• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of third-party characters, I know that realistically only characters who are big icons for their companies at the moment, but I'd like it if, aside from Sonic and Snake, the third-party characters were characters who were heavily associated with Nintendo because they had classic games on Nintendo platforms or something. Like, if they just lifted the character lineup from Super Mario Crossover and used Ryu Hayabusa, Mega Man, Bill Rizer, and Simon Belmont, that would be cool with me.

Can we go back to this...

...for just a second?

I know I've said this before, but: At what point in any of the 3 Smash Bros games have they gone for the most obvious choices? If somebody told you to pick the 12 most notable Nintendo characters when the original was released, would you pick Fox, Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff, hell, even Samus at that point?

For Melee, Ice Climbers, Marth, Mr Game & Watch (and that's not even touching the clones, which were pretty much 50% absolute oddball choices). And in Brawl, even as we got more and more people speculating and calling for 'out there' choices, shortening the group of true 'surprise' characters, we still got Pokemon Trainer, Wolf, Lucas AND Ness (how could they both be in?), and, of course, the grandaddy of all weird choices, Snake.

Why, suddenly, would Smash 4 play it safe?

If you were picking from a variety of series and not just going with a bunch of Mario and Pokemon characters, I bet you would end up getting the majority of the characters who were actually in the first Smash Bros. Both F-Zero games were million-sellers, Jigglypuff was a big mascot at the time (although I bet people making this hypothetical choice would have thought of Mewtwo first). Marth and Lucas, at least, were pretty obvious picks too.

I think if you look at this from the perspective of someone who just plays some Nintendo games but isn't an ultra-hardcore fan who goes on the Internet and reads discussion about this kind of stuff, then you might get totally blindsided by the characters in each Smash Bros. But I think that excluding the retro characters, Melee's clone characters, the non-Nintendo characters, and some of the oddball choices like Pokemon Trainer and Zero Suit Samus, none of the games have rosters that are that crazy to forum people like us. With every Smash Bros. game that comes out, we're getting a better and better understanding of where Sakurai is coming from when he picks the characters for each game.

Oh, I wasn't talking about Rayquaza specifically I was just also mentioning it. I meant there should have been a Gen III Pokemon to play as at least in Brawl. I mean Rayquaza being a boss still makes me happy to this day.

Yeah, Deoxys should be playable for Smash 4. He could have a B move for every form!

Plus, he's the superior Psychic-type Legendary :p

Snakey

Chrom fights for his friends:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psyvqda827ell5m/009.JPG

ike_070801a-l.jpg

ffdgh

But deoxys is already in brawl.....but with that insane 1/493 chance its not surprising that many will never see it.

Next smash legend encounters will be 1/649...or higher if the new games comes out......yay~

Chrom fights for his friends:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/psyvqda827ell5m/009.JPG

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/ike/ike_070801a-l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Didn't you post the exact same thing two pages back?

[quote="ffdgh, post: 45373533"]But deoxys is already in brawl.....but with that insane 1/493 chance its not surprising that many will never see it.

Next smash legend encounters will be 1/649...or higher if the new games comes out......yay~[/QUOTE]

NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Playable Deoxys with his [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zdajUfrD4k]battle theme[/url] or bust!

Not to bring up the hostility again regarding the Mewtwo discussion, but I can only back Snakey in his strong position for both Roy and Mewtwo.

In addition to being among the most requested characters in Japan (and I trust him in that regard, I've known him for quite a while and we have worked on educated speculation together on Smashboards), Roy was the penultimate and Mewtwo the final character to be cut from the roster. Furthermore, Mewtwo also was scrapped VERY late in development. Maybe even so late that whatever caused his removal was the reason why the game was delayed.

Speculation in the last line, of course, but everything else is true.

The fact that Mewtwo to this date is one of the most requested characters AND still one of the most popular characters of the series speaks for itself.
I can't talk about Roy since I don't know much about Fire Emblem, but I assume his inclusion into the 3DS Fire Emblem as DLC character surely has a reason, and might also have some impact on Smash.

Snakey

Didn't you post the exact same thing two pages back?!

It got overlooked and was posted at the bottom of the page where I last posted it. I still think its funny though. That Ike picture is from the Dojo btw.

Red, most of the previous lords in the Fire Emblem series became DLC and got re-designs for FE13. The only few that didn't were Sigurd, Eliwood, and Hector. However, the Roy re-design probably had the most positive feedback of all the re-designs for the lords (there were a few stinkers as far re-designs went such as Eirika, Ike, and especially Micaiah).

Red, most of the previous lords in the Fire Emblem series became DLC and got re-designs for FE13. The only few that didn't were Sigurd, Eliwood, and Hector. However, the Roy re-design probably had the most positive feedback of all the re-designs for the lords (there were a few stinkers as far re-designs went such as Eirika, Ike, and especially Micaiah).

I know that. :D
And I saw the Micaiah re-design, it was atrocious, hah. I remember Ephraim looking really cool. Wasn't Eirika the one who got placed in that frilly dress that doesn't suit her character from Sacred Stones at all, and where she holds a staff instead of a rapier?

Snakey

I know that. :D
And I saw the Micaiah re-design, it was atrocious, hah. I remember Ephraim looking really cool. Wasn't Eirika the one who got placed in that frilly dress that doesn't suit her character from Sacred Stones at all, and where she holds a staff instead of a rapier?

Yeah, the Micaiah re-design was totally tasteless/shameless. Your description of Eirika re-design is accurate too. Ike's re-design makes him look like a cyborg and he has a pole for a hand.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ike's redesign is too skinny.

I wouldn't mind them using the outfit he has on the Brawl's muscular version of Ike, however.

But Danica Patrick is my favorite F-Zero character!

qq more

There's no way to make Mega Man interesting enough to separate him from Samus or Kirby. Ryu 4 life. Fuck Mega Man.

Wow. Are you serious?

Okay guys, let's get rid of Marth and Ike because they have swords! We can't have that when we already have Link as a sword user!

Well, I guess they could chose between Slime and Lighting (lol)

But let's not forget Sora or Riku too!

Lightning hasn't even appeared on a Nintendo system, so good luck with that. (Except for maybe that rhythm 3DS game, but I doubt that would even justify her)

And fuck Sora/Riku!

Yeah, the Micaiah re-design was totally tasteless/shameless. Your description of Eirika re-design is accurate too. Ike's re-design makes him look like a cyborg and he has a pole for a hand.
Didn't they hired a bunch of fan artist or something for the DLC characters? It probably explains why the shameless shit.

Watch Da Birdie

Pretty sure getting Sora in would involve negotiating with Disney? Even if they leave any direct references to Disney out, I'm pretty sure they still own the character partially...but I'm not positive.

They're probably still pissed at Nintendo for not letting them use Mario for Wreck-It-Ralph.

ffdgh

I thought disney couldn't figure out what to do with mario since he was so iconic or something.

I'd gladly take sora if only for him being able to glide without wings
KuGsj.gif

qq more

And why the hell would they add Riku? If they put in Sora (which is extremely unlikely), they won't put in Riku because that is just stupid. KH doesn't deserve multiple slots at all, nor do actually any other 3rd party franchise.

Watch Da Birdie

Really, Sora would be cool.

Keyblade for Normals, and Gliding ability.

Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, and Cure as Specials, with some kind of level-up system in play where they become the "ra" and "aga" variants.

Snakey

Didn't they hired a bunch of fan artist or something for the DLC characters? It probably explains why the shameless shit.

No, a lot of the people who did the re-designs were people who have done artwork for the series before.

Marth's re-design: Done by the artist for FE9/FE10
Roy's re-design: Done by the artist for The Last Story
Leaf's re-design: Done by the artist for FE8.
Ephraim's re-design: Done by the artist for the FE6 manga.
Celice's re-design: Done by the artist for FE11 (Shadow Dragon)
Ike's re-design: Done by the artist for FE6.

Those are all the ones I know from the top of my head, but the point is that most of them were done by artists who already did character designs for the Fire Emblem series before.

qq more

No, a lot of the people who did the re-designs were people who have done artwork for the series before.

Marth's re-design: Done by the artist for FE9/FE10
Roy's re-design: Done by the artist for The Last Story
Leaf's re-design: Done by the artist for FE8.
Ephraim's re-design: Done by the artist for the FE6 manga.
Celice's re-design: Done by the artist for FE11 (Shadow Dragon)
Ike's re-design: Done by the artist for FE6.

Those are all the ones I know from the top of my head, but the point is that most of them were done by artists who already did character designs for the Fire Emblem series before.

Oh

nevermind no idea where I got that from then lol

qq more why you hating on Sora man ;__:

I mean, Kingdom Hearts has had 4 games on Nintendo systems... and uh for Lighting... she was Theatrhythm Final Fantasy... uh... yeah

Here is a refreshingly realistic roster that I saw posted on GameFAQs of all places:

Roster-1.png

Basically:
- All Brawl characters return
- Mewtwo and Roy brought back
- Newcomers are Ridley, Palutena, K. Rool, Little Mac, Takamaru, Shulk, Mega Man, and Pac-Man

I think this is most likely what is going to happen, though Pac-Man is the most iffy one of the bunch.

Of course there is going to be people saying that 49 playable characters and eight true newcomers is too low, but keep in mind Sakurai is likely going overhaul and re-design a lot of the veterans and make characters customizable (what that entails is unknown at this point).

The nine new characters (I am excluding Pac-Man here) are also the characters that are wanted the most, so its not bad. The only problem with such a roster would be a lack of surprises.
Throw Samurai Goroh/Black Shadow and a 'surprise' character on there (either Layton or Travis Touchdown I guess?) and I think that'd be a perfect roster. Still a tad low on female reps however
which could be rectified by having Jill and Lip

Unicorn

Yeah, I think the only character I would be super excited to see include would be Travis Touchdown. Secretly, i've wanted Mach Rider since Melee had that trophy.

I don't know, I can't see a single one of those characters you mentioned getting in.

I wasn't talking about whether they were likely or not ;V

Though Smash has always had at least one completely left-field character. Closest thing I can see SSB4 doing on the level of Ness (well he was a weird choice for westerns anyway), Mr. Game & Watch and Solid Snake is somehow representing Nintendo's old playing cards from a hundred years ago
or Banjo

leroidys

I wouldnt mind Krom replacing Ike. It seems like the best move and it gives more room for another FE character...like Lyn who also got a redesign :D

I used to be really opposed to this, but after how good Awakening turned out, I think this would be fine.

Basically all I really want is for them to keep and slightly buff Lucas and give toon Link his own moveset.

Probably only 1 of those things will happen at most.

qq more

qq more why you hating on Sora man ;__:

I mean, Kingdom Hearts has had 4 games on Nintendo systems... and uh for Lighting... she was Theatrhythm Final Fantasy... uh... yeah

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm probably a bit too biased for this argument since I don't like Sora at all. But in all fairness, he's owned by Disney, not Square Enix. He's not even a mascot and he hasn't had a main game since the PS2. I don't know but I just can't see him getting a slot in any Smash Bros games.

Lightning, like I said, that game probably doesn't even justify her a spot... and why would she get a slot in the first place? None of her actual games are ever on Nintendo systems. There's far more deserving FF characters to choose from... like Pre-FF7 era characters. Also I'm pretty sure everyone is sick of her at this point (and it does not help that FF13 is constantly shit on by FF fans). Lightning out of all FF characters in Smash Bros would feel just wrong.

DrWong

Sorry if already posted.

Sakurai wrote some stuff in his latest Famitsu column related to how gamers are annoying to overlook his tweets...

It's in German. Google translated part >
I'll have to put off for the time being, unfortunately. Currently, I use Twitter almost impossible, because I completely concentrate on the development of New Super Smash Bros.. The time has come send off a few tweets and to work more on the actual game. Best for me, the players just forget for the next time. "

I do not like it when any of my tweets leads to endless speculation. If I write about it as I'm playing some sort of game, a lot of people go immediately assume that this same character will be found in the new Smash Bros.. Then people start to get angry with it, because suddenly it is assumed that those are speculations. In this case, nobody wins. "

qq more

I can't say I'm shocked. People get wayyyy too much into speculation when it comes to anything he writes.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi05.html (scroll down to the Wii Menu)

"OH MY GOD A SNAPSHOT OF THE WII MENU WITH THE MII CHANNEL?! MIIS CONFIRMED!!!"

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various23.html

"FALCO DECONFIRMED?!"

yes those actually happened. oh smash worlds

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So Sakurai isn't talking about his day job anytime soon. But once he does, he promises a big event. "Instead of talking about what Smash Bros. will be like," he concluded, "I'm just going to say 'I'm making you wait for it!' and keep going along. I want to put my all into a full-on launch that really makes that wait worth it."

Well, that's great news. I hope that he would announce SSB4 Dojo to hyping up SSB4, along with new trailer. My body isn't ready for that late night updates.

Spinluck

I hope we get tripping and shit physics this time around, I really missed that in Brawl.

Someone cuddle me and tell me that Sonic will make it back, just so I can sleep at night.

Someone cuddle me and tell me that Sonic will make it back, just so I can sleep at night.
Sega, considering their financial situation these days, would be stupid to pass up free money by denying Nintendo use of their character for another surefire hit. It really boils down to Nintendo wanting to reuse the third-party characters, and I'm inclined to believe they'll do so.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sega, considering their financial situation these days, would be stupid to pass up free money by denying Nintendo use of their character for another surefire hit. It really boils down to Nintendo wanting to reuse the third-party characters, and I'm inclined to believe they'll do so.

Nah I can see Sega making a terrible Sonic and Sega All Smash and then proceed to sue Nintendo :p

Can someone explain what to me what the Smash Cycle is?

Ridley should be in the game (despite being too big); anyone who wants Geno is a mook --> Wolf and Falco are clones and should be tweaked/removed --> OMG MEWTWO SHOULD BE BACK GUYZ LET'S KICK OUT THAT POSER/FLAVOUR OF THE MONTH LUCARIO 'CUZ HE STOLE MEWTWO'S SPOT --> Argument over Pokémon Generations/which ones should be in Smash --> Third party character discussion --> Dream rosters/characters --> repeat ad inifinitum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom