• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically ZSS isn't so much a new character as a feature of the Samus character.

Naaaaaa, she has her own stats, moves and everything. Plus Sakurai considers them (along with PT's pokemon and Zelda/ Sheik) a "characters" and not just one "slot" so I don't much see the point in mucking things up with stuff like "well technically".

But w/e, like I said ... don't much care either way. Point was just that no one saw her as a reasonable thing to expect over Ridley so there's nothing to say that that wont happen again.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Kid Icarus did get a Game Boy sequel, even if it was sort of awful.

Also I dunno, while the characters and presentation were always unique and likable, the original NES Kid Icarus is one of Nintendo's less timeless games IMO. While Uprising was definitely a *huge* departure I don't think strictly adhering to a foundation vaguely based off the original Metroid and made in a few hectic months was the way to go for a 25-years-late-sequel.

The Gameboy sequel isn't the best in the series, it felt like a lighter version of the original, but I still liked it. The music alone was worth the price of admission.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B14wbvOK424

I think the foundation is strong enough to continue with a more direct sequel. The foundation wasn't just Metroid it was also Super Mario, and Zelda, that's what made it unique, blending gameplay ideas from some of Nintendo's biggest franchises to create something different. There is no other franchise like the original Kid Icarus and expanding Nintendo's portfolio of genres instead of turning it into a Sin and Punishment companion would have been more interesting to me. However, I am not suggesting that Uprising was a bad game, but the continued demand for a sequel (which existed before Smash was even born) suggests that there were at least some people expecting/wanting a return to the style of gameplay present in the originals.

Is it me? I bet it's me.

I share your frustration, I'M FINISHED. I really dislike the idea of Pit being completely changed for SSB4. Uprising's displayed contempt for the originals was bad enough, him being completely overhauled for SSB4 would be like the final stake in excising them from the continuity, a needless dagger to this old Kid Icarus fan's heart.

Leave Smash Pit alone, he's like the one last direct link I have to the Kid Icarus of yore.

That pain. I feel it.

I really hope that Kid Icarus would have three representatives to make it simple for most of fans who are concerned about Pit's moveset. Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit. Pit would remain to have his SSBB classic moveset, awhile Dark Pit would get uprising moveset.

The proposal is a novel compromise but having any "Dark" characters in Smash just seems like a wasted roster spot to me. Especially when characters like Ridley, Duck Hunt Dog, Takamaru, Little Mac, and Sami are just sitting up in the attic growing cobwebs from lack of smashing.

The question is: could there be any more Kid Icarus games at all without Uprising? The dungeons in the platformers resemble Metroidvanias. That's a pretty niche genre as far as I know. It matches audiences with Smash Bros and gaming enthusiasts so it seems more popular than it is. A more linear offering than Castlevania or Metroid might not draw in the fans of the genre.

I am grateful that Sakurai made another game using the world and I don't know if there would have been another installment without him. My magic 8-ball says "all signs point to yes" but it has been brutally wrong in the past. The first Kid Icarus wasn't a bomb, I believe it sold a million copies on the NES, those numbers aren't as impressive as other heavy hitters on the console, but they are nothing to sneeze at either.

Naaaaaa, she has her own stats, moves and everything. Plus Sakurai considers them (along with PT's pokemon and Zelda/ Sheik) a "characters" and not just one "slot" so I don't much see the point in mucking things up with stuff like "well technically".

Wellll technicalllyyyy ZSS is still Samus so that's not really a "new" character, just an "alternate" version of Samus. Ya know?

But w/e, like I said ... don't much care either way. Point was just that no one saw her as a reasonable thing to expect over Ridley so there's nothing to say that that wont happen again.

So I think it's something like this:

Samus was already in Smash, so who would be the next best option from Metroid? Ridley. So what other character from Metroid would be acceptable without causing a fan outrage? Some other version of Samus.

I wouldn't doubt if that was Nintendo's line of thinking on that one lol

Kjellson

Since Namco is co-developing SSB4, do you guys think there's a chance of more than one Namco character? I think both Pac-Man and Lloyd Irving would be cool.

Anyone else hoping they dig deeper into the franchises' histories for their stages and have more graphical upgrades and reinterpretations of old environments rather than just pulling iconic areas from the most recent titles? I mean, all of the titles did the most recent thing to some extent, but Brawl was particularly bad in this sense (not necessarily because they were using more recent things more often, but mostly because none of them needed to be graphically updated too radically in comparison to the first two). I'd like to see more stages in the vein of Temple, both Brawl and Melee's stages named Yoshi's Island, and Jungle Japes. Like a modern interpretation of the Dark World from A Link to the Past or something rather than just HDing Skyloft and calling it a day.

And I'M FINISHED!, it's nice to see that there's someone else out there on NeoGaf that shares my pain in a sea of new Kid Icarus fans who have either never played the originals or don't think much of them. I felt kind of isolated in a fanbase that people like us had been partly responsible for keeping alive in the first place.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't want Lloyd because I don't want Tales fans especially born from Symphonia to get their enjoyment.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I still think they should leave Pit as is (bar his superior Uprising voice being used), and include Dark Pit as the Uprising-inspired character. :)

And I agree with the stages needing to be more than simply taking the latest game in the series as a reference, they should strive for a mix.

I really don't think Dark Pit is distinctive enough to work as a new character. His physique is far too similar to Pit; you'll mix the two up in the heat of a battle.

Ryce

Kid Icarus is barely big enough of a series to deserve a second playable Smash Bros. character. It's going to be Palutena or bust. Dark Pit will remain an alternate color. MARK MY WORDS!

Ryce

It's sakurai's new baby. I want palutena, Magnus....and this is pushing it medusa or atlease an alt for palutena.
It took until the third game for Sakurai to give his "old baby" multiple characters. Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Fire Emblem are all much larger than Kid Icarus, yet they only have two characters each in Brawl. Sakurai has said that giving each franchise proper representational balance is a focus for him.

It's also worth noting that room for newcomers will be scant; there are 39 characters in Brawl, and assuming that all (or most) of them come back, the new character count will likely hover somewhere around 8-12. That doesn't leave much room for Kid Icarus characters beyond Palutena.

I'll avatar bet you Hades or someone else will make it in instead.
Deal. :)

I think Ryce is right. Kid Icarus getting even one new character is hardly guaranteed, and I see no way it will be anyone other than Palutena, the character the series is named for in Japan, the next most important character in the series after Pit and the only one alongside Pit who is in all three titles, on top of her huge importance and constant presence in Uprising over everyone who isn't named Pit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Sakurai's supposed bias towards his own series is incredibly overstated. The only facet in Smash I would say that Kirby was given more than was due was storyline importance in the Subspace Emissary, which wasn't even written by Sakurai and in terms of total cutscene appearances hardly eclipse any other universe. Sure, Brawl added two new Kirby newcomers, but can you honestly say that it didn't deserve three by Brawl? I would say it deserved at least a second newcomer by Melee. Stage-wise Metroid got more new stages than Kirby, and Kirby is a much larger franchise than Metroid.

The only way I could see Kid Icarus getting a second newcomer other than Palutena is if Sakurai felt like adding Melee style clones to beef up the roster size and one of those was a Kid Icarus character (like Medusa for Palutena or Dark Pit for Pit or something, maybe Hades for Captain Falcon just to screw with everyone). But outside of that slim chance, no way.

If Hades is a clone I think I'll cry myself to sleep at night. I even made a moveset for him:

Hades

Hadesrenderw.png

Heavy, but relatively quick character.

Specials:

B: Hades Drill (Produces a drill from his chest that strikes multiple times.)

Side B: Hades Shot (Shoots either fast-moving blue projectiles that can be destroyed or slower-moving pink projectiles that must be dodged. Type fired depends on whether forward or B was pressed first.)

Up B: Warp Tunnel (Quickly travels through a vertical warp tunnel, barreling through enemies in his way.)

Down B: Hades Kick (More powerful and faster than Falcon Kick, but with more recovery.)

Final Smash: Devestation Ensemble (Fires a continous stream of projectiles out of guns on his body in the direction being faced.)

Also, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT THE RYCE-SCRAFTY AVATAR BET BEGAN ON THIS, THE 28TH OF JANUARY 2013 AND CONTINUED UNTIL THERE WERE NO MORE CHARACTERS TO BE ANNOUNCED.

Isn't Hades huge in Uprising? Or does he have a normal-sized form?

Gods in Kid Icarus can be whatever size they want.

EDIT: That said I'm basing this mostly off of the size discrepancy of Medusa between the original and Uprising--the gods themselves are never shown growing or shrinking in Uprising, the big versions of Palutena and what have you that you see are projections of their power, not their bodies grown to large size.

The more I think on it the more I am okay with the idea that Hades could take Ganondorf's moveset instead of Black Shadow; I'm not pining for a Kid Icarus newcomer anywhere near as much as I have been pining for an F-Zero newcomer for the past four games so it wouldn't bother me to see it pawned off on a relative newcomer and I think it'd be a nice bit of poetic justice to the character who's entire canon significance is based on the unearned usurping of a classic NES era villain's role--a nice bit of irony to have a classic villain's scraps tossed onto him.

If Hades is a clone I think I'll cry myself to sleep at night. I even made a moveset for him:

Also, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT THE RYCE-SCRAFTY AVATAR BET BEGAN ON THIS, THE 28TH OF JANUARY 2013 AND CONTINUED UNTIL THERE WERE NO MORE CHARACTERS TO BE ANNOUNCED.
lol, Imagine if they gave Ganondorf and original moveset but then made Hades the C.Falcon clone.
I can see it happening.

Azure J

It's sakurai's new baby. I want palutena, Magnus....and this is pushing it medusa or atlease an alt for palutena.

The KI:U cast is so good that if they literally put everyone into the same roster without confirming anyone else, I'd foward 60 bucks to NCL right this instant as the ultimate preorder.

GamerSoul

Damn right. My hate for the series (particularly the ones made by Symphonia team) is unmatched.

Woah, woah. Who are you? I thought I knew you, Boss. lol I LOVED SYMPHONIA. Played it more times than I can count. It was my first too so yeah. Saying all that, i don't think Llyod will be in.

Kid Icarus is barely big enough of a series to deserve a second playable Smash Bros. character. It's going to be Palutena or bust. Dark Pit will remain an alternate color. MARK MY WORDS!

Imo, Pit and Palutena would be a great KI rep combo. Everything else is icing.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Imo, Pit and Palutena would be a great KI rep combo. Everything else is icing.

Yup! I haven't really played KI 3DS yet since I'm still waiting for better color for 3DS XL, so here is a hope for Luigi Mansion themed 3DS XL.

I'm very fond of Kid Icarus (old game), but I'm willing to accept that if Sakurai chose to change Pit's moveset to match up with Uprising. It's not end of the world if he did.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I'm very fond of Kid Icarus (old game), but I'm willing to accept that if Sakurai chose to change Pit's moveset to match up with Uprising. It's not end of the world if he did.

It's not just the end of the world but the end of the Underworld, Overworld, and Skyworld!

The more I think on it the more I am okay with the idea that Hades could take Ganondorf's moveset instead of Black Shadow; I'm not pining for a Kid Icarus newcomer anywhere near as much as I have been pining for an F-Zero newcomer for the past four games so it wouldn't bother me to see it pawned off on a relative newcomer and I think it'd be a nice bit of poetic justice to the character who's entire canon significance is based on the unearned usurping of a classic NES era villain's role--a nice bit of irony to have a classic villain's scraps tossed onto him.
While Ganondorf having his own moveset would be long overdue, making somebody else with a ton of moveset potential a Falcon clone wouldn't really fix the problem IMO.

I could sure as hell go for some cyberpunk samurai action though. I've said it before, it wouldn't surprise me if Goroh was planned for both Melee and Brawl at some point.

GamerSoul

AH, so you guys want customization? :p I can see how it can benefit some characters like Pit, but others are not as lucky.

On the topic of will KI get more than one other roster spot, I remember Sakurai saying he might not touch KI for awhile so I thought it could be relevant.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/09/no-sequel-for-kid-icarus-uprising

When asked if he and his Project Sora team had created such a rich, lasting universe so that it could easily be returned to in future projects, Sakurai said, “If by ‘lasting universe’ you mean to ask if there's a sequel, the answer is no.” Sakurai went on to explain that the reason is “because we pushed a lot into the game in order to let people have this short yet deep experience, but the novelty of that would likely grow thin in the next game. For now, my thought is that perhaps we'll see someone else besides me make another Kid Icarus in another 25 years.”

So who knows. Maybe we'll get a third KI character because Sakurai feels like that will be his last go at the series for awhile so people can enjoy his charcaters through Smash until he or someone else creates on KI. Yea, it's a bit of a long shot.

I'M FINISHED!

I remember an interview with one of the higher up members of the first Kid Icarus team saying that he would be interested in making a sequel using Pit's Smash design, but I can't seem to find it on the interwebverse.

You know, I wouldn't mind Neogaf's favorite developer Yoshio Sakamoto getting another stab at the series. It would be really dandy if Toru Osawa could be involved as well. I will write Nintendo about this now. I am sure they will start development right after they finish reading my email and immediately appoint me as the new president of NOA.

I remember an interview with one of the higher up members of the first Kid Icarus team saying that he would be interested in making a sequel using Pit's Smash design, but I can't seem to find it on the interwebverse.

You know, I wouldn't mind Neogaf's favorite developer Yoshio Sakamoto getting another stab at the series. It would be really dandy if Toru Osawa could be involved as well. I will write Nintendo about this now. I am sure they will start development right after they finish reading my email and immediately appoint me as the new president of NOA.
Keep him the fuck away from the plot and sure, I'd like to see what a Metroid veteran like Sakamoto could come up with for a more 'classic' Kid Icarus.

Okay, so I've been looking through the Dojo again for some nostalgia and it's making me really look forward to a potential similar experience for the next Smash, if only for the bizarre Sakurai-isms.

Sakurai said:
It reminds me of being in some underground bar, sitting next to an overdressed man who is wafting his cigarette smoke through the air, the pinched corners of his mouth evidence enough that he is plotting something full of intrigue.

Sakurai said:
The part at the end is THAT song. Y’know...

"Look! Samus is evolving!"

...Yeah, that one.

Sakurai said:
But is that a real dish? Something like stone soup, maybe? Can you put just anything in there? Are you sure?

Sakurai said:
I’ll do it! I’m doing it!

...He never says anything like that.

GamerSoul

Okay, so I've been looking through the Dojo again for some nostalgia and it's making me really look forward to a potential similar experience for the next Smash, if only for the bizarre Sakurai-isms.

Hah, so true. Those were pretty good ones right there. The Starfy one was priceless.

One day when I have 3 years, I'm going to read through the old dojo thread.

lol, yea it might take that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom