• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Regardless of him being perceived mainly as a "Sony character," Snake definitely deserves to be in Smash Bros. -- he's Konami's biggest character, and I'd like to see each of the major Japanese publishers have their mascot (or equivalent) in the game.

Konami - Snake
Sega - Sonic
Square Enix - Slime
Namco Bandai - Pac-Man
Capcom - Mega Man

Regardless of him being perceived mainly as a "Sony character," Snake definitely deserves to be in Smash Bros. -- he's Konami's biggest character, and I'd like to see each of the major Japanese publishers have their mascot (or equivalent) in the game.

Konami - Snake
Sega - Sonic
Square Enix - Slime
Namco Bandai - Pac-Man
Capcom - Mega Man

Replace Mega Man with Ryu or something because Megaman is dead.
How would Slime work?

I think Ryu would be a bit of a waste, having a character from a fighting game transferring over to another isn't all that interesting as they have established movesets etc.

Kjellson

Is Fawful even a realistic expectation? Actually asking because I have no idea if he's still relevant or not these days. Would be a nice rep for an RPG Mario game, honestly.
He doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell, but he should have. I think the Mario RPG series are underrepresented in these kinds of games.

Ryce

How would Slime work?
I don't know a whole lot about Slime (I've never played a Dragon Quest game), but Google pulls up a bunch of fan move-sets that could be reworked into something presentable:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/59406499
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-/60885641
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/59748201

All I know is that Square Enix deserves to have a character in Smash Bros., and Dragon Quest is more popular than Final Fantasy in Japan. It also helps that Slime is uncontestedly the face of Dragon Quest, whereas Final Fantasy doesn't really have a singular iconic mascot -- there are Chocobos and Moogles, but they don't strike me as the "playable character in a fighting game" type.

Slime's playable in Itadaki Street DS, Mario Sports Mix, and Fortune Street, so I guess he has that going for him, too.

Well I don't know about you guys but i'm in the mood for BEEFburgers tonight, I hope you have a doctorate in deliciousness as well professor.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Make Slime the Rocket Slime. :)

I like the trifecta of Bomberman, Mega Man, and Pac-Man myself since they're all cute and "work" besides the Nintendo characters. Plus, I dunno, three "man" characters rocks.

Ryce

I'd have been open to Bomberman in Melee or Brawl, but he's technically a Konami character now, and I'd rather see Snake return. Konami getting two characters would throw things out of whack. It also doesn't help that Bomberman's somehow less relevant than even Mega Man these days.

I'd have been open to Bomberman in Melee or Brawl, but he's technically a Konami character now, and I'd rather see Snake return. Konami getting two characters would throw things out of whack. It also doesn't help that Bomberman's somehow less relevant than even Mega Man these days.

Less relevant than Mega Man is pretty bad.

fisheyes

Can we go back to this...
Here is a refreshingly realistic roster that I saw posted on GameFAQs of all places:
...for just a second?

I know I've said this before, but: At what point in any of the 3 Smash Bros games have they gone for the most obvious choices? If somebody told you to pick the 12 most notable Nintendo characters when the original was released, would you pick Fox, Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, hell, even Samus at that point? For Melee, Ice Climbers, Marth, Mr Game & Watch (and that's not even touching the clones, which were pretty much 50% absolute oddball choices). And in Brawl, even as we got more and more people speculating and calling for 'out there' choices, shortening the group of true 'surprise' characters, we still got Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Lucas AND Ness (how could they both be in?), and, of course, the grandaddy of all weird choices, Snake.

Why, suddenly, would Smash 4 play it safe?

Watch Da Birdie

The only other Konami guy I can think of is a Castlevania Rep (Simon Belmont?), but then again it's not him in the new 3DS Castlevania, is it? But maybe make it Simon Belmont, and throw in references to the new titles.

Actually, IIRC Star Fox 64 was pretty big at the time of Smash 64, so that wouldn't have been that out-there.

Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff or Ness, though? That'd be stretching it a bit.

Watch Da Birdie

Actually, IIRC Star Fox 64 was pretty big at the time of Smash 64, so that wouldn't have been that out-there.

Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff or Ness, though? That'd be stretching it a bit.

This was when the Pokemon Series, and Anime was HUGE, and Jigglypuff was a regular, reoccurring character who everyone loved. Her being in seemed perfectly natural to me back then.

It's funny though how some of the series in Smash 64 never caught fire...Star Fox starred in a game that wasn't actually his, and two other disliked games, F-Zero got GX and some forgettable GBA games, and Yoshi's franchise was barren for a long time, making his inclusion as a separate series character a bit odd looking back. Even Donkey Kong basically was demoted to side-games for years bar DK64.

Simon Belmont is one of the playable characters in Mirror of Fate, though if a Belmont were here in SSB i'd sooner have want Trevor Belmont for his spiffy coat, sure beats Simon's barbarian getup.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I might be new to NeoGAF, but I'm not new to the Internet, and I'm certainly not new to Smash Bros. Again, it isn't my place to dissuade you from what you want to believe, but the absurdity of "Roy is more likely than Chrom" and "Mewtwo is more likely than a fifth generation Pokémon" will never escape me. Hell, I'll "gamble" to the extent that NeoGAF will allow (avatar betting?).

I am not serious on the betting since that is probably against the rules. However, if it isn't I would because that is how confident I am about Mewtwo's eventual return.

It's not against the rules to betting for avatars or anything else. Maybe you must thought of our current rule that we can't bet for permabans, which is pretty much against the rules. IIRC

Kokonoe

Banned
Mewtwo is such a badass mofo. So glad he's still relevant to Pokemon fans. I hope he gets in Smash Bros 4.

Yes, hopefully so. Hopefully it's the same tried and true design, but I think it has a chance of that since Pikachu and Jiggles hasn't changed.

Ugh, if Mewtwo or Roy make it back in above any other character, I think I'll be sick. Both weren't that great as characters in Melee, and Mewtwo is really overrated in my opinion. I'd honestly rather have a Gen V/VI rep and Lyn/Chrom over them any day of the week.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah screw Mewtwo, I want TRANSFORMING GENESECT!

The only "source" I had was a leaker who said ROB was a playable character in Brawl. This person said he had connections to beta testers at NOA. No one believed this guy, and got flamed because he had no proof. I sent PMs to him privately for any more information about the roster (of which the only additional things I got were that Marth and Ness were on the roster too). I noticed what he way saying was lining up with other leakers who had been saying correct things up until that point, and assembled a roster based on what those three leakers were saying.

So it was towards the end of the "leak" where he was wrong then?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ugh, if Mewtwo or Roy make it back in above any other character, I think I'll be sick. Both weren't that great as characters in Melee, and Mewtwo is really overrated in my opinion. I'd honestly rather have a Gen V/VI rep and Lyn/Chrom over them any day of the week.

Psssh. I would love to see Roy again, but if he didn't get in. No big deal.

I'd really like Mewtwo back but i'd also rather have some pokemon from each Gen if possible, ideally for me i'd perform what the SSB community dub as heresy and just cut Jiggs and put Mewtwo back in (or Charizard by himself with an overhaul), leave in Lucario for Gen 4 and then add two more pokemon from some of the other gens.

Pikachu
Mewtwo or Charizard or Jigglypuff
Lucario
*new pokemon*
*new pokemon*

Yeah I know this also cuts out the pokemon trainer concept but don't most people dislike the whole switching and stamina system? I don't mind it myself but i'd rather have movesets spent on more diverse character options across the board.

And not that I really have my finger on the pulse of what the kids like these days but surely Charizard and Mewtwo have held onto more popularity than Jigglypuff.

Nothing is overrated or underrated, everyone just has their own opinions.

I've seen this enough to officially make it your catchphrase, it's now marketable!

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah but I'm sick of Gen I representation being overabundant.

All dat sexy genesect

Well to be fair on my part, Mewtwo is actually my favorite Pokemon (along with Rayquaza). So that's why you'll see me praise it on a consistent basis. Shame Gen III was skipped, though.

I've seen this enough to officially make it your catchphrase, it's now marketable!

Yes. One day at a time I will inspire change in the overrated and underrated dispute hearts of those on GAF. This is my ninja way.

Watch Da Birdie

Rayquaza being a boss battle was a fair trade-off, imo. Even if it doesn't make any sense for Rayquaza to be in a lake since he hangs out in the atmosphere and everything. But still, when DOJO had the video of him attacking Diddy Kong, I freaked the fuck out.

But now I'd like to see Nobunaga from Conquest with his black-face Rayquaza as a summon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well to be fair on my part, Mewtwo is actually my favorite Pokemon (along with Rayquaza). So that's why you'll see me praise it on a consistent basis. Shame Gen III was skipped, though.

That's why I'm more on less fattening on Genwunner reps.

Rayquaza being a boss battle was a fair trade-off, imo. Even if it doesn't make any sense for Rayquaza to be in a lake since he hangs out in the atmosphere and everything. But still, when DOJO had the video of him attacking Diddy Kong, I freaked the fuck out.

But now I'd like to see Nobunaga from Conquest with his black-face Rayquaza as a summon.

Yeah I have been petitioning Nobunaga as playable for Zekrom/Rayquaza deliciousness

Rayquaza did at least get boss representation as Birdie said, really it couldn't get much better for a pokemon that would never be playable.
The SSE boss lineup was so lame in retrospect, needed more Nintendo bosses, somehow Petey Piranha was one of the few Nintendo bosses that got in attacking with his signature move of Princess Cages, toxic goop? what's that?
But they were all relatively fun to fight though, i've got my intense boss battles badge of honour.

Yes. One day at a time I will inspire change in the overrated and underrated dispute hearts of those on GAF. This is my ninja way.
To break the cycle of hostility in this Gaf world, how idealistic but naive, I was once like you but then after tragic opinion dismissals I turned totally bitter...okay so I was never like that.
I can call it your member way from now on.

Considering he's had a role in all 3 M&L games from main henchman, small cameo and finally to main villain I think Fawful should actually be one of the more possible Mario choices, the RPG games are still ignored in SSB.
Though he seems more like an AT role on the whole, an AT that must happen.

Geno has nothing on that.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh, I wasn't talking about Rayquaza specifically I was just also mentioning it. I meant there should have been a Gen III Pokemon to play as at least in Brawl. I mean Rayquaza being a boss still makes me happy to this day.

Watch Da Birdie

I'd love to see Kirby's Metal Lobster as a boss in Smash 4, he's the coolest Kirby Boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom