• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donkey Kong: K. Rool is amongst the most requested newcomers outside the cut Melee duo. Dixie Kong is also highly requested.

Kid Icarus: Palutena is the only character of this series that gets a large amount of requests. However, Palutena is definitely amongst the most wanted characters outside the cut Melee duo.

Damn right, funny that Ridley and Mac are considered as overseas popularity, guess that concept swings both ways.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The only new characters I want to see in Smash 4 are:
Ridley
Mega Man

That's it.

I also want Mewtwo and Roy brought back. I would especially like if they used Roy's re-design for Smash 4:

I also have some observations on what the Japanese fanbase seems to ask for in regards to Smash 4, but I am not sure if anyone here is interested.

So I should have known that you are ChronoBound. I really enjoyed your posts at other forum.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Considering how Mewtwo might return in the anime who knows.

With that said we need new "franchise" blood.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Genesect has a lot of potential to grow, imo.

YEAH BOI!

Dude's got a movie coming up and seems to be in the show as well, he'll be getting a lot of hype next year when Smash 4 probably begins to pick up steam.

GamerSoul

Very insightful info as always, Snakey.

It looks like K.Rool is set to have a revival through Smash. Both fanbases have spoken in a sense and it would be horrible to see him not in. I personally wouldn't care but I want to see just how much Sakurai is listening to his fans.

ffdgh

Now that raises the question. Would people want his dk1 look or his dk2 look....or the...kaos alternative.

Dk2 for me. Standard b can be the cannonball gun :D.

GamerSoul

Now that raises the question. Would people want his dk1 look or his dk2 look....or the...kaos alternative.

Dk2 for me. Standard b can be he cannonball gun :D.

I guess the Pirate one, which ever one that is...I want to play as some type of pirate dammit ;_;

GamerSoul

toon link is a pirate....sorta lol. Heck bowser has flying boats for some reason too.

Toon Link sure acts like one so you have a point, but he's not as greedy. Bowser has everything at this point, except a Princess. :0

K.Rool could definite work in a pirate scenario so I'd like to see that.

Boss Doggie

Well Wario already got alt costume.

I just want shirtless Wolf :( Though I'd settle for vest-less Wolf, wouldn't mind him in tanktop.

ffdgh

...stick with texture hacks and the internet
KuGsj.gif

Boss Doggie

...stick with texture hacks and the internet
KuGsj.gif

There aren't any!

hey, anything is possible. You have already showed us what Sakurai did to Wolf in brawl.

Oh if only

Now that we're on the topic of alts... What alts for other characters could there be?

Mario - Dr. Mario
Luigi - Mister L
Bowser - huh... kinda clueless here...
Peach - sports outfit/minishorts
DK - Football uniform?
Diddy - DK style
Yoshi - Boshi outfit?
Wario - already there
Link - purple hair Link
Zelda - moe Zelda/Shiek
Toon Link - huh... I dunno...
Ganondorf - OoT-dorf
Samus - actual Fusion suit
Zero Suit Samus - Fusion version of her ZSS
ROB - clueless here too...
Pit - "classic" version
Ice Climbers - clueless here too...
Fox - Adventures outfit
Falco - "Farewell Beloved Falco" outfit
Wolf - vestless version (but I sure want shirtless)
Falcon - anime version?
Marth - gains "Marth" mask
Ike - hmm... pre-rebellion?
Lucas - mini-Duster clothes
Ness - Poo's clothes
Kirby - "classic" version
Metaknight - Galactaknight armor
Dedede - "classic" version
Olimar - clueless here...
Snake - MGS1 style Snake
Sonic - "classic" version
Mr. Game and Watch - another sprite

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Mario - Dr. Mario
Luigi - Mr. L
Bowser - Dry Bowser
Peach - Super Princess Peach or Daisy or Sport uniform

DK - tieless Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong with JR suit
Diddy - Diddy's old uniform

Yoshi - Boshi

Wario -WarioLand Uniform

Link - Throwback Link
Zelda - Skyward Sword Zelda
Toon Link - Train Uniform
Ganondorf - (Depend on what style they were using. Twilight Princess or OOT)

Samus - Fusion Suit
Zero Suit Samus - Fusion Version

Pit - Retro

Falcon - Mach Rider Uniform

Marth - Marth FE3DS
Ike - Rebellion uniform

Kirby - Epic Yarn Kirby
Metaknight - Galactaknight armor
Dedede - Epic Yarn Dedede

Olimar - Louis

Pikachu - Sparky-Eared Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer - Trainer from any generation

Snake - MGS4's Old Snake

Sonic - Classic Sonic

Ironically I think the (admittedly very mild) fan controversy over no kremlings in DKCR's coupled with Returns making DK another big franchise separate from Mario has been what's made K. Rool so requested. If DKCR hadn't happened I have a feeling either Dixie or possibly even no one would be getting pushed as a 3rd DK rep.

Also dude totally needs his blunderbuss. It's both cool looking and he looks poorly articulated when he moves around on his own in DKC1.

Ironically I think the (admittedly very mild) fan controversy over no kremlings in DKCR's coupled with Returns making DK another big franchise separate from Mario has been what's made K. Rool so requested. If DKCR hadn't happened I have a feeling either Dixie or possibly even no one would be getting pushed as a 3rd DK rep.

Also dude totally needs his blunderbuss. It's both cool looking and he looks poorly articulated when he moves around on his own in DKC1.

Wait, there's no kremlings in DKC Returns? What in the fucking fuck?

Boss Doggie

DK without tie feels naked

hello dry bowser?

Mrs. game and watch is the only logical answer for him :p

Well if by Dry Bowser you mean making Bowser wear black costume then give him some skeleton pads and glowy eyes, sure. A lot of people mistake alt costumes as "changing the character model altogether" rather than making the character wear a different outfit or stuff.

There's a Mrs. Game and Watch?!

Captain Olimar's could be Louie (player 2)

Isn't Louie taller?

ffdgh

DK without tie feels naked

Well if by Dry Bowser you mean making Bowser wear black costume then give him some skeleton pads and glowy eyes, sure. A lot of people mistake alt costumes as "changing the character model altogether" rather than making the character wear a different outfit or stuff.

There's a Mrs. Game and Watch?!

Isn't Louie taller?

Fine. Wedding bowser outfit from super paper mario. Happy?

Giving a character a new 'costume' still requires you to make a new model and textures though. As long as this new model could use the same skeleton and animations as the original model, I see no reason why somebody like Dry Bowser wouldn't be a possible alternate costume compared to say, Dr. Mario or the original Young Link.

Boss Doggie

Giving a character a new 'costume' still requires you to make a new model and textures though. As long as this new model could use the same skeleton and animations as the original model, I see no reason why somebody like Dry Bowser wouldn't be a possible alternate costume compared to say, Dr. Mario or the original Young Link.

I always thought costumes are, in essence, "outfits" tacked on to the base model.

With that said the only thing I'm against really is using different characters as "alt costumes". It's terrible and people should be steamrolled for bringing that up. I don't mind Dry Bowser being an alt since in essence he's still Bowser.

Costumes don't need that much work, Astrosanity. You don't have to make a new model, only new model parts at best.

For recolors and costumes that don't change the clothes on the model, it's just textures put on the skeletal mesh. If there's slight model changes (like in Wario's case with his 2 suits), it usually is hardly any work either. You just need to model, say, the oldschool hat, put it there, change the textures and remove the vest and helmet from the skeletal mesh and you have classic Wario.

Out of all things to do, alt costumes are not something that I would say are specifically difficult.

fisheyes

Surely Dry Bowser would have the same skeleton (ha!) model as Bowser, and therefore be a fine alternate 'costume', as it wouldn't affect the model too much... that being said, Bowser in a tux is too fun to pass up.

Mario - Doc is the obvious choice, but I think a Tanooki / Squirrel / Frog / Penguin / etc suit would be fun. As would Sunshine Mario in Hawaiian shirt and sunnies
Luigi - Mr. L is an option, but that would make 3 Super Paper Mario alts. What about playing up the weirdness of Luigi in Smash by having him in Peach's dress, like he did in Mario & Luigi?
Bowser - I am now on board with Wedding Tux Bowser
Peach - So I guess Wedding Dress Peach makes sense as a second

Yoshi - I guess Boshi, or something resembling the Baby Yoshi from Paper Mario 2. None are particularly exciting though. Could a 'crayon-styled' Yoshi work?

Wario - Already done.

DK - Funky Kong. Or, if his body is just too different, Kiddy Kong. I would say 'classic' DK but I hope that he himself is a playable character
Diddy - Not sure... could you butcher Dixie enough to fit as an 'alternate costume' for Diddy? If not, maybe cool backwards hat and shades Diddy from DKC2.

Link, Zelda/Sheik, Ganondorf - presuming they are all Skyward Sword styled, then make them more 'realistic' Twilight Princess inspired alts. Toon Ganondorf would also be super cool.
Toon Link - I always liked Lobster Shirt Link, though Train conductor Link would work too.

Pokemon - these are hard, but I guess because all of their alt colours are actually different clothes, maybe all the Pokemon could 'cosplay' as others? Or even as trainers? Not too sure.

Fox - James Mccloud, either the Fox version or the human one from F-Zero, whatever. Or, if you wanted to save character slots, turn Falco into a Fox Alt
Falco - Starfox Assault uniform
Wolf - Shirtless Wolf. Duh.

Samus - any of her alternate suits, though Fusion is probably the obvious one. ZSS would be designed to match (if Fusion is used, you could conceivably use the 'short shorts and bare stomach' outfit from that game, allowing you to tick both the boxes of 'nostalgic reference' and 'fanservice fanservice fanservice')

Ike - I don't know much about Fire Emblem, but theres an older Ike in one of the games, right? So, him.
Marth -
There's some dude in the new fire Emblem that turns out to be Marth or something, isn't there?

Kirby, Metaknight, King Dedede - Yarn versions. Galacta Knight could also work for Metaknight.

Ness - Pyjama Ness (/Naked Ness in Japan?). Also, potentially, Lucas could be absorbed into an alternate costume for Ness if needed.
Lucas - Not sure. Does Lucas wear an alternate clothes at any point in the game? Claus doesn't really count as an alternate costume... maybe Masked Man?

Olimar / Pikmin - There are a bunch of new playable characters in Pikmin 3. Pick whatever works best.

Pit - Retro Pit

Cap Falcon - heaps of F-Zero characters have a similar body shape and could therefore fit. I want to say Beastman, because I don't know, why not.

Ice Climbers -
Balloon Fighter for Popo, Alice from Balloon Kid for Nana. Both have close enough body shapes, and Sakurai already considers them the same universe. The requisite Ice Climber stage in the game can now just be a Balloon Fight one with maybe a bit of ice just cos, too.

Snake - Old Snake I guess?

Sonic - Shadow, I guess. Metal could also work.

ROB, Mr G&W - Don't know

Boss Doggie

Crossdressing? In Smash? Hah!

I have seen meido Wolf

As for Marth there's Marth there wearing a mask pretending to be not Marth but we all know it's Marth
but as it turns out it's not Marth but Marth's daughter

fisheyes

Crossdressing? In Smash? Hah!

I have seen meido Wolf

As for Marth there's Marth there wearing a mask pretending to be not Marth but we all know it's Marth
but as it turns out it's not Marth but Marth's daughter

Ha, thats just nice and ridiculous. But that'll work as an alt, then.

Kjellson

I agree that alt. costumes shouldn't be other characters. Just costumes or different looks.

And all characters doesn't need an alt. costume. Giving one for Mr. Game & Watch seems impossible.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
My idea was that Alternate Costumes would have the characters dressing up as other Nintendo characters who were never included. They wouldn't BECOME those characters, they'd just wear a costume like a cosplayer/Halloween costume. So, take the base model, and add new clothes to it.

Mario - Dr. Mario. But just Mario in reality. So, no game-play differences, just aesthetic (although his Fireballs would change).
Donkey Kong- A yellow jumpsuit like Doshin the Giant.
Kirby- A sewn Starfy outfit.
Yoshi- A goofy Lip outfit, with a wig, bow, boots, and tutu.
Star Fox- Dillon's cowboy get-up.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh look people actually being able to do combos without everybody air dodging out of them repeadly.

Now then....to see what joys peach have gained.

...You really gotta play it, all the characters that were lackluster before (Kirby, Pichu, Mewtwo, etc) are so much better now it's crazy. Kirby's Down B goes super fast and is more powerful and sends them flying a bit higher, and I just killed Bowser with the up and down grab/throw. Pichu no longer hurts itself and is quicker and more powerful.

Mewtwo is just a wrecking machine now. Wonder if there are texture hacks for Melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom