• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

There's something about mentioning LandMaster just makes me chuckle.

Would be worth it for a smash ball attack where he turns everyone into ghosts and eats them, lol. I guess they could take some moves from the World games or Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures...

That ghost idea is awesome lol. Other than that great idea, as a character, especially compared to the high profile guest we have seen so far, he seems bland to me from a character stand point. He's no doubt iconic but ehh. Sonic is fast as hell with his signature spins and Snake is fully loaded with every explosive allowed in the rating system, but PacMan he runs and eats... like Kirby. I wouldn't be mad if he's in just I wouldn't need a change of pants or anything like that.

SmithnCo

Yeah, he doesn't have much of a personality. Mario and other mascots have funny quirks but Pacman has always been pretty bland.

A championship edition stage would be trippy as hell though. (It has been on the 3DS lol)

Yeah, he doesn't have much of a personality. Mario and other mascots have funny quirks but Pacman has always been pretty bland.

There's no way they are going to pass up on the opportunity to include Pac-Man, especially since his TV show launches next year.

And, considering his new look from the show was already introduced a year ago, there's no way we're not getting him.

pacman-thumbsup.jpg

Anth0ny

This is exactly what I mean lol, Melee put the confusion into people's minds that those are combos. Combos are consecutive hits, what you just linked me to were just gameplay highlights of top tier Melee.

Combos are consecutive hits you can't break out of because of hitstun unless of course for DI (which Smash 64 had better DI too).

I assure you, those are real combos. Melee is the perfect balance between Smash 64's insane hitstun (leading to the up tilt up tilt up tilts) and Brawl's complete and utter lack of any hitstun at all.

I love Smash 64, by the way. Played it at the party this last weekend. So fun ^_^

If they went in the Smash 64 direction for the next Smash, I have no objections.

And if we're talking about sound effects, you don't know awesome sound effects until you play Japanese Smash 64.

Obviously for his FS, Pac-Man would turn into classic pixel Pac-man, everyone would turn blue, and he would chase down and eat them.

That's so unbelievably fitting for both Smash Bros. and for the retro revival idea that Sakurai keeps bringing up that I think it's truly absurd to talk about Pac-Man as someone who is less likely than Nightmare from Soul Calibur or Lloyd from ToS.

Pac-man would make a great AT ... but I really think that if Namco is asked to include a character it's gonna be something that reflects their company, something their fans would enjoy. Kinda like how I'm sure if Capcom where just asked if they would like a character in smash (not asked for "MM" but just a character) they would pick Ryu instead of MM (because one's the face of their star fighting brand and the other is something they clearly don't care about).

64 has the definition of actual Smash combat. It was so awesome and delicious.
awesome and delicious.
delicious.

funny-gif-Batman-eating-little-pony.gif

So I'm not the only person who secretly thinks 64 was more fun than melee?

Nope and I'm sure the tons of people of who still play it on a regular basis on PJ64k would agree with you ;]

If they went in the Smash 64 direction for the next Smash, I have no objections.

And if we're talking about sound effects, you don't know awesome sound effects until you play Japanese Smash 64.

HAH! Too funny man.. Some of the other versions like French are hilarious too, especially for how they say names lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While it probably has little effect on Smash, Pacman is one of Miyamoto's favourite non-Nintendo characters.

I think that design is ugly YET I love the thought of guest characters and feel that they're a logical progression for the series. :)

(He stole Klonoa's shoes ... is he taking people's shoes now!?! I actually think Klonoa would be a great character to put in to act as a Pac Man stand in if they got more than 1-2 spots seeing as he's the most Nintendoish character Namco has and they love coving him in Pac Man gear but that aint happening)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought utilt spamming suffers from being only beneficial to a handful of characters and that it requires you to set it up to work.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If Namco got a rep it would be the ship from Xevious. At launch for NES classics on GBA. An unlockable in Star Fox: Assault apparently and also a 3DS 3D Classic. It's the Namco game Nintendo loves.

If Namco got a rep it would be the ship from Xevious. At launch for NES classics on GBA. An unlockable in Star Fox: Assault apparently and also a 3DS 3D Classic. It's the Namco game Nintendo loves.
Did they keep Xevious in the non JPN versions of SFA? I can't remember coming across it in my game.
Or Namco use up their potential character slot through Starfox Assault itself and we get old Peppy Hare for a 4th starfox rep.
Comes with event mission Namco vs Konami, Old Peppy versus Old Snake.

Seriously though Pacman is fine, Klonoa is the never gonna happen choice of awesomeness.

Boss Doggie

Did they keep Xevious in the non JPN versions of SFA? I can't remember coming across it in my game.
Or Namco use up their potential character slot through Starfox Assault itself and we get old Peppy Hare for a 4th starfox rep.
Comes with event mission Namco vs Konami, Old Peppy versus Old Snake.

Seriously though Pacman is fine, Klonoa is the never gonna happen choice of awesomeness.

Clearly Panther came in from Assault, which was Namco's handiwork, so he'll rep Namco.

I only want Panther damn it!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I only saw it on Wikipedia hence the word apparently. I don't even have the game.

But I seriously have no idea why Nintendo love Xerious so much.

Speaking of Pac-Man's moves, he did gain a couple in Pac-Man World that could be used for reference. There was the revving move which turned into a Sonic-style spin dash, there was the bouncing move where he slams into the ground from mid-air and rebounds higher than he could normally jump, there was throwing picked-up pellets at his foes, there was... uh... actually, that's about the extent of what I remember. There was a chrome powerup to become invincible and sink underwater, but Smash already has the Metal Box, what more would you need there?

I didn't get very far in that game. Brutally hard.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just digged through my old computer on and found several old gifs from Brawl hype days.

pwnagesonicbrawlfastcw8.gif

Someone made it way before they confirm Sonic for Brawl.

For people who used to be Nsiders, hopefully you would understand what cappies meant.

martin.gif

Time for another megapost of mine. This time, I'm going to focus on stages.

Here's a starting point for the discussion. To start, if I had to choose the 10 best stages in Brawl, these 10 would be it.

75m
Mario Bros.
Pictochat
Big Blue
Pirate Ship
Flat Zone 2
Electroplankton
WarioWare
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone

The 10 stages above, besides just being really cool, drenched in Nintendo history, and having great music selections is how differently they play. Flat Zone 2, Pictochat and WarioWare even change landscapes within their own stage while you play and dramatically so.

But should every stage be that dynamic?

I'm of the mindset that, yes, most of them should be. There are a few exceptions though. For example, I never get tired of playing Yoshi's Island or Space Battleground because both of those stages, despite being simple with no hazards, never FEEL boring. Both manage to capture the essence of their game worlds perfectly.

The crayon graphical style, changing seasons, and fantastic song choices in Yoshi's Island makes it a perfect example of a stage that totally captures nostalgia for the series its presenting while still being a fair stage for all characters to play on. The orchestral music from Star Fox Assault and the epic journey through the Lylat system that the player takes on the back of Fox's ship also puts Space Battleground in that same category: a stage that's great for a fair match without ever growing tired.

That said, I think Pirate Ship is a perfect example of a Smash Bros. stage. It manages to capture everything that's enchanting and wonderful about Wind Waker while still providing players with a dynamic map, incredible music and an experience that rarely feels the same.

stage34_080401a-l.jpg

Here's my big gripe with the stages in Brawl though. Aside from the 12 stages that I mentioned in the paragraphs above, many of the rest of the maps feel, to put it lightly, lifeless and disconnected from their material. And, in a game where only 12 of the 41 included stages are fun upon replay, there's a problem. Two of the worst examples of this issue are The Bridge of Eldin and Mushroomy Kingdom, albeit for very different reasons.

The Bridge of Eldin is bad for a few reasons: the stage itself is terribly designed, the stage hazards do very little to enhance the enjoyment of the stage and the music choices (aside from the one epic orchestral rendition of the Zelda theme) are absolutely terrible. If the creators wanted to replicate the essence of Twilight Princess, why didn't they choose to make a stage in the Twilight Realm? The art style in those sections of the game immediately conjure the source material's themes of isolation and desperation that made Twilight Princess so good for the player and there were plenty of locales within the Twilight Realm that could've acted as a perfect location for a stage (the trees that Wolf Link has to leap to and from in the Faron Woods swamp area are what come to my mind first (and because Link as a Smash character never transforms into Wolf Link they even could have included him and Midna in the background fighting Twilight enemies like the Shadow Insect Queen or even Zant). Hell, they even included Midna's Lament, a song that would have worked perfectly for a Twilight Realm stage, in Brawl so why didn't they choose a more distinct area with a more relatable atmosphere to represent Twilight Princess.

c0f.png

Total missed opportunity.

Mushroomy Kingdom is a bad stage, not because of how it plays, but because of how it's presented. Instead of coming off as Sakurai and his team intended (as an apocalyptic abandoned Mushroom Kingdom) the deserted version of 1-1 feels generic and has, unquestionably, the worst music choices in the entire game with a piss-poor arrangement of the classic 1-1 theme and the awful Gritzy Desert theme (seriously Sora Ltd, of all the desert themes from Mario games, you choose the shittiest?) as its only music choices. The concept of the ever scrolling platforming stage is not a bad idea however and in fact, I want to see the idea make a return in the next Smash Bros. but instead as either a stage that recreates a level from New Super Mario Bros. (a series now synonymous with an entire generation of Mario) using this music or revisit the idea of a classic stage wrecked by the passage of time but really go all out with the atmosphere (maybe use, oh gee, I don't know, DRY BONES, DRY GOOMBAS, DRY PIRANHA PLANTS AND BOOS AS STAGE ENEMIES TO SYMBOLIZE DEATH INSTEAD OF RANDOM SHADES OF BROWN).

200px-BooNSMBWii.PNG

images
180px-Dry_Goomba.png
250px-MP8_DryBones.png

Enough about the past though. Onto the future! I think Sakurai and his team have some really great material to work in terms of stages for the upcoming Smash for Wii U. Perhaps a map that takes place in the London of Professor Layton that takes place on the back of a double decker bus but dynamically changes ala Brawl's Wario Ware with puzzles that must be solved in the background within a time limit. Or, in the same vein, I'd love a Rhythm Heaven stage, with playable rhythm mini-games.

Professor-Layton-2-DS-05.jpg

There are plenty of opportunities for "essence" stages ala Yoshi's Island and Space Battleground too: stages that don't have hazards but completely engross the player in the battlefield's source material. The Mechonis ship Junks from Xenoblade could be a great update on Space Battleground's idea of taking the player through a game's universe while still remaining a standard platform. The ship could fly around iconic locations from Xenoblade like Gaur Plains, Valak Mountain, and Mechonis Field, all while incorporating their incredible orchestral scores. The ship could occasionally fly far outside of the giant's bodies to get a look at them fighting as well.

400px-Junks-outside.jpg

These are just my opinions of course, but I'd love to hear what interesting stage concepts you guys want to see in the next Smash and which you think are likely to happen.

I hated the Electroplankton stage since it just felt like a lifeless, poor-man's Flat Zone, but I agree with you on everything else. Always bothered me the WW stage was a generic ship and not Tetra's ship though. If they decide to have Bridge of Eldin as a Brawl throw-back stage (for whatever reason), wouldn't mind seeing seeing Pirate Ship redone as Gangplank Galleon from DKC2 with elements like the pirate crabs and Squiddicus from DKCR attacking you from the background. Maybe even have the stage shift from dusk to dawn with neat lighting and silhouette effects.

Mushroomy Kingdom is a bad stage, not because of how it plays, but because of how it's presented. Instead of coming off as Sakurai and his team intended (as an apocalyptic abandoned Mushroom Kingdom) the deserted version of 1-1 feels generic and has, unquestionably, the worst music choices in the entire game with a piss-poor arrangement of the classic 1-1 theme and the awful Gritzy Desert theme (seriously Sora Ltd, of all the desert themes from Mario games, you choose the shittiest?) as its only music choices. The concept of the ever scrolling platforming stage is not a bad idea however and in fact, I want to see the idea make a return in the next Smash Bros. but instead as either a stage that recreates a level from New Super Mario Bros. (a series now synonymous with an entire generation of Mario) using this music or revisit the idea of a classic stage wrecked by the passage of time but really go all out with the atmosphere (maybe use, oh gee, I don't know, DRY BONES, DRY GOOMBAS, DRY PIRANHA PLANTS AND BOOS AS STAGE ENEMIES TO SYMBOLIZE DEATH INSTEAD OF RANDOM SHADES OF BROWN).

No.

w00tkins

To start, if I had to choose the 10 best stages in Brawl, these 10 would be it.

25m
Mario Bros.

what am i reading. These are the two most annoying stages in Brawl.

And you could definitely do a lot worse than Gritzy Desert. Meta Knight's Revenge comes to mind.

I'd love to have Pumpkin Hill as a stage, even if it has no chance of happening. You could have it set on Ghost Train Mountain or something.

Boss Doggie

lmao there are people who think there won't be "floating platform on a beautiful background" stages

Yes. You have objectively terrible taste if you think the Gritzy Desert music is on the level of the other music in Brawl.

Hey junior bad first impressions are bad

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't want to call someone out but saying "25m" (which is actually 75m) and "great music selection" is quite funny. One good song and that's it.

However I agree that more stages should incorporate the feel of the games rather than be floating platforms in front of pretty backdrops. And it they are that at least make them interesting like the Mario 64 in SSB.

Interesting post up there based on the stages, I agree that Mushroomy Kingdom is a let down compared to its concept which I never felt was that great to begin with.

Still....75M You gotta be shitting me?! well anyway maybe i'll throw down some stage stuff myself regarding the previous stages, I thought Bridge of Eldin was great TP representation myself.

Hey junior bad first impressions are bad

Sarcasm clearly doesn't read well in text, haha. I do hate the Gritzy Desert theme but I thought by using "objectively" in regards to an opinion, it was pretty clear that I didn't mean to be taken seriously. I think he caught tit since he even responded with a "no u" equivalent. Apologies for any potentially hurt feelings Chet Rippo.

I do recall thinking many of the stages from Brawl just didn't feel quite as... "right", I guess, as many of the ones from earlier stages. I can't really explain it.

Like, the Metroid Prime stage, while it's awesome we got a stage based on that series, just didn't do anything for me. I also recall how the website hyped up how the stage flips around in the middle of the game, thinking that could be a kind of cool gimmick like Brinstar Depths... and I play the game, and it turns out the map just flips upside-down in an instant, completely blindsiding you. Unimpressive.

I also didn't care much for Isle Delfino; the idea of a stage there was pretty good, but I don't really think going for a Mute City-esque approach really worked in the stage's favor. (No qualms with the F-Zero GX stage they did, though.) I'd much rather they found one spot that works and stuck with it, although tbh I'm not sure which spot in particular I'd have gone for.

Also, although I like Shadow Moses Island, those spotlights really should've done something substantial. All they do is make the "!" go over one player's head while they focus on him? No side effects, no stage gimmicks activating to attack whatever poor sap wound up there, adding an element of stealth to the stage itself (which would've been pretty clever)? And the various Metal Gears, just there for show. I don't mind this as much, admittedly, but it still feels like a wasted opportunity.

And yeah, Bridge of Eldin really sucks. Oh wow, a large flat arena with no pits to speak of unless a random event destroys the center of the bridge. A great vista of a pit in the background. Exciting.

Like, the Metroid Prime stage, while it's awesome we got a stage based on that series, just didn't do anything for me. I also recall how the website hyped up how the stage flips around in the middle of the game, thinking that could be a kind of cool gimmick like Brinstar Depths... and I play the game, and it turns out the map just flips upside-down in an instant, completely blindsiding you. Unimpressive.

Frigate Orpheon is probably my #13 or #14 choice (tied with Port Town) for the exact reasons you mentioned above. Plus, I absolutely adored everything about Brinstar Depths and was extremely disappointed when they chose to bring back regular old Brinstar instead of Brinstar Depths in Brawl.

Shadow Moses already has a main gimmick, the "cage match" like setup and the destructible walls that make it confined in the first place. Adding more full on gimmicks on top of that might be a bit overkill but you certainly could have made attacking hazards from the searchlights and Metal Gears.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What is weird is how detailed the Shadow Moses map is. There's a whole lot of map you can't see normally without cheats.

I wish the ultimate chimera was actually more of a threat, it would make the unfortunate event of playing on New Pork City end a lot faster.

I guess the idea was for it to be the new Hyrule Temple and that it was made more vast to accommodate running from the Chimera, unfortunately they completely buggered it up, the stage itself looks so separate from the background, it feels like a bad stage editor stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom