

Kirby and Pit seem to be the most prominent characters in that pic, Metaknight is the only secondary series character to make the pic as well (Wario excepted for his own series), i'm onto your self serving Sakurai, surprised it's a heart container and not a maxim tomato.

No it's not, and that site is obviously very great in turning words around in Sakurai's mouth. He said "more characters isn't enough".
We're speculating that there probably will be some cuts and there won't be many new characters.

With that said, that info was known even before the reveal of Namco working w/ Nintendo, so we will at least see one if not more Namco guests.
I want Klonoa and Guntz damnit.

While the picture probably means nothing, all of those characters are pretty safe bets anyway.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/02/smash-bros-wii-u-probably-wont-feature-more-characters/

I'm mildly disappointed at best--I would have liked to see Neku and Shulk and Drill Dozer Jill (of course)--but I won't be the last to agree that the game had some qualitative overhauls coming. I don't mean to imply that this information is accurate enough to make a judgment off of at all, but what are your thoughts?
This is from like a month old quote, and a rather specific interpretation to boot.

Kirby and Pit seem to be the most prominent characters in that pic, Metaknight is the only secondary series character to make the pic as well (Wario excepted for his own series), i'm onto your self serving Sakurai, surprised it's a heart container and not a maxim tomato.

Luigi is there as well.

EDIT: And yeah, Sakurai didn't draw it.

Boss Doggie

At least no one's shitting up this thread. That "Seth in PSASB" thread had some rather sharp posts.

ruimound

No it's not, and that site is obviously very great in turning words around in Sakurai's mouth. He said "more characters isn't enough".
We're speculating that there probably will be some cuts and there won't be many new characters.

With that said, that info was known even before the reveal of Namco working w/ Nintendo, so we will at least see one if not more Namco guests.
I want Klonoa and Guntz damnit.

Ah. I see. That's what I had figured, but the site (I don't even use it; a friend posted this on Facebook) was dated today so I thought I might as well verify. I was thinking the same thing--that the quote was basically completely misinterpreted by a sensationalist website. Good to know after all.

If only one Namco guest was included as a playable, who do you think it'd be? I'm looking up and down their history and the best fit looks like it has to be Lloyd. I don't know the details, but I'd imagine ToS must have outsold Klonoa. I can't even remember playing the latter, though I know I did at one point and liked it.

ruimound

Pac-Man is the first choice for a Namco character. No question.

Playable? I really can't see how he could be delegated to anything more than a glorified assist trophy spot. I know he's Namco's thing, but I just can't see how playable he'd be. What moves would he even have? Eating people, maybe spitting out ghosts and/or cherries? It'd take a creative magician to work out a solid skillset for him.

Capcom made him sit in a Mokujin doll for Street Fighter X Tekken.

And there's still a shitload of games that they can draw moves from, not only the basic Pac-Man games, but even those have more than just the basic eating and avoiding ghosts - you could add in powers from Pac-Man World (unless I'm mistaking the games, but I know 100% sure that he at least had some sort of somersault jumps going on in that).

And of course, the spin-offs. There's stuff like Pac-in-Time (the hook from there could be his recovery move), there's Pac-Man Fever or Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (which they hopefully will NOT reference... augh), and many more.

Murrah

Banned
And of course, the spin-offs. There's stuff like Pac-in-Time (the hook from there could be his recovery move), there's Pac-Man Fever or Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (which they hopefully will NOT reference... augh), and many more.

Pacman 2 is awesome dammit. In fact just base his entire moveset off of that. Hang glider recovery, super pacman as final smash, and you don't actually have direct control over him at all and instead have to fire a slingshot to get him to attack who you want

That's a freebie Sakurai

KevinCow

Banned
Playable? I really can't see how he could be delegated to anything more than a glorified assist trophy spot. I know he's Namco's thing, but I just can't see how playable he'd be. What moves would he even have? Eating people, maybe spitting out ghosts and/or cherries? It'd take a creative magician to work out a solid skillset for him.

"How could they possibly make Captain Falcon into a playable character? All he does is drive a car."

It would take some creativity, but Pac-Man is a gaming icon. If there's one Namco character, it's Pac-Man.

If they need some material to flesh out his move set, there's always the Pac-Man World series.

SmithnCo

He's walked around and had various attacks in Pac-Man the New Adventures and the Pac-Man World games. His final smash is obvious (power pellet) and his B could be swallowing characters like Wario. The rest can be from the other games.

BlackJace

Adventure Mode needs a complete rehaul.

Each stage should be based on a specific character in Smash, same thing with the enemies. No more of these random ass custom stages and enemies.

For example, a Metroid stage. Takes place on the Frigate Orpheon. Beat the shit out of metroids, space pirates, etc.

SmithnCo

Adventure Mode needs a complete rehaul.

Each stage should be based on a specific character in Smash, same thing with the enemies. No more of these random ass custom stages and enemies.

For example, a Metroid stage. Takes place on the Frigate Orpheon. Beat the shit out of metroids, space pirates, etc.

Also, if they did this, I'd like each "world" to be a fair length and have elements of the games themselves. Like the Mario would have more platforming, Zelda more exploration, etc. They kinda did this with Melee but it was just a small sample of each and they didn't dig too deep.

Replace the SSE crap with this and adventure mode could be fun again. In a game about fanservice you don't really need to put bland original stuff like SSE in there.

BlackJace

Also, if they did this, I'd like each "world" to be a fair length and have elements of the games themselves. Like the Mario would have more platforming, Zelda more exploration, etc. They kinda did this with Melee but it was just a small sample of each and they didn't dig too deep.

Replace the SSE crap with this and adventure mode could be fun again. In a game about fanservice you don't really need to put bland original stuff like SSE in there.

My thoughts exactly.

Honestly, I didn't mind the original enemies, it makes sense that the characters (and villains) from different universes are somehow tied together and work as a team in order to defeat the destructive outsider force. Also, without that, we wouldn't have had ROB as Ancient Minister, which was pretty awesome.

But they should've put in MORE enemies, and actual areas from the different games, not generic random areas that don't tie into anything (except for the Halberd).

qq more

Honestly, I didn't mind the original enemies, it makes sense that the characters (and villains) from different universes are somehow tied together and work as a team in order to defeat the destructive outsider force. Also, without that, we wouldn't have had ROB as Ancient Minister, which was pretty awesome.

But they should've put in MORE enemies, and actual areas from the different games, not generic random areas that don't tie into anything (except for the Halberd).
I agree with everything you said.

SSE was fun then later it kind of overstayed its welcome. I mean... aside from the levels looking all generic, they were really bland and nothing exactly exciting.

Yeah, one SSE's biggest problems was that there really weren't any distinctive locales. Generic stadium -> generic cloud world -> generic jungle -> generic creepy town -> generic dark castle -> generic space base -> generic ice cap -> the Halberd for no reason -> generic "dark world"... I know the order's not right, but like hell I can remember the order of such imaginative settings.

Melee's Adventure Mode, I can at least remember all the stages and their rough order - partly because, by borrowing motifs from the games the series represents, it became all that much less "generic". Mario -> Donkey Kong -> Zelda -> Metroid -> Kirby -> Pokémon -> F-Zero -> Ice Climbers -> Battlefield/Final Destination... not 100% sure I got everything, and in the correct order at that, but I'm far more confident than I am with SSE!

The other big problem is that Smash Bros. doesn't exactly have very good platforming mechanics, but that's another can of worms entirely.

BlackJace

I agree with everything you said.

SSE was fun then later it kind of overstayed its welcome. I mean... aside from the levels looking all generic, they were really bland and nothing exactly exciting.

Yeah, one SSE's biggest problems was that there really weren't any distinctive locales. Generic stadium -> generic cloud world -> generic jungle -> generic creepy town -> generic dark castle -> generic space base -> generic ice cap -> the Halberd for no reason -> generic "dark world"... I know the order's not right, but like hell I can remember the order of such imaginative settings.

Melee's Adventure Mode, I can at least remember all the stages and their rough order - partly because, by borrowing motifs from the games the series represents, it became all that much less "generic". Mario -> Donkey Kong -> Zelda -> Metroid -> Kirby -> Pokémon -> F-Zero -> Ice Climbers -> Battlefield/Final Destination... not 100% sure I got everything, and in the correct order at that, but I'm far more confident than I am with SSE!

The other big problem is that Smash Bros. doesn't exactly have very good platforming mechanics, but that's another can of worms entirely.

Yeah that's the point I was making. I think they were trying to craft the actual "world" of Smash Bros, when it wasn't really needed. The game is a mash up of all of Nintendo's worlds.

qq more

Yeah that's the point I was making. I think they were trying to craft the actual "world" of Smash Bros, when it wasn't really needed. The game is a mash up of all of Nintendo's worlds.

Yeah it's baffling that they tried to do this and make it nearly as generic as possible. I too really hope the next Adventure Mode (if it happens) uses the Nintendo worlds.

KevinCow

Banned
I feel like it was... I don't want to say laziness, but just taking the easy way out.

Why make a goomba, kremling, octorok, waddle dee, space pirate, rattata, and bulborb when they can make just the one generic enemy and stick it in every stage? Why make the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Zebes, Kongo Jungle, etc. when they can make them all the same world and reuse assets throughout all the levels?

Honestly though, as awesome as an Adventure Mode done right would be, it would also take a ton of time and effort to do. Time and effort that could otherwise be spent on the multiplayer, giving us more characters and stages. And when it comes down to it, which mode are you gonna play once and then never again, and which mode are you gonna continue playing for years after the game's release?

...Huh. Usually people complain about unnecessary multiplayer taking away from the single player, and here I am complaining that unnecessary single player might take away from the multiplayer. Weird.

I'm curious to see if they'll bring back the Sub-Space Embassy from Brawl. I found that to be more fun than what I expected it, easily put in a good twenty hours into the main story itself. Also am I the only one that would absolutely kill for a Xenoblade-themed level? Don't know how it would look or work, but playing Smash with a remix of some Xenoblade music would be orgasmic. Add Shulk in the game and I'll be playing night and day.

Boss Doggie

So it seems like the Smash cycle has somewhat left this thread and entered the other.

I guess being in Gaming does that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom