• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, looking through them I was amazed at how many I remembered quite distinctly. I had kind of forgotten just how much the site had engulfed my life back in 2007.

One item I'd think would be cool is "Baby Yoshi".

Works like Gulpin, as it can gobble up items and projectiles, but you can carry it around like a shield.

That would be cool to have it appear as an egg that you have to hit a couple times to hatch.

Yeah, looking through them I was amazed at how many I remembered quite distinctly. I had kind of forgotten just how much the site had engulfed my life back in 2007.

Same. I used to stay awake every damn night with a couple friends in anticipation for what Sakurai released.

On the night of the Sonic reveal my friend was so nonchalant about it that I didn't believe him. Went to see for myself and my mind was blown lol

Yeah, that was a really good one. Just a "Woah, wait, what?" Completely out of left field--so many people had been hoping for a playable Pokemon Trainer but all of the ideas were just awful junk that didn't correspond to the characters in the games at all so most people had completely written off the idea as never gonna happen, and then it happens in a way that everyone could agree was not only the best way to go about it but something that seems like it should have happened in Smash Pokemon representation from day one.

The Ike update was probably the overall best I felt mostly because it was the first new character revealed. Seeing that "Warning! Challenger approaching!" thing appear above an update for the first time was just awesome. So many people had been convinced that the Dojo wouldn't ever reveal completely new characters and they would be left to new trailers but bam, it up and happens.

No, the best update was definitely Sonic's confirmation.

I mean, yeah, pretty much everyone had assumed it would happen once Snake was announced, but to see it actually happen was the most surreal thing I can think of in recent memory.

It was like,
ron-paul.gif

So worth staying up until 3AM EST to see unfurl live, college be damned.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Same. I used to stay awake every damn night with a couple friends in anticipation for what Sakurai released.

On the night of the Sonic reveal my friend was so nonchalant about it that I didn't believe him. Went to see for myself and my mind was blown lol

The Pokémon Trainer update was the most awesomely unexpected thing ever.

Yeah, that was a really good one. Just a "Woah, wait, what?" Completely out of left field--so many people had been hoping for a playable Pokemon Trainer but all of the ideas were just awful junk that didn't correspond to the characters in the games at all so most people had completely written off the idea as never gonna happen, and then it happens in a way that everyone could agree was not only the best way to go about it but something that seems like it should have happened in Smash Pokemon representation from day one.

The Ike update was probably the overall best I felt mostly because it was the first new character revealed. Seeing that "Warning! Challenger approaching!" thing appear above an update for the first time was just awesome. So many people had been convinced that the Dojo wouldn't ever reveal completely new characters and they would be left to new trailers but bam, it up and happens.

Same here, I was surprised with some of newcomers that got announced on Dojo such as Sonic, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar and etc. It was awesome surprises. I remembered that I were heartbroken when I saw samurai goroh as assist trophy. At first, I thought he was playable character until I noticed the yellow bar. Same thing with Little Mac.

I really hope that Super Smash Bros 4 would surprise us just like Brawl did. I have a feeling that it might not.

Edited:

Alright. I want to ask everyone here, do anyone think we will get announcement of Dojo this e3? I'm not looking forward to waiting for update from Dojo and everyone would have meltdown if they didn't get good updates.

JST update (2/3AM for EST)
Music and Troll updates (like YOU MUST RECOVER UPDATE)
and more!

tumblr_m72g0ozkkC1r4uthe.gif

CryingDawson.gif

Shiiiiii, the Smash Dojo better come back! They should even replace "Training" with "Smash Dojo" or something like that in the game, maybe online?

Either way, the Dojo should be a focal point of the next Smash's marketing strategy.

Huh so I was reading the History of Sonic book last night and in the snippet for Super Smash Bros Brawl they mentioned that...
- Nintendo asked for Sonic earlier in the design process but were denied.
- Sonic's eventual addition is in fact what delayed the game apparently.

Codeblue

I dug "Right There, Ride On". I'll listen to anything Naganuma composes though.

But yeah, one of the first things I did was turn off half the Sonic music. Especially that damn Secret Rings theme.

Azure J

But yeah, one of the first things I did was turn off half the Sonic music. Especially that damn Secret Rings theme.

To this day I still wish if both more Sonic Rush music made it into Brawl and for Naganuma to do mixes of the other Nintendo franchise music. That man is FAR too good to only have one song in Brawl.

qq more

Too bad that god awful song still plays in the credits no matter what.

Oh and the first AND only time I ever got a Mew was when it gave me SONIC HERRROOOESSSSSSS

:(

Azure J

It had HIS WORLD instrumental, so all is well.

Seriously, that song and its remixes are legendary.

I kinda wish if they didn't go all main theme happy especially since Sonic is like Elder God Tier with Megaman in terms of music throughout its history. At the same time, His World was fucking godly.

Ryce

The more I've been thinking about the following character, the more it makes sense to me. I've never seen it brought up before, but it's seemingly right down Sakurai's alley.

Do not highlight any of these spoilers if you have not played Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Chrom & Marth
Lucina

uEOPfQA.png

Both characters are promoted as the faces of Fire Emblem: Awakening, appearing together on the box, cartridge, and in marketing materials.

Chrom is one of the more "expected" newcomers, but really, how boring would that be? We don't need another standalone Ike.

Fire Emblem: Awakening features two new major gameplay mechanics, the dual system and pairing up.

We know that Sakurai intended to include Diddy and Dixie Kong as a tag character in Brawl, and we know that Plusle and Minun were planned in the vein of the Ice Climbers. Why not combine both of these mechanics into a more relevant character(s)? Chrom would be a semi-clone of Ike, and Marth
Lucina
would be a semi-clone of… Marth. You swap between the lead character using the Down Special Move, and maybe they'd each have a special move or two that utilizes both characters at once.

(In terms of physical appearance,
Lucina would most likely be maskless with her long hair down.
)

Chrom & Marth
Lucina
would be tackling three of Awakening's major mechanics at once. It's the perfect representation of that game.

1. Dual system
  2. Pairing up
  3. Having children

Sakurai likes zany two/three-in-one characters; Melee gave us Zelda/Sheik and the Ice Climbers, and Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, and the Pokémon Trainer were introduced in Brawl. I can't think of many realistic options for similar SSB4 newcomers.

Codeblue

To this day I still wish if both more Sonic Rush music made it into Brawl and for Naganuma to do mixes of the other Nintendo franchise music. That man is FAR too good to only have one song in Brawl.

I'll never understand why Sega doesn't put him on more projects. I feel like he's being wasted over there.

But they should totally invite him to remix some tracks. He can definitely run with the rest of Japan's top talent.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
One thing I'd like for the Dojo to do differently is to have little cinematic-style trailers for all the Character Reveals. Or at-least a video instead of a few pictures.

One thing I'd like for the Dojo to do differently is to have little cinematic-style trailers for all the Character Reveals. Or at-least a video instead of a few pictures.
Yeah, only Snake and Sonic got this luxury last time (at least on the Dojo; I don't really count the first batch of newcomers in the initial trailer), but it'd be nice if all the newcomers got it so I had a semblance of an idea as to how they worked.

I'm not sure how essenstially demoting Marth, one of the most popular characters competitively-speaking in Smash, into a more elaborate transformation character would pan out. They seemed to go out of their way to make sure the introduction of Zamus didn't interefere with any of Samus' regular moveset for instance.

Ryce

I'm not sure how essenstially demoting Marth, one of the most popular characters competitively-speaking in Smash, into a more elaborate transformation character would pan out. They seemed to go out of their way to make sure the introduction of Zamus didn't interefere with any of Samus' regular moveset for instance.
Marth would still be his own character. The tag team would be Chrom and Lucina.

Speaking of the DOJO!!, we probably won't be getting that until around next year's E3. When Brawl was revealed, the DOJO!! that first went up was essentially just a hype site. The daily updates began about a year later in May 2007.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
His World is only bearable because it is instrumental.

Super Sonic Racing and Sonic Boom are the acceptable songs.

fisheyes

If we're talking about surreal, I think Snake's announcement topped Sonic. How could E3 top this?

It really was so surreal - not just the fact that there was finally a third party character in Smash, but, of all people, it was Snake. The only way you could match that would be with another console's exclusive character, like Astrosanity said, or someone completely non video games. Put in Luke Skywalker.

Chrom & Marth
Lucina

I like this a lot. It really sounds like the kind of character choice Sakurai would make. The only thing I'm not sure about is that I don't know if it would be enough to make them both semi-clones. I'm not against clones or anything, but it would be weird to make a character with a unique concept and then make that character a partial clone of two other characters. I'm not sure if there are any FE13 characters who would be more suitable to partner up with Chrom aside from the new version of Marth, though, so I guess they might have to go that route.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Lucas update with "Up until now" was the worst thing ever. I nearly gave up on seeing Ness in Brawl

Back during that time, I found a random Japanese magazine scan showing Ness from Melee, and posted it on some websites claiming the text said that Ness was dropped, but would still appear in the Onett stage on the sidelines.

Lol.

Snakey

I am not a competitive player, but looks like Melee will be going to EVO. Congrats to the Smash Bros. fanbase on this.

Melee is definitely a masterpiece. I still play it to this day even though I have never gone to a tournament. I just hope they make Smash 4 less floaty and slow than Brawl, and bring back Mewtwo and Roy from Melee.

Kokonoe

Banned
I am not a competitive player, but looks like Melee will be going to EVO. Congrats to the Smash Bros. fanbase on this.

Melee is definitely a masterpiece. I still play it to this day even though I have never gone to a tournament. I just hope they make Smash 4 less floaty and slow than Brawl, and bring back Mewtwo and Roy from Melee.

Everything you said was holy.

ffdgh

I NEED my DR.Mario black outfit to return for smash 4 as an alt. Heck replace mario's moveset with the Doc since it's stronger and better overall.

ffdgh

Ahh yeah that thunder palm and his F-air are so darn good even with the latters loss of meteor smashing.

On ann unrelated note, sakurain better not screw up final destination's underside like in brawl. So darn stupid having an up-b getting stuck unless you have a wall jumper.

Kokonoe

Banned
Really excited about Melee getting into EVO. I just finished playing it, and it is such a well-made game.

I've been playing it all night myself, it really is, it's my favorite fighting game and in my top 10 games of all time. Love it so much.

I honestly played it till the last minute or so since I didn't feel like dealing with the countdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom