• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Objectively, no he's actually a good character even in casual play :p

But I don't like playing as him so NUH-UH.

The sad thing about Simon Belmont is that even though I don't mind him I like other main characters like Alucard, Shanoa, Soma and Trevor much more, i'm not really one for Simon's barbarian style look.
I still demand a CV rep though, just thing of the awesome stage and music selection.

Galang

Banned
There's too many awesome Pokemon to represented, so I'd love Jigglypuff to be axed in favour of something better. Most hated character in the game...

I still won't ever understand why the "Castlevania is made by Capcom herpderp" is still so popular, and whenever I see someone use it, I'm not sure whether they are using it, or actually don't know that Konami made Castlevania.

Kokonoe

Banned
I still won't ever understand why the "Castlevania is made by Capcom herpderp" is still so popular, and whenever I see someone use it, I'm not sure whether they are using it, or actually don't know that Konami made Castlevania.

I guess a lot of people who don't pay attention mistake them for each other because their games before were similar in style.

probably my least favourite gaf joke because put bluntly it's not even funny anyway.
Well to me anyway.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You should watch the Lucario movie if that is what you dislike in characters.

He wasn't angsty there. He was tsundere.

Clone angst is one of the terrible things I've ever read in fiction.

There's too many awesome Pokemon to represented, so I'd love Jigglypuff to be axed in favour of something better. Most hated character in the game...

wat

she's like, loved to death in Melee and 64

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't know, Simon's 16 bit style was pretty good. Something just seems really off about this design.

dQz6o.gif

I'd probably call it Simon Belonetta

He wasn't angsty there. He was tsundere.

Clone angst is one of the terrible things I've ever read in fiction.

We'll have to agree to disagree because although the style in which the events take place are different, the same emotions are still being displayed almost exactly in a similar manner. The only difference is one is written as a villain and the other is not.

Boss Doggie

We'll have to agree to disagree because although the style in which the events take place are different, the same emotions are still being displayed almost exactly in a similar manner. The only difference is one is written as a villain and the other is not.

He was tsundere because he wanted to know what the hell happened to his master for reals, his grumpy attitude fits the tsundereness. He wasn't contemplating his navel.

I mean, Mewtwo isn't "it's not like I wuv you!"

I feel this is the bit where I should stick my head in and say they shouldn't take Lucario out.

Because seriously, guys, they shouldn't take Lucario out.

Kokonoe

Banned
He was tsundere because he wanted to know what the hell happened to his master for reals, his grumpy attitude fits the tsundereness. He wasn't contemplating his navel.

I mean, Mewtwo isn't "it's not like I wuv you!"

They are both showing a wall that's built up from pain, so they are expressing themselves in a negative way. Being built and lab tested as merely a weapon is much different than losing a partner, so it makes perfect sense why Mewtwo was as he was. Lucario's purpose was his partner, Mewtwo didn't have a purpose besides what they were trying to use him as so that's what he became.

If you've seen the second movie, you see Mewtwo in the same light as Lucario. It's the same Mewtwo you see at the end of the first movie. Their personalities are different, but they share similar traits.

Wichu

I feel this is the bit where I should stick my head in and say they shouldn't take Lucario out.

Because seriously, guys, they shouldn't take Lucario out.

Lucario should stay.
And reveal itself as a Zoroark when it takes damage ;)

I'm siding with Team Scrafty as to 5th gen Pokémon. It's not going to happen, but it would be awesome.

Simon Belonetta is still slightly preferable to Conan the Belmont/Simon the barbarian.

Reporting in for unlikely Team Krokorok, did he get anime popularity? he better have, that'll get you in.

Kokonoe

Banned
I use to use Lucario, but like Metaknight I wasn't able to use him that effectively as I'm sure there is a specific competitive way you have to use them and I don't particularly play competitively. I did like the Kamehameha, though.

Boss Doggie

They are both showing a wall that's built up from pain, so they are expressing themselves in a negative way. Being built and lab tested as merely a weapon is much different than losing a partner, so it makes perfect sense why Mewtwo was as he was. Lucario's purpose was his partner, Mewtwo didn't have a purpose besides what they were trying to use him as so that's what he became.

If you've seen the second movie, you see Mewtwo in the same light as Lucario. It's the same Mewtwo you see at the end of the first movie. Their personalities are different, but they share similar traits.

Oh I've seen the second movie. He wasn't as angsty as in the first film but in the second movie he suffers from navel problems. He should check that out.

Lucario was definitely angry at his master but he wasn't angsty about it - most of the focus on the plot was more of him being tsundere and that whiny brat from advanced generation trying to remove the tsundere-ness.

Simon Belonetta is still slightly preferable to Conan the Belmont/Simon the barbarian.

Reporting in for unlikely Team Krokorok, did he get anime popularity? he better have, that'll get you in.

Simon stripping as his power ups?

If we were to ever receive a character from Konami, my clear choice would be
Atem/Yugi
Alucard. Richter and Shanoa are good choices as well, as is classic Simon Belmont.
If we were ever to receive a character from Konami, my choice would be Solid Snake.

Oh wait.

I'd totally go for a Belmont, though. Maybe Soma, Shanoa, Alucard or one of the Morrises in a pinch.

Wichu

Smash Bros does actually seem to be inspired by the Pokémon anime more than the games. The main one is Pokémon saying their names rather than making the animal-like grunts they do in the games, but you also have stuff like the games not containing huge stadium-like areas (which are common in the anime), and the Melee Pokémon Stadium music and anime arrangement of the Pokémon theme being very similar.

Boss Doggie

Smash Bros does actually seem to be inspired by the Pokémon anime more than the games. The main one is Pokémon saying their names rather than making the animal-like grunts they do in the games, but you also have stuff like the games not containing huge stadium-like areas (which are common in the anime), and the Melee Pokémon Stadium music and anime arrangement of the Pokémon theme being very similar.

Not true at all, otherwise Jiggly would be kicked off for being irrelevant, and shit like "Ivysaur shouldn't be there because she didn't appear in the anime" happens :p

It is essentially its own "theme". Animal calling is not limited to the anime. Stadium area is pretty much found in other games (and fits the stage design of Smash) and the arrangement is actually found in the games.

Not true at all, otherwise Jiggly would be kicked off for being irrelevant, and shit like "Ivysaur shouldn't be there because she didn't appear in the anime" happens :p

It is essentially its own "theme". Animal calling is not limited to the anime. Stadium area is pretty much found in other games (and fits the stage design of Smash) and the arrangement is actually found in the games.

I'd say it has more pull than you're downplaying, aside from the using their own names thing Mewtwo and Lucario in particular have their more vocal grunts and even voiced in Lucario's case, that and he jumps around being captain aura and firing out a freaking beam for his final smash.
Lucario is so anime, he revels in his aura animeness which is totally a real word.

Wichu

Wasn't Jigglypuff in something like half the episodes from the first season? Sure, Pokémon say their names in non-anime media, but in the main series games they don't (with an exception for Pikachu). I'll give you that point (and the stadium point) seeing as they could be representing the spin-offs.

Which game is the arrangement in? Structurally, it's the version from R/B, but obviously the instrumentation is different. FR/LG had different instrumentation yet again, and the other games have different arrangements. I'm pretty sure the instrumentations of the anime version and the Melee version are nearly identical.

EDIT: Doesn't Lucario speak in his movie, too?

Kokonoe

Banned
Wasn't Jigglypuff in something like half the episodes from the first season? Sure, Pokémon say their names in non-anime media, but in the main series games they don't (with an exception for Pikachu). I'll give you that point (and the stadium point) seeing as they could be representing the spin-offs.

Which game is the arrangement in? Structurally, it's the version from R/B, but obviously the instrumentation is different. FR/LG had different instrumentation yet again, and the other games have different arrangements. I'm pretty sure the instrumentations of the anime version and the Melee version are nearly identical.

EDIT: Doesn't Lucario speak in his movie, too?

He does. They also go out of their way to talk about the "aura" as well.

Also Mewtwo's absence in Brawl is a reference to the first movie where he made everyone on the development team forget he existed.

-clap-

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also Mewtwo's absence in Brawl is a reference to the first movie where he made everyone on the development team forget he existed.

So SSB4 could be like the Mewtwo Returns situation, Mewtwo to come back to the roster wearing some scrappy hood thing.

Boss Doggie

Oh yeah, I agree that Lucario is based mostly on the movie incarnation (iirc it was the recent pokemon thing). But otherwise I stand by my post.

I like Mewtwo but he looks like a goof in that cape.

Oh yeah, I agree that Lucario is based mostly on the movie incarnation (iirc it was the recent pokemon thing). But otherwise I stand by my post.

So if I get Krokorok it'll be Sunglasses Krokorok, I could deal with this.

And like the movie he'll bring a bunch of clones with him.

It makes perfect sense, plus he took the clones with him after melee which I why they weren't in brawl, this is some deep stuff right here.

Murrah

Banned
Jigglypuff will never die you fools

Though I agree they went overboard with gen 1 reps. Get rid of pokemon trainer/replace them with different pokemon fine (and that's coming from skmeone whose favorite pokemon is Charizard), but Jigglypuff is too ingrained in Smash for me now to be ok with getting rid of her. It'd be like getting rid of Captain Falcon or Ness just because

Jigglypuff will never die you fools
Dead she is the life, dig into the skin
Knuckle crack the bone, 21 to win
Dead she is the dog, hound of hell you cry
Devil on your back, she can never die

Dig through the ditches,
And burn through the witches
She slams in the back of her
Dragula

Dig through the ditches,
Dragula

If it was Charizard, Bulbasaur, and Wartortle, that would have been absolutely awesome.
Charmeleon and whatever combination of the rest, I would weep tears of joy. Unfortunately Charizard is like one of the most beloved pokemon of all so that ain't ever happening.

Murrah

Banned
Dead she is the life, dig into the skin
Knuckle crack the bone, 21 to win
Dead she is the dog, hound of hell you cry
Devil on your back, she can never die

Dig through the ditches,
Dragula

Dig through the ditches,
Dragula

This is the most appropriate response to anything I've ever seen

Based on bombass youtube videos I nominate chill as fuck Slowking. Just look at him wave at Seel with that dreamy filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom