• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delfino Plaza
Yoshi's Island
Pirate Ship
Halberd
Spear Pillar
Frigate Orpheon
Castle Siege

That would do me just fine for returning Brawl stages.
I feel most of these have a change of being chosen returning stages as well, though maybe the Halberd and Delfino Plaza would be a bit too much work to bother bringing back (bigger environments and shifting backgrounds I assume would be more work), Lylat Cruise and Mario Circuit/Luigi's Mansion might be more likely candidates. I guess Pokemon stadium 2 and Bridge of Eldin might be easier remakes than the chosen franchise choices up there as well, but really I have no idea.

All I really want is Yoshi's Island back.

Mr. Fix

The only characters I can imagine being in jeopardy are Falco, Wolf, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, Ness or Lucas, Marth or Ike, and Toon Link. The rest of them are solid iconic characters with no suitable replacements and no real reason to remove them. Trimming 7 characters from the roster would already be far more than Melee lost.

Away with you! About Marth, if there'll be a new Fire Emblem rep, I don't think Sakurai would cut out the original face of the series, he'd probably add to that like he did with Ike.

I think Falco would get cut before Wolf just because Sakurai was trying to get Wolf in Smash Bros. since the first game, and I don't think both of them would get cut. Marth won't ever get cut either.

Other than that, I agree with you.

This I didn't know until now. I always thought Falco was a shoo-in, kinda like Luigi.

All Smash characters now come from Pokémon. Any non-Pokémon characters have been cut.

That is too much Poké-love.
Nooo, that's an awesome Pokemon version of Smash and my child-hood dream of playing Pokemon Smash would finally come true. Pokemon and FE are alike in that they are both games that have more than enough characters to fill a fighting game of Smash's scale without you feeling like they're just grabbing random characters with no reason to be included.

Can't say the same for Mario, LoZ or pretty much any series that's not a long line of RPG.

The only characters I can imagine being in jeopardy are Falco, Wolf, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, Ness or Lucas, Marth or Ike, and Toon Link. The rest of them are solid iconic characters with no suitable replacements and no real reason to remove them. Trimming 7 characters from the roster would already be far more than Melee lost.

I think it's clear that Falco and Wolf are safe. Sakurai either really loves the SF series or really loves the fighting style/ move set he gave Fox cause it seems like Smash's "Shoto" seeing as every game so far has had a new character with they're own take on that style. Hell, I think Krystal may be added as the "Sakura".

Lucario seems like he's on the chopping block but PT is objectively THE best rep for the Pokemon games. Pikachu's the series mascot and face for all things Pokemon ... but PT represents YOU, the trainer you play as in the games. I could see them changing his Pokemon and using a trainer model from w/e gen these new Pokemon are from and I can even see them expanding on it with a "Rival/ Gym Leader/ Pokemon Champion/ Dragon Master" new comer but I see no reason to cut PT.

Marth's going nowhere, he's like the golden boy of FE. Ike being replaced by Krom sounds likely. Would love for them to toss in a 3rd FE character that ... doesn't have blue hair and a sword.

I could see Sheik being cut along side Toon Link. Replaced by Impa and w/e new kid Link they put in the 3DS title (which will likely be Toon Link ... but hopefully not!).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Well, Ike have to watch out because he might get replaced by Krom. I hope that they didn't get rid of Pokemon Trainer because I like him.

Murrah

Banned
The thing with Pokemon trainer (at least its current form) is that it represents a weird subset. Like, it's sort of a nostalgia character and a Pokemon character all at once, at least for someone like me who was 9 when R/B came out and whose favorite pokemon is Charizard. I know that FR/LG had just come out or whatever when Brawl first started development, but you're kidding yourself if you think his addition wasn't at least partially for old men like me. And I appreciate it! Pokemon trainer was my most hyped new character aside from Sonic. But Smash Bros. is already so full of nostalgia for me and gen 1 is fairly represented as is that I'd be fine with him being cut or replaced with whatever to allow for newer pokemon to be in the spotlight

As much as I like him he just makes the most logical sense to cut and is the only one I'm even sorta confident on

Kjellson

I don't get why people think Pokémon Trainer may not return? It's a unique idea for a character. Some people are also thinking there will be another PT with more recent Pokémon, but the ones PT use in Brawl wasn't exactly that relevant in 2008 either.

I don't get why people think Pokémon Trainer may not return? It's a unique idea for a character. Some people are also thinking there will be another PT with more recent Pokémon, but the ones PT use in Brawl wasn't exactly that relevant in 2008 either.

If he doesn't return, it would be because he took more time and resources than just about any character and because he wasn't extremely well-received (and I'm not saying he wasn't, just that that they might not think it worth the time to bring him back).

Pokemon Trainer's switching gimmick is exactly how I envisioned Deoxys back when people were still speculating about Brawl. I was excited to be "right" about Pokemon Trainer, but disappointed when Deoxys was revealed to be a Pokeball summon.

Also, depending on the Wii U's hardware, particularly where it comes to memory, read times, etc, it might be significantly easier to do Pokémon Trainer now than it was in Brawl. Who knows?

Nooo, that's an awesome Pokemon version of Smash and my child-hood dream of playing Pokemon Smash would finally come true. Pokemon and FE are alike in that they are both games that have more than enough characters to fill a fighting game of Smash's scale without you feeling like they're just grabbing random characters with no reason to be included.

Can't say the same for Mario, LoZ or pretty much any series that's not a long line of RPG.
Sorry, that isn't a dream I share. That'd be a Pokémon spinoff game, and one I'd happily skip.

I have a good feeling he'll stay. At worst I just expect another Trainer replacing him with a different Gen of starters.

I really don't get why this seems optional to some people here. "Pokemon Trainer" is literally the most logical rep for the Pokemon series along side Pikachu regardless of which gen of Pokemon he uses or which Protag he looks like.

But hey, people here can't give me good reason for Pac-Man to get in other than "because" so ehh. :/

Ridley_zm_Sprite.gif

Kokonoe

Banned
Alright guys, suggest characters that haven't been suggested yet. Let's try to get creative in here again. I'll be off thinking. (doesn't matter how likely it is)

qq more

I really don't get why this seems optional to some people here. "Pokemon Trainer" is literally the most logical rep for the Pokemon series along side Pikachu regardless of which gen of Pokemon he uses or which Protag he looks like.

But hey, people here can't give me good reason for Pac-Man to get in other than "because" so ehh. :/

Did Pac-Man murder your dog or something? There there *pats* we're here for you :'(

Did anyone suggest Pokemon Ranger yet?

I know very few people did suggested Kumatora.

I remember that at least some people on Gamefaqs were pushing for her before Brawl, before Lucas was revealed. I think the idea was that she would make for a better representative of Mother 3 than Lucas because she wouldn't look as similar to Ness.

fisheyes

They should make a game called Super Smash Men

Jumpman
Pacman
Megaman
Rayman
Bomberman
Starman from Pro Wrestling
Starman from Earthbound
Starman from Megaman
Starman from Mario
A bunch of other Megaman Robot Masters
Dancing Man
Happy Mask Salesman

Guest characters:
Superman
Batman
Spiderman
Ironman
He-Man
Morgan Freeman
John Goodman

Why do people want Starman when it's already in the game?

Jumpman
Pacman
Megaman
Rayman
Bomberman
Starman from Earthbound
Starman from Megaman
Starman from Mario
Dancing Man
Happy Mask Salesman

Guest characters:
Superman
Batman
Spiderman
Ironman
He-Man
Morgan Freeman
John Goodman
Also Gordon Freeman and John Freeman who is Gordon Freeman's brother

Alright guys, suggest characters that haven't been suggested yet. Let's try to get creative in here again. I'll be off thinking. (doesn't matter how likely it is)

The shopping bag from 3DS eshop.

Jumpman
Pacman
Megaman
Rayman
Bomberman
Starman from Earthbound
Starman from Megaman
Starman from Mario
Dancing Man
Happy Mask Salesman

Guest characters:
Superman
Batman
Spiderman
Ironman
He-Man
Morgan Freeman
John Goodman

What about Eggman, Vectorman, Lizardman and Pepsiman? And let's not forget Reggie Fils-AiMan.

...that would do me just fine for returning Brawl stages.

I'd put money on Halberd and the Pirate Ship making a return but the others not so much.

Also, if we're suggesting characters who haven't been suggested heavily yet...

awdor_co_leadin.jpg

ANY of these guys, preferably Will (the protag). I think Days of Ruin was the best Advance Wars game without a doubt and Days of Ruin came out too late to be included in Brawl in any way.

Did Pac-Man murder your dog or something?
Nhaaa, just annoying seeing this strange assumption that he's a lock when taking about Namco or some other 3rd party picks when even Namco seems more interested in their other characters getting in.

Sure, I think he should and will be in Smash 4 ... through songs, sound effects, a stage and maybe a few ATs but not as a character. Namco's slot(s) seem far more likely to go to characters and series that are of more interest to their current fans.

You shouldn't be worried about me. If anything you should worry about Ookami-kun ... IDK what his problem is with Krystal. o_O

As for characters no one has talked about yet, I say ... Custom Robo Ray!

qq more

Nhaaa, just annoying seeing this strange assumption that he's a lock when taking about Namco or some other 3rd party picks when even Namco seems more interested in their other characters getting in.

Uh what? I don't believe anyone ever said Pac-Man is a lock. I'm pretty sure we're just saying he a chance of getting in.

If anything you should worry about Ookami-kun ... IDK what his problem is with Krystal. o_O
...No. He's right. Krystal is AWFUL.

Uh what? I don't believe anyone ever said Pac-Man is a lock. I'm pretty sure we're just saying he a chance of getting in.

At this point in time I honestly feel like Pacman is the character closest to a 'lock'. Even more so than Takumaru and Palutena, who I both feel are almost certain (though Palutena is to a lesser extent), but I'd still say Pacman's chances trump them. I can't possibly see him not being a playable character in the game.

And following mini-convos in this thread along with the fact that someone I wont name is willing to bet me $300 that Pac-Man will not only be in smash but be the soul and only Namco character leads me to conclude that yes, there are a lot of people who think he's a given.

Hell, I'm not even dipping into the other online things I see not on gaf where people completely assume that he will be in. It's funny, I looked through a Namco Character thread on the smash forums and only in the pass month or so have the idle of him not being they're rep/ soul rep been gaining ground after a few people point out what Namco has been saying on the topic.

...No. He's right. Krystal is AWFUL.

Ok, why?
And if SF gets a 4th member then why not her?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Iff Star Fox gets a fourth rep it's most likely either Slippy or Leon, or hell Panther if they're generous.

Star Fox is a sausagefest.

qq more

And following mini-convos in this thread along with the fact that someone I wont name is willing to bet me $300 that Pac-Man will not only be in smash but be the soul and only Namco character leads me to conclude that yes, there are a lot of people who think he's a given.
Fair enough. Although I almost wanted to do an avatar bet against you just out of spite. I mean, you were REALLY into thinking he had absolutely no chance as playable.

Hell, I'm not even dipping into the other online things I see not on gaf where people completely assume that he will be in. It's funny, I looked through a Namco Character thread on the smash forums and only in the pass month or so have the idle of him not being they're rep/ soul rep been gaining ground after a few people point out what Namco has been saying on the topic.

That's nice, but I wasn't talking about outside of GAF. But whatever man, I'm tired of talking about Pac-Man. I just wouldn't mind if he gets in the game, he seems very fitting to the Smash Bros universe and he's a gaming icon. So I see nothing wrong with him getting in the game. If he doesn't get in, that's fine, it won't bug me. That's my 2 cents.

Now can we honestly stop going on about Pac-Man now? You're dragging this out way further than necessary. (Seriously, one moment I'm talking about Pokemon Trainer and then the next we're arguing about Pac-Man again.)

Ok, why?
And if SF gets a 4th member then why not her?
She's a terrible character that adds nothing to the franchise. Also I really really hated her as a character in Command.. don't get me started on that game. Oh god.

If I had a choice though, I'd probably pick Leon for the sake of giving Falco his rival character... but I honestly don't think Smash Bros needs another Star Fox character now.

Iff Star Fox gets a fourth rep it's most likely either Slippy or Leon, or hell Panther if they're generous.

Star Fox is a sausagefest.

Why are they more "deserving" than what would be the 4th member of the "trope tree"? The love interest/ female protag fills that spot left after partner/ rival (Falco) and antagonist (Wolf).

Fair enough. Although I almost wanted to do an avatar bet against you just out of spite. I mean, you were REALLY into thinking he had absolutely no chance as playable.
I'm still REALLY into thinking he has "no chance".

Doesn't help that no one's giving out any good reasons for him other then "because he's iconic!".

That's nice, but I wasn't talking about outside of GAF. (And that's why I limited it to this thread ..) But whatever man, I'm tired of talking about Pac-Man. I just wouldn't mind if he gets in the game, he seems very fitting to the Smash Bros universe and he's a gaming icon. So I see nothing wrong with him getting in the game. If he doesn't get in, that's fine, it won't bug me. That's my 2 cents.

Now can we honestly stop going on about Pac-Man now? You're dragging this out way further than necessary. (Seriously, one moment I'm talking about Pokemon Trainer and then the next we're arguing about Pac-Man again.)
Bolded plus you coulda fooled me. Your comment about dogs or w/e was clearly mean't to get a response but ehhh, w/e. You want to drop Pac-Man you can do so ... anyone else want to keep talking Pac Man I'm willing to add my 2 cents. not like there anything else to really do in this thread.

She's a terrible character that adds nothing to the franchise. Also I really really hated her as a character in Command.. don't get me started on that game. Oh god.

If I had a choice though, I'd probably pick Leon for the sake of giving Falco his rival character... but I honestly don't think Smash Bros needs another Star Fox character now.

None of those are real reasons why she shouldn't be in on the objective side, just personal dislikes. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom