• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rainbow Cruise is fine.

New Pork City, though, is definitely up there in the worst stages to ever grace a Smash Bros. game, up there with Mario Bros. and 75m.

Brinstar Depths is a really neat visual feast for a Metroid fan but it's absolute hell to actually play on, which is my number one requirement for a good stage. Playability above all else.

As far as gimmick stages go Mario Bros isn't that bad, at least if you are actually playing it like Mario Bros, for normal matches hell no.

Ryce

Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Balloon Fighter are the only newcomers I'm really hoping to see. I wish we get something at tomorrow's event.

SmithnCo

Yeah, Temple is awesome. New Pork is total ass though.

Not only is it annoying as hell to chase someone down or when everyone is spaced out, they didn't even attempt to tie it into the actual city. Just random platforms floating outside the city.

qq more

New Pork was mediocre and 25m was awful. I actually like the Mario Bros stage though, but only because it is so fun knocking over the enemies and throwing them at players.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmm I've always wondered why EVO's last Smash tourney had all items on (which pretty much sealed the fate of Smash in EVO). Was it intentional to sabotage Smash presence in EVO?

Kokonoe

Banned
Hmm I've always wondered why EVO's last Smash tourney had all items on (which pretty much sealed the fate of Smash in EVO). Was it intentional to sabotage Smash presence in EVO?

Generally the fighting game community tends to think that altering the game isn't proper competitively.

Not so much to sabatoge them (they weren't looking for excuses to never bring it back, after all), but mainly to have their own ruleset. The SMash community is notoriously finicky when it comes to a ruleset that everyone can agree to (to this day I still think they argue about it and haven't come to a consensus). EVO's ruleset - which even banned certain items - caused a complete clusterfuck of complaints which led to EVO stopping Smash from coming back as a main event.

It sucked too because there were a lot of reasonable people in the Smash community backing EVO's decision. "Who cares about the ruleset, the game is getting exposure" was the main reason I believe.

It's one of my favorites, actually.

Me too. Shocking how someone could hate it.

I've always been of the mindset that it was intentional.

Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Balloon Fighter are the only newcomers I'm really hoping to see. I wish we get something at tomorrow's event.

I really think we're getting the name and maybe a character announcement teaser. Nothing more.

What is tomorrow's event?

Not so much to sabatoge them (they weren't looking for excuses to never bring it back, after all), but mainly to have their own ruleset. The SMash community is notoriously finicky when it comes to a ruleset that everyone can agree to (to this day I still think they argue about it and haven't come to a consensus).

This is pretty much correct. To this day, pretty much every region has their own ruleset. The main issues are Meta Knight, stagelists, and certain rulings such as ledge grabs.
However, although there are certain projects that investigate items in competitive play, the generally accepted consensus is to turn off items, which was directly taken over from Melee.
The original recommended base ruleset was created by the members of the Melee Backroom on SWF, which took the Melee ruleset and changed it a bit to fit Brawl's gameplay. The original "no items" rule was made because once you turned on items in Melee, you would get container items (capsules, crates, etc.), out of which some would explode with Bob-Omb explosions. It was universally agreed to not use items at all because of that.
Brawl does have the option to turn off the containers, but play with items that aren't broken never was further pursued, side for the items that characters can spawn (Peach, Diddy), and a few little side events to test stuff for an item list.

Back when that last EVO happened, a lot of things occurred that caused the hosters of it to stop picking Smash back up. The backlash from Smash players regarding the item ruling is only one thing. Granted, though, the EVO people had been contacted by the BBR representation, but the recommendations had been ignored.
There was also drama involving the high level players if I recall correctly. It's so long ago, my details are a bit woozy regarding that, and that was only shortly after or before my admission to the Brawl Backroom on SWF.

poke floats should make a comeback B^)

I've had some of my best one on one battles on pokefloats, gimmicky stages can really add to "serious" matches at times and pokefloats is a great example of this.
It keeps you and your opponent on your toes whilst still battling, an ever changing layout constantly switches up the ways to attack, the more I think about it the more I love the stage.

GamerSoul

I'm not really expecting anything other then some wiiu info because we know nothing price wise about a system that is supposedly launching this year.

And that eve smash stuff is pretty interesting. It's a shame though, it would have been fun to watch in an evo type atmosphere.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not really expecting anything other then some wiiu info because we know nothing price wise about a system that is supposedly launching this year.

And that eve smash stuff is pretty interesting. It's a shame though, it would have been fun to watch in an evo type atmosphere.

It would be interesting to see how they would convince people to buy wii u at the conference/directs.

GamerSoul

It would be interesting to see how they would convince people to buy wii u at the conference/directs.

Very true, they HAVE to convince people. I'm most likely going to get one around the time Smash will be released so I really hope they try to show atleast one or two future releases that will show people hey down the line we're still going to have amazing games to look forward to also.

Ryce

Sakurai Retweeted Nintendo's message about the Nintendo Direct Wii U software showcase. Oh god, don't tease me like this!

Boss Doggie

This is pretty much correct. To this day, pretty much every region has their own ruleset. The main issues are Meta Knight, stagelists, and certain rulings such as ledge grabs.
However, although there are certain projects that investigate items in competitive play, the generally accepted consensus is to turn off items, which was directly taken over from Melee.
The original recommended base ruleset was created by the members of the Melee Backroom on SWF, which took the Melee ruleset and changed it a bit to fit Brawl's gameplay. The original "no items" rule was made because once you turned on items in Melee, you would get container items (capsules, crates, etc.), out of which some would explode with Bob-Omb explosions. It was universally agreed to not use items at all because of that.
Brawl does have the option to turn off the containers, but play with items that aren't broken never was further pursued, side for the items that characters can spawn (Peach, Diddy), and a few little side events to test stuff for an item list.

Back when that last EVO happened, a lot of things occurred that caused the hosters of it to stop picking Smash back up. The backlash from Smash players regarding the item ruling is only one thing. Granted, though, the EVO people had been contacted by the BBR representation, but the recommendations had been ignored.
There was also drama involving the high level players if I recall correctly. It's so long ago, my details are a bit woozy regarding that, and that was only shortly after or before my admission to the Brawl Backroom on SWF.

Ah thanks for clarification.

Both sides are scum imo

Anth0ny

Feh, I don't think anything would happens. He is going to support his friends and company.

But he doesn't retweet for every Nintendo Direct.

Last time he retweeted it was the night they announced the Namco Bandai partnership.

SO WE'RE GETTING A 4 MINUTE TRAILER AND PACMAN CONFIRMED TONIGHT OKAY

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
But he doesn't retweet for every Nintendo Direct.

Last time he retweeted it was the night they announced the Namco Bandai partnership.

SO WE'RE GETTING A 4 MINUTE TRAILER AND PACMAN CONFIRMED TONIGHT OKAY

I think tomorrow, but who know. I am not going to get my hope or hype high for SSB4.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Time for another megapost of mine. This time, I'm going to focus on stages.

Here's a starting point for the discussion. To start, if I had to choose the 10 best stages in Brawl, these 10 would be it.

75m
Mario Bros.
Pictochat
Big Blue
Pirate Ship
Flat Zone 2
Electroplankton
WarioWare
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone

Whoa man, what do you have against the recovery and edge guard game? Thats like the most fun part about Brawl. Pictochat and warioware are like the only two stages you listed that have that. Electroplankton and 75m are especially "objectively" terrible. Neither of those stages have a reasonable place to stand your ground and fight and because of that every single kill is like the cheapest kill possible.

Cheap kills are only fun when its done occasionally. When every last kill on that map is like that then its pretty bad. Mario bros is like that too, since the only reasonable stratagy there is to throw koopas at people. Nothing else is ever going to kill someone when they can keep a ceiling over their heads at all time. I admit Mario Bros stage can be fun for an occasional mix things up type of map, but to put it as one of the best is real stretch.

As for me, Delfino Plaza is the best map.

Boss Doggie

Whoa man, what do you have against the recovery and edge guard game? Thats like the most fun part about Brawl. Pictochat and warioware are like the only two stages you listed that have that. Electroplankton and 75m are especially "objectively" terrible. Neither of those stages have a reasonable place to stand your ground and fight and because of that every single kill is like the cheapest kill possible.

Cheap kills are only fun when its done occasionally. When every last kill on that map is like that then its pretty bad. Mario bros is like that too, since the only reasonable stratagy there is to throw koopas at people. Nothing else is ever going to kill someone when they can keep a ceiling over their heads at all time. I admit Mario Bros stage can be fun for an occasional mix things up type of map, but to put it as one of the best is real stretch.

As for me, Delfino Plaza is the best map.

That's why I said he has bad impressions for me lol

Out of the maps he listed the only ones I played most are Pirate Ship and Pictochat... maybe some WarioWare.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Temple had you using the whole map to fight.

New Pork City fight always seemed to end up in the bottom and you only ever ventured off when someone was a coward and ran away.

The horror of getting that stage in Classic and All Star modes.

ffdgh

New Pork City fight always seemed to end up in the bottom and you only ever ventured off when someone was a coward and ran away.

The horror of getting that stage in Classic and All Star modes.

trying to ko ness and lucas on that stage was such a pain at higher difficulties unless the ultimate chimera just happens to appear

PKrockin

... You sure you're not talking about Temple and its infamous "cave of life"?

KevinCow

Banned

So you guys don't have to click on it and then click Next for every individual listing because it is a poorly designed website:

10) Ice Climbers
9) Snake
8) Ness
7) Sonic
6) ROB
5) Olimar
4) Lucas
3) Lucario
2) Wolf
1) Jigglypuff

As ONM forum member Kryal says, "Sonic seems like a waste of a slot." A slot that could be taken by another Nintendo star like Ghiharim, perhaps.

Yes, Sonic is less deserving than a villain from a single Zelda game that will be like 5 years old by the time the next Smash comes out, who was apparently so great and memorable that you can't even spell his name correctly.

On Olimar:

Yet there is a better reason why he shouldn't be in Smash Bros. He is a bit useless. The fact that he needs an army of vegetables to help him find pieces of spaceship in Pikmin is enough to show you that he's not exactly the tough guy.

The awesome thing about Olimar is that despite being such a gimmick character, he's managed to become top tier material in the hands of a skilled player. He's third on the tier list below Metaknight and Diddy.

But no, we don't know how to use him, so we'll call him useless and say he shouldn't be in the game.

What an awful list.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And now for my verdict on the ONM article. Also I'm saving you the bother of reading it yourself.

Dropped Characters.

10. Ice Climbers - fuck you wally325. You can never trust some who puts random numbers after their name.
And to say it's hard to keep tabs on two characters is ridiculous. You're only controlling one and you just need to keep your eyes on that one. If you AI partner has gone AWOL well they won't be standing next to you. Simple as.

9. Snake - Colin Petch says "They [Sonic and Snake don't really belong here]." It was this kind of thinking that led to movements like the KKK. Watch out for Colin Petch in the future.

8. Ness - mikurotoro says "The only reason [Ness and Lucas] are in Smash Bros is because all the Earthbound fans begged for them to be put in".
Tsk tsk mikurotoro. If you honestly believe Nintendo listened to Mother fans then you'd probably also believe I'm the Queen of England.

7. Sonic - Kryal says, "Sonic seems like a waste of a slot." A slot that could be taken by another Nintendo star like Ghiharim, perhaps.
Let that sink in for a moment.
Sonic is great because it reflects another aspect to Nintendo history - the rivalry. I'm not even going to bother with that Ghiharim comment. Wouldn't be surprised if Kryal was a Geno fan.

6. R.O.B - Not Sakurai's fault you actually went out and bought one without knowing much about it. garfield.0 where the 0 stands for born in (20)00 because he obviously doesn't know his Nintendo history.

5. Olimar - Now we're just getting into "I can't be bothered to spend five minutes learning the basics of using a character" territory. Following MartinisAwesome logic we shouldn't have more than one sword user because all swords are the same.

4. Lucas - "He is also what fans like to describe as a clone"
Can't even be bothered with this one.

3. Lucario - It's amazing how much the word "Zoroark" can kill your argument stone dead.

2. Wolf - "Clone"
Pass

1. Jigglypuff - That's strange. I'm almost certain that they confused rest with sing. And doubly certain they made no reference to rest being a devastating move. It's like they really have no idea what they are talking about.

I hope the final game's roster is just different slight-variations of Mario because I hate everyone

Also on the topic of people horribly misinterpreting even basic elements of Smash resulting in bizarre hyperbole, I remember somebody ages ago saying they felt Melee was vastly overrated because it was unbalanced and slanted towards a certain character. Okay, fair enough, nothing but Fox can get kind of boring- Oh wait, they meant that apparently regular Link's down A IS SUCH A POWERFUL MOVE the game apparently always dissolves into everybody playing as Link and doing nothing but jumping into the air and slamming down on A. I mean, I don't really 'get' competitive Smash but the idea that that of all things would completely ruin playing Melee for you?

In the spirit of that incredible article here's Mr Owl's top 10 characters to be cut list!

10. Marth: He's wearing a tiara for crying out loud, what a fruit!
9. Donkey Kong: all he does is punch people, urgh so BORING.
8. Wario: A clone of Mario right down to the name.
7. Zelda (but not Shiek): Shiek is so much cooler, princesses are lame, cut out Zelda and just leave the awesome ninja.
6. Mr G&W: I've never seen any of his so called "games", he's silly.
5. Peach: Princesses can't fight guys, it's ridiculous to think people want to play as a women!
4. Pikachu: No longer relevant, remove this rat.
3. Lucas: Ness' brother is so worthless his game wont even leave Japan, therefore no one outside of Japan knows who this whiny loser is so no on ewill care if he's cut.
2. Fox: Falco Clone
1. Mario: Face of Nintendo? more like the ass of Nintendo! Also a Wario and Luigi Clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom