• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey

I find it very strange though that the only appearance K. Rool and Dixie Kong had since Brawl was in one Mario sports spinoff. By comparison, between Melee and Brawl there was a slew of games that they appeared in. However, nearly all the games that K. Rool appeared in were by Paon (King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Bongo Blast) and all the games Dixie Kong appeared in were by Paon, Donkey Konga games, or Mario Sports titles (Baseball GCN, Hoops 3-on-3) as well as Diddy Kong Racing DS.

That they just disappeared off the face of the earth after Super Sluggers is very strange. The only other Rare characters that were used for Returns besides Diddy were Cranky, Rambi, and Squawks. Moreover, Dixie Kong was one of the few characters that was playable in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 but did not return for Mario Sports Mix.

The only chance I see for K. Rool and Dixie Kong to make another game appearance before Smash 4's release would be if Retro manages to get out another DK platformer before then or if Paon is making another (mediocre) DK title for the 3DS. We have another two years until Smash 4 releases (assuming Smash 4 is released Q4 2014), so its definitely feasible for K. Rool and Dixie Kong to appear in another game before Smash 4 releases. Though for the time of Brawl's release to the time of when Sakurai is done figuring out the roster, K. Rool and Dixie Kong have been absent.

I have also been thinking about Mario newcomers. None of the candidates seem like they could be made into particularly interesting fighters (Toad, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Dr. Mario), and while they are all very recognizable and more well-known than practically all the possible newcomers for Smash 4, they would not be able to stand out much on the roster.

Then you have the fact that Star Fox and F-Zero went into hiatus years before Brawl's release, which would make any newcomers for those series problematic.

I am starting to think Waddle Dee (Bandanna) is looking more and more like an attractive choice for Sakurai's team. He is one of the few characters from a veteran Nintendo franchise that has:
1. Had a prominent role in a game released between Brawl and the beginning of Smash 4's development.
2. Not yet playable in Smash Bros.
3. Already has an aspect to him that would make him easily discernible from the rest of the roster (spear-user).

The spear-moveset from Return to Dream Land already has aspects to it that make it look like it came right out of Smash Bros. The biggest problem though for Waddle Dee though is:
1. Lukewarm demand for the character.
2. Sakurai not wanting to include another Kirby character out of humbleness and/or feeling the Kirby series is already complete now with the addition of Meta Knight and King Dedede.

However, despite these two, Waddle Dee looks better than most characters from veteran Nintendo franchises with the exception of characters from the Mario series, Ridley, and Palutena. That is not much, especially when you exclude Mario characters (most of whom are uninteresting). So Waddle Dee is basically up there with Ridley and Palutena in terms of having a major role in a game released since Brawl.

Think about that. Since Brawl, the only unplayable major veteran series characters that have had important roles in their series since Brawl's release (outside of those from the Mario universe and are not flavors of the month like FE/Pokemon) have been Ridley, Palutena, and Waddle Dee. And we wonder why Sakurai is deciding NOW (and not for Smash 5) that Smash Bros. needs a massive overhaul.

From B-tier series, the only two that are looking pretty are Little Mac and Shulk. Sin & Punishment 2 and Golden Sun 3 were big time flops.

Really, I think the pool for newcomers for Smash 4 looks a lot worse than many people think.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Paper Mario (and possibly Yarn Kirby for Kirby Series) as the next Mario Rep seems the best idea for me. He's got four-series under his belt, and a game released just recently to boot. Plus he's got enough potential to differentiate from the normal Mario.

What about Barbara? She's pretty big in Japan, right, and she's got a new game coming out soon for the 3DS. She'd provide a much needed female character whose body-type actually differs from the norm.

And I'd like Medusa over Palutena myself. A female villain. I could see Sakurai putting both in though as similar, Light/Dark Sorceress characters. Or summoners.

But anyway, today I had an idea for Dark Pit. Any mention of him? He's really cool, and I think he'd make a cool character despite being basically a recolor. But here's my idea...he plays like Vaan from Dissidia 012.

Each of his Normals/Smashes/Throws (bar his recovery and pummel) have him use one of the Nine Kid Icarus Weapon Types (the basic ones, bar the stronger ones he used in Uprising like the Dark Pit Staff and Silver Bow), giving him different ranges and power. There's 2 moves for each weapon, as there are 19 Normals/Smashes/Throws. The Ogre Club is slow but powerful, and the First Blade is balanced, for example.

Once Dark Pit uses one of those, he carries the weapon with him until he uses a different move...however, his Neutral Special and Side Special utilize the weapon he has equipped. Neutral Special is a long-range shot (like Pit's Arrow) while Side Special is a Melee Attack (like Pit's Angel Ring), with the attributes of the attack depending on the weapon. The EZ Cannon fires a bomb for its Long-Range, while up-close has it charge and Dark Pit performs a dash slash.

His other Specials are wilder versions of Pit's...his Up-B is a faster, unrulier Wings of Icarus, and his Down-B is a quick-counter where he slides behind the opponent quickly, like the dodge in Uprising.

GamerSoul

I find it very strange though that the only appearance K. Rool and Dixie Kong had since Brawl was in one Mario sports spinoff. By comparison, between Melee and Brawl there was a slew of games that they appeared in. However, nearly all the games that K. Rool appeared in were by Paon (King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Bongo Blast) and all the games Dixie Kong appeared in were by Paon, Donkey Konga games, or Mario Sports titles (Baseball GCN, Hoops 3-on-3) as well as Diddy Kong Racing DS.

That they just disappeared off the face of the earth after Super Sluggers is very strange. The only other Rare characters that were used for Returns besides Diddy were Cranky, Rambi, and Squawks. Moreover, Dixie Kong was one of the few characters that was playable in Mario Hoops 3-on-3 but did not return for Mario Sports Mix.

The only chance I see for K. Rool and Dixie Kong to make another game appearance before Smash 4's release would be if Retro manages to get out another DK platformer before then or if Paon is making another (mediocre) DK title for the 3DS. We have another two years until Smash 4 releases (assuming Smash 4 is released Q4 2014), so its definitely feasible for K. Rool and Dixie Kong to appear in another game before Smash 4 releases. Though for the time of Brawl's release to the time of when Sakurai is done figuring out the roster, K. Rool and Dixie Kong have been absent.

I have also been thinking about Mario newcomers. None of the candidates seem like they could be made into particularly interesting fighters (Toad, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Dr. Mario), and while they are all very recognizable and more well-known than practically all the possible newcomers for Smash 4, they would not be able to stand out much on the roster.

Then you have the fact that Star Fox and F-Zero went into hiatus years before Brawl's release, which would make any newcomers for those series problematic.

I am starting to think Waddle Dee (Bandanna) is looking more and more like an attractive choice for Sakurai's team. He is one of the few characters from a veteran Nintendo franchise that has:
1. Had a prominent role in a game released between Brawl and the beginning of Smash 4's development.
2. Not yet playable in Smash Bros.
3. Already has an aspect to him that would make him easily discernible from the rest of the roster (spear-user).

The spear-moveset from Return to Dream Land already has aspects to it that make it look like it came right out of Smash Bros. The biggest problem though for Waddle Dee though is:
1. Lukewarm demand for the character.
2. Sakurai not wanting to include another Kirby character out of humbleness and/or feeling the Kirby series is already complete now with the addition of Meta Knight and King Dedede.

However, despite these two, Waddle Dee looks better than most characters from veteran Nintendo franchises with the exception of characters from the Mario series, Ridley, and Palutena. That is not much, especially when you exclude Mario characters (most of whom are uninteresting). So Waddle Dee is basically up there with Ridley and Palutena in terms of having a major role in a game released since Brawl.

Think about that. Since Brawl, the only unplayable major veteran series characters that have had important roles in their series since Brawl's release (outside of those from the Mario universe and are not flavors of the month like FE/Pokemon) have been Ridley, Palutena, and Waddle Dee. And we wonder why Sakurai is deciding NOW (and not for Smash 5) that Smash Bros. needs a massive overhaul.

From B-tier series, the only two that are looking pretty are Little Mac and Shulk. Sin & Punishment 2 and Golden Sun 3 were big time flops.

Really, I think the pool for newcomers for Smash 4 looks a lot worse than many people think.

Does it surprise you that they haven't used some sort of poll or anything to get an idea of what fans would want to see? Because you are right, some of the most deserving characters, K.Rool for example, have not been used a whole lot after Brawl's release and if you're going by staple Nintendo veterans they do not add much to that pool of characters. But I strongly believe Sakurai should shake things up character-wise along with his gameplay changes. It would be such a waste to not experiment with unique, potential characters that are scattered throughout Nintendo's past when you have the talent of Namco on board this time.

I know we have to be realistic but even if we are, having the minds behind Tekken and the Tales series should give us a bit of hope. The Tales series is like the ONLY series I would have ever chosen to have Sakurai to pull from in terms of rpg elements since they are similar in a way. Soul Calibur, if their team members are also helping, is a premier weapon-based fighter that Smash could pull from since many of Smash's characters use weapons. Just thinking of the possibilities...Mitsurugi inspired Takamaru with a twist, Dual wielding Lyn inspired by Lloyd, I love it.

I don't want to see Waddle Dee in Smash 4 for reasons that you stated and imo it would be a waste of a slot. The Kirby series is very well rep'd with that trio we have now. I can see Dee as an AT at best. Isaac I would like in but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in.

I still stand by K. Rool being a popular candidate *because* he wasn't in the latest Donkey Kong Country. It was a big comeback game for the series and has made DK deserving of a 3rd rep, yet besides maybe Cranky (who I honestly wouldn't oppose, guy's a hoot when written properly) there's nobody in the game who'd make any sense. Hence they're left with either going with who was cut from Brawl (Dixie) or who's the most important to the overall DK-games after the Kong pair (K. Rool).

Snakey

I did a poll on GameFAQs and the only female character Smash Bros. fans seem to really want this time is Palutena. Dixie Kong is a distant second. This is funny considering those are probably the only two female Nintendo characters left that are not yet playable that are actually important to their respective series.

GamerSoul

I did a poll on GameFAQs and the only female character Smash Bros. seem to really want this time is Palutena. Dixie Kong is a distant second. This is funny considering those are probably the only two female Nintendo characters left that are not yet playable that are actually important to their respective series.

I haven't been on there for awhile. Heh, I can say that is a predictable trend. Palutena is a must. If I had to choose one DK rep I'd choose Rool with Dixie becoming an AT. I'd take syrup over any though, but I must put my personal taste aside sometimes.

If Waddle Dee was a smash newcomer it would honestly be one of the most underwhelming choices in the franchises history, sure you can make a moveset from one but who out there is dying to play as the Kirby series generic mook enemy instead of the main trio?

Snakey

If Waddle Dee was a smash newcomer it would honestly be one of the most underwhelming choices in the franchises history, sure you can make a moveset from one but who out there is dying to play as the Kirby series generic mook enemy instead of the main trio?

I already mentioned the lukewarm demand as an obstacle for Waddle Dee in that post.

Really, there has not been any Nintendo characters (outside of the Mario universe) from veteran franchises (franchises that already have playable characters in Smash Bros.) that had important roles in games released after Brawl other than Ridley and Palutena.

I think there is a very good reason why Sakurai has said Brawl's roster is close to the limit in terms of a what's feasible for Smash Bros., and said he wanted to put his focus elsewhere instead of "a much bigger roster". I am sure Smash 4 will have more characters than Brawl, but it won't be the increase that we saw from Smash 64 to Melee or Melee to Brawl.

The smaller pool of notable Nintendo characters to include I think plays an important role in that. I mean in Sakurai's home territory the most wanted newcomer characters are guys that were already playable in a previous installment (Mewtwo and Roy), I think that says a lot about the potential newcomer pool at this point.

Keep in mind too, that Sakurai has been banging a drum for years that most developers are too afraid to make bold changes to their franchises. Smash 4 is finally Sakurai's chance to put his money where his mouth is. A lot of long-time Smash Bros. characters such as Yoshi and Link have been rather bad throughout the entire series. Giving all the characters an overhaul and being able to customize their movesets will keep the game much fresher than if he were to add mostly minor characters from Nintendo's veteran franchises.

I already mentioned the lukewarm demand as an obstacle for Waddle Dee in that post.

Really, there has not been any Nintendo characters (outside of the Mario universe) from veteran franchises (franchises that already have playable characters in Smash Bros.) that had important roles in games released after Brawl other than Ridley and Palutena.

I think there is a very good reason why Sakurai has said Brawl's roster is close to the limit in terms of a what's feasible for Smash Bros., and said he wanted to put his focus elsewhere instead of "a much bigger roster". I am sure Smash 4 will have more characters than Brawl, but it won't be the increase that we saw from Smash 64 to Melee or Melee to Brawl.

The smaller pool of notable Nintendo characters to include I think plays an important role in that. I mean in Sakurai's home territory the most wanted newcomer characters are guys that were already playable in a previous installment (Mewtwo and Roy), I think that says a lot about the potential newcomer pool at this point.

Keep in mind too, that Sakurai has been banging a drum for years that most developers are too afraid to make bold changes to their franchises. Smash 4 is finally Sakurai's chance to put his money where his mouth is. A lot of long-time Smash Bros. characters such as Yoshi and Link have been rather bad throughout the entire series. Giving all the characters an overhaul and being able to customize their movesets will keep the game much fresher than if he were to add mostly minor characters from Nintendo's veteran franchises.
I did notice that but the idea that Waddle Dee has some sort of chance based upon being recently playable seems a bit skewered, Toad has been playable in two of Nintendo's biggest games in the last few years yet no one's really considering that his odds have been greatly increased.
Basically i'm saying despite playability in RtD/Adventure Wii Waddle Dee's odds haven't climbed above other wanted characters who've been sidelined for a while.

Now as for the rest of this post, I agree, the bottom point in particular intrigues me, I'd really like a freshening up for this franchise.

Snakey

Here is a refreshingly realistic roster that I saw posted on GameFAQs of all places:

Roster-1.png

Basically:
- All Brawl characters return
- Mewtwo and Roy brought back
- Newcomers are Ridley, Palutena, K. Rool, Little Mac, Takamaru, Shulk, Mega Man, and Pac-Man

I think this is most likely what is going to happen, though Pac-Man is the most iffy one of the bunch.

Of course there is going to be people saying that 49 playable characters and eight true newcomers is too low, but keep in mind Sakurai is likely going overhaul and re-design a lot of the veterans and make characters customizable (what that entails is unknown at this point).

The nine new characters (I am excluding Pac-Man here) are also the characters that are wanted the most, so its not bad. The only problem with such a roster would be a lack of surprises.

Snakey

I wouldn't say that's "realistic" at all. Shulk? No new Pokémon? Roy over Chrom?

I doubt Sakurai is going throw in three blue-haired lords, one of which is basically Ike 2.0 (Chrom). Roy is highly requested to return all over the world too.

The problem with a new Pokemon is that I can't see Pokemon getting six slots. Mewtwo is one of the most wanted characters for Smash 4, and Lucario is more relevant in promotion and merchandise than Zoroark is now.

Sakurai is in a really tough spot with Pokemon and Fire Emblem because the cut Melee guys are more wanted than the new guys, and the new guys are retreads of guys who were added in Brawl (Zoroark with Lucario, Chrom with Ike). However, it would look weird for him not to include the current faces to those series (though Zoroark is already ancient news, and Chrom's game is going to be three years old by the time Smash 4 releases).

Shulk is basically the most wanted new series newcomer after Little Mac. Xenoblade was basically the highest acclaimed JPRG this generation as well. However, historically, no series has ever been added to Smash Bros. as merely a stand alone game (the only exception to this I can think of is Ice Climber, but that was a retro title).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I can still see it getting six since it's like Mario in that it is one of the most popular.

Which is why I won't doubt that Mario will also get a new rep.

qq more

Is Fawful even a realistic expectation? Actually asking because I have no idea if he's still relevant or not these days. Would be a nice rep for an RPG Mario game, honestly.

Ryce

I doubt Sakurai is going throw in three blue-haired lords, one of which is basically Ike 2.0 (Chrom). Roy is highly requested to return all over the world too.

The problem with a new Pokemon is that I can't see Pokemon getting six slots. Mewtwo is one of the most wanted characters for Smash 4, and Lucario is more relevant in promotion and merchandise than Zoroark is now.

Sakurai is in a really tough spot with Pokemon and Fire Emblem because the cut Melee guys are more wanted than the new guys, and the new guys are retreads of guys who were added in Brawl (Zoroark with Lucario, Chrom with Ike). However, it would look weird for him not to include the current faces to those series (though Zoroark is already ancient news, and Chrom's game is going to be three years old by the time Smash 4 releases).

Shulk is basically the most wanted new series newcomer after Little Mac. Xenoblade was basically the highest acclaimed JPRG this generation as well. However, historically, no series has ever been added to Smash Bros. as merely a stand alone game (the only exception to this I can think of is Ice Climber, but that was a retro title).
Looking through your post history, you very clearly want Mewtwo and Roy to return -- your agenda is pretty transparent. Which is fine; everyone has his or her favorites. No amount of spinning will make the prospect of including Mewtwo and Lucario over any new Pokémon any less absurd, though. It just simply isn't going to play out that way.

You're either overstating the popularity of those characters or overstating the chances popular characters have of making the Smash Bros. roster. Lurking around a few Japanese fan message boards isn't going to give you any insight into Sakurai's plans or line of thinking.

Watch Da Birdie

Do they bring up Mallo from Pushmo/Pullmo?

I'd love to see him in representing Nintendo's push towards downloadable-only games with the 3DS, and he's got a "Series" now and is by-far the most popular non-retail Nintendo character.

You know, like how PSABR had Fat Princess.

Snakey

Looking through your post history, you very clearly want Mewtwo and Roy to return -- your agenda is pretty transparent. Which is fine; everyone has his or her favorites. No amount of spinning will make the prospect of including Mewtwo and Lucario over any new Pokémon any less absurd, though. It just simply isn't going to play out that way.

You're either overstating the popularity of those characters or overstating the chances popular characters have of making the Smash Bros. roster. Lurking around a few Japanese fan message boards isn't going to give you any insight into Sakurai's plans or line of thinking.

I don't have an agenda. Wanting Mewtwo and Roy to return is common. Heck, you would be hard-pressed to find a character who is more wanted than Mewtwo (probably only Ridley and K. Rool get more requests than Mewtwo).

Also, its not absurd to think that they would just have six slots for Pokemon. Its also not absurd for them not to add any new-gen Pokemon since Melee almost did not add Pichu (the clones were last minute additions) and Brawl skipped over Ruby/Sapphire for a playable character. In comparison to the amount of requests that Lucario got with pre-Brawl with the amount of requests Zoroark is getting now, Sakurai would not upset anyone with only adding Mewtwo. However, this is only if Sakurai is the one who decides the playable Pokemon roster and its not Game Freak telling him what characters he can or cannot include.

I am sorry if you are offended that my analyses go against your personal biases.

Watch Da Birdie

There's also a lot of Mewtwo merchandising coming out soon (most people believe he'll cameo in the anime to fight Team Plasma's Genesect), so I think him coming back is a good bet. But if Mewtwo comes back, I SO want Genesect in too since that'd be a cool match to see.

Zoroark's old news, although, do they ever bring up N? A lot of people wanted him in...it sounds a bit ridiculous for a fighter, but he's by far the biggest character Pokemon's had in years.

Brawl skipped over Ruby/Sapphire for a playable character
I remember reading Blaziken (big RS premiere Pokemon in the anime which, for Pokemon, DOES seem to matter in Smash since all the playable Pokemon had big anime roles that helped their popularity) was actually considered but was replaced with Lucario because he was newer by the time Brawl actually came out. I could see Blaziken easily being worked on and changed to Lucario early-development, since I'd imagine Blaziken would be similar to Lucario.

And the Plusle and Minun data seemed like they may have been an option, although likely phased out.

Kokonoe

Banned
I still want that Mewtwo figure. Mewtwo did pretty good on that Pokemon.com legendary poll as well, I believe it got third place. Mew ended up being the winner, though.

qq more

I still want that Mewtwo figure. Mewtwo did pretty good on that Pokemon.com legendary poll as well, I believe it got third place. Mew ended up being the winner, though.

Mewtwo is such a badass mofo. So glad he's still relevant to Pokemon fans. I hope he gets in Smash Bros 4.

Snakey

There's also a lot of Mewtwo merchandising coming out soon (most people believe he'll cameo in the anime to fight Team Plasma's Genesect), so I think him coming back is a good bet. But if Mewtwo comes back, I SO want Genesect in too since that'd be a cool match to see.

Zoroark's old news, although, do they ever bring up N? A lot of people wanted him in...it sounds a bit ridiculous for a fighter, but he's by far the biggest character Pokemon's had in years.

I have seen N brought up a few times.

Also, Chrom fights for his friends:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/psyvqda827ell5m/009.JPG

ike_070801a-l.jpg

Boss Doggie

I remember reading Blaziken (big RS premiere Pokemon in the anime which, for Pokemon, DOES seem to matter in Smash since all the playable Pokemon had big anime roles that helped their popularity) was actually considered but was replaced with Lucario because he was newer by the time Brawl actually came out. I could see Blaziken easily being worked on and changed to Lucario early-development, since I'd imagine Blaziken would be similar to Lucario.

And the Plusle and Minun data seemed like they may have been an option, although likely phased out.

RS rep would have been Plusle and Minun since apparently their data was found but got cut it seems.

Also some argued Blaziken would be a Falcon clone :p

Ryce

I don't have an agenda. Wanting Mewtwo and Roy to return is common. Heck, you would be hard-pressed to find a character who is more wanted than Mewtwo (probably only Ridley and K. Rool get more requests than Mewtwo).

Also, its not absurd to think that they would just have six slots for Pokemon. Its also not absurd for them not to add any new-gen Pokemon since Melee almost did not add Pichu (the clones were last minute additions) and Brawl skipped over Ruby/Sapphire for a playable character. In comparison to the amount of requests that Lucario got with pre-Brawl with the amount of requests Zoroark is getting now, Sakurai would not upset anyone with only adding Mewtwo. However, this is only if Sakurai is the one who decides the playable Pokemon roster and its not Game Freak telling him what characters he can or cannot include.

I have been with the Smash Bros. fanbase for over a decade, and I am pretty adept at analyzing these things.

I am sorry if you are offended that my analyses go against your personal biases.
...You want me to believe that your favorites, Roy and Mewtwo, are more likely than a new Fire Emblem character and a new Pokémon? And I'm the one with "personal biases"?

Also, that little Pichu/Melee anecdote is dishonest. Melee's roster was locked down before Gold and Silver were even released, and Mewtwo was originally going to be in the first game, so it's no surprise that he was included in Melee. Only a year and a half separated the SSB64 "planning period" (for lack of a better term) from the Melee one. On the other hand, seven years separates the Brawl planning period from SSB4's. A lot has happened in the last seven years with Pokémon.

I might be new to NeoGAF, but I'm not new to the Internet, and I'm certainly not new to Smash Bros. Again, it isn't my place to dissuade you from what you want to believe, but the absurdity of "Roy is more likely than Chrom" and "Mewtwo is more likely than a fifth generation Pokémon" will never escape me. Hell, I'll "gamble" to the extent that NeoGAF will allow (avatar betting?).

Snakey

I might be new to NeoGAF, but I'm not new to the Internet, and I'm certainly not new to Smash Bros. Again, it isn't my place to dissuade you from what you want to believe, but the absurdity of "Roy is more likely than Chrom" and "Mewtwo is more likely than a fifth generation Pokémon" will never escape me.

I have been doing Smash Bros. speculation for over a decade. I know everything about this series development and then some, and I am willing to bet you cold hard money they Mewtwo is more likely going to be in the roster than a fifth-generation Pokemon.

I am also willing to bet we won't be getting Marth, Ike, and Chrom (its either going to be Marth and Chrom or Marth, Ike, and Roy).

That you call opinions different from your own absurd truly show how high your ignorance truly is.

I am not serious on the betting since that is probably against the rules. However, if it isn't I would because that is how confident I am about Mewtwo's eventual return.

Ryce

I am not serious on the betting since that is probably against the rules. However, if it isn't I would because that is how confident I am about Mewtwo's eventual return.
Well, I never said it's unlikely that Mewtwo could return, but I do think it's unlikely that he'll be included over a fifth (or possibly sixth) generation Pokémon.

Boss Doggie

lol I remember Snakey being disappointed because his sources failed him in Brawl regarding Mewtwo in GameFAQs.

Snakey

Well, I never said it's unlikely that Mewtwo could return, but I do think it's unlikely that he'll be included over a fifth (or possibly sixth) generation Pokémon.

Mewtwo is perhaps the most wanted character in Japan, in the West, Mewtwo is basically on par with Ridley and K. Rool (the most requested characters).

If it was either a newcomer Pokemon or Mewtwo, its going to be Mewtwo unless Game Freak is tying Sakurai's hands.

Lucario is the one in more danger of being cut. Same with Ike and Chrom (Chrom also has the same abilities as Ike does which would make a swapping easier for him than a Zoroark to Lucario transition, though Zoroark is such old news by now, they would more likely go with someone else).

Snakey

lol I remember Snakey being disappointed because his sources failed him in Brawl regarding Mewtwo in GameFAQs.

You remember wrong.

I never had any sources tell me Mewtwo was in Brawl.

I was the first person to post Brawl's roster though (I assembled the roster from various leakers because they have overlapping similarities to what they were saying).

Boss Doggie

You remember wrong.

I never had any sources tell me Mewtwo was in Brawl.

I was the first person to post Brawl's roster though (I assembled the roster from various leakers because they have overlapping similarities to what they were saying).

It's probably not Mewtwo. But I recall you being disappointed that one of your sources playing tricks, I think something about unlockable characters beyond Wolf.

Snakey

It's probably not Mewtwo. But I recall you being disappointed that one of your sources playing tricks, I think something about unlockable characters beyond Wolf.

The only "source" I had was a leaker who said ROB was a playable character in Brawl. This person said he had connections to beta testers at NOA. No one believed this guy, and got flamed because he had no proof. I sent PMs to him privately for any more information about the roster (of which the only additional things I got were that Marth and Ness were on the roster too). I noticed what he way saying was lining up with other leakers who had been saying correct things up until that point, and assembled a roster based on what those three leakers were saying.

Watch Da Birdie

Cool, I found a program on SmashBoards to actually design a Roster, so here's mine...visualized!

rxtJO.png

The first Pit is "Dark Pit" and Mallow is Pushmo Mallo, not the Mario one. Neither character had an icon in the program and I couldn't find any online. :/

An even 50 Characters, not counting Transformation Characters (none of the new ones transform).

Lucario is re-replaced with Mewtwo, and Snake tags out for the now Konami-owned Bomberman. Since they're phasing out Snake from Metal Gear, I think that his inclusion in Brawl may be a one-time thing.

I like the layout I went with. The characters in the bottom row are arranged by Series release (I think that Takamaru came before Little Mac)?

Snakey

Hey, Lakitu was a sweet choice!
Now Metal Mario, there's the oddest one of all.

Metal Mario had shown up as a playable character in Mario Golf (N64) and Dr. Mario 64. He was also sub-boss in the original Smash Bros. So there was already a history of him as a playable character. However, it was odd that he was even considered for a newcomer for Mario Kart 7.

Also, I wonder when they will ever finally implement Magikoopa (or Kamek) as a racer in Mario Kart, especially considering he was one in the Mario Kart 64 beta.

qq more

Cool, I found a program on SmashBoards to actually design a Roster, so here's mine...visualized!

rxtJO.png

The first Pit is "Dark Pit" and Mallow is Pushmo Mallo, not the Mario one. Neither character had an icon in the program and I couldn't find any online. :/

An even 50 Characters, not counting Transformation Characters (none of the new ones transform).

Lucario is re-replaced with Mewtwo, and Snake tags out for the now Konami-owned Bomberman. Since they're phasing out Snake from Metal Gear, I think that his inclusion in Brawl may be a one-time thing.

I like the layout I went with. The characters in the bottom row are arranged by Series release (I think that Takamaru came before Little Mac)?

2 Pits is kind of overkill. Dark Pit is better off as an alt color since he is literally a Pit clone.

Do you have a link to the program?

EDIT: Snake isn't being phased out from Metal Gear. Isn't Snake in Brawl based on both Solid and Naked Snake (the latter is still being used)? Nice roster otherwise.

Metal Mario had shown up as a playable character in Mario Golf (N64) and Dr. Mario 64. He was also sub-boss in the original Smash Bros. So there was already a history of him as a playable character. However, it was odd that he was even considered for a newcomer for Mario Kart 7.

Also, I wonder when they will ever finally implement Magikoopa (or Kamek) as a racer in Mario Kart, especially considering he was one in the Mario Kart 64 beta.

Somehow I forgot that I slaved away for 108 birdie badges to unlock him in Mario Golf 64, reminds me that Toadstool Tour is the only game to my knowledge that has Shadow Mario.
If they ever made another Mario Golf (which they totally should) I guess Cosmic Mario would be next in line.
I wonder if there's a way to implement that hazard in SSB? being followed by a damage dealing mimic and keeping you moving around could be a fun hazard.

Magikoopa always draws the short straw.

Sadsic

i mentioned this a few pages back, but there really arent that many big players left to be in smash 4. if there was a new trailer there's only a few that would make me cheer like pit or metaknight:

paper mario
shulk
isaac
little mac
king k. rool
ghirahim
animal crossing hero / tom nook

of that i expect only really an animal crossing character, that seems inevitable now

ffdgh

Nintendo could do the unthinkable....and cause endless meltdowns by somehow getting lightning cloud in smash four with a serah zack alt.

Watch Da Birdie

2 Pits is kind of overkill. Dark Pit is better off as an alt color since he is literally a Pit clone.

Do you have a link to the program?

EDIT: Snake isn't being phased out from Metal Gear. Isn't Snake in Brawl based on both Solid and Naked Snake (the latter is still being used)? Nice roster otherwise.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=320445

Comes with tons of preloaded Icons...yet no Dark Pit or Mallo surprised me. Yet they have literally everyone else (including joke characters).

My idea was that Dark Pit would actually look like Pit and everything, but play quite differently...he'd use the weapons from Uprising like Vaan does in Dissidia 012, switching them out for different moves. And be faster and less floatier.

And yes, Dark Pit is a Pit clone (in story too!), but he's pretty well-liked and would be a justifiable "clone", in my opinion. Come on, Sakurai isn't going to make a roster without a clone, so why not a cool clone character rather than sticking a character's moveset onto a completely unrelated character.

And I dunno a bunch about Metal Gear, but didn't Kojima say Snake's story is over and wanted to move away from him? I dunno, I just have a feeling that Snake won't return. If he does though, switch him back with Bomberman and viola.

qq more

And I dunno a bunch about Metal Gear, but didn't Kojima say Snake's story is over and wanted to move away from him?

He was referring to Solid Snake. The 2 new MGS games (not Rising) involves Naked Snake.

I won't argue about his inclusion in the next Smash Bros. I won't be surprised if he makes it in or not. (Personally I would love to see Snake return)

i mentioned this a few pages back, but there really arent that many big players left to be in smash 4. if there was a new trailer there's only a few that would make me cheer like pit or metaknight:

paper mario
shulk
isaac
little mac
king k. rool
ghirahim
animal crossing hero / tom nook

of that i expect only really an animal crossing character, that seems inevitable now
Vaguely remember the Iwata Asks for Brawl saying they wanted an AC rep, but the series lead told Sakurai that AC character's shouldn't fight so instead it just got stages and items.

I'm not entirely sure The Phantom Pain is Naked Snake; I don't recall him having lost a hand. (I could be entirely wrong about this, though.)

qq more

I'm not entirely sure The Phantom Pain is Naked Snake; I don't recall him having lost a hand. (I could be entirely wrong about this, though.)

Wait he has no hand? I haven't actually watched the trailer but the guy really does look like Snake judging by the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom