• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
For some reason I'm in a desperate need for SSB4 news. What are the chances we see a trailer within the hour?

That's not going to happens.

0%

we're all gonna dieeeeeee

*sigh*

:(

I don't wanna wait till June.

It's more likely that we have to wait for e3 2013. 7 more months and two more days.

Someone on the internet suggest that Disney make their own Smash clone.

Disney characters
Pixar characters
Marvel characters
Maybe even Hasbro characters?

Tron vs. Spider-Man vs. Darkwing Duck vs. Mr. Incredible

Mickey Mouse vs. Indiana Jones vs. Hulk vs. Wall-E

Jack Sparrow vs. Jack Skellington vs. Darth Vader vs. Wreck-It Ralph

Oh god I'm having the most ridiculous nerd boner just thinking about it.

Don't... It is not going to happens anyway. According to Square-Enix, they were supposed to make Kingdom Heart fighting game but Disney don't want any disney characters to fight so they changed it into FFD.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
He was already talking about E3 when he said he didn't want to wait till June, and then you said that E3 was more likely. He's saying that you corrected him when you were both talking about the same thing.

I'm not trying to correct him. I am saying that I agreed with him.

GamerSoul

Don't worry, you'll have to wait until september since e3 will be all about Nintendo land 2 for a hour.
KuGsj.gif

:l please...anything but that. Those fire works at the end...yeesh

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So...Ridley.

What about if, when on the ground, his wings just aren't included...think the Other M adolescent form minus the weird hair...and he only uses them for his Specials when in mid-air.

Would that possibly work to curb the size issue? I thought of that today and I think it'd be a fair trade-off to get the last Nintendo bad-boy in.

Javier

November 18, 2012.

First thing people see when they turn on their Wii U is a Smash Bros. 4 trailer, which ends with a notice "Check out our brand new Smash Bros. Dojo website right now!"

Just have his wings fully retracted when he's on the ground, or alternatively since he's been redesigned by the space pirates so many times just make a new, size-appropriate design for SSB4.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So it seems I've missed a pretty big detail regarding SSBU: Sakurai isn't the director?!

Is this true?!

GamerSoul

I doubt it too.

November 18, 2012.

First thing people see when they turn on their Wii U is a Smash Bros. 4 trailer, which ends with a notice "Check out our brand new Smash Bros. Dojo website right now!"

lol yea we can dream. I don't think they understand just mow much hype it would generate. Any other company would be all over it plus more.

Just have his wings fully retracted when he's on the ground, or alternatively since he's been redesigned by the space pirates so many times just make a new, size-appropriate design for SSB4.

Bingo. If Ridley isn't in, Sakurai done messed up.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, and Other M (it sucks, but it did give me this idea) has given them a somewhat basic design to work with through the Adolescent form, as it's pretty much how I'd imagine wingless-Ridley would move while on land.

Watch Da Birdie

Here's my idea for a Ridley moveset then...

Ridley: Quadrupedal, but can stand a bit to grab items with his claws. Crawls around slowly on the ground, crouched over, with his wings shrunken and folded up. Slow walking and dashing speed, two weak jumps, but can latch onto walls. Slightly lighter than Charizard. Horizontally long, but his crouch makes him able to duck under certain attacks.

Normals involve slashing, biting, and whipping his tail, fast but not that strong. For throws, he grabs foes with his tail, pulls them in, and overall has powerful throws.

Up-B Special: Devil Wings. Ridley jumps up and spreads his wings, taking flight like Pit can. He's a bit slow, but can fly longer than Pit and is very maneuverable. If he's hit by a strong attack, and he's a big target, his wings will collapse and he'll be knocked away.To make up for his powerful flying abilities flight time is compounded, and landing doesn't recharge...once he runs out of flight time, his wings will disappear, and he won't be able to fly till it recharges. This leaves him with weak recovery as his normal jumps suck. When using Devil Wings, however, he can use aerial versions of his Specials that are very powerful...but due to the flight time limit, he can't spam his Aerial Specials.

Neutral-B Special: Flare Barrage. Holding B has Ridley lean his head forward and fire up to five fireballs in succession that fly straight forward for a fair distance, low knock-back but decent damage. If you spam it, the fireballs shrink in power and distance each time. When used while jumping, Ridley just fires a single, faster fireball.

When used with Devil Wings, Ridley charges up and sends out a large, powerful Fireball diagonally downward with a lot of force.

Side-B Special: Scorpion Strike. Ridley ducks down, and shoots his tail forward in the general direction of the control stick, piercing foes and knocking them back. The initial charge is a bit long, but the actual attack is fast and unpredictable as your foe doesn't know where it's going to shoot towards. When used while jumping, shoots straight forward, weaker but faster. Can be used to ledge grab as well.

When used with Devil Wings, Ridley shoots it downward, grabs any foe it pierces, and pulls them up and then flings them skyward.

Down-B Special: Nail Scrape. Ridley does a small hop foward and if he catches the opponent with the moves small range, he slams them down to the ground and drags them along the floor, racking up damage before tossing them to the side. When used while jumping, Ridley moves downward, possibly catching a foe and slamming them to the ground head-first. Foes can escape the grab by wriggling around, easier to do the less damage they have.

When used with Devil Wings, Ridley swoops downward and delivers a powerful slash, Meteor Smashing anyone who happens to hit the slash head-on.

Someone on the internet suggest that Disney make their own Smash clone.

Disney characters
Pixar characters
Marvel characters
Maybe even Hasbro characters?

Tron vs. Spider-Man vs. Darkwing Duck vs. Mr. Incredible

Mickey Mouse vs. Indiana Jones vs. Hulk vs. Wall-E

Jack Sparrow vs. Jack Skellington vs. Darth Vader vs. Wreck-It Ralph

Oh god I'm having the most ridiculous nerd boner just thinking about it.
Fluttershy vs. Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious

I'm not sure you can get more ridiculous

I seriously doubt that Nintendo Direct would show first trailer because Reggie said that he have something to show at e3 next year.
Oh that Reggie, he says a lot of things.
I just don't want to have to wait until E3, nor do I want to give any hype to it after the last 2 years of pure dreck.

Of course Nintendo Direct will reveal Smash Bros 4 because Iwata is going to be the newcomer!
If the mii was a newcomer Iwata would no doubt be the mii of choice.

Fluttershy vs. Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious

I'm not sure you can get more ridiculous
Well one of those characters was ultimately defeated by falling to their doom while the other can fly, I think we know who'd win this punch up.

Kjellson

Here comes a stupid question that doesn't really have much with Smash to do, but I'm asking anyway because I'm bored:

I just read that Nintendo now co-owns Fatal Frame with Tecmo Koei, so if Sakurai decided to add a Fatal Frame character in the roster (I don't know any characters from the series btw) what kind of owndership fuss would it be? First party? Second party? Third party? One and-a-half party? Two and-a-half party??

You know, just toying around with future unrepresented Smash franchises. Hehe...

Watch Da Birdie

Cool.

I welcome new franchises in SSB.

I pretty much think that's where Smash needs to go in terms of characters, bar the big remaining villains like Ridley, King K. Rool, and Medusa (and even those last two are debatable).

One thing PSASB is doing right, and I assume will do right in future installments, is giving all their series, even the newer ones, equal standing. Hell, look at the series represented in Smash compared to in All Stars...the newest series in Brawl is Pikmin, yet about half of the Playstation Roster was created after that.

Hell, look at the series represented in Smash compared to in All Stars...the newest series in Brawl is Pikmin, yet about half of the Playstation Roster was created after that.
That's by-and-large because Nintendo hasn't had any major new franchises since then. I mean, they've done a few one-off things like Dillon's Rolling Western (as Doggie would see fit to remind everyone) or Sakura Samurai, but nothing that's taken hold like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Fire Emblem etc. I don't think Wii <Noun> counts, since that doesn't really have any characters worth mentioning by virtue of them using Miis instead.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I pretty much think that's where Smash needs to go in terms of characters, bar the big remaining villains like Ridley, King K. Rool, and Medusa (and even those last two are debatable).

One thing PSASB is doing right, and I assume will do right in future installments, is giving all their series, even the newer ones, equal standing. Hell, look at the series represented in Smash compared to in All Stars...the newest series in Brawl is Pikmin, yet about half of the Playstation Roster was created after that.

That's more to do with PSASB going for their current images with maybe a few old ones. If you ask me it's still not as "varied" as I would hope for, since I was able to make a Sony Smash roster without even touching PS3 era characters and barely PS2 ones.

Problem with Smash is that the titles themselves have many "wanted" characters not just a single one.

No Crash, Spyro, or Cloud. Characters that are almost immediately thought of when you think of Sorny's history.

Big Daddy is in, though. A character from a 360 game that was exclusive for nearly a year before coming to the PS3. That makes a bunch of sense!

Mr. Fix

No Crash, Spyro, or Cloud. Characters that are almost immediately thought of when you think of Sorny's history.

Big Daddy is in, though. A character from a 360 game that was exclusive for nearly a year before coming to the PS3. That makes a bunch of sense!

That's the problem with PS. It's biggest names come from third parties (though they've started rectifying that over the years), so when a game like this is out, it becomes apparent how much stronger they are than their first party lineup (except for maybe Kratos, but even then, he comes after Snake/Crash/Cloud).

It's one of the reasons why I'm glad Nintendo's mostly first party, and that Sakurai probably has a huge influence in deciding on the roster, as opposed to SuperBot.

Boss Doggie

They have a rich first party stuff - it's just that they don't really invest on their popularity.

Hilariously enough people would say "well Nintendo uses their franchises a lot!" Yeah, well I don't see Ice Climbers, a new game using ROB, and Pit only got a new game recently.

Mr. Fix

They have a rich first party stuff - it's just that they don't really invest on their popularity.

Hilariously enough people would say "well Nintendo uses their franchises a lot!" Yeah, well I don't see Ice Climbers, a new game using ROB, and Pit only got a new game recently.

They really should. PSAS could open doors though. I wouldn't mind another legit Ratchet game. Maybe even the revival of the Jak franchise. But eh, Sony.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

There is no PSP or Vita representation, and there is a serie that have two characters, which I am very happy. I don't understand why community just melt down when they found out that we got evil cole.

Boss Doggie

They really should. PSAS could open doors though. I wouldn't mind another legit Ratchet game. Maybe even the revival of the Jak franchise. But eh, Sony.

I was talking about PSA. They have plenty of first party but they're not popular (e.g. Wild Arms, Legend of Dragoon, etc.)

GamerSoul

I just wish that we can see 52-55 characters in SSB4, however I would think that we will more likely get 42-45 character.s

Their three main focus should be getting as much characters in the game as possible, refining the gameplay, and balancing. I'm not too worried about the balancing, Namco has our back so it should passable.

Anth0ny

I think we'll get a Smash Bros teaser next E3. Won't be playable.

Their three main focus should be getting as much characters in the game as possible, refining the gameplay, and balancing. I'm not too worried about the balancing, Namco has our back so it should passable.

Of course, their main focus will be on the much anticipated sequel to Subspace Emissary.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It will be a black screen with Super Smash Bros Wii U (tentative title) coming soon.

And Reggie will just go "That's right. Super Smash Bros is still in... development. And we'll be telling you more about it... at a later date. Moving on..."

Mr. Fix

Yep. Get rid of the Subspace, but keep Boss Battles with completely new ones. Ridley can stay though.

Was Brawl playable at 2006's E3? I dunno, I have a feeling we're getting an actual trailer like that one. It wouldn't be hard, they could just show fewer newcomers, or whoever they've decided on so far.

Watch Da Birdie

I liked Subspace. :(

I still think they should put the Story Mode (change it up, make it more like a Mario Game with a World Map and such) in the 3DS Version, and leave it out of the more multi-player focused Wii U version. That seems like a good compromise, imo.

I think having Nintendo Bosses as Bosses during Classic Mode would be cool for the Wii U Version to. Like, Kracko from Kirby you'd fight during the mid-point or something as a Mini-Boss.

Javier

Bosses I'd like to see:

- Koopalings (In the Bowser Clown Copter)
- Trinnex (Zelda LttP)
- Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
- Giygas (Earthbound,
Taunt nine times to beat him
)
- Tiki King (I think that's his name, it's the final boss from DKC Returns)
- Dark Emperor (Find Mii II)
- Medusa (Kid Icarus, I think this has a better chance of her being playable)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

It's obvious.

It will be a black screen with Super Smash Bros Wii U (tentative title) coming soon.

And Reggie will just go "That's right. Super Smash Bros is still in... development. And we'll be telling you more about it... at a later date. Moving on..."

It wouldn't happens. I would be shocked if it did. I meant Sakurai started working on SSB4 on Feb 21, 2012 by blogging that he is looking at the smash dojo.

They said that they have prototype ready during June 21/22, so it would be stupid if they didn't show any trailer at e3.

Was Brawl playable at 2006's E3? I dunno, I have a feeling we're getting an actual trailer like that one. It wouldn't be hard, they could just show fewer newcomers, or whoever they've decided on so far.

Yeah, we will.

Bosses I'd like to see:

- Koopalings (In the Bowser Clown Copter)
- Trinnex (Zelda LttP)
- Ashera (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
- Giygas (Earthbound,
Taunt nine times to beat him
)
- Tiki King (I think that's his name, it's the final boss from DKC Returns)
- Dark Emperor (Find Mii II)
- Medusa (Kid Icarus, I think this has a better chance of her being playable)

I wish, but I doubt for most of them to happen. I preferred to see Medusa being playable. You must beat Boss Battle to unlock Medusa, which would make sense.

Watch Da Birdie

I thought a cool thing for the Story Mode is what if Sakurai made it a continuation of Kid Icarus Uprising, like a pseudo-sequel? SSE was full-on Kirby in some instances, so it wouldn't surprise me if Pit takes more prominence.

My idea was what if he utilized the Aurum? They were pretty interesting characters, so maybe they could come back and create some giant Aurum Island that's a conglomeration of multiple Nintendo Worlds they've assimilated. Anyway, Pit would be sent to stop them, and once there he'd meet all the other Nintendo characters who are trying to save their world. So, the whole Aurum subplot, which came out of nowhere in Kid Icarus, would actually be a little foreshadowing...like all the Avenger hints in the Marvel movies leading up to it.

Anyway, all the villains would also be on the Island, and would bond together to defeat all the heroes and then rule the world. King DeDeDe would be the one who united them all together and, as a throwback to his fate of being possessed in Kirby Games, he'd actually be controlled by Hades. And all the other villains would be scheming, like Ganondorf waiting for the heroes to be destroyed before destroying all the other villains and becoming King, Medusa being suspicious of DeDeDe and aiding the Heroes secretly, and Wolf only being a hired gun and wishing simply to take down Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom