• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah while I thought SSE dragged on it's actually a real adventure mode, as opposed to Melee's only 3 levels of adventure with the rest being rehash of classic mode.

I honestly just took that 'having 50 characters isn't enough' quote as just Sakurai meaning they can't just keep adding characters to the series and calling it a day. The way this quote has been thrown around is almost as annoying as that stupid 'Japanese radio show' rumor for Brawl which said the Ice Climbers and Mr. G&W were cut in favor of Bowser Jr websites kept reporting as fact.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I honestly just took that 'having 50 characters isn't enough' quote as just Sakurai meaning they can't just keep adding characters to the series and calling it a day. The way this quote has been thrown around is almost as annoying as that stupid 'Japanese radio show' rumor for Brawl which said the Ice Climbers and Mr. G&W were cut in favor of Bowser Jr websites kept reporting as fact.

You meant this one.

From humble beginnings the original Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64 had just 12 characters in its roster. Each sequel from then on had its roster increase in size from 25 on GameCube to 36 on Wii.
The next installment of Super Smash Bros. on the Wii U and 3DS however, will unlikely have a larger roster. Director Masahiro Sakurai has said the game "has probably already reached the limits of what's feasible", stating that a larger roster isn't what the new game needs, but rather "a change of direction."

Sakurai isn't looking at the next Super Smash Bros. in terms of how many characters will be playable, but how the series can be refreshed in a way that he says will "hinge on the connection between the 3DS and Wii U versions."

Hey guys, let's talk about items!
mega-man-2-41.png

I like Items. Heat Man's stage is a bitch without them.

I'd like to see Red Shells again. It felt so weird to have the Green Shells, but not the Red variants.

Maybe they can add blue shells, which will attack whoever has the highest score/most lives left. Unless that'd be who picked it up, in which case it acts like a green shell, I guess.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I definitely think we'll get some item from Kid Icarus, since Sakurai worked on it and all and a lot of the items seemed like they were made to be included in Smash down the road.

Perhaps those Jump Mats? That'd be fun, placing down a little mat that propels someone skyward, like placing it strategically, waiting for an opponent to hit it and be thrown into the air where you're waiting with a powerful Smash Attack.

Also, some item allowing Tether Recovery in addition to long-range attacking, a whip basically. The Skyward Sword whip perhaps?

Boss Doggie

I definitely think we'll get some item from Kid Icarus, since Sakurai worked on it and all and a lot of the items seemed like they were made to be included in Smash down the road.

Perhaps those Jump Mats? That'd be fun, placing down a little mat that propels someone skyward, like placing it strategically, waiting for an opponent to hit it and be thrown into the air where you're waiting with a powerful Smash Attack.

Also, some item allowing Tether Recovery in addition to long-range attacking, a whip basically. The Skyward Sword whip perhaps?

Now that I think about it, yeah we need a whip-like weapon. Since Melee we never saw new weapon items.

Boss Doggie

Time to troll by thinking of Slippy being added in the game! HAHAHAHA!

His Smashes are all reflector attacks, yes! Trade off is that they act more like Falco's (albeit less in range but more in power), and therefore hard to use defensively. Up is an arcing toss, side is the one done similarly by Falco, and down is a typical reflector attack except more power and push.

I think his special attacks should be awkward. Like tossing small smart bombs, having a powerful but hard to use laser gun, a wonky jetpack to mimic the fire moves, and possibly a headbutt attack.

I doubt at this rate Smash is ever going to have a game-specific Zelda character. Sheik is in a weird grey area where she was supposed to be in TP at one point and at least one other version of Zelda has the ability to 'transform' between forms so.

So you people better start banking on Tingle!

I thought the deal with Sheik was that she wasn't supposed to be in Twilight Princess, but Sakurai commissioned the character designer to give him a design as if she was?

Watch Da Birdie

I doubt at this rate Smash is ever going to have a game-specific Zelda character. Sheik is in a weird grey area where she was supposed to be in TP at one point and at least one other version of Zelda has the ability to 'transform' between forms so.

Tingle SHOULD GET IN, but it should be Tingle Series Tingle who is practically his own character and quite different from Zelda Tingle. Give him his own Series like Wario!

I was thinking his moves would simply gain him Rupees, allowing him to Summon Body Guards (who would act like the second Ice Climber, following him around and mimicking his moves) who would be capable of actually scoring KOs.

ffdgh

Bring back the parasol as an melee/recovery item...tho i mostly want it for peach up b again :p.

on an unrelated note, I'm torn between a classic styled bowser castle or a galaxy version.

ffdgh

The castle theme for the nsmb series is perfect even tho its worn out to death lol. The bahs really didn't belong in the 3ds game.

Tingle SHOULD GET IN, but it should be Tingle Series Tingle who is practically his own character and quite different from Zelda Tingle. Give him his own Series like Wario!

I was thinking his moves would simply gain him Rupees, allowing him to Summon Body Guards (who would act like the second Ice Climber, following him around and mimicking his moves) who would be capable of actually scoring KOs.
Oh I wasn't being sarcastic or anything, I think Tingle would be a really fun, eccentric character in Smash. I just know the vast majority (in the US anyway) would probably loathe his inclusion.

Also yeah, Sheik was probably planned for TP before the game was heavily revamped midway through development. Don't think we even saw any sort of hint towards the twilight realm stuff or Midna until late '05/'06 (and it was revealed in E3 '04 I think?)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh I wasn't being sarcastic or anything, I think Tingle would be a really fun, eccentric character in Smash. I just know the vast majority (in the US anyway) would probably loathe his inclusion.

Also yeah, Sheik was probably planned for TP before the game was heavily revamped midway through development. Don't think we even saw any sort of hint towards the twilight realm stuff or Midna until late '05/'06 (and it was revealed in E3 '04 I think?)

Yeah, that might be it. I hope that their inclusions for SSB4 would be epic and exciting.

Watch Da Birdie

Bowser Castle would be a cool stage.

Have the central platform have a giant Thwomp above it that smashes down, and make the only other platforms two small ones on the side, and two small "fall-through" platforms in the air. The rest of the level would be LAVA. There'd be a bridge covering the right side of Lava, though, but you could hit the switch hard enough and cause the axe to break it, limiting the battlefield to the small platforms.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
New Rumor

Namco-Bandai is working with Sakurai to get a fully working demo at E3 for Smash Bros. Sakurai really took to heart the complaints about the single player game and the online game. He is solving this by making the single player very deep this time done by the Tales series people and is planning to have a Network Beta of the game for download the day of Nintendo’s E3 show. This way they can beta test online for about one year before they ship the game.

http://dualpixels.com/2012/11/29/ru...y-hardware-and-third-party-softwear-next-gen/

GamerSoul

Never! I'll neva change.

Are there any fighting or just general mechanics you would like to see in this Smash? I find this topic hard to talk about because almost every character plays differently from each other so the each have their own set of mechanics. Some have counters, others cancels, projectiles etc. so it's hard to find a mechanic they all could share.

I'd like to see more characters with a combo string like Marth's forward Special. If they're improved on for more characters, it can definitely bring a bit of excitement and depth to those characters. I'd imagine Lil Mac having multiple jab combo options that could help set up different smashes. This wouldn't naturally work for a lot of characters but it would a nice way to expand on their moveste.

Multiple stances/movesets:
Like we have discussed time and time again. Having multiple movesets options breathe new life to the older characters while allowing Smash Vets to use their characters the way they have always used them. It would also be interesting if they implemented in-game stances but it would probably just be minimal changes. Like having Ganondorf limited to mostly sword swings if he would switch to his sword.

And.....no tripping.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Never! I'll neva change.

Are there any fighting or just general mechanics you would like to see in this Smash? I find this topic hard to talk about because almost every character plays differently from each other so the each have their own set of mechanics. Some have counters, others cancels, projectiles etc. so it's hard to find a mechanic they all could share.

I'd like to see more characters with a combo string like Marth's forward Special. If they're improved on for more characters, it can definitely bring a bit of excitement and depth to those characters. I'd imagine Lil Mac having multiple jab combo options that could help set up different smashes. This wouldn't naturally work for a lot of characters but it would a nice way to expand on their moveste.

Multiple stances/movesets:
Like we have discussed time and time again. Having multiple movesets options breathe new life to the older characters while allowing Smash Vets to use their characters the way they have always used them. It would also be interesting if they implemented in-game stances but it would probably just be minimal changes. Like having Ganondorf limited to mostly sword swings if he would switch to his sword.

And.....no tripping.

Definitely, they need to take tripping out of the game.

Well I would love to have several concepts from umvc3 but I want them to give it smash vibe instead.

Item Based Character
Example: Phoenix Wright (UMVC3)
Candiate: Balloon Fighter or Duck Hunt Dog/Laughing Dog

Balloon Fighter could pump up to 3 Balloons which would be Down+B, however I have plan for Duck Hunt Dog. if you press down taunt, which will have brief slow start up for him to pick up knocked out ducks. He can pick up to three ducks which would help him to recover better, and buff his damages.

Multiple Stance -
Candiate: King K. Rool

Down + B or Taunt: He would pull out crown or pirate hat and put on his head so he would have two different moveset based on Crown or Pirate hat.

Combo Character -
Example: Lucario in Project Melee
Candiate: Little Mac

Just like you mentioned in your OP.

Level Character -
Example: Frank West (UMVC3)
Candiate: Mike Jones or Shulk

Naturally, you have to level up your characters to boost up the power of attacks and items would changed. So it would work way better for RPG characters, such as Mike Jones, Shulk, etc.

Copy Character
Example: Kirby
Candiate: Mega Man

Once Mega Man beat the characters (by knocking them out of the stage or etc) He would have an access to the power by pressing down + taunt, so he can change different "armors" during the battle depend on whom Mega Man absorbed their powers. He can hold up to 3 different powers, at long if he knocked them out himself.

I will type more later when I have free time.

A single player campaign by the tales guys would end up even longer and more repetitive in level design than SSE.

Multiple stance K.Rool is a must I tell you.

Boss Doggie

To be fair Olimar is item-based (via Pikmin), Zelda/Shiek works as "stances" (although instead of stances it's forms), and a bunch of speedsters are combo people (and sadly the top tiers in Smash games). Levels are a new thing, but considering how Smash does it stuff (nothing being unique to a character in the HUD) I guess they'll have the character look different/have an aura for higher levels.

Speaking of forms, I wish they add a Pokemon that can change forms. Meloetta will be cool, and I wouldn't mind Keldeo too!

So you think Namco Bandai will have any reps in this game? I wouldn't mind something classic like Pac-Man or Mappy.
I expect Pac-Man, but I'd kinda like Klonoa :>

To be fair Olimar is item-based (via Pikmin), Zelda/Shiek works as "stances" (although instead of stances it's forms), and a bunch of speedsters are combo people (and sadly the top tiers in Smash games). Levels are a new thing, but considering how Smash does it stuff (nothing being unique to a character in the HUD) I guess they'll have the character look different/have an aura for higher levels.
It's not quite the same thing, but Lucario kinda strikes me as level-based - it's just your "level" is represented by how much damage you took.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Speaking of forms, I wish they add a Pokemon that can change forms. Meloetta will be cool, and I wouldn't mind Keldeo too!

Well, I always look at Olimar as summoning character where he would summon the characters to power himself up, just like few characters from capcom fighting games.

Also I'm okay with them using few concept again since they might work differently than what we already have. Also I think we should have new "Kirby" character where they can copy people's powers.

I have best candiate for that, which is Mega Man.

Once Mega Man beat the characters (by knocking them out of the stage or etc) He would have an access to the power by pressing down + taunt, so he can change different "armors" during the battle depend on whom Mega Man absorbed their powers. He can hold up to 3 different powers, at long if he knocked them out himself.

I know it sound like too much work, but it's fun to playing around with moveset theories.

Boss Doggie

Why taunt? What I love about Smash is that it has many taunts, I don't want to lose them :(

And Pikmin, as much as they are cute, are just items by the end of the day. In a way, summons are sorta like that :p

And yeah I want Keldeo now. His final smash could be summoning the three musketeers.

GamerSoul

Man, how did I miss that rumor yesterday? Sounds too good, and Sakurai would probably want to make the single player deeper rumor or not.

Definitely, they need to take tripping out of the game.

Well I would love to have several concepts from umvc3 but I want them to give it smash vibe instead.

Item Based Character
Example: Phoenix Wright (UMVC3)
Candiate: Balloon Fighter or Duck Hunt Dog/Laughing Dog

Balloon Fighter could pump up to 3 Balloons which would be Down+B, however I have plan for Duck Hunt Dog. if you press down taunt, which will have brief slow start up for him to pick up knocked out ducks. He can pick up to three ducks which would help him to recover better, and buff his damages.

Multiple Stance -
Candiate: King K. Rool

Down + B or Taunt: He would pull out crown or pirate hat and put on his head so he would have two different moveset based on Crown or Pirate hat.

Combo Character -
Example: Lucario in Project Melee
Candiate: Little Mac

Just like you mentioned in your OP.

Level Character -
Example: Frank West (UMVC3)
Candiate: Mike Jones or Shulk

Naturally, you have to level up your characters to boost up the power of attacks and items would changed. So it would work way better for RPG characters, such as Mike Jones, Shulk, etc.

Copy Character
Example: Kirby
Candiate: Mega Man

I will type more later when I have free time.

And I never thought of the levels ability, it could be fun. Also, having more interesting Item characters is something I strongly we will have in the end. It seems the most likely since each character is unique to a series or to a type of playing style.

I don't mind losing a taunt to have that ability for Megaman. I think that would be pretty awesome. It might be a bit broken since he would have so much at his disposal, so maybe only have 1 or 2 powers? idk he IS Megaman so I wouldn't be complaining.

Boss Doggie said:

Yea, I'm not saying every mechanic has to be totally new, they can be enhanced and used differently for more characters. Like the Lucario mechanic working for a Shulk.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why taunt? What I love about Smash is that it has many taunts, I don't want to lose them :(

And Pikmin, as much as they are cute, are just items by the end of the day. In a way, summons are sorta like that :p

And yeah I want Keldeo now. His final smash could be summoning the three musketeers.

They can keep taunts but giving taunt something to work with, like Kirby. He lose his power if you use his taunt.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I expect Pac-Man, but I'd kinda like Klonoa :>

It's not quite the same thing, but Lucario kinda strikes me as level-based - it's just your "level" is represented by how much damage you took.

Well, I labeled Lucario as Blood/Bleed Character.

Blood/Bleed Character is a character that would give up their healths to cause heavy damages, and Lucario had to be at high percent to able to do a lot of damages. I forget some examples, but I can think of Nova and Pichu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom