• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Touching a character on the tablet screen causes them to trip.

You pick up a "Trip Item" in the game then tap on a player on your tablet screen to make them trip. This can only be used if the player is standing on the ground, any misuses would waste the item.

Balanced?

Ship it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
the_mentor_complex_by_quadforcefive-d4tpr90.png

Yeah that happened.

Anyway revised Dillon moveset.

B - Claw Smash
Releases cash when it strikes enemies, which is used for building, upgrading and repairing towers. Can be charged for more damage with knockback and more cash. Can also be used for repairing towers. Can break guards.

SB - Grinding Attack -> Claw Attack
Chargeable rolling attack. He darts himself in a ball shape which deals continuous damage in a straight line, regardless whether he is on ground or air. Longer charge means farther distance of roll and hits. Pressing B again makes him do Claw Attack, which is a series of claw swipes that deals sweet spot damage.

UB - Russcopter
Ride on Russ's bike with propellers which sends Dillon up while in a rolling form. Can press B to deliver a downward Grinding Attack which can meteor smash enemies.

DB - Construct
Can only be done on ground. Builds a tower. First tower is free of cost, and is a gatling gun tower - a tower that fires a series of weak bullets. Facing a gatling tower and pressing DB again will upgrade the tower to a cannon tower - a tower that fires a single shot that has high knockback and damage. Requires 300 cash to upgrade. Dillon can build more towers (up to three on screen) but costs 100 to build one. Towers have health (75 for gatling gun tower and 100 for cannon tower) and can be repaired with Dillon's B move, with 1HP = 1 cash per repair cost, with 60 HP repaired with a fully charged Claw Smash.

Final Smash - Arma Mode
Goes all sparkling. Rolling attacks deal more damage, go farther, and towers gain improved firing rate.

Damn do I love the style of The rolling western, shame we'll probably never see it again, Dillon for smash gosh darn it!

So PS All-Stars has 3 costumes per character, with 4 colors for each costume.

STEP YO' GAME UP, SAKURAI

"Come on step it up!"
I need my Funky and Swanky DK alts.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'd like to see Zelda dress up as Hikari, and Sheik look like Donbe from Shin Onagashima personally.

Would be a neat costume reference, imo.

Boss Doggie

Huh, now that I think about it...

...if Dillon gets in Smash as a playable character, would his artstyle be altered?

Probably in the same way Toon Link's was. Not cel-shaded, but still given the same cartoony proportions and animation style.

I sort of doubt Dillon would get in as anything more than as an assist trophy though.

Boss Doggie

Probably in the same way Toon Link's was. Not cel-shaded, but still given the same cartoony proportions and animation style.

I sort of doubt Dillon would get in as anything more than as an assist trophy though.

Stop jinxing it!

Also I already said what if :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Would be awesome if one could make their own texture for the stage creator even if those textures were for local use only and sharing the stage online reverted them to some built-in ones.

Would be awesome if one could make their own texture for the stage creator even if those textures were for local use only and sharing the stage online reverted them to some built-in ones.

You scuppered my immediate "what if it were a explicit texture?" query with this, you're on the ball clearly.

The stage creator needed more stuff to it, and it also suffered from SSE style genericness in themes and objects which were a hindrance to try and add effectively to a stage, would it kill them to give us some pipes, Barrel Cannons and so on?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The other problem was you only built the platforms but nothing for the background. Props like trees, bushes, towers and what not would help bring stages to life rather than being a bunch of blocks in space.

GamerSoul

The other problem was you only built the platforms but nothing for the background. Props like trees, bushes, towers and what not would help bring stages to life rather than being a bunch of blocks in space.

That would be pretty interesting to have the ability to create the backrounds also. I never thought of that.

Watch Da Birdie

Played PlayStation All-Stars today, it's really fun and I'm now looking forward to ITS sequel as well as Smash 4. I think the similarity between the two is actually a positive, it'll be nice that Smash has legitimate competition now.

Now, both games have their strengths, and I kind of hope Project Sora "steals" some of SuperBot's ideas...

Particularly, the stages in PSA I'm tempted to say blow Smash's out of the water...well, they don't have the same resonance to me personally, but they're really interactive with a lot of stuff going on in the background, which I would like to see more of in Smash. The idea to have Stage Hazards off DEFINITELY needs to be implemented, so neat level designs like Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong can be played without those fucking springs/Shell Crawlers destroying you.

Mixed Stages are cool, however, if Sakurai does them, I'd only want a few...maybe eight or so? PSA's idea was neat, yet I imagine for fans of Sony, they probably wanted to see tributes to their favorite game without all the cross-over biz.

Basically the Online Mode isn't that amazing, but Smash needs to borrow the basic ideas behind it...the profile cards, titles, profile background, being able to choose win poses, intros, outros, etc...are cool things that would be fun. Maybe allow you to use the Stickers as Icons?

And Classic Mode needs to have intro/outro cut-scenes, they're neat. Get the SSE CG team to do them, so every character has a kick-ass CG introduction. And introduce Rivalries with in-game model cutscenes like PSA.

Boss Doggie

Meh, I still disagree to mix stages. Particularly because in Smash it's more of your characters being stuck in a particular stage of a game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That means, today is the day of or Nintendo. "... Anniversary 14 anniversary 22 Ocarina SNES, when @ Usuton : @ Sora_Sakurai wait eagerly in some new WiiU and 3DS Release 11 anniversary congratulations Smash Bros. DX!! "

ということは、きょうは任天堂の日ですか。スーパーファミコン22周年、時のオカリナ14周年… “@usuton: @Sora_Sakurai スマブラDX発売11周年おめでとうございます!WiiUと3DSでの新作も首を長くして待ってます!”

https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/271090233163018241

It will be 14 years old in two months.

Mr. Fix

No to the stage mashup/ hazards. They're perfectly fine the way they are.

Basically the Online Mode isn't that amazing, but Smash needs to borrow the basic ideas behind it...the profile cards, titles, profile background, being able to choose win poses, intros, outros, etc...are cool things that would be fun. Maybe allow you to use the Stickers as Icons?

And Classic Mode needs to have intro/outro cut-scenes, they're neat. Get the SSE CG team to do them, so every character has a kick-ass CG introduction. And introduce Rivalries with in-game model cutscenes like PSA.

I agree about titles and profile cards. No need for win poses (aren't there several in Brawl already?).

Classic mode needs to stay as it is, classic. I'd rather not risk them making incredibly lackluster, or wasting time on it at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
No to the stage mashup/ hazards. They're perfectly fine the way they are.

I agree about titles and profile cards. No need for win poses (aren't there several in Brawl already?).

Classic mode needs to stay as it is, classic. I'd rather not risk them making incredibly lackluster, or wasting time on it at all.

We already have titles and profile pictures for online feature. We can make any titles whatever we want, and pick icon from limited selection.

each character had 3 win poses, you have to press A, B and X/Y I think.

Classic Mode could use a bit of addressing, actually. It felt rather lackluster in Brawl - I mean, more lackluster than usual. The removal of character-specific Target Smashes, and any other type of bonus game in the middle, certainly didn't help that.

It also doesn't help that 1P Mode in the N64 game was pretty tightly designed around the smaller roster it had. Since there were only 8 characters, each one could have its own specific gimmick. DK was always giant for some reason. You would always fight a multitude of Yoshis and Kirbys. Mario would always have Luigi by his side, provided you'd unlocked him. Obviously, a larger roster from which characters are randomly selected for your fighting pleasure means that such intimate, personal touches like this aren't anywhere near as feasible, but still, I note the loss.

Maybe they could mix it up by reintroducing that aspect. A few characters would go back to having specific gimmicks surrounding them (fighting 30 of really weak foes, fighting a pair of related characters at once, fighting a giant opponent that actually kinda makes sense being giant, maybe some additional new ideas like fighting cloaked foes or something), and every time you reach a stage that calls for that gimmick, a character actually assigned to that gimmick is called up instead of arbitrarily applying that gimmick to any random character.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or a bad idea, but it definitely is an idea.

Oh, and I recall chuckling a bit when Brawl's arbitrary Metal stage decided to give me Sonic. Metal Sonic. Only shame is that it wasn't the actual Metal Sonic (although that'd be an insanely kickass reference for Smash 4).

Played PlayStation All-Stars today, it's really fun and I'm now looking forward to ITS sequel as well as Smash 4. I think the similarity between the two is actually a positive, it'll be nice that Smash has legitimate competition now.

That's what I was thinking when I saw places received it far more positively than I was expecting. Also hope Smash 4 'borrows' Superbot's idea of free DLC characters, even if it's just finishing up characters that were supposed to be in the original game. Though going off the original '20 characters plus' being thrown around leading up to PASBR's release I have a feeling Kat and the Stormhawk guy I don't give two shits about were probably similarly cut for time characters.

Hope they don't copy that game's presentation or music selections, sheesh. Haven't gotten my hands on the game yet but those aspects of the games still seem dreadfully bland considering how bombastic a major company's IP's crossing over should feel.

Classic Mode could use a bit of addressing, actually. It felt rather lackluster in Brawl - I mean, more lackluster than usual. The removal of character-specific Target Smashes, and any other type of bonus game in the middle, certainly didn't help that.

It also doesn't help that 1P Mode in the N64 game was pretty tightly designed around the smaller roster it had. Since there were only 8 characters, each one could have its own specific gimmick. DK was always giant for some reason. You would always fight a multitude of Yoshis and Kirbys. Mario would always have Luigi by his side, provided you'd unlocked him. Obviously, a larger roster from which characters are randomly selected for your fighting pleasure means that such intimate, personal touches like this aren't anywhere near as feasible, but still, I note the loss.

Maybe they could mix it up by reintroducing that aspect. A few characters would go back to having specific gimmicks surrounding them (fighting 30 of really weak foes, fighting a pair of related characters at once, fighting a giant opponent that actually kinda makes sense being giant, maybe some additional new ideas like fighting cloaked foes or something), and every time you reach a stage that calls for that gimmick, a character actually assigned to that gimmick is called up instead of arbitrarily applying that gimmick to any random character.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or a bad idea, but it definitely is an idea.

Oh, and I recall chuckling a bit when Brawl's arbitrary Metal stage decided to give me Sonic. Metal Sonic. Only shame is that it wasn't the actual Metal Sonic (although that'd be an insanely kickass reference for Smash 4).

Brawl's Classic Mode actually did have the odd specific gimmick, or should I say each match up could be one of a few things.

Shamelessly stealing this from a Smash Wiki
Level 1 - The Legend of Zelda, Team or Normal
Level 2 - Yoshi or Donkey Kong, Giant (2 allies), Team, or Normal
Level 3 - Pokémon, Giant (1 ally), Team, or Norma
Level 4 - Fire Emblem or EarthBound, Giant (1 ally), Team, or Normal
Target Smash
Level 5 - Kirby, Giant (1 ally), Team, Multi, or Normal
Level 6 - Metroid or Pikmin, Giant (no allies), Multi, Metal, or Normal
Level 7 - Star Fox or F-Zero, Giant (no allies), Team, Multi, Metal, or Normal
Level 8 - Super Mario Bros, Giant (no allies), Team, Multi, Metal, or Normal
Level 9 - Game & Watch, Kid Icarus, Ice Climber or R.O.B, Giant (no allies), Multi, Metal, or Normal
Level 10 - WarioWare, Metal Gear or Sonic the Hedgehog, Giant (no allies), Multi, Metal or Normal
Target Smash (1 level higher, if played on Intense, level 5 again)
Level 11 - Free for All with three computers on Final Destination
Level 12 - Master Hand/Crazy Hand Battle

Personally I really hated this setup

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've said it before, but I hope I don't have to play through classic mode with every character to unlock something.

I prefer stages were fixed. At most you can make small references to other games like the Balloon Fight fish appearing in the Ice Climber stage (which is a continuation of Melee using the BF music as an alternative track).

Boss Doggie

If anything I thought PSA's victory poses are kinda... weird. It looks more like a cleaner version of Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion than anything else.

Also FYI, PSA didn't do free DLC first this generation. It's MvC3.

Mr. Fix

We already have titles and profile pictures for online feature. We can make any titles whatever we want, and pick icon from limited selection.

each character had 3 win poses, you have to press A, B and X/Y I think.

Ah, I completely forgot about it's online. I'm sure they'll add on to that more for Smash U.

No, they're taking input from the competitive scene and basing the roster off of their opinions.

Unfortunately, some trolls got into the mix and as such, Nintendo's announced that it really will be No Items, Fox-Only, Final Destination

If anything I thought PSA's victory poses are kinda... weird. It looks more like a cleaner version of Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion than anything else.

Also FYI, PSA didn't do free DLC first this generation. It's MvC3.

Unless Jill or Shuma suddenly became free sometime down the line (they're even complete on the disc of the original game), wut?

Anth0ny

brawl's classic mode sucked
brawl's adventure mode sucked
brawl's break the targets sucked
brawl's event matches sucked

brawl's the suckiest game that ever sucked

Boss Doggie

Unless Jill or Shuma suddenly became free sometime down the line (they're even complete on the disc of the original game), wut?

Oh wait, I got the two free because original MvC3 special edition was cheap, nvm :p

Brawl's classic mode is actually not too different from 64's (that is, the "progress" is themed rather than the random lot drawn from Melee).

And wut, Brawl's event matches were pretty cool.

Agreed. Went on for far too long compared to the first two classic modes and felt repetitive with how structured it was (you'd always start with a Zelda-themed fight, then either a DK or Yoshi one, etc.).
brawl's adventure mode sucked
Melee's moreso, just in a different way. I'd say as boring as it is I prefer SSE.
brawl's break the targets sucked
Agree even moreso.
Don't agree at all. Even some of the co-op missions which the previous game didn't have were fun.
brawl's the suckiest game that ever sucked
YEAH WELL AT LEAST I DON'T LIKE SONIC '06 SO TAKE THAT

Ultimately Brawl's main issue is it has too much fat. After playing Uprising I feel Sakurai's realised he can't just throw everything and the kitchen sink into a game and hope most of it sticks. Just about everything in it (besides maybe the AR card system, but that fault lies more with Nintendo since I can never find the damn things), from different gameplay styles to extra modes and extras seems far more 'focused' and well-thought through than Brawl's daunting toybox of crap. Like, who gave a shit about stickers or masterpieces? Put that dev time towards more stages, characters or a functional online mode.

Boss Doggie

Wait, he likes Sonic 2006?

Bahahahaha... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Speaking of terrible fanbases, I wonder if Project M will keep those freaks away from the new Smash. I mean, they're like Gen 1 freaks anyway.

Watch Da Birdie

I liked Subspace Emissary A LOT, and I didn't see anything majorly wrong with Classic Mode, apart from having to beat it multiple times with PT, Samus, and Zelda, but I definitely felt that the Events seemed less...inspired? A lot of them were just weird and nonsensical, like Sakurai threw them together, while the Events in Melee usually had a neat theme. And 5 Target Stages was lame, but not a deal-breaker though.

Also, I think Sakurai meant that Smash 4 wouldn't have the same number of characters, rather he'd introduce roughly the same amount (17, if you count ZSS, and all three Pokemon separately which I do since they all have their own models, taunts, win poses and are the same amount of work as any other character)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom