• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

Well, if I had to go by what I see from Namco ... he seems pretty "dead" to them.

Yeah, so dead to Namco that they still make games and a NEW CARTOON SERIES.

Seriously, where did you get that idea?

You're using a children's show that was supposed to be out in 2012 but some how got pushed into 2013 (with "3D" footage from 2010 btw) as your prime example?

2013?! Whaaat?! DEADDDDD

Oh god, I'm worried for Luigi now. He might not be in SSB4 because his game's sequel just got delayed to ...*GASP*... 2013 too!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No point arguing folks. Black-Wind isn't a fan of retro characters so it's no wonder he doesn't like Pacman.

My list of possible replacements spots goes ...
One or 2 of the Retro characters (G&W/ IC/ ROB)
I think those slots would be best filled with new series and unknowns for the most part. Cause why replace everyone with more characters from the same old series?

fisheyes

At this point in time I honestly feel like Pacman is the character closest to a 'lock'. Even more so than Takumaru and Palutena, who I both feel are almost certain (though Palutena is to a lesser extent), but I'd still say Pacman's chances trump them. I can't possibly see him not being a playable character in the game.

If I had an actual job I would be willing to bet you $300 that Pac-Man aint getting in or at the very least he wont be the lone rep for Namco on the roster.

Want to bring this back up later? B]

Absolutely, I've screen capped this and saved it under "future bets", lol

That said, since you do not have a job, we will make an avatar bet.

Loser has to have an avatar of a zoomed-in Pac-Man Rule 34. Do you accept Black-Wind?

At this point in time I honestly feel like Pacman is the character closest to a 'lock'. Even more so than Takumaru and Palutena, who I both feel are almost certain (though Palutena is to a lesser extent), but I'd still say Pacman's chances trump them. I can't possibly see him not being a playable character in the game.

On that subject, the only characters I would consider locks are Krom and probably Palutena and a Mii.

Krom is basically guaranteed to be in. There's no way Fire Emblem won't get a new character, especially after the sales of Awakening, and there's no way any old character would get in over Krom.

If Kid Icarus: Uprising did well, then Palutena is a lock too. I don't think Sakurai plays favorites as much as some people say, but I don't think he would deny his own work representation if he could justify it. I don't think Uprising has any new characters "worthy" of playable representation aside from Palutena, either. But I have heard that Uprising underperformed sales-wise; if that's true, then Kid Icarus probably won't get two characters.

I don't really like the idea of Miis being playable, but Nintendo uses them so much now that I think the only way they won't be in is if Sakurai is against the concept for whatever reason. I would guess that a Mii will be in before any new Mario or Zelda character.

I wouldn't quite call Takamaru a lock because his original game is still Japan-only, but I do really think he'll be in for reasons that have already been said a lot by a bunch of people.

I couldn't call Pac-Man a lock because he's a third-party character, and that makes things really murky. Non-Nintendo characters aren't going to get in Smash Bros. for exactly the same reasons as Nintendo characters. I do think that he's the most likely third-party character and that he's the only Namco character who has a shot at being playable in this game, though.

I couldn't call Pac-Man a lock because he's a third-party character, and that makes things really murky. Non-Nintendo characters aren't going to get in Smash Bros. for exactly the same reasons as Nintendo characters. I do think that he's the most likely third-party character and that he's the only Namco character who has a shot at being playable in this game, though.

But Namco is developing Smash - it's not difficult to expect at least one if not more Namco characters making it in.

Wow, seems like I made a lil commotion here :p
Let me take this out one by one ...

On GAF you always have to option of an avatar bet or a ban bet.
I like money but if that's a no go then I find no reason to bet.

I was laughing at the idea that moves would be based on a fan patch rather than the idea of different move sets.
That fan made move-set is based on the Wario Land games ... so I was just saying that if they do make custom move-sets then I could see something like a more "Wario Land" inspired move-set being an option. Not that Sakurai would simply use the fan one.

But I get what you're saying.

Bayonetta logic works, but Travis? When did the creator express fondness towards Sakurai? Also what "lots of characters"? Only Kojima was known to have that and probably Kamiya.
Suda51 and Sakurai held a public event together in 08.
From that event rumors spread that they were working on a project together (still not known if they were simply joking with the people or not but w/e).
Suda51 has expressed great interest in putting Travis in SSB on more than one occasion.
And I'm sure Sakurai has more friends in the gaming industry from different companies than just those 2 you listed. Much like how Snake was a left fielder, I see no reason to assume we have anything nailed down on this man's personal life.

Yeah, so dead to Namco that they still make games and a NEW CARTOON SERIES.

Seriously, where did you get that idea?
Namco actually makes a good amount of cartoons for their games.
And you're not read my post or understanding it are you?

In what way is Pac-Man still the most important backer to their company? Which do you think Namco and their fans care more about? Tekken/ Gundam/ SC/ Tales or a Pac-Man game ... that Namco is actually making based on a survey because even they don't know how to make Pac-Man relevant to the new generation of kids/ people younger than "mid 20s"? Yeah, he's getting a game ... but how high is it's production value going to be compared to their other IPs? Hell, from the looks of that survey his next game may be a "causal" app game.

2013?! Whaaat?! DEADDDDD

Oh god, I'm worried for Luigi now. He might not be in SSB4 because his game's sequel just got delayed to ...*GASP*... 2013 too!
IDK if you realize this but normally you don't see a fully done trailer for a CARTOON 3 YEARS before it's released. No the same as a game getting pushed back.

That, plus the name change and new plot are signs that something gone wrong in the development of that show at some point and they don't know what they want to do.

It's like that GI JOE movie that was supposed to be out this year but got pushed to 2013 ...

No point arguing folks. Black-Wind isn't a fan of retro characters so it's no wonder he doesn't like Pacman.
I love how you take that post completely out of context :p
Try reading over it again.
(Oh, and if you like keeping tabs on my post then maybe you would like to look over those many post where I say Sonic should have been a no brainer for brawl or how I want AW characters in the roster. Those are retro without being "dead series")

Absolutely, I've screen capped this and saved it under "future bets", lol

That said, since you do not have a job, we will make an avatar bet.

Loser has to have an avatar of a zoomed-in Pac-Man Rule 34. Do you accept Black-Wind?
Nope, no "rule 34" and no use betting without the money part. Just save it for later.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Suda51 and Sakurai held a public event together in 08.
From that event rumors spread that they were working on a project together (still not known if they were simply joking with the people or not but w/e).
Suda51 has expressed great interest in putting Travis in SSB on more than one occasion.
And I'm sure Sakurai has more friends in the gaming industry from different companies than just those 2 you listed. Much like how Snake was a left fielder, I see no reason to assume we have anything nailed down on this man's personal life.

Ahh I see, never heard of that one.

Still, it's an apt reason for Travis, Bayonetta and Snake, but those seem to be the only known ones.

But Namco is developing Smash - it's not difficult to expect at least one if not more Namco characters making it in.

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I do think that he's more likely than any other potential new third-party character; I just wouldn't say he's guaranteed because it's tough to make that call on a non-Nintendo character.

GamerSoul

Shadow The Hedgehog is totally going to be a playable character, and Knuckles will be a trophy.

:l No, sir..no. Tails or bust.

Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I do think that he's more likely than any other potential new third-party character; I just wouldn't say he's guaranteed because it's tough to make that call on a non-Nintendo character.

That's how I feel about the 3rd party situation. There's no way in telling who may even approach Sakurai to try to get a character in. I remember reading that no one contacted Capcom or vice versa to get Megaman in...

So this game will be made by Namco right? Awesome! When can we expect it?

Since some Namco guys have made it clear that Sakurai is still at the helm and is making all the decisions, we don't know how much of an impact Namco will have other than helping out with their years of experience making fighting/action games, as of today. I think when Sakurai said he was getting help with the balancing he was refering to Namco which would be a good sign. The added with man power of Namco we could possibly get the game a bit sooner too. Remember, they are somehow working on two versions, that probably would have taken them even longer with only their own dev teams.

Actually, one of the main things we know about this game that people REFUSE to acknowledge or talk about is the fact that Sakurai and Iwata talked about character customization. I already listed the only real things that could mean IMO more times than I can remember but "move-sets" is very much one of the ways I think it can be played out.

True. The more I think about the more I would love having the option of having more move sets. It would definitely give the OG characters some new life. I'd even be ok if they only gave the original characters newer movesets. They could have their "classic" moves and their newer moves.

Kokonoe

Banned
This needs to be in smash.

ipN9gpNhMOxuc.gif

And Tails would just be a Fox clone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ness manages to get by just fine with the Mother/Earthbound naming situation.

And Starfox vs Starwing and Lylat Wars.
Or Kirby Super Star vs Kirby's Fun Pak.

This isn't the first time this has happened so I'm surprised he thinks it's an issue.

This isn't the typical meltdown. This is a "I'm seriously endangering my life" meltdown. You can ask someone in the thread to link you, because I didn't like reading that shit.
Well I checked it out, dang it Cow, hope he hasn't done anything regretful.

And Starfox vs Starwing and Lylat Wars.
Or Kirby Super Star vs Kirby's Fun Pak.

This isn't the first time this has happened so I'm surprised he thinks it's an issue.

Considering NoE's new plan of changing the names of as many games as they can, especially download titles, it's a good thing this is a complete non issue.
Ah good old Lylat Wars, now that's a dynamic name change.

This isn't the typical meltdown. This is a "I'm seriously endangering my life" meltdown. You can ask someone in the thread to link you, because I didn't like reading that shit.

Yikes, just read it. Hope everything's okay. I've been active for two months or so and he's been one of the members that sticks in my mind. He'll pull through I'm sure.

GamerSoul

Yea he Has a good rep as far as I know so so he'll probably be back. Sometimes I stay away from the OT sometimes because of such reasons.

I just beat Bayonetta the other day and man she would be an amazing character, I'm officially convinced. The gun problem could be worked around. Her quirkiness would definitely fit in smash. I can imagine a whole scenario where she's out to kill Pit and Palutena. Heh :3

Ahh I see, never heard of that one.

Still, it's an apt reason for Travis, Bayonetta and Snake, but those seem to be the only known ones.

Plus there's this quote:

http://kotaku.com/5310759/no-more-heroes-designer-wants-travis-touchdown-in-next-smash-bros

I love him (Travis), and I want him to be a huge star. That's why I'm working very hard to make this game as interesting as possible. Maybe in the future, we can see him fighting alongside Link in the next Smash Bros. [laughs] That would be great.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I apologized for flashback post, but I would like to point out that I would like to see SSB4 would outclass everything that they have been shelled out for series.

64 have best commercial
Melee have best introduction
brawl have best announcement

So I hope that SSB4 would surpass those trailers.

However, I gathered all links to most of trailers for series which I quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom