• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling Geno is going to be the next taboo on GAF. Last time it was Megaman.

In the DOJO days, anyone mentioning Megaman, or using a Megaman avatar was banned.

Kind of ridiculous.

Gahahahahah I remember that.

There was a dude who has a recoloured inverted megaman hidden in his avatar that he didn't reveal until the ban was lifted, that was genius.

Gahahahahah I remember that.

There was a dude who has a recoloured inverted megaman hidden in his avatar that he didn't reveal until the ban was lifted, that was genius.

That was me. I still got temp banned for a week for it.

Okay I need more info on this Mega Ban, I mean Mega Man Ban, what prompted that sort of reaction?

Basically imagine the flame wars that start when Geno is mentioned and multiply that rage by ten.

I'm not sure why it happened, I thought everyone loved Megaman!

KevinCow

Banned
Wasn't the Mega Man thing just sporsk's personal policy? He was convinced he wouldn't be in and got sick of people bringing him up, so laid down that rule. I'm pretty sure he was the only one modding that thread anyway.

I could live with that roster even if it feels a bit lacking in excitement factor, K.Rool, Ridley, Mac and Palutena would do me fine.
No Ike makes me sad but if Krom really is just an Ike move thief then I expect Ike to be cut.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've stated before, but as a personal want list, these are about the only ones I truly desire that might be possible.

Mewtwo
Tetra
Midna

I'll be satisfied as long as Sheik is still in the game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it taboo to post rosters in here? I came up with one I think is reasonable, with 42 characters:

b7mJo.png

No Bowser Jr/Isaac/Shulk/Saki, but I don't think those characters are all that likely for various reasons.

I would be happy with that roster, but there are no surprise factor tho.

Wasn't the Mega Man thing just sporsk's personal policy? He was convinced he wouldn't be in and got sick of people bringing him up, so laid down that rule. I'm pretty sure he was the only one modding that thread anyway.

Yeah, I remembered him being moderator during that time but I noticed that he's not moderator anymore. I wonder why.

I wonder which Gen V is actually being pushed today. I really doubt it's Zoroark.

I don't think Zoroark caught on as much as Nintendo wanted, they shouldn't have made such a stupid ass criteria to catch the damn thing to make it feel more "special".
I get where the Lucario will be replaced by Zoroark idea originated from but time has made fools of us all and Lucario maintains his popularity while Zoroark is just kind of there.
So Gen 5, not sure who has the fan backing at this point, maybe we need to check the plushes and toy sales, cut out starters and legends and see who remains (come on Krokorok!)

Ideally for me they'd drop Jigs over Lucario if a pokemon were sacrificed for a new spot, Lucario surely holds more fans these days right? and I say this as someone who outright hates the way Lucario plays

I wonder which Gen V is actually being pushed today. I really doubt it's Zoroark.

Indeed. His gimmick (taking on the appearance of others while keeping his own abilities) simply doesn't translate well into a fighting game, and his evolutionary line isn't being pushed as hard marketing-wise as other Gen-Fivers such as Meloetta, Genesect or even the starters.

I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope for Scrafty though, seeing as it's very popular in Japan, is in fact still being promoted there, and has enough personality and attacks to make a great addition to the roster.

I really don't get the vitriol toward Geno, honestly. I would not mind seeing him as a character.

Of course, I would not mind not seeing him as a character. He's certainly got a decent enough moveset to work with to make him feasible, but I'm not especially torn to his character.

For all I care, they could add Mallow...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They should add another playable legendary Pokemon or hell, N himself.

Adding Mallow would be awesome, if only because it's a huge salt against Geno fanboys.

Kokonoe

Banned
They should add another playable legendary Pokemon or hell, N himself.

Adding Mallow would be awesome, if only because it's a huge salt against Geno fanboys.

N is probably one of the only characters I would not ever play as, and I play as literally all the characters.

Kokonoe

Banned
Why not? We need playable hippies.

I'm not rather fond of the design, and I think his design is intended to cater to a specific audience like Silver The Hedgehog. As for the attire and hairstyle, I think it's too much of a clash of casual, formal, and odd, all in one that makes it seem strange while not too interesting to look at.

It's like a clash of ideas without a single solid one. As for the personality, it seemed rather cliche 90s anime.

Boss Doggie

I'm not rather fond of the design, and I think his design is intended to cater to a specific audience like Silver The Hedgehog. As for the attire and hairstyle, I think it's too much of a clash of casual, formal, and odd, all in one that makes it seem strange while not too interesting to look at.

It's like a clash of ideas without a single solid one. As for the personality, it seemed rather cliche 90s anime.

Okay then, Cynthia.

I really don't get the vitriol toward Geno, honestly. I would not mind seeing him as a character.

Of course, I would not mind not seeing him as a character. He's certainly got a decent enough moveset to work with to make him feasible, but I'm not especially torn to his character.

For all I care, they could add Mallow...

I'd actually prefer Mallow to Geno.

GamerSoul

lol that is crazy, I don't think we'll get out of hand like that again. I think the wait has calmed most of our senses.

Is it taboo to post rosters in here? I came up with one I think is reasonable, with 42 characters:

b7mJo.png

No Bowser Jr/Isaac/Shulk/Saki, but I don't think those characters are all that likely for various reasons.

Pretty good roster. Lack of Syrup is ok because it's very believable. Just needs that "WTF DID I JUST JIZZ IN MY PANTS" character.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
lol that is crazy, I don't think we'll get out of hand like that again. I think the wait has calmed most of our senses.

Pretty good roster. Lack of Syrup is ok because it's very believable. Just needs that "WTF DID I JUST JIZZ IN MY PANTS" character.

Actually, I don't mind Cap Syrup, and I used to be supporter for her during Brawl era. I think WTF character is more likely to be Sukapon, even I prefer Laughing Dog over any.

I'm surprised I don't care for many characters in Brawl. Honestly, I don't mind seeing some cut characters, but the original characters from the first game should never go away.

I hope there is some real diversity in characters this time around.

GamerSoul

I posted in that thread but over time, especially since the roster was leaked, I wasn't as active. Japan Time was some hardcore stuff.

Actually, I don't mind Cap Syrup, and I used to be supporter for her during Brawl era. I think WTF character is more likely to be Sukapon, even I prefer Laughing Dog over any.

Cool, I think I was more of a Lyn supporter early on then I did some research and found out about Syrup and I was surprised that she wasn't used more often and then Wario Land Shake It came out. And Sukapon would be crazy, it would defintely be one of the best WTF characters. It's something Sakurai would definitely do.

I really don't get the vitriol toward Geno, honestly.

It's because every single thread regarding any Smash Bros. game since Brawl had been shat up with Geno-fanboys orgasming all over a mediocre game that hasn't aged well and want a personality-less, uninteresting character that nobody but them gives a fuck about.

But they're so fucking vocal about it that it's annoying as fuck.

And yes, I too would actually prefer Mallow over Geno IF there had to be a character from Super Mario RPG. But since Square and Nintendo don't give a shit about SMRPG anymore, neither will ever make it in.

Geno didn't even get a sticker. That should tell you how much Nintendo/Square care about that game.

While I definitely wouldn't argue that Square or Nintendo give two shits about Geno, I don't think this is the best example--Square wasn't involved in any way shape or form in Brawl, so no original character from that game could appear in any sort of form even if they wanted to.

A better example would be Fortune Street, which was made by Square and actually has a music track from Super Mario RPG in it but it contains absolutely no references to it beyond that (opting instead for "filler" characters like Daisy, Birdo, and Waluigi).

EDIT: The Basketball and Sports Mix titles as well, which are rife with Final Fantasy references but absolutely no SMRPG references.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Angelo, it occurs to me that you and I are the only active posters in this thread who were also active posters in the Dojo thread.

That was nearly 5 years ago now, wasn't it?

I started to lurking around like few months after dojo, and followed leaked forum. I remembered I was there when people got brawl early and reveal every characters as soon as possible.

I decided to register for neogaf during feb or so, then I finally got approved few weeks after brawl released in US.

GamerSoul

While I definitely wouldn't argue that Square or Nintendo give two shits about Geno, I don't think this is the best example--Square wasn't involved in any way shape or form in Brawl, so no original character from that game could appear in any sort of form even if they wanted to.

A better example would be Fortune Street, which was made by Square and actually has a music track from Super Mario RPG in it but it contains absolutely no references to it beyond that (opting instead for "filler" characters like Daisy, Birdo, and Waluigi).

EDIT: The Basketball and Sports Mix titles as well, which are rife with Final Fantasy references but absolutely no SMRPG references.

I think Nintendo definitely has a better relationship with Square-Enix now but who really knows if Sakurai is reaching out to developers for characters. I remember hearing last time that that no one contacted Capcom for maybe a Megaman appearance.

Kjellson

I actually remember the Mega Man drama in the Dojo thread quite well. SuperAngelo64 and some other guy was always nagging about him, and sp0rsk got tired of it. One day he suggested that if Mega Man wasn't revealed in the next update, mentioning Mega Man, posting pictures, and having avatars and stuff would be banned. For some ridiculous reason, SuperAngelo64 actually thought he was going to be revealed that day.

It's because every single thread regarding any Smash Bros. game since Brawl had been shat up with Geno-fanboys orgasming all over a mediocre game that hasn't aged well and want a personality-less, uninteresting character that nobody but them gives a fuck about.

But they're so fucking vocal about it that it's annoying as fuck.

And yes, I too would actually prefer Mallow over Geno IF there had to be a character from Super Mario RPG. But since Square and Nintendo don't give a shit about SMRPG anymore, neither will ever make it in.
loss_for_words.gif

Look, I'm not beholden to Geno, but the bolded simply ain't true. The game's great, and more or less single-handedly got me into the RPG genre after years of ignoring it.

Don't really agree with that, either. Game has tons of character; both Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games just took that and ran with it.

I have played it way after its release because it didn't come out over here. I wanted to know what everyone was gushing their semen over, and everyone told me it was such an amazing game, and that I had to play it, and that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Maybe my expectations were WAY too high after everyone's fangasm grindfest, but when I played it, I was completely underwhelmed, and still can't understand why people are orgasming over the game.

I did not enjoy Super Mario RPG at all, and as a matter of fact, it was the game that kinda made me stop playing RPGs.

I have played it way after its release because it didn't come out over here. I wanted to know what everyone was gushing their semen over, and everyone told me it was such an amazing game, and that I had to play it, and that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Maybe my expectations were WAY too high after everyone's fangasm grindfest, but when I played it, I was completely underwhelmed, and still can't understand why people are orgasming over the game.

Pretty much this, it shows the origins of the Mario RPG playstyle, it's aged well enough that it's still playable today but the progression is oddly linear, the dungeon like areas mostly unremarkable, the main enemy design (Smithy Gang) is piss poor in my opinion and the visuals have been struck down with age.

Now Superstar Saga, that game, my god THAT GAME! I will gladly fangasm over it.

Boss Doggie

To some, maybe, but the point is you were implying SMRPG had no character and cited Paper Mario as evidence, while I assert that SMRPG has character, which directly influenced Paper Mario's to begin with.

Nah, it had barebones/stick figures which arguably is or isn't a character :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom