• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the devil, a Zelda game plays... like a Zelda game!? Scandalous!

*Throws everything made after OoT out the window*

The engine is identical save for very few things. When I played MM, it felt exactly the same as OoT. If you can't see that point I'm trying to make here, then you might be deluding yourself in your nostalgia. Because it's pretty damn obvious that the engine, and thus 90% or more of the gameplay are the same as that in OoT.

I haven't played any of the Zelda games following MM (which I didn't play that much either), so I can't judge them, but if they really use exactly the same engine as OoT did, then wow, Nintendo got even more stale with Zelda than they did with fucking Mario.

That said, since I played through every game prior to MM, my favorite Zelda has always been Link's Awakening, and I still felt that the CD-i Zelda games were more fun than Ocarina, but of course I'm an uneducated oaf, and I'm not a big fan of the 3D transition that OoT made (which is why I hated MM because it played pretty much exactly the same), so who am I to talk.

You're lucky we're in community because I just spotted the naughty word.

There, edited. I did not know that was considered a "naughty word", but I was so aggravated at those 2 putting words in my mouth.

Also screw people not wanting Dillon - it ain't scrapping the barrel until he becomes playable.

Dillon is cool. As soon as Ridley is in, he'd be welcomed by me.

I can and will say that MM is different from Ocarina.

Yes, it is, which I never denied. I said it plays like OoT, which it does.

And yes, Ultimate 3 is wildly different from Vanilla. You of all people should know that.

It's different, but it is not a completely different gameplay as you are claiming it is. It's still fucking Marvel 3, it just changes a bit around on the existing stuff and adds a couple of new things, but it still is the same game.

Just because Link hacks and slashes bosses in both games doesn't make them the same.

I never claimed that - you hack and slash bosses in every Zelda game, but in the top-down and sidescrolling Zeldas, the hack-n-slash is executed differently. MM has exactly the same system with exactly the same display and HUD, and even the same sound effects for the auto targeting, Link's grunting, the sword slashes, EVERYTHING. They just copypasted OoT's engine and improved a little on it.

They both play differently because that's how they were designed, gameplay included.

I played through OoT and through about a third of MM. They are not playing differently at all. Yes, the setting and story are different. Yes, MM has the moon/time travel stuff going on, but that never felt as much as departing so much from OoT's gameplay to call it a "completely different game". It isn't. That is my entire point.

Just because they use the same engine doesn't make them the same game.

Again, I never said they are the SAME GAME. I said that gameplay-wise, they are identical. Which they pretty much are. You say in this very quote that they use the same engine. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The engine is still the same. The tweaks are minor. The game play of Majora's Mask is Ultimate Ocarina of Time - the game is still Ocarina of Time, but it has some tweaks and a bit of new stuff added. That's all I am trying to say.

It's why people either love MM or hate it; all the time you hear people say "I loved/hated MM because of how different it was from Ocarina."

When I was reading up on the story-wise background, I actually found a lot of the stuff and details they put into MM to be really awesome. But I just couldn't get myself to grind through a game engine I did not enjoy to play in to experience the entirety of the story and setting of MM. But going from what I read and saw, I would've enjoyed the game more than Ocarina. I just really REALLY can't get behind the engine.

Well, enjoyed it except for Skullkid. Fuck Skullkid.

You rarely hear people bash/praise MM because it plays just like Ocarina, because it simply isn't true.

Shrug.
I'm generally a rare breed when it comes to video games. I actually played and enjoyed the CD-i Zelda games and Hotel Mario, unlike 99% of people who bash the CD-i because they are just bandwagoning on whatever James Rolfe says.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
There, edited. I did not know that was considered a "naughty word", but I was so aggravated at those 2 putting words in my mouth.

It's a very recent rule and people can be easily caught out. Seen a few already banned for it. Just thought it was fair to give a warning before it was too late.

Oh and I was mocking the CDi games long before it was popular since I actually looked into Zelda games when I first got the web. Also having the same engine means nothing when it comes to games. For one OoT runs off of a modified Mario 64 engine and I'm sure you'd agree they don't play a like.

...Seriously?

That was supposed to be a bit of a joke, but yes, several times I have gotten the explanation that the CD-i sucks because the AVGN reviewed it and said it's bad.

Most of the time it looks like this: Whenever someone bashes the CD-i, I ask them if they ever played games on it. So far, I've encountered only 2 people who answered that question with a "Yes". All those No-people I asked why they bashed the CD-i, and most of them said "because of the dumb cutscenes".

Though, taking into consideration that the developers of those infamous games were on an incredibly tight budget and minimal development time and had to do it with a terrible controller for a subpar console, I think that the Mario and Zelda games are actually decent. Also, the cutscene cheese is awesome.

I used to have a CD-i back in the day. I had it even worse cause I had the German dubs for Hotel Mario and the 2 sidescroller Zelda games (I never had the third one that was top-down, so I can't talk about that one - I only had Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil).
My father sold it because I never really played on it. After finding out more about it many years later, I was very mad.

It's a very recent rule and people can be easily caught out. Seen a few already banned for it. Just thought it was fair to give a warning before it was too late.

Thanks for the heads up then.

Also having the same engine means nothing when it comes to games. For one OoT runs off of a modified Mario 64 engine and I'm sure you'd agree they don't play a like.

Come on, man. Not you too. You're not saying that OoT and MM are nothing alike as well, right? Please, dude, don't let my faith in you crumble here.

The cd-i Zeldas were hated and were infamous long before James Rolfe touched them.

They were infamous and bashed, but Rolfe made it the cool thing to do and introduced them to a much much wider audience. Before they were just run over on back then obscure Zelda/Mario fansites.

That was supposed to be a bit of a joke, but yes, several times I have gotten the explanation that the CD-i sucks because the AVGN reviewed it and said it's bad.

Most of the time it looks like this: Whenever someone bashes the CD-i, I ask them if they ever played games on it. So far, I've encountered only 2 people who answered that question with a "Yes". All those No-people I asked why they bashed the CD-i, and most of them said "because of the dumb cutscenes".

Though, taking into consideration that the developers of those infamous games were on an incredibly tight budget and minimal development time and had to do it with a terrible controller for a subpar console, I think that the Mario and Zelda games are actually decent. Also, the cutscene cheese is awesome.

I used to have a CD-i back in the day. I had it even worse cause I had the German dubs for Hotel Mario and the 2 sidescroller Zelda games (I never had the third one that was top-down, so I can't talk about that one - I only had Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil).
My father sold it because I never really played on it. After finding out more about it many years later, I was very mad.

I've played the CD-i before, specifically the two Zelda games, Hotel Mario, and The Wacky World Of Miniature Golf with Eugene Levy. I didn't really like any of them.

GamerSoul

Also screw people not wanting Dillon - it ain't scrapping the barrel until he becomes playable.

He's a probably a prime choice...
for an AT

Imo, Zelda games are getting a bit stale but MM is a very different game compared to OoT. The fact that you can change races alone allowed for different gameplay mechanics.

SmithnCo

I've played the CD-i before, specifically the two Zelda games, Hotel Mario, and The Wacky World Of Miniature Golf with Eugene Levy. I didn't really like any of them.

They are absolutely terrible. Especially the Zeldas. Wonky movement and most of the time it's hard to tell where you are supposed to jump. And the combat is terrible too. They deserve all the hate they get.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Come on, man. Not you too. You're not saying that OoT and MM are nothing alike as well, right? Please, dude, don't let my faith in you crumble here.

I'm just saying you can't really judge the other three 3D Zelda based on the fact Nintendo has used the same modified engine.

Boney

Banned
dillon is pretty cool, too bad he's in bleagh game though

and that somebody can't understand how MM and OOT are so radically different is pretty insane.

Anth0ny

Majora's Mask shares the same engine as OOT, but it plays radically different. Easily the most unique Zelda gameplay wise.

Then the fanboys whined because they wanted OOT 2 so we got Twilight Princess.

Drago

I've had Majora's Mask sitting on my Wii for 2 years now and I still haven't played it yet.

At this point, I'm just waiting for the inevitable 3D version. I can wait

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well if the main EAD team focus on Zelda 3DS and Grezzo ports MM I suppose it could work. I'd hate for the 3DS to only receive two Zelda ports over its lifetime.

They are absolutely terrible. Especially the Zeldas. Wonky movement and most of the time it's hard to tell where you are supposed to jump. And the combat is terrible too. They deserve all the hate they get.

It's not the games' fault they are on a shitty console. It was mostly the unresponsive and clunky controller that makes it hard to play them. I definitely give you that it's hard to distinguish obstacles from background, though. I'm not saying the games were great, and I'm not even saying they were good, cause they weren't, but they were not as terrible as people make them out to be.

Ok I come in this thread randomly and someone like zelda cdi more than mm. Okaaaayyy...weirdos.

Have you ever heard of this thing called "taste"? Yeah?
Yes, I didn't enjoy Majora's Mask (or Ocarina of Time for that matter). There are actually people who don't like these games! What an outrage! :O

Anth0ny

Well if the main EAD team focus on Zelda 3DS and Grezzo ports MM I suppose it could work. I'd hate for the 3DS to only receive two Zelda ports over its lifetime.

Well technically it has zelda 1, 2, LADX and 4 Swords as well. I'd rather they port Wind Waker to Wii U.

If Ridley is in this game, he should be given the screechy Joisey "Jewish mother-in-law" voice slowbeef and Diabetus give him in their Metroid Prime LPs and Retsupuraes, for no reason whatsoever. It would be hilarious.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

SmithnCo

If Ridley is in this game, he should be given the screechy Joisey "Jewish mother-in-law" voice slowbeef and Diabetus give him in their Metroid Prime LPs and Retsupuraes, for no reason whatsoever. It would be hilarious.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Haha, I love that.

HIYA SAMUS

qq more

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This is the best idea.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On a related note apparently that "special poll" is actually selective. i.e. Dunsparce and Waluigi were kicked out because they were "botted" but the same thing happened to Skull Kid yet it's "fine".

Murrah

Banned
Whole poll was pointless in the first place. Sucks too since I actually would like to see a legit most wanted characters poll just to get a feel for what other Smash fans outside Japan want. Aside from the endless moaning for Ridley natch

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
i wonder how a skyward sword shiek would look.

Same here, but I think i can get the idea. Her gears might be similar to Impa's. This thread went very depressed era right now, and I am begging for new rumors or news so we can discuss about it. Rather than those silly unofficial polls.

GamerSoul

Waluigi has a far better chance than Skull Kid.

I think Waluigi is a waste of memory space and lines of code and I agree with you.

i wonder how a skyward sword shiek would look.

Pretty badass if she is anything close to Impa in design. If we get an all new Zelda, Impa could just replace Sheik, but I'd like both in if they could.

Same here, but I think i can get the idea. Her gears might be similar to Impa's. This thread went very depressed era right now, and I am begging for new rumors or news so we can discuss about it. Rather than those silly unofficial polls.

Yep, very depressed era.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I just realized that Rhythm Heaven will definitely get some shout in the next Smash (whether be a stage, music, an assist trophy, or hell, a character). I mean, in Brawl they only have 1 game (the GBA one). Right now they have 3, and Nintendo seems to be pushing them, since they have stuff like themes in 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom