• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Man

Banned
Senator Soufflé;40178256 said:
Having never played Majora's Mask, can someone explain why he's so popular?

He isn't that popular.

I think Super Smash Brothers needs some more, decent, large characters, K. Rool, or Ridley.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
When they decided to go back to Melee. But then some of them went and made Project M, so that nullified things.

Nah those people still have problems. See: let's try to make clone characters who have become unique characters into clone characters once more. It's less "Brawl with Melee physics and stuff" but more "Melee with Brawl stuff".

Murrah

Banned
Where's Funky Kong on that top 8 poll. And two Zelda one offs, one of which is leading? People are the worst. At least Sakurai will give no shits about what these people want

Murrah

Banned
lol, fucking Skull Kid. Give it a rest, Zelda fans. I like MM as much as the next guy but c'mon.

I seriously don't understand. Why this sudden demand for Skull Kid, unless I somehow missed it a few years ago for Brawl. Majora's Mask is great but I'd take third rate Mario or Pokemon character over Skull Kid

GamerSoul

Lol that poll is so random. This is why they dont really listen to us. There's no consistency in what players want so its hard to know for sure.

Sure Vaati appeared in more than one game in the series, but most of them nobody seemed to care about.
But if he were to get in, which he won't, I'd prefer if he was in his Four Swords incarnation.
QhLB5.gif

That way, he'd be far more interesting as a character.

Anth0ny

I seriously don't understand. Why this sudden demand for Skull Kid, unless I somehow missed it a few years ago for Brawl. Majora's Mask is great but I'd take third rate Mario or Pokemon character over Skull Kid

Well at this point Nintendo would be scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to characters in Smash 4.

So why not throw in the best Zelda villain of all time
as cross-promotion for Majora's Mask 3D

Murrah

Banned
Well at this point Nintendo would be scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to characters in Smash 4.

So why not throw in the best Zelda villain of all time
as cross-promotion for Majora's Mask 3D

I dunno. I don't wanna start pointless list wars but I think there's a good 10 or so Nintendo characters left that would make sense that I wouldn't consider to be scraping the bottom of the barrel. Add in a couple third party characters to that and I'm fully satisfied without having to start digging up stuff like Skull Kid. Only real reason I see to add Skull Kid is because Smash needs more villains, but Ganondorf's already in for the Zelda series anyway. If there is a MM3D to promote, Mask Link that switches between deku scrub, goron and zora makes more sense, has way more potential to me and would fill Sakurai's switching character quota

Alllll that being said, Skull Kid's design is pretty cool and I love Majora's Mask so I wouldn't mind him being playable. I just think it's dumb that he's winning that poll

Alfalfa

Neo Member
With all the idiotic votes in the semifinals it's a miracle Ridley managed to get into the final round. Did everyone simultaneously forget that his playable appearance is way more overdue than fucking Skull Kid's?

Likely because ZI and maybe some other Zelda Fan Sites got wind of this poll and told their viewers about it. And LoZ fans, being the most bat-shit crazy group of fans outside the Sonic fan base, naturally jumped on it. AFTER the Pokemon Part of 4chan got wind of this useless poll and got Dunsparce High on the list and high on the poll ZI fond out and provoked their Bat-shit crazy members to spam the poll.

And MM is kinda the hipster LoZ game ... it's the worse selling console 3D LoZ game but somehow everyone loves the crap out of it on the internet. :/

It's cause gamers are stuck in the 90s forever and ever (and yes, I know, MM was released in 2000, but gameplay-wise it's just OoT with new dungeons).

GamerSoul

Mask of Majora is a good game but I think the Zelda series is already well represented. The other characters could possibly become ATs. Impa may be the one other important recurring that could get a spot. Ghirahim maybe, because Skyward Sword's timing may allow Sakurai to use those SS models because that maybe the last Zelda game to be released before Smash4 is released.

Jader7777

Banned
No doubt Geno and Skull Kid will be usurped by none other than...

Legacy_of_the_Wizard_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

Lyll from Legacy Of The Wizard! Remember Faxanadu? Now it's back! Sorta!

Next up, Smash Bros 4 secret unlockable:

bV1ofoXeMnztddndYiTwh820o1_500.png

It's Alf! Remember Alf?! He's back in pog form! Remember Pogs?!

I'm guessing you didn't play it or maybe you were thinking of some other game.

So you didn't play it.

I played it. I didn't play THROUGH it, but I played it. Its gameplay felt exactly the same as OoT, save for a few improvements (maybe, it has been a while). Hell it even had the same fucking HUD for crying out loud. You can't tell me that Majora's Mask is a completely different game from OoT, because it plays exactly the fucking same. That's what I'm talking about - GAMEPLAY. Gameplay is NOT STORY/SETTING. God fucking damnit.

No doubt Geno and Skull Kid will be usurped by none other than...

You know, honestly, I would love a Legacy of the Wizard character.
Fuck it, I'd prefer a playable ?-Block over fucking Geno. That character needs to die. The hype for that game needs to die. It's not a good game, it has not aged well, it is not a master piece of story telling.

Also, yes, I'm cranky in this post, but that's cause I can't sleep thanks to my fucking gastritis.

I played it. I didn't play THROUGH it, but I played it. Its gameplay felt exactly the same as OoT, save for a few improvements (maybe, it has been a while). Hell it even had the same fucking HUD for crying out loud. You can't tell me that Majora's Mask is a completely different game from OoT, because it plays exactly the fucking same. That's what I'm talking about - GAMEPLAY. Gameplay is NOT STORY/SETTING. God fucking damnit.

They are two completely different games. If you played through MM, you would know this.

They are two completely different games. If you played through MM, you would know this.

AFGHAFSHGAFISDG

Stop putting fucking words in my mouth. You're making yourself look like a douchebag. Seriously.

I said: GAMEPLAY IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS OCARINA. NOT THE STORY AND SETTING. GAMEPLAY.

G
A
M
E
P
L
A
Y

It uses the same graphics, sounds, controls, HUD, font, inventory, C-button shortcuts for items, auto-lock on system, camera. These are all GAMEPLAY ASPECTS. GAMEPLAY. GAAAAAMEPLAY. Do you understand what I am trying to say? That I am talking about GAMEPLAY?!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I will never play any Zelda game that isn't topdown after being bored by Ocarina of Time.

Though I heard Windwaker is unique.

Yeah, and that's what I was referring to. The HUD is pretty much where the similarities end.

And you're doing a much better job of "looking like a cunt" than I am.

DjRoomba

Banned
Likely because ZI and maybe some other Zelda Fan Sites got wind of this poll and told their viewers about it. And LoZ fans, being the most bat-shit crazy group of fans outside the Sonic fan base, naturally jumped on it. AFTER the Pokemon Part of 4chan got wind of this useless poll and got Dunsparce High on the list and high on the poll ZI fond out and provoked their Bat-shit crazy members to spam the poll.

And MM is kinda the hipster LoZ game ... it's the worse selling console 3D LoZ game but somehow everyone loves the crap out of it on the internet. :/

Worst selling, but most critically respected. This is hardly uncommon. Also I think alot of people like it better in retrospect cos its aged very well and hell of alot better than Ocarina has. And its not like it flopped or anything. Wiki says 3 mill which was smash success for N64.

Yeah, and that's what I was referring to. The HUD is pretty much where the similarities end.

And you're doing a much better job of "looking like a cunt" than I am.

I am literally bashing my head against the desk right now.

Okay, watch these 2 fucking videos.
Here's the first boss fight in OoT
Here's the first boss fight in MM

You cannot tell me that Majora's Mask is a completely different game. You are saying Modern Warfare 3 is a completely different game in comparison to Modern Warfare 2 here. Or UMvC3 is a completely different game than MvC3.

This is almost identical gameplay. If I would've said "Link to the Past plays like Majora's Mask", I could completely understand your point, but the differences between MM and OoT are subtle at most. As said - there have been improvements to the system, but it still is the same fucking system.

Jader7777

Banned
Who is that?

dillons-rolling-western.jpg

A 3DS download game that is a really interesting twist on the tower defense genre.

It uses the same graphics, sounds, controls, HUD, font, inventory, C-button shortcuts for items, auto-lock on system, camera. These are all GAMEPLAY ASPECTS. GAMEPLAY. GAAAAAMEPLAY. Do you understand what I am trying to say? That I am talking about GAMEPLAY?!

What the devil, a Zelda game plays... like a Zelda game!? Scandalous!

*Throws everything made after OoT out the window*

I am literally bashing my head against the desk right now.

Okay, watch these 2 fucking videos.
Here's the first boss fight in OoT
Here's the first boss fight in MM

You cannot tell me that Majora's Mask is a completely different game. You are saying Modern Warfare 3 is a completely different game in comparison to Modern Warfare 2 here. Or UMvC3 is a completely different game than MvC3.

This is almost identical gameplay. If I would've said "Link to the Past plays like Majora's Mask", I could completely understand your point, but the differences between MM and OoT are subtle at most. As said - there have been improvements to the system, but it still is the same fucking system.

I can and will say that MM is different from Ocarina. I've never played the Modern Warfare games, so I can't speak for them. And yes, Ultimate 3 is wildly different from Vanilla. You of all people should know that.

Just because Link hacks and slashes bosses in both games doesn't make them the same. They both play differently because that's how they were designed, gameplay included. Just because they use the same engine doesn't make them the same game. It's why people either love MM or hate it; all the time you hear people say "I loved/hated MM because of how different it was from Ocarina." You rarely hear people bash/praise MM because it plays just like Ocarina, because it simply isn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom