• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that now Luigi uses the Poltergust on some of his moves now that Luigi's Mansion has become a bigger franchise. Alternate costumes for characters is another one on my wishlist.

Gartooth

Mother Brain was in the background of Melee's Brinstar. No jar or anything, just kinda floating there and jiggling around. It makes no damn sense if you've ever actually played a Metroid game. But she hasn't been completely neglected.

There are so many other good Metroid locations, I really hope we don't get another Zebes level. Have an SR388 or BSL level for classic 2D Metroid, and there are a ton of possibilities for a Prime level. Phendrana, Sanctuary Fortress, Skytown, Pirate Homeworld, Phaaze...

If I had to choose, I'd do ARC from Fusion for one level with Nightmare occasionally appearing as a hazard, and either Sanctuary Fortress or Skytown for the Prime level. I think I'd lean towards Sanctuary Fortess, because the dark world could be an interesting stage hazard.

The one exception I'd make for Zebes to return is the Crateria landing site from Super, just because that's pretty classic and would look awesome in HD.

I think that was more of a reference to her and wasn't an actual cameo like say King Dedede and Ridley in Smash 64. (the brain has spots instead of spikes, lacks the ridges of her brain, no eye on the brain either)

But yeah more Metroid Prime stages are a must. (The whole light/dark world dynamic sounds awesome, maybe in the course of a match the level will change to the Dark World and health percentages will rise unless the players get in the light areas)

Drago

There's a poll going on right about who you'd like to see in Smash Bros. I went with Little Mac.

http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-quarterfinals/

Now N is winning? Why?

I could only see him working as a Pokemon Trainer replacement, with him having several different diverse Pokemon at his disposal (5 Pokemon, 1 for each gen), sorta similar to how he always uses a different, diverse team every time you battle him in Black/White. Even so, that's not really true to his character of replacing Pokemon constantly, and 5 new Pokemon could be a daunting task, helping to take time away from other, more deserving characters.

It's a stupid choice.

Murrah

Banned
Now N is winning? Why?

I could only see him working as a Pokemon Trainer replacement, with him having several different diverse Pokemon at his disposal (5 Pokemon, 1 for each gen), sorta similar to how he always uses a different, diverse team every time you battle him in Black/White. Even so, that's not really true to his character of replacing Pokemon constantly, and 5 new Pokemon could be a daunting task, helping to take time away from other, more deserving characters.

It's a stupid choice.

The popular fan idea I've seen is actually have N be player controlled and his attacks make pokemon appear. Which I think is actually a pretty clever way of making him playable in Smash as well as solving the gen 5 rep problem, but yeah, as big a fan of pokemon as I am I can't say he's near the top of my most wanted list. Not that any of the other characters on that list are much better outside of the obvious ones like Little Mac and Palutena

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The popular fan idea I've seen is actually have N be player controlled and his attacks make pokemon appear. Which I think is actually a pretty clever way of making him playable in Smash as well as solving the gen 5 rep problem, but yeah, as big a fan of pokemon as I am I can't say he's near the top of my most wanted list. Not that any of the other characters on that list are much better outside of the obvious ones like Little Mac and Palutena

This.

N should be playable character whose attacks involve releasing Pokemon in front of him (hey, I suggested this idea before :D). Like say, his side smash would be sicking a Herdier or something.

I voted Sami, Professor Layton and Dillon though I realize my opinions are worthless, as is the poll.

Advance Wars really deserves a character ( and a 3DS sequel to Dual Strike at that), whether Sami should be that character or not, I don't know, I guess she could have Snake's moveset, I can't see her using her gun though.

N should just have a Zorua that follows him around and isn't directly attackable. When he attacks it turns into another Pokemon and uses an attack. I guess that isn't totally accurate though since Zorua just creates illusions...

Gartooth

I'm sure Sakurai is well aware of what characters people want in the game, a poll isn't going to do much to influence his decisions.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
N should just have a Zorua that follows him around and isn't directly attackable. When he attacks it turns into another Pokemon and uses an attack. I guess that isn't totally accurate though since Zorua just creates illusions...

I actually thought of this too, with N's normal attacks all being Zorua transforming into Pokemon he "owns" in Black and White, while his Specials are the final forms of the Unova Starters and Sigilyph as his Up-B "flying" recovery move.

Murrah

Banned
I'm sure Sakurai is well aware of what characters people want in the game, a poll isn't going to do much to influence his decisions.

He probably has a fairly accurate finger on the pulse of what Japanese fans want but not the rest of the world, which is what this poll is for. Remember that Nintendo Power interview where he seemed genuinely surprised people wanted Ridley playable? Not that it'll actually influence him obviously, but whatever

Gartooth

He probably has a fairly accurate finger on the pulse of what Japanese fans want but not the rest of the world, which is what this poll is for. Remember that Nintendo Power interview where he seemed genuinely surprised people wanted Ridley playable? Not that it'll actually influence him obviously, but whatever

Hmm, I was just assuming because he knew that western fans in particular really wanted Sonic in the game, and managed to get him in.

GamerSoul

We'll have our own poll one day...one day. I don''t see syrup on that poll so i guess she didnt make it. I'll probably vote for lil mac

I didn't see anyone on that poll that I wanted, so I just voted for Ridley.

Also, the newest thread for Smash WiiU certainly turned into a shitfest in record time.

Murrah

Banned
Hmm, I was just assuming because he knew that western fans in particular really wanted Sonic in the game, and managed to get him in.

I'm probably entirely wrong but I'm on my phone so it's too hard to check, but I could swear Sonic ranked pretty high in the Japanese polling. Though the fact that Sonic wasn't added until the last minute always suggested some kind of weird corporate shenanigans to me, most likely involving Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

Of course, I'm basing all of this mostly on Metroid and Donkey Kong's poor representation throughout the series as well as other western oriented omissions like the lack of love for Punch-Out and no Startropics anything

Gartooth

I'm probably entirely wrong but I'm on my phone so it's too hard to check, but I could swear Sonic ranked pretty high in the Japanese polling. Though the fact that Sonic wasn't added until the last minute always suggested some kind of weird corporate shenanigans to me, most likely involving Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

Of course, I'm basing all of this mostly on Metroid and Donkey Kong's poor representation throughout the series as well as other western oriented omissions like the lack of love for Punch-Out and no Startropics anything

This is from an old Nintendo Power interview with Sakurai. (the same one about asking Ridley being in Smash, and Sakurai laughing about it)

Nintendo Power: We're just glad he made it into the Subspace Emissary. You've talked previously about how Solid Snake ended up in the game, but how about Sonic? How did his inclusion come about?

Sakurai: At the time we announced Snake, we actually put together a survey for our users, asking which characters they would like to see in the game. And a huge amount of people said Sonic, especially in the United States. So in order to satisfy our fans, I thought it was a good idea to try to include Sonic. But that was the thing that put the whole process in motion.

Of course I'm sure Japanese fan demand did play a part in getting Sonic in the game. (but yeah Metroid and DK always getting snubbed in Smash gets on my nerves. Wasn't too bad in Brawl because we got ZSS, Diddy, and a Prime stage)

Gartooth

People are gonna be soooo disappointed in who's not getting in.

Yeah, that Sakurai quote about wanting to take Smash in a new direction rather than improving via new characters/stages has me interested to say the least. I still think we are getting some new characters but I don't think it will be as substantial as say Melee -> Brawl was. (or even 64 -> Melee)

qq more

Yeah, that Sakurai quote about wanting to take Smash in a new direction rather than improving via new characters/stages has me interested to say the least. I still think we are getting some new characters but I don't think it will be as substantial as say Melee -> Brawl was. (or even 64 -> Melee)

I can see a 45 to 50-character roster at this point. But yeah, who knows.

But lol at the people expecting a bunch of Namco characters in that thread.

Gartooth

I can see a 45 to 50-character roster at this point. But yeah, who knows.

But lol at the people expecting a bunch of Namco characters in that thread.

Yeah, people have this Namco-Bandai partnership deal way overblown. I think it is reasonable for Namco to maybe have a 3rd party character in the game due to their involvement (probably Pac-Man) but not to the extent that the game becomes Nintendo vs. Namco.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe Sakurai said in the past that the decision to put Snake in Brawl was controversial amongst his staff, because of the philosophy that Smash Bros. is a game about Nintendo's history first and foremost.

Murrah

Banned
This is from an old Nintendo Power interview with Sakurai. (the same one about asking Ridley being in Smash, and Sakurai laughing about it)

Of course I'm sure Japanese fan demand did play a part in getting Sonic in the game. (but yeah Metroid and DK always getting snubbed in Smash gets on my nerves. Wasn't too bad in Brawl because we got ZSS, Diddy, and a Prime stage)

Huh, that's interesting, thanks for posting that, I didn't remember it. It's nice that Sonic was especially considered for the west, but Smash definitely skews more towards Japan's gaming interests, so the poll can't hurt. Even though it won't do anything

Was that the Tekken thread?

Eh mostly people who comment on it don't read much.
Yeah seriously. Not to mention most of them don't seem to realize Brawl (and Uprising too if I remember right) were also heavily outsourced projects, just to smaller-name companies compared to Namco.

qq more

Yeah seriously. Not to mention most of them don't seem to realize Brawl (and Uprising too if I remember right) were also heavily outsourced projects, just to smaller-name companies compared to Namco.

Ugh, yeah. The thread is full of ignorance and extremely high expectations.

...I mean really... 3-4 Namco characters? Did people forget what happened during the Brawl hype?

Boney

Banned
Ugh, yeah. The thread is full of ignorance and extremely high expectations.

...I mean really... 3-4 Namco characters? Did people forget what happened during the Brawl hype?

I bet you just want Sonic so you can focus only on it and masturbate

GamerSoul

If you could add 2-4 female characters to the sausage feast that is Smash, who would you choose to add ?

I'd choose.
Captain Syrup
Palutena
Sami
Lyn

Drago

Palutena
Capt. Syrup
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Dixie Kong
Female FE rep
Female WarioWare rep

I'd be really happy with those (I know you only said 4 :p)

Speaking of Drill Dozer I should really get around to playing it one of these days, I hear new copies are dirt cheap.
EDIT: WOW they are. $12 total on Amazon for a new and sealed copy... o_o

Palutena
Kat and Ana
Lyn
Dixie Kong
Captain Syrup

With Palutena being what I think would be the most likely, and Captain Syrup being the least likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom