• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Aren't the other hunters just insignificant one-off characters? Honest question. I thought they were just alternatives to Samus for a multiplayer-focused game.

Since Ridley's the only boss with two separate boss fights in Brawl (Great Maze notwithstanding) I would think Sakurai considers him to be important. It's probably Ridley or bust.

SmithnCo

Aren't the other hunters just insignificant one-off characters? Honest question. I thought they were just alternatives to Samus for a multiplayer-focused game.

Pretty much, I doubt they would be bothered to bring back any of the other hunters.

Would be hilarious if they did and there was still no Ridley though.

Yeah, I have to agree. There's no way any of the other Metroid hunters would be playable. Sylux getting a cameo in Metroid Prime 3 doesn't mean anything because nothing ever came of it and that was years ago.

Smash is back in the game with the lead! Hopefully it wins and Smash will be at EVO.
Wasn't its last appearance at EVO an unmitigated disaster? People bitching about the rules chosen for play, IIRC, although I forget if it was about it being too competitve-leaning, too non-competitive-leaning, or both simultaneously.

I can't even remember the difference between 64's physics and Melee's, to be honest. But I do remember preferring 64's for whatever reason. I think it was better suited to time matches.

Does anyone have thoughts as to how Uprising will affect the new Smash? Considering that the bow isn't even Pit's starting weapon in that game, I could see Pit using different moves for different attacks. Or maybe Palutena having a moveset based of the other weapons.
Hopefully that game's surprisingly good (by Nintendo's standards) online rubs off on SSB4. I still can't comprehend how downright awful it is in Brawl, but at least I still had a ton of people to play it locally with.

Moveset wise I think everybody's thinking what you are; Pit will get a mostly new moveset, with a lot of his old moves being passed down to Palutena (Pit's mirror and side-B could easily be given to Palutena, with the side-B just being a generic GODDESS ENERGY BALL type deal).

gimme some of dat aurum island theme sakurai

Kokonoe

Banned
Wasn't its last appearance at EVO an unmitigated disaster? People bitching about the rules chosen for play, IIRC, although I forget if it was about it being too competitve-leaning, too non-competitive-leaning, or both simultaneously.

The rules are being picked for the standard stuff (no items) so that won't happen. Mr. Wizard already said he "got his year of items" so he doesn't mind anymore.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I loathe competitive Smash especially Melee, but somehow I loathe the FGC (tm) more, and seeing Melee win (which they loathe more than "animu fighter") would be delicious.

With that said I would also give props to SG and Melty Blood.

Wait, so one of the other options to win was My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic?

That's... hilarious, actually. I mean, I think I'd rather see Smash win, but seeing a bunch of super serious business fightan gaem blokes playing anything MLP-related is just an amusing mental image.

qq more

That's... hilarious, actually. I mean, I think I'd rather see Smash win, but seeing a bunch of super serious business fightan gaem blokes playing anything MLP-related is just an amusing mental image.

More like a terrible mental image. Ughhhhh

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

The game isn't finished yet though, and all they'll get is an exhibition match. In any case it's still a WIP doujin fighter compared to the rest.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
So did Sakurai simultaneously revive Pit and change him forever? I hope not...

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
The design doesn't concern me, the transformation of the IP does. If Kid Icarus is forever associated with third-person shooters instead of "Swiss army knife action-platforming" it can potentially trap the Kid Icarus franchise in a genre that it never was to begin with. The influence of Smash is strong and we don't know if Nintendo will use the Kid Icarus brand to continually experiment and spin-off from (Kirby, Wario, Pokémon) or keep it locked in a specific genre (Wave Race, Smash Bros., Advance Wars).

Maybe I am the only one here interested? I have babbled about this issue in this very thread and no one seemed to take notice. If the Kid Icarus franchise had a similar revival to Metroid (straight sequel and a switch-up) this probably wouldn't sour my eggplant as much.

Kid Icarus did get a Game Boy sequel, even if it was sort of awful.

Also I dunno, while the characters and presentation were always unique and likable, the original NES Kid Icarus is one of Nintendo's less timeless games IMO. While Uprising was definitely a *huge* departure I don't think strictly adhering to a foundation vaguely based off the original Metroid and made in a few hectic months was the way to go for a 25-years-late-sequel. To sum it up the original KI was far too muddled of a game mechanics-wise to consider doing a direct sequel to in today's day and age, and this is coming from someone who was glad when Nintendo stopped the years of experimentation with the DK series and just gave us our damn DKC4.

Pretty sure there's a Smash regular here who was also annoyed at what happened to Pit in-between KI and Uprising though.

Is it me? I bet it's me.

I share your frustration, I'M FINISHED. I really dislike the idea of Pit being completely changed for SSB4. Uprising's displayed contempt for the originals was bad enough, him being completely overhauled for SSB4 would be like the final stake in excising them from the continuity, a needless dagger to this old Kid Icarus fan's heart.

Leave Smash Pit alone, he's like the one last direct link I have to the Kid Icarus of yore.

Snakey

Sylux also appeared at the end of MP3, so no.

That was never confirmed to be Sylux. Sylux fans just think it was Sylux since the ship in the Metroid Prime 3 ending looked similar to Sylux's ship. It has been seven years since the release of Hunters, and 5.5 years since the release of Prime 3. Whatever ideas they had for that ending will likely be radically different now if they decide to make a new Metroid game than what they had in mind back in 2007.

Hunters is the one Metroid game that is regarded as being worse than Other M so no loss.

I agree with Thammy, that its pretty much going to be Ridley or bust for a Metroid newcomer in Smash 4.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Is it me? I bet it's me.

I share your frustration, I'M FINISHED. I really dislike the idea of Pit being completely changed for SSB4. Uprising's displayed contempt for the originals was bad enough, him being completely overhauled for SSB4 would be like the final stake in excising them from the continuity, a needless dagger to this old Kid Icarus fan's heart.

Leave Smash Pit alone, he's like the one last direct link I have to the Kid Icarus of yore.

Also I dunno, while the characters and presentation were always unique and likable, the original NES Kid Icarus is one of Nintendo's less timeless games IMO. While Uprising was definitely a *huge* departure I don't think strictly adhering to a foundation vaguely based off the original Metroid and made in a few hectic months was the way to go for a 25-years-late-sequel. To sum it up the original KI was far too muddled of a game mechanics-wise to consider doing a direct sequel to in today's day and age, and this is coming from someone who was glad when Nintendo stopped the years of experimentation with the DK series and just gave us our damn DKC4.

Pretty sure there's a Smash regular here who was also annoyed at what happened to Pit in-between KI and Uprising though.

The design doesn't concern me, the transformation of the IP does. If Kid Icarus is forever associated with third-person shooters instead of "Swiss army knife action-platforming" it can potentially trap the Kid Icarus franchise in a genre that it never was to begin with. The influence of Smash is strong and we don't know if Nintendo will use the Kid Icarus brand to continually experiment and spin-off from (Kirby, Wario, Pokémon) or keep it locked in a specific genre (Wave Race, Smash Bros., Advance Wars).

Maybe I am the only one here interested? I have babbled about this issue in this very thread and no one seemed to take notice. If the Kid Icarus franchise had a similar revival to Metroid (straight sequel and a switch-up) this probably wouldn't sour my eggplant as much.

Hopefully that game's surprisingly good (by Nintendo's standards) online rubs off on SSB4. I still can't comprehend how downright awful it is in Brawl, but at least I still had a ton of people to play it locally with.

Moveset wise I think everybody's thinking what you are; Pit will get a mostly new moveset, with a lot of his old moves being passed down to Palutena (Pit's mirror and side-B could easily be given to Palutena, with the side-B just being a generic GODDESS ENERGY BALL type deal).

gimme some of dat aurum island theme sakurai

I can't even remember the difference between 64's physics and Melee's, to be honest. But I do remember preferring 64's for whatever reason. I think it was better suited to time matches.

Does anyone have thoughts as to how Uprising will affect the new Smash? Considering that the bow isn't even Pit's starting weapon in that game, I could see Pit using different moves for different attacks. Or maybe Palutena having a moveset based of the other weapons.

I really hope that Kid Icarus would have three representatives to make it simple for most of fans who are concerned about Pit's moveset. Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit. Pit would remain to have his SSBB classic moveset, awhile Dark Pit would get uprising moveset.

If Sakurai preferred to change his moveset then I would be okay with that since the series have been evolving, along with video game.

That was never confirmed to be Sylux. Sylux fans just think it was Sylux since the ship in the Metroid Prime 3 ending looked similar to Sylux's ship. It has been seven years since the release of Hunters, and 5.5 years since the release of Prime 3. Whatever ideas they had for that ending will likely be radically different now if they decide to make a new Metroid game than what they had in mind back in 2007.

Hunters is the one Metroid game that is regarded as being worse than Other M so no loss.

I agree with Thammy, that its pretty much going to be Ridley or bust for a Metroid newcomer in Smash 4.

Yep, Ridley or BUST!

SmithnCo

Pit will most certainly have some new moves I think, at least a new Final Smash
because Palutena will be playable <3

I hope they don't change him too drastically though, just let him use some Uprising weapons in place of some of his more boring moves.

Ryce

Pit's Brawl move set was largely invented for Smash Bros., anyway, so I don't know why altering it would upset fans of the classic Kid Icarus. He'll still have his bow.

On that note, Smash Bros. always gets a bunch of newcomers with almost completely original move sets. Fans like to build hypothetical move sets using existing attacks that can all be traced back to existing games, but that's almost never the case in Smash Bros. -- Sakurai takes the essence of a character and puts his own spin on it. Move set "potential" is a nonissue.

Azure J

Pit will most certainly have some new moves I think, at least a new Final Smash
because Palutena will be playable <3

I hope they don't change him too drastically though, just let him use some Uprising weapons in place of some of his more boring moves.

If they literally left Pit as is and gave him the Three Sacred Treasures armor (the one he used VS. Medusa, not the uber godlike one) for his Final Smash, that would be the best way of handling him imho.

McNum

If they literally left Pit as is and gave him the Three Sacred Treasures armor (the one he used VS. Medusa, not the uber godlike one) for his Final Smash, that would be the best way of handling him imho.
But the Three Sacred Treasures are already part of his moveset. If Pit is going to get a new final smash from Uprising, there can be only one: (Final stage spoiler)
"Great Sacred Treasure activate!"
If you haven't played Uprising and want to see that spoiler for yourself, have a video.

If that isn't Pit's new Final Smash, I'll be disappointed. I mean just look at it.

Pretty much this. The only character that has anywhere close to the importance of Ridley is Dark Samus, and I think Ridley will get in before it does.

I know this hasn't really been touched on, but what Items would you guys like to see in Smash 4? :eek:

And to you KI: Uprising peeps, what are the chances of Pandora (Amazon) being a character? Did she have any significance to the story or just a boss? We'll most likely see Palutena as next representative. Just wondering for the sake of another female character playable. Ha.

I know this hasn't really been touched on, but what Items would you guys like to see in Smash 4? :eek:

And to you KI: Uprising peeps, what are the chances of Pandora (Amazon) being a character? Did she have any significance to the story or just a boss? We'll most likely see Palutena as next representative. Just wondering for the sake of another female character playable. Ha.

I think she'd work well as an Assist Trophy, but I'd take Hades over just about any other character that could feasibly be added. Any opportunity to hear his amazing voice outside of a story mode would be more than welcome.

SmithnCo

Nah, Pandora is fairly minor. I think Medusa or Viridi has much more of a shot.

Argh! Damn you YouTube me again extension and Mobile GAF, now I'm slightly spoiled since I haven't finished Uprising yet (saw the title of that video). No biggie though, still going to enjoy the hell out of this game.

Anyway, I'd like to see them do something akin to Nakoruru from SS and have Dark Pit be just a costume for Pit, but change his portrait and voice to properly match the character.

As for items, I made a post a while back saying they could add the golden flower from NSMB2 as a rare drop like the golden hammer. There are so many good items in Uprising, who knows what they'll add from there, I don't know where to start.

McNum

Argh! Damn you YouTube me again extension and Mobile GAF, now I'm slightly spoiled since I haven't finished Uprising yet (saw the title of that video). No biggie though, still going to enjoy the hell out of this game.

Anyway, I'd like to see them do something akin to Nakoruru from SS and have Dark Pit be just a costume for Pit, but change his portrait and voice to properly match the character.

As for items, I made a post a while back saying they could add the golden flower from NSMB2 as a rare drop like the golden hammer. There are so many good items in Uprising, who knows what they'll add from there, I don't know where to start.
Ah, sorry. I forget mobile GAF does that. Hope the preview image didn't show anything too bad. I deliberately chose not to name the link to avoid spoilers.

Pit's Brawl move set was largely invented for Smash Bros., anyway, so I don't know why altering it would upset fans of the classic Kid Icarus. He'll still have his bow.
Changing a few moves here and there I'm okay with, like his side-B (which was just made up nonsense and would work fine visually as a dash attack, as that's what the bow dash attack looks like in Uprising). I just reject the replacement of things like the Mirror Shield and the Centurions and his near complete reliance on his bow. I really don't want to see a full on move replacement by incorporating other weapons too fully into his moveset (like half First Blade or something). Pit as he stands in Smash feels more or less like an extension of Kid Icarus Pit, and I really don't want to see that removed to stick in new stuff for the sake of sticking in new stuff--it was dumb enough when Mario and Link did it, I don't want to see more of it.

I also in particular do not want to see the Great Sacred Treasure, if only because it bothers me as a Kid Icarus fan on a very fundamental level (but that's just my own admittedly selfish feeling on the matter).

May I suggest this extension instead.

If someone uses the URL tags for a custom link then the YouTube video name will not be revealed until you hover over it.

Thanks, will check it out.

Ah, sorry. I forget mobile GAF does that. Hope the preview image didn't show anything too bad. I deliberately chose not to name the link to avoid spoilers.

Well,
I'm only up to chapter 16 so here I am wondering if the Auram would end up being the final boss and here I see a thumbnail saying "Hades Final" so it narrows down the end game that was previously ambiguous for me. Funny thing is I probably wouldn't have been surprised as much if I had seen this when I was earlier in the game around Chapter 12 or so. But hey, this game is so good, just because I have a clearer view of the destination doesn't mean I can't enjoy the journey there

I think she'd work well as an Assist Trophy, but I'd take Hades over just about any other character that could feasibly be added. Any opportunity to hear his amazing voice outside of a story mode would be more than welcome.

Totally AGREED. LOVE Hades. I'd be happy with hidden banter on a stage like the Star Fox and Metal Gear stages as long as all the gods were there with their original voice actors.

I remember Sakurai saying that he wanted to update Pit as if he had gone through as many changes as Link and Mario have and that he had to be careful not to make him a Jack of all trades character like Link.

And strangely enough Kid Icarus is practically the only Nintendo classic I never played as a kid. I remember WANTING to (mostly due to Captain N), but I could never find it.

How exactly would the Golden Flower work? Since it turns things into coins.
I wish I could play it, it looks really awesome. And i'm curious what could come out from it as well.

Another item that I would like to see is the Blue Shell! I was expecting it to be in Brawl, and saddened that they took out the Red Shell. Even tho it was annoying, there should be no items left behind!

Is it me? I bet it's me.
For some bizarre reason I always get your username mixed up with Green Scar's, so I didn't want to garner a guess. But yeah I was remembering your similar post from a couple months back.

Also Dark Pit could work. A blatant recolor/clone-like character should annoy me, but Uprising being Uprising Dark Pit still has more personality than the majority of Smash's other cast.

It's alright, I get my username mixed up with Green Scar's too from time to time.

On the subject of items, here's a few I think could work:

Rambi Crate (Donkey Kong) -- Functions like a regular crate (can be broken open or thrown) but has Rambi's emblem on the side. Rambi appears out of it, characters can ride him, kind of like having a hammer I guess, I dunno.

Back Shield (Kid Icarus) -- An equipable item that grants you a floating shield that follows you from behind that blocks attacks to your rear for a while.

Cucco (The Legend of Zelda) -- Just kind of walks back and forth like Mr. Saturn. Can be picked up to let your character float after jumps, or alternatively it could be attacked three times to make it summon a barrage of angry Cuccos to attack everyone.

Space Jump (Metroid) --Equipable like the Screw Attack, allows your character to double jump indefinitely for a short period of time. Would be symbolized by the Space Jump icon from the 2D Metroids rather than the boots from the Prime games.

They should also bring back the Barrel Cannon and the Flipper (to replace the generic Bumper), and I think it'd be neat to have the Ray Gun to be visually redesigned to be the NES Zapper to have some congruity with the Super Scope. I tried not to think of any new Mario or Kirby items because there are already more than enough of those.

GamerSoul

I want Sandbag playable in SSB4. Let him have his revenge.
True. Damn, how could i forget Sandbag? Dude needs some love appreciation.

I think if they included one of the random one-shot characters from MP Hunters or MP3 instead of Ridley, there'd be a LOT of backlash.

So, so much backlash. Smash Gaf will asplode. Sakurai will then respond by revealing Baby/teen Ridley as a playable character. :3

On the subject of items, here's a few I think could work:

Rambi Crate (Donkey Kong) -- Functions like a regular crate (can be broken open or thrown) but has Rambi's emblem on the side. Rambi appears out of it, characters can ride him, kind of like having a hammer I guess, I dunno.

Cucco (The Legend of Zelda) -- Just kind of walks back and forth like Mr. Saturn. Can be picked up to let your character float after jumps, or alternatively it could be attacked three times to make it summon a barrage of angry Cuccos to attack everyone.

You know it would be really awesome to have Rambi as some sort of item, being able to create some massive damage to characters maybe without killing them? Trying to come up with an affect to it. XP

I actually can see the the chickens being an assist trophy. XD Definitely would love that for sure!

As i've said before, I don't think any items shouldn't return, they should all stay while adding a lot more. I actually had quite a lot of fun with bumpers. XD

w00tkins

Stage builder should come with an option to place permanent bumpers on the stage.

Well,
I'm only up to chapter 16 so here I am wondering if the Auram would end up being the final boss and here I see a thumbnail saying "Hades Final" so it narrows down the end game that was previously ambiguous for me. Funny thing is I probably wouldn't have been surprised as much if I had seen this when I was earlier in the game around Chapter 12 or so. But hey, this game is so good, just because I have a clearer view of the destination doesn't mean I can't enjoy the journey there
\

yeah I wouldn't worry. There are still plenty of surprises left! :p

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One item I'd think would be cool is "Baby Yoshi".

Works like Gulpin, as it can gobble up items and projectiles, but you can carry it around like a shield.

People were saying that for "the next smash" before the first trailer revealed ZSS so I wouldn't put much bank on that.

As for Ridley he's very much "if it hasn't happened yet then maybe it's just not gonna" cases to me. But ehh, I don't really care about him :/

L Thammy

Technically ZSS isn't so much a new character as a feature of the Samus character.

Now that I think about it, perhaps Ridley having a greater presence as a boss than other characters could be specifically because of his demand as a character. Sakurai didn't think he could or should make a playable Ridley and decided to throw the fans a bone. Even if it's true, Sakurai's also known to revive ideas he couldn't implement before, so I dunno what it says about his chances.

So did Sakurai simultaneously revive Pit and change him forever? I hope not...

The question is: could there be any more Kid Icarus games at all without Uprising? The dungeons in the platformers resemble Metroidvanias. That's a pretty niche genre as far as I know. It matches audiences with Smash Bros and gaming enthusiasts so it seems more popular than it is. A more linear offering than Castlevania or Metroid might not draw in the fans of the genre.

I really hope that Kid Icarus would have three representatives to make it simple for most of fans who are concerned about Pit's moveset. Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit. Pit would remain to have his SSBB classic moveset, awhile Dark Pit would get uprising moveset.

I had thought of Dark Pit as well, but I'd be really surprised if that happens. He's nearly identical to Pit in appearance and ability, moreso than the Mario brothers. Imagine if two people were playing a Team Battle with Pit and Dark Pit on the blue side. It's probably not a concern for any of us, but someone picking up the game for the first time could be really confused.

Stage builder should come with an option to place permanent bumpers on the stage.

I'd like more options in general. I wanted to make a scrolling stage and a pit full of Ultimate Chimaeras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom