• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boney

Banned
Mario RPG holds great wtf. It's not the best Mario RPG no, but it's pretty darn good.

It's sad that all the Geno begging over the last years has created a self defense mechanism and now SMRPG is a bad game.

Obviously I'm not talking about ookami cause he likes hating anything good because it's popular. it's like a resentful hipster

I still enjoyed it but when I see people say that they need SMRPG2 because none of the other Mario RPG games have been as good I want to give them a jolly good clout to the back of their crazy heads.

Boney

Banned
I still enjoyed it but when I see people say that they need SMRPG2 because none of the other Mario RPG games have been as good I want to give them a jolly good clout to the back of their crazy heads.

Yeah definately

I played SMRPG before the Geno begging and did not enjoy it the least bit.

Well I don't know what to tell you. Game has a fantastic battle system, unique characters tailored to specific needs, tons of humor and wonderful characterizations, the best platforming from the RPG series, great campaign with great locales and good sidequests as well.

I guess you don't need to like it but the game is wonderfully constructed and there's not denying that.

Again, I probably just had a bad experience because everyone hyped it up all over the place before I got to play it, and I just was completely underwhelmed because my expectations were high.

If you like the game, more power to you, but I'm really getting tired of the Geno begging.

Yeah definately

Well I don't know what to tell you. Game has a fantastic battle system, unique characters tailored to specific needs, tons of humor and wonderful characterizations, the best platforming from the RPG series, great campaign with great locales and good sidequests as well.

I guess you don't need to like it but the game is wonderfully constructed and there's not denying that.

It's a good game but...
Ha Ha Ha, no.

Boney

Banned
It's a good game but...
Ha Ha Ha, no.

I think it's the run button that really gives it the edge over any of the others. It's fun hopping around holes fast and not falling down and avoid enemies. The other 2 series use jumping more for traversal rather than the actual platforming.

Which one do you think does platforming better?

I think it's the run button that really gives it the edge over any of the others. It's fun hopping around holes fast and not falling down and avoid enemies. The other 2 series use jumping more for traversal rather than the actual platforming.

Which one do you think does platforming better?

All of them. The prerendered backgrounds in SMRPG suck for platforming.

PK Gaming

582596_427873580587766_209822413_n.jpg

Do it Sakurai.

Do it.

Geno's a kinda dumb inclusion but I'll keep repeating that his inclusion would both bring with it excellent music from SMRPG and discourage far more boring Mario newcomers like Toad, Bowser Jr. or Waluigi getting in.

Fawful, any Paper Mario partner or Rosalina would be fine though

Harmo Knight discussion?

Seeing as Jill from Drill Dozer got to be an AT from a single game, the same could happen to him right, just for being a Game Freak game? Whatever happens it looked fun.

I swear the 3rd of December back during Brawl hype time was notable for something Mega Man related but I can't remember why.

Capcom was celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the franchise.

They were going off on how they were going to announce some huge Nintendo-related news that day or something.

Capcom was celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the franchise.

They were going off on how they were going to announce some huge Nintendo-related news that day or something.

Ah that's the ticket, also I think Brawls original release date was going to be around then so people figured to make up for the delay there would be AMAZING NEWS on the day of Brawls original release date.
Instead it was FRIEND LIST!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
can anyone give me safe estimation when they actually started the ssb4 projects? I meant development of the games itself such as engines, characters, etc.

I am trying to figure out when did sakurai started to making the plans for SSB4.

can anyone give me safe estimation when they actually started the ssb4 projects? I meant development of the games itself such as engines, characters, etc.

I am trying to figure out when did sakurai started to making the plans for SSB4.

If I remember correctly uhh...

- Sakurai has said he started thinking about Smash4 even during Kid Kicarus development.

- Development didn't officially start until after Kid Icarus was released.

- Sakurai first had to create/gather a team before they could actually start working.

- The Namco Bandai working on Smash announcement is the closest we've had to a real "start" announcement, if any.

- I think Sakurai has also mentioned they're working with Brawl as a base, so a lot of the preliminary engine work is probably already there from the start.

I think it helps Sakurai was well aware of his own involvement when SSB4 was announced in 2011 as opposed to E3 2005, if only in an idea and brainstorming sense.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Iwata: I'd like to announce MGS Substance Collection for WiiU which will contain every MGS game to date with new features.

Kojima: I don't rike that.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If I remember correctly uhh...

- Sakurai has said he started thinking about Smash4 even during Kid Kicarus development.

- Development didn't officially start until after Kid Icarus was released.

- Sakurai first had to create/gather a team before they could actually start working.

- The Namco Bandai working on Smash announcement is the closest we've had to a real "start" announcement, if any.

- I think Sakurai has also mentioned they're working with Brawl as a base, so a lot of the preliminary engine work is probably already there from the start.

Alright, thanks. I remembered that Sakurai mentioned that they completed working prototype for SSB4.

Every time, I see the picture of this white board. My blood would boil up due to hypness of the art. The Arts reminded me of SSB64 arts.

SSB4_whiteboard.jpg

Ryce

Enough time has passed since the start of development for a teaser trailer. Doesn't Nintendo have their own conference later this month? Showing Smash Bros. before the Wii U's launch might help with sales a bit.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Enough time has passed since the start of development for a teaser trailer. Doesn't Nintendo have their own conference later this month? Showing Smash Bros. before the Wii U's launch might help with sales a bit.

Yeah, Nintendo Conference will happens on Sept 13, but I seriously doubt that we will see SSB4 trailers.

We are more likely to see trailers at E3 2013, or so.

E3 2013: June 11-13

About 9 months, so that sound like fun to wait for long time. (sarcasm)

I would certainly like a glimpse of what's on the horizon for the Wii U in general, honestly. Doesn't have to be Smash 4, but Smash 4 would definitely go a long way in my books.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I would certainly like a glimpse of what's on the horizon for the Wii U in general, honestly. Doesn't have to be Smash 4, but Smash 4 would definitely go a long way in my books.

I might buy the system at release date, but I'm not sure tho. However, I know that I wouldn't expect SSB4 trailer at Nintendo Conference.

Here's hoping the next Smash Bros. doesn't ship on a dual layer disc that your Wii has to be sent off for cleaning to read! (Bad memories. Very bad). I'll be very surprised if we don't see at least a teaser trailer next E3. I wouldn't be that surprised if it launched next Fall. Development shouldn't take this long, especially with Namco on board.

qq more

Here's hoping the next Smash Bros. doesn't ship on a dual layer disc that your Wii has to be sent off for cleaning to read! (Bad memories. Very bad).

Considering single layered Wii U discs are about 25GB (while single layered Wii discs are 4GB), I don't think we'd have to worry about that problem again!

Considering single layered Wii U discs are about 25GB (while single layered Wii discs are 4GB), I don't think we'd have to worry about that problem again!

It's a shame new-ish games tend to not hit the data cap. At least there will be more content than in Brawl, which is always a good thing. I'd hate for them to cut back on, say, music, now. And with the extra room, they could always use real alt costumes like every single other fighter in existence.

I finally gained the ability to post today and I've been following this thread for as long as I've been registered on GAF so please excuse the length of this mega-post as it's the culmination of a lot of stuff that's been on my mind recently. I really just wanted to throw out a few things that I think are really important to remember when discussing the next Smash Bros. games.

1. Sakurai's Loves His Own Franchises

Judging by the amount of Kirby content in Brawl (Three playable characters, a robust single-player mode that played like a direct sequel to The Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Superstar and prominently featured all three of the Kirby reps in crucial story positions (Kirby vs. Mario in the very first stage, King Dedede's Badges and his entire subplot, The Halberd and Metaknight's fight to get it back, etc.), music from EVERY game in the series (including multiple songs from Kirby Air Ride, Sakurai's pet project during the GC era and widely regarded as his weakest game**), a truckload of stickers and trophies, etc.) it's pretty clear that Sakurai loves his games and will make sure that his characters will get represented. Going into Brawl, did anyone really expect Metaknight to get a slot?

I'm not saying this is a bad thing of course: Kirby is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises after all (Hell, it's been getting more love in recent years than Metroid). It's just good to keep in mind that if Sakurai personally loves a character, that's character's going to get in.

With that being said, I fully expect a massive love fest for Kid Icarus: Uprising in Smash U. At this point Palutena is pretty much the only character that is a lock to be playable in the next games since
it's extremely obvious that the Great Sacred Treasure Mech at the end of Uprising was CLEARLY manufactured to be Pit's new FS
and, though many people will probably disagree with me, I think we'll be getting TWO Icarus reps in the next game, similar to what happened with the Kirby series in Brawl. Magnus, Medusa,
Viridi, and Hades
all have extremely high chances of becoming playable (and whichever of those four isn't playable will certainly be an AT, single-player boss
(which is what I expect to happen to Phyrron and the Aurum)
or, at the very least, a trophy) and I can definitely see the Space Pirate Ship,
The Reset Bomb Forest, The Lunar Sanctum and Destroyed Skyworld
as stages. Not to mention the music in Uprising is, no pun intended, divine, so I expect TONS of it to make it into Brawl.

Internationally, Icarus is sort of the signature game of the 3DS and since it's acted as the rebirth of a classic character who's already made his Smash debut, Uprising content is a NO-BRAINER.

2. Once an AT, Always an AT

This is something that I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me on but I feel really strongly about this: if a character was relegated to an AT slot previously, I highly doubt they'll be "upgraded" to a playable slot.

That said, I think there's one notable exception to this rule: Little Mac. Since his inclusion in Brawl, his series has been revived, he's gotten a complete re-design and the Punch-Out franchise is getting more love than ever before with that Kickstarter Punch-Out book, Little Mac's inclusion in Captain Rainbow, and the game's re-release on 3DS VC (before TONS of other NES games that usually would've been thrown up on the eShop first).

On the whole though, I think that if a character was introduced as an AT (unless something major happens to the character and their franchise as is the case with Mac and Punch-Out) they are going to stay an AT.

3. Revivals and Newbies

So far we know three things about the next Smash Bros. titles for certain, all straight from Sakurai's mouth: the roster isn't going to get much bigger than Brawl's, he's actively looking to revive old franchises and characters, and there will be new playable characters.

Based on these three facts, I'm guessing a few things:

First, we're going to get another NES character revival. This is pretty much fact. We got Ice Climbers in Melee, we got Pit in Brawl and my guess is that for Smash 4 we're either going to get Takamaru or Mach Rider. Why? Takamaru fills TWO niche purposes: he's retro and he's exclusive to Japan. Much like Marth in Melee, Sakurai has the opportunity to introduce the west to a character who's never made it Stateside and based on Mysterious Castle's confirmed inclusion in Nintendoland and Takaumaru's inclusion in that Dynasty Warriors game, it seems pretty obvious that Takamaru's being primed for a return.

That being said, above all the other NES franchises, I think Mach Rider has the best opportunity to reboot, something that Sakurai has already mentioned he's extremely interested in bringing about for a lucky retro character. Mach Rider music has been in Smash Bros. since Melee, the character got a redesign as a trophy in Melee and there was even a rumor about a year back about a Mach Rider revival for 3DS for Mach Rider Unchained. I can't put my finger on it but I think that if any NES character other than Takamaru makes the cut in Smash U, it'll be Mach Rider.

It's a little tougher to judge what will make the cut from the Wii era.

Rhythm Heaven is a franchise that nobody's doubting will be included in some form but a playable character? People can make the case for Karate Joe, The Samurai and Marshal since they've been in multiple games in the series but incorporating one of them into a playable slot might prove difficult. A Rhythm Heaven stage though? That's about as much of a guarantee as Palutena.

Wii Sports and Tomodachi Collection are both mega-popular franchises whose success make the idea of a playable Mii all the more likely. A Wuhu Island stage is a given.

Xenoblade is probably in the best position to make a Smash Bros. debut. Not only was it critically-acclaimed internationally, it was also ranked the 6th best Nintendo game of all time by Famitsu readers earlier this year (above Mario RPG, the original Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros. Melee) and is the poster child for fan movements around the world (see Operation Rainfall). Shulk, much like Palutena, I see as an almost guarantee. The character is highly requested, has tons of potential for an original move set, and, to be honest, simply LOOKS like a character primed for Smash.

Regarding Xenoblade's supporting cast, I could also see Melia or Fiora grabbing a playable slot since Smash is in dire need of new female fighters and both characters have massive fan bases. Metal Face screams boss battle and the other party members like Dunban, Riki, Reyn and Sharla could all be made into ATs. Not to mention, Sakurai loves his mechs and Xenoblade is a game that is definitely not short on them. 3D Trophies of all the major Face Mechon? Yes please.

And, above all else, Xenoblade has one location that simply SCREAMS Smash Bros. stage: The Fallen Arm. With the Mechonis and Bionis fighting in the background, fighting could take place on the hand, if not on floating platforms. I mean look at this:

564357_410892435625947_515106373_n.jpg

Just like Kid Icarus Uprising, Xenoblade also has an incredible soundtrack and everything from the Main Theme to Gaur Plains, the battle themes and Beyond the Sky has great potential to be remixed. Also, *FANBOY MOMENT*
imagine if in Subspace there's a battle between Shulk and ROB and he's all like "You vile Mechon! You'll pay for what you did to the Emperor and Fiora!" and ROB's all like "WTF".
*END FANBOY MOMENT*

And as a final note, anyone saying Pac-Man won't be one of the new 3rd party characters is completely out of their mind. A Pac-Man maze stage is also a total given. Miyamoto has gone on record stating that Pac-Man is his favorite non-Nintendo game (he even developed Pac-Man Vs.) and Pac-Man has already teamed up with Mario in Mario Kart Arcade GP. Given Namco is developing the next Smash and the character's status as an icon of retro gaming, Pac-Man is a SHOE-IN on the level of Palutena and Shulk. As for other third party characters, I dunno if I can make a solid call but if I had to venture a guess, I'd say Slime from Dragon Quest.

---------------------------

Alright, those are just a few of my thoughts. Go nuts.

**Just wanted to point out that Kirby Air Ride is one of my favorite games of the past decade so I definitely do not share the opinion that it's shit.

PS: Since Smash Bros. is a franchise with its own unique locales now, I fully expect the Smash Skiff stage from the Subspace Emissary to make a return as a stage in Smash U:

b7c81522e38453d7.jpg

---------------------------

TL;DR: My Predictions (? Denotes a Maybe)

New Playable Characters:
Palutena (Kid Icarus)
Hades
(Kid Icarus)
Little Mac (Punch-Out) (?)
Takamaru (Mysterious Castle)
Mach Rider (Mach Rider) (?)
Shulk (Xenoblade)
Mii (Wii Series)
Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven) (?)
Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Slime (Dragon Quest) (?)

Stages:
Space Pirate Ship (Kid Icarus Uprising)
Fallen Arm (Xenoblade)
Wuhu Island (Wii Sports Resort / Pilotwings / Mario Kart 7)
Smash Skiff (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Pac-Man Maze (Pac-Man)

fisheyes

Sakurai waited until the third game to bring in any more than one Kirby character, at which point he had a total of 3 characters - less than Pokemon, Mario and Zelda, the other 3 big franchises - only gave it one stage, and no boss character (I think, can't really remember). I don't get the 'he loves himself argument'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom