• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be fine with Pac-Man, Dig Dug or Llyod. I don't think I am interested to see Tekken characters in SSB.

I am very reasonable with Third Party, at long it represented their history with Nintendo, such as
Bomberman and Mega Man.

No, even Namco is uncertain that Tekken belongs in SSB. They know their shit, they're not just going to put in every character because they can, nor will Nintendo let them. Pac-Man or Dig Dug, leave it at that.

This is exactly what I mean lol, Melee put the confusion into people's minds that those are combos. Combos are consecutive hits, what you just linked me to were just gameplay highlights of top tier Melee.

Combos are consecutive hits you can't break out of because of hitstun unless of course for DI (which Smash 64 had better DI too).

Oh and I should probably say that I don't hate Melee, I just think Smash 64 is a better medium to strive towards between the heavy/fast Melee and slow/floaty Brawl.

Azure J

That's how I feel. There wasn't enough hitstun in Melee and the camera sucked. Brawl was too floaty, slow and simple.

Smash 64 though? Yes please. I think it's a great balance between Melee and Brawl with tons of extensive combos.

lol exaggeration - Not how it plays out competitively unless you're playing against Kirby nerds.

Just one example of some badass and realistically performable combos. - You simply can't do these kinda combos in Melee or Brawl.

The Luigi antics in this video simultaneously reminded of just how much shit I did in that game and thought nothing of without realizing that a few others would be all "WAT" watching it and made me nostalgic as shit to play it again. Unfortunately, the GCN controller (for the VC version) feels so weirdly foreign to me after quite some time away from games that use it.

Also I don't know what's more amusing about the Pikachu section, the combos or the music choice for Pikachu. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This is exactly what I mean lol, Melee put the confusion into people's minds that those are combos. Combos are consecutive hits, what you just linked me to were just gameplay highlights of top tier Melee.

Combos are consecutive hits you can't break out of because of hitstun unless of course for DI (which Smash 64 had better DI too).

Oh and I should probably say that I don't hate Melee, I just think Smash 64 is a better medium to strive towards between the heavy/fast Melee and slow/floaty Brawl.

Exactly. Melee fans are hilarious when it comes to combos.

64 has the definition of actual Smash combat. It was so awesome and delicious.

I really hate how the interesting looking parts of the stage builder like say the statues and ruin like structures in the mountain like theme can't have any blocks place in the immediate area around them, nor can they be gripped.

Stage Builder was a fantastic idea but so poorly executed, it needs to be in SSB4 and deliver the goods this time around.

I actually think I'd forgive any bad choices or lame content additions if only the level editor was updated to the point where it'd be as amazing as it could be.

I'd happily give up my favourite 3 chars & have tripping still be in if it'd mean getting an actually decent level editor instead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And what's even weird is that you could turn off the collision using cheats and the stages worked perfectly fine.

Backdrops should at least allow you to stretch a jpeg over a cylindrical shape. If they decide to allow level sharing they could always make is so custom backdrops revert to a default image to prevent lewd pictures being spread.

Built a Space Invader stage and was done with it.

I wonder what it'd have been like if either:

A) Nintendo didn't have to replace the fleshy punching noises with the more esoteric "pinball" noises in 64, or
B) Nintendo decided to do the same replacements for Melee and Brawl.

Would the feel of the games have been changed significantly, and if so, for better or worse?

GamerSoul

I think hit SFX for any game it very important and 64's and Melee's sound way more impactful than Brawl. It's honestly one of my main gripes with Brawl. How are going to soften the blows and make the game floatier, Sakurai? \rant. If brawl had those 64 or even Melee's SFX it probably would have been a bit more fun, imo. Man, you guys are making me want the 64 effects to come back lol.

ffdgh

I think hit SFX for any game it very important and 64's and Melee's sound way more impactful than Brawl. It's honestly one of my main gripes with Brawl. How are going to soften the blows and make the game floatier, Sakurai? \rant. If brawl had those 64 or even Melee's SFX it probably would have been a bit more fun, imo. Man, you guys are making me want the 64 effects to come back lol.

personally i missed when the characters yelled when they got sent flying by a strong attack in melee lol

Kokonoe

Banned
If I was supposed to hear this like the Star KO then mission accomplished.

image.php

GamerSoul

I love how Samus gets like a random horn for hers lol.

Wow, I didn't even notice Brawl didn't have that. maybe it was because the hits were so soft?

Boss Doggie

Yeah the sounds of Samus made her sound like a robot lol

Something about Smash 64's SFX being so strong like you performed a powerful strike. And yeah, the crowds are very lively.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'd like to be able to pick monsters such as Redead, Goombas, Koopas, etc as items in normal mode. Melee had them randomly appear, but to be able to have a ton of them swarming you would be wicked fun.

I love how Samus gets like a random horn for hers lol.

Wow, I didn't even notice Brawl didn't have that. maybe it was because the hits were so soft?

I think it might be because you survive for such a ridiculous amount of time in Brawl that there would be a point where pretty much every decent hit causes your character to scream but you are never in any way in real danger (unless the hit cleanly blasts you off the sides of the screen).

That said, there are unused sound files for this purpose in Brawl's code. Some of the mods (like Project M) bring them back.

GamerSoul

I think it might be because you survive for such a ridiculous amount of time in Brawl that there would be a point where pretty much every decent hit causes your character to scream but you are never in any way in real danger (unless the hit cleanly blasts you off the sides of the screen).

That said, there are unused sound files for this purpose in Brawl's code. Some of the mods (like Project M) bring them back.

Probably the best possible explanation. It makes sense. And wow at the fact that there were actual files found for that. lol. It probably got annoying to the developers.

I find it ridiculous that in an article that brings up TONS of Namco characters, it manages to forget the only two who are likely to be included: Pac-Man and Dig Dug. Very stupid.

Nooo, I think they're right.

Even Namco has neglected to bring up Pac Man or ... "Dig Dug".
Why? Likely because 2012 Namco sees other characters as better reps for their company in this game than Pac-Man. If they put in a character I think its gonna be something for their fans that can also work in Smash. Be it a Tekken Character or SC Character or a Tales Character or w/e ... it would be far better received by Namco fans than Pac-Man.

Kinda like how in SC2 Namco asked for Link to be in, not Mario. And if they picked a Nintendo character for a new SC game I'm sure it would still be Link or ZZS before Mario.

Boss Doggie

Would be worth it for a smash ball attack where he turns everyone into ghosts and eats them, lol. I guess they could take some moves from the World games or Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures...

I dunno, that level is All Star's level of stupidity in supers.

Kokonoe

Banned
I guess I wouldn't mind original pixel Pacman, but the newer from now I wouldn't want in the game unless it was a trophy. Pacman and N are just two characters that I'm not interested in at all for Smash.

Obviously for his FS, Pac-Man would turn into classic pixel Pac-man, everyone would turn blue, and he would chase down and eat them.

That's so unbelievably fitting for both Smash Bros. and for the retro revival idea that Sakurai keeps bringing up that I think it's truly absurd to talk about Pac-Man as someone who is less likely than Nightmare from Soul Calibur or Lloyd from ToS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom