• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

w00tkins

I predict that the Skyward Sword based stage will use timeshift stones in some capacity. Perhaps set in Lanayru Mining Facility.

I wouldn't mind if the SSE was made more of a 3DS specific feature, and this is coming from someone who still kind of dug it. While it's a cool concept and I think it has a few bright spots (but not denying the tons of OC's and generic locations weren't terrible), it'd be better regulated to the inevitably smaller-scale version of Smash.

Also the more I think about it the more I feel Brawl may have wound up with a far bigger roster and stages if SSE had merely been a repeat of Melee's Adventure mode. On the other hand, we wouldn't of gotten those pretty awesome Ridley and Porky Minch fights without SSE.

EDIT: Time-shift stones would be an awesome idea. I may of left SS with mixed feelings but I thought both time stone dungeons were excellent. Though if you set it in Skyloft, (spoilered just in case)
you could have every dungeon from the game represented via Sky Keep, with maybe there being a point where it falls down and while you fall with it the different dungeon blocks that make it up split apart

IF there is a Skyward Sword based stage. Might be just some pretty generic Zelda locations.

The only Zelda stage in Smash Bros. history that could possibly be construed as a generic Zelda location is Temple, but that's got some pretty clear Zelda II vibes. Hyrule Castle is the Ocarina of Time incarnation, and Great Bay, Bridge of Eldin, and the Pirate Ship are all pretty clear renditions of locales from one specific game.

I would. Apart from the Mario and Zelda stages, it felt more like a bunch of event matches.

Yeah, it really wasn't as great as some make it out to be (though opinions and all that), it starts off strong and quickly fizzles out. Oh it's certainly enjoyable but I actually preferred SSE, a refined version of that will do me fine.

But Giant Kirby's creepy smile from melee adventure mode is always a winner, now if we want to follow a melee example than i'll take it's better approach to event mode which was mostly well done while the ones in Brawl were sort of...well crap for some reason.

Javier

The new Adventure mode should be unique for each character. i.e. Mario starts at Mushroom Kingdom searching for Peach and the final battle is against Bowser, but can also team up with Luigi on the way and fight Wario and Donkey Kong. Link starts at Hyrule Field and ends fighting Ganondorf at Hyrule Castle, while fighting most sword-users along the way. Stuff like that.

SmithnCo

I would. Apart from the Mario and Zelda stages, it felt more like a bunch of event matches.

Yeah, if they had every franchise represented like Mario and Zelda it would be better. I think people mostly like the idea of using actual Nintendo locations, and possibly a small adventure mode that you can run through in one sitting. Personally I just want Nintendo locations and less repetition. SSE played like a boring Kirby game, but at least Meele's had a little variation.

KevinCow

Banned
With PS All-Stars adding true alternate costumes, I hope Sakurai finally caves and gives them to us in Smash.

Also going to Community totally killed this thread, didn't it? :/

Alt. costumes would be so great. It would mean we could basically have Dr. Mario, Roy and Pichu back, and there are many other characters that just work better as model swaps. Plus it would mean Funky Kong could be in!

I think in place of Adventure Mode they SHOULD just make a level for each character based on their stage, and have you fight/platform/whatever to the stage and fight the character. Each player character would go through these in a different order and maybe have some sort of scenes explaining why they're doing this and how they get to each world. The levels themselves should reflect the actual games (Metroid stage has exploration, Zelda stage is a puzzle dungeon, Mario stage is a straight platformer, maybe FE stage is a lite-strategy game?!) and be somewhat randomly generated. And once you beat all of them there's a "final act" kind of thing where all the characters come together.

Though because that would require more work and Sakurai is going to want to top SSE in epicness, it's going to be more of SSE.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Alt. costumes would be so great. It would mean we could basically have Dr. Mario, Roy and Pichu back, and there are many other characters that just work better as model swaps. Plus it would mean Funky Kong could be in!

That's not how alt costumes work (save for Dr. Mario), unless you mean Marth putting on Roy's clothing.

Also, I hope they remove Up B tether. They suck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When people ask for alternative costumes do they want the Wario model of two costumes with a set of recolours, or the Pikachu model with each colour being a unique costume?

KevinCow

Banned
When people ask for alternative costumes do they want the Wario model of two costumes with a set of recolours, or the Pikachu model with each colour being a unique costume?

As many costumes with as many recolors as they can fit in.

I can't imagine recolors take much effort at all. You're literally just changing the colors on a texture map. The ease that people have added their own recolors through hacks helps enforce this. There's no reason the extra costumes can't have their own recolors. No reason we couldn't have Samus's Fusion suit in all its color variants, or a pink Tanooki Suit Mario, or whatever else.

Furthermore, I'd love to see custom recolors.

Basically I want as many options for visual variety as possible.

What would a alternate costume for Ice Climbers be?
Or R.O.B.?
Or Mr. Game & Watch?

Mrs. Game & Watch.

Though not every character HAS to have an alt.

That's not how alt costumes work (save for Dr. Mario), unless you mean Marth putting on Roy's clothing.

There's no reason Pichu couldn't just be a model swap, he has basically the same moves as Pikachu except they're weaker and do self-damage. Just forget those things and it works.

Roy could work as a model swap for Marth despite Roy being quite different from Marth. I'm only suggesting it because I don't think Roy should get in over Marth, Ike, Krom or a female character/axe or spear wielder, and yet he's loved by fans of both FE and Smash and should be in the game in some form.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well some Ice Climber costumes can take inspiration from:

N0V4q.jpg

TYrVp.jpg

rL1UD.jpg

Balloon Fight has featured music in both Ice Climber stages. Also the original has a two player option.

JazzmanZ

What would a alternate costume for Ice Climbers be?
Or R.O.B.?
Or Mr. Game & Watch?

They can always make original costumes for them.

Maybe the ice climbers without the parkas?

a more streamlined R.O.B

and maybe a different character from Game & Watch? play as the chef maybe?

KevinCow

Banned
Not every character has obvious costume changes, but I'm sure they could come up with something silly for them.

Dress the Ice Climbers up for summer instead of winter. Onesie swimsuits, swimming caps, flip-flops, goggles, maybe a snorkel.

Give Game & Watch a pattern instead of a solid color. Make him polka dot or plaid or something.

Make ROB look like a skeletal chassis without the outer plastic covering him.

Furthermore, I don't think all characters are equal in this. Someone like Samus or Mario has a ton of suits that they could implement, while other characters like the ones above would be lucky to have just one alt. I don't think that means characters like Samus and Mario should be limited to only one.

Ice Climbers can wear hiking gear. Or as an actual nintendo related costume they get shoved into lolo and lala costumes, they'd be like a fat sphere duo.

JazzmanZ

Mario is a hard one definitely since theres loads to choose from.

Through Dr.Mario stands out since it was a playable character in SSBM.

Samus isn't all that hard as theres two iconic ones they can choose from, Varia and the fusion suit.

KevinCow

Banned
I'd rather the costumes were a reference than just made up for the sakes of having a costume.

Sure. But as I said, not every character has obvious alternate costumes.

Mario is a hard one definitely since theres loads to choose from.

Through Dr.Mario stands out since it was a playable character in SSBM.

Samus isn't all that hard as theres two iconic ones they can choose from, Varia and the fusion suit.

Samus needs the Dark and Light Suits from Echoes.

There's no reason Pichu couldn't just be a model swap, he has basically the same moves as Pikachu except they're weaker and do self-damage. Just forget those things and it works.

Character costumes need to be able to function as just visual costume changes--Pichu literally could not function as a Pikachu costume because of the differences in hitboxes. Pichu's tail isn't even half the length of Pikachu's. With moves like his Up-Smash (which was completely reanimated for Pichu) he'd be hitting them with nothing or a severely stretched tail. You'd have to completely rework the hitboxes for a Pichu costume to work, and at that point he's no longer the same character.

On the topic of not everyone getting an alt, there is one who I don't think can possibly have one, and that's Kirby--you'd have to maintain his hats that he wears when he steals powers, and a good portion of them (like Samus's and DK's) completely cover up a huge majority of what would be used to tell the costumes apart. Game & Watch's hat is a complete model coverup.

In my opinion, I think they should be more fair to the characters and give one alt to each save for those that nothing could really function for, like Kirby, and instead give those characters an extra set of colors.

Concerning R.O.B. they could potentially base something off of the Ancient Minister design. Maybe.

JazzmanZ

They could always dress up the Pokemon in stuff, like in the pokemon musicals.

atleast with Jigglypuff you could technically go with either of its evolutions, you wouldn't really have any differences in length with the movesets.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Roy could work as a model swap for Marth despite Roy being quite different from Marth. I'm only suggesting it because I don't think Roy should get in over Marth, Ike, Krom or a female character/axe or spear wielder, and yet he's loved by fans of both FE and Smash and should be in the game in some form.

You do know Pichu is smaller than Pikachu right?

And again, model swapping =/= alt costumes. I mean, take a look at Amaterasu's Jon Talbain costume.

Murrah

Banned
I like the idea of alternate costumes, but I don't know how much of a priority it should be if they'd end up making stuff up just to have alts. Stuff like Dr. Mario, light suit Samus, Dry Bowser and Galacta Knight are great, but there are just some characters that don't have nearly as much history to work with. Then again I think that post somewhere up there about using more balloon fight stuff for an Ice Climbers alt is really clever, so maybe it could be done

Custom colors are something I can definitely get behind though. I'm actually really surprised it wasn't in Brawl what with how much Sakurai loves customization options

Gartooth

I would love for alternate costumes as I really digged how Wario got both his classic and WarioWare costumes in Brawl. Some characters would present a challenge, but I'm sure if they wanted to they could give a character a costume to make them represent another. (Pikachu doesn't have any costumes to choose from, so give him a Raichu or Pichu alternate for instance)

Off the top of my head, they could do classic Pit, arcade DK, Dr. Mario, Dry Bowser, Daisy for Peach, Louie for Olimar, and then there are series like Star Fox and Zelda where the characters have new designs for each new game.

I finally found the Smash Bros Thread!

I agree some characters are a lot harder than others to think of costumes, Mario has all his suits ( Frog suit would be amazing), but for Pikachu the evolutions don't really work due to Pichu's height and Raichu being so fat. The Gender difference tail could be put in, though it's not that noticeable.

I quite liked the hats etc that it and Jigglypuff wore, I think it would be grand if that's all they got, assuming Jiggly is still in that is.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would love for alternate costumes as I really digged how Wario got both his classic and WarioWare costumes in Brawl. Some characters would present a challenge, but I'm sure if they wanted to they could give a character a costume to make them represent another. (Pikachu doesn't have any costumes to choose from, so give him a Raichu or Pichu alternate for instance)

Off the top of my head, they could do classic Pit, arcade DK, Dr. Mario, Dry Bowser, Daisy for Peach, Louie for Olimar, and then there are series like Star Fox and Zelda where the characters have new designs for each new game.

Pit - Classic Pit
Mario - Dr. Mario
Luigi - Mr. L
Bowser - Dry Bowser
Peach - Daisy
Wario - WarioWare Wario
Yoshi - Boshi
Donkey Kong - Classic "Arcade" Donkey Kong
Marth - Roy (I would predict that many people would rage over this)
Cap. Falcon - Blood Falcon
Kirby - Yarn Kirby
Metaknight - Galacta Knight
King Dedede - Yawn Dedede

For other possibility characters;
Isaac - Older Isaac
Little Mac - Little Mac (Blonde)

Triton55

Little Mac's alt costume should be his pink jogging suit. Actually there are a lot of potential costumes for Mac that could be taken from the other boxers: Hippo's crown, Honda's headband, maybe even Doc Louis's clothes.

Murrah

Banned
Luigi - Mr. L
Yoshi - Boshi

These two are so perfect that I know I'm going to end up disappointed when they don't make it into the game

Little Mac's alt costume should be his pink jogging suit. Actually there are a lot of potential costumes for Mac that could be taken from the other boxers: Hippo's crown, Honda's headband, maybe even Doc Louis's clothes.

If Little Mac's playable it would definitely have to be the pink jogging suit, no question, so long as his Giga Mac final smash is also wearing it

Regginald

Banned
So since Namco is co-developing this game, I hope they put in characters like Klonoa, but I guess Pac-Man is the most logical choice. And I hope Snake is out because he never really belonged in Smash.

Drago

So since Namco is co-developing this game, I hope they put in characters like Klonoa, but I guess Pac-Man is the most logical choice. And I hope Snake is out because he never really belonged in Smash.

Yeah, just Pac Man would be fine. Their most iconic character who is not a stranger to Nintendo platforms. I would hope it ends there... I don't want the game to be filled with Namco characters

And why take Snake out? He was pretty fun to play as I thought, and him being in the game was always funny to me. He probably is out though. :/

Regginald

Banned
I just think Snake and Nintendo go together like razor blades and jelly. He belongs in that Smash knockoff, honestly. I really dislike his games too, but side issue. He only got in because Sakurai was friends with Kojima.

Klonoa could use some exposure, but I doubt even Namco cares.

Drago

I just think Snake and Nintendo go together like razor blades and jelly. He belongs in that Smash knockoff, honestly. I really dislike his games too, but side issue. He only got in because Sakurai was friends with Kojima.

Klonoa could use some exposure, but I doubt even Namco cares.

I hope Snake gets into the Playstation All Stars game, actually. He'd be a perfect fit there. I wonder if they would create an all new moveset for him...

And Klonoa would never get in. I would be extremely surprised if he did. Speaking of which, I really need to play Klonoa :p Is the Wii one any good?

Triton55

I want Sonic and Snake to stay in. Even though both of them are associated more with (former) rival consoles than their own, they're still unique and iconic characters. And I think the Namco partnership won't change the fact that 3rd party characters will still be few and iconic, this isn't Nintendo vs. Namco. Pac-Man is an obvious choice.

Another idea I have is a Siegfried/Nightmare character to represent the main struggle behind the SoulCalibur series. Siegfried could be an alternate costume for Nightmare just like in SoulCalibur II, the only main game on a Nintendo console. They could also be connected via Final Smashes similar to Zero Suit Samus; Siegfried attains the Soul Edge, performs some super attack, and transforms into Nightmare who has the same moveset but different stats. Then Nightmare's final smash would be similar to Zero Suit Samus's I guess. I'm not super familiar with SoulCalibur so maybe there are some flaws with this idea, but I think this would be a good choice for a second Namco character.

Drago

The only 3rd party characters left that are iconic enough and related to Nintendo that I'd like to see in is Mega Man and Pac-Man. maaaybe Rayman, as Nintendo and Ubisoft share a very tight relationship and Rayman would probably be the best fit for the game out of Ubisofts lineup.

Sonic should definitely stay but I don't care much for Snake. I would prefer he stayed too, though. Wonder if an appearance in PS All Stars would affect him coming back....

GamerSoul

I've never heard of those guys...

That would be pretty awesome. Man, Lil Mac HAS to be playable. I keep picturing him being played like a mix of Dudley and Balrog. lol. Cross counter and all.

I think atleast we should get one more classic 3rd party character like Megaman and one complete surprise 3rd party character that hardly anyone would have guessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom