• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey

I was doing event 51 over and over, trying to get that "beat event 51 with one life" message. Has anyone here gotten that?

I have done it.

I wish Sakurai would catch wind of this endeavor by the Western Smash Bros. community. Hopefully, some day we get an HD Melee with a re-balanced roster and online added in.

On a sidenote, Sakurai made notice on the Dojo that Meowth and the Bumper returned from Smash 64. Character specific entrances were another aspect cut from Melee that returned for Brawl.

I think if Sakurai would bring back small things like that in which there was not much of a strong demand for, he would certainly bring back cut characters there is a demand for. Melee is also the game in the series that has the most nostalgia for it seems.

I think if Smash 4 is better made than Brawl, Brawl will probably fall down the memory hole because of Brawl's advantage in terms of roster will be mitigated by Smash 4 (especially if there are no cuts in Smash 4).

Melee on the other hand has become a game for the ages.

ffdgh

I was doing event 51 over and over, trying to get that "beat event 51 with one life" message. Has anyone here gotten that?

With peach yes. Gigabowser is no issue and he somtimes kill mewtwo while he charges shadowball. The real challenge is mewtwo and ganondorf. I just keep dodging until a pokeball appears or other items.

Azure J

One of the bigger reasons why I'm so much more excited for Smash 4 than I was for Brawl (amazing to think about really) is that with Nintendo adopting more modern practices like DLC and community based things like Miiverse and the like, there could always be a channel for certain requests and should there be a persistent Smash team at Nintendo post launch, there could also be decent amounts of post game support, especially with Sakurai at the forefront. He's definitely Nintendo's most progressive developer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just realised Miiverse will be a horrible place of casual vs tourney players arguing against each other.

Whatever because real men use items.

McNum

You know what would be interesting to see? Non-random items. A switch to set items to Random/Set/None. Set would have items spawn at regular intervals, like 15 seconds, in predetermined spots and in a predetermined order of escalating power. Each stage would have its own set, so a Pokémon stage would spawn Pokéballs while a Mario stage would have more Mushrooms and Bob-ombs. If an item is switched off, it'll spawn something generic, like ten food items or something like that.

Suddenly, item control becomes part of the stage itself. And you know exactly where and when to expect them. That could add a few new strategic elements to the game, while keeping the showiness of items there.

GamerSoul

On ann unrelated note, sakurain better not screw up final destination's underside like in brawl. So darn stupid having an up-b getting stuck unless you have a wall jumper.

Yea, I never understood why they changed FD. And it wasn't like every stage had that weird problem.

Really excited about Melee getting into EVO. I just finished playing it, and it is such a well-made game.

Like Snaky said, it's a masterpiece. The controls and even the graphics are timeless and age so well. It will probably be the main game ill watch at EVO.

You know what would be interesting to see? Non-random items. A switch to set items to Random/Set/None. Set would have items spawn at regular intervals, like 15 seconds, in predetermined spots and in a predetermined order of escalating power. Each stage would have its own set, so a Pokémon stage would spawn Pokéballs while a Mario stage would have more Mushrooms and Bob-ombs. If an item is switched off, it'll spawn something generic, like ten food items or something like that.

Suddenly, item control becomes part of the stage itself. And you know exactly where and when to expect them. That could add a few new strategic elements to the game, while keeping the showiness of items there.

An option like this would be very cool and would be a great fresh way to integrate items. I never even considered that idea. I still think the items shouldn't be stage specific but the concept is awesome and could add some more strategy to the item game.

McNum

An option like this would be very cool and would be a great fresh way to integrate items. I never even considered that idea. I still think the items shouldn't be stage specific but the concept is awesome and could add some more strategy to the item game.
Yeah, was reading the Melee at EVO thing, which is nice, too bad for Skullgirls, though, and having the usual thought that it's a little sad that items and the competitive way of playing aren't compatible. But then I thought of Quake. And Unreal Tournament. Weapons, powerups, and armor spawn on a timer and it's considered masterful play to absolutely dominate these timed respawns. If you're there the second the Super Shield spawns, you're not only boosting yourself, but denying the opponent that, even if you already have it.

That style of items would definitely also work in Smash. "At 1:30 a Beam Sword will spawn on the left platform of Battlefield." I mean, I'd be trying to get to that platform so I could catch the sword in the air. And since it's entirely predictable that I'm a Beam Sword addict, you'd know it, too, so you could block my way, beat me to it, or even grab it and toss it off the stage if you just want it out of play since your character doesn't benefit much from one and mine does. Just as an example.

And if they escalate in power, they'd be a nice mechanic to end matches quicker. When Bob-ombs, Smart Bombs, legendary Pokémon and maybe even Smash Balls start appearing, it's the game telling you to KO faster.

I think if Smash 4 is better made than Brawl, Brawl will probably fall down the memory hole because of Brawl's advantage in terms of roster will be mitigated by Smash 4 (especially if there are no cuts in Smash 4).

Melee on the other hand has become a game for the ages.

As someone who just about prefers Brawl to Melee I actually agree with this.

ffdgh

Oh that's pretty cool. Wonder if they'll find a cool way to make the fighters go back to the top floor. Maybe have the bottom room's floor shift up like an elevator?

Any cool Sonic stages worth showing? :D

EDIT: Man, I want to make custom Brawl levels now hahaha.

Sonic 2: Death Egg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lztyc0rSkrg

Sonic 3 and knuckles nostalgia: Dooms day zone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_rlnzXBYK4

Sonic adventure: perfect chaos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEob_ETkLWM

Sonic Unleashed: Eggman land
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nyfrwqiLg

That Lucario move set fits the Mewtwo skin well!
....initiate cycle phase: Lucario

I hate the fact that I never beat the Prime and Poke Cups in Pokemon Stadium, I got dicked on by that stupid Mew right near the end, at least I beat gym leader castle.
Armed with what I know now about Gen 1 being broken I would just go with a bunch of fast pokemon and Psychic types.

qq more

Sonic 2: Death Egg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lztyc0rSkrg

Sonic 3 and knuckles nostalgia: Dooms day zone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_rlnzXBYK4

Sonic adventure: perfect chaos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEob_ETkLWM

Sonic Unleashed: Eggman land
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nyfrwqiLg

Dooms Day Zone looks really boring but then again not much you can do with such a stage.

Eggman Land looks pretty cool (even though it's a remake of that Metroid level).

I haven't watched all of Perfect Chaos but can Chaos attack from the background? Would be really neat.

Death Egg looks kind of neat but the real news is that there's a Metal Sonic mod?!?!?! :D

Then there's also this epic gem.

Mewtwo Stadium

I may have to pester some people on Smashboards to figure how to import this into melee.

I love that VS Mewtwo song.

Yeah, because you can replace all the crap music HA HA HA!

Custom stages are fun when they work, shame a lot of them are flat walk off stages.

Textures are really damn awesome, some of the model imports are great too (I prefer the more creative "character cosplaying" textures, but there are some that work really well like Golbez on Ganondorf and a Stormtrooper over Snake)

I agree on stages, but some of the recolors are nice (I have a Snowy Temple and Rainy Night Bridge of Eldin which look superb)

That is more awesome than awesome. Shame Melee modding is still kinda fresh, maybe there's a way to import it, but still Melee modding is still harder since you have to rebuild the ISO itself.

It's a little easier now with USB Loader, but yeah, nowhere near as convenient. Also unlike Brawl, Texture hacks HAVE to go to their designated slot. You can't just rename the file and put it in a different slot like you can with Brawl) :/ It is nice to give Luigi a proper voice though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah I prefer recolours that are inspired by a character ratehr than reworked models. Mostly because colours tend to work out of the box whereas models can have unexpected glitches that are never resolved (found a Luigi costume based on the last boss of Super Paper Mario) and his throws were an instant KO.

I should go through the files I've got got loaded up. PAL is still a bit of a pain when it comes to modding, but thank God for Riivoluation.

ffdgh

Haha that remix of Flying battery zone is amazing.

After years, I finally replayed melee again today and dang everything is so freaking fast and fluent than I remember and I totally love it XD. Feels good doing combos and the cpu not airdodging out of them repeatedly and dem melee throws <3.

Also the gravity is just right instead of being so floaty.

Then there's also this epic gem.

Mewtwo Stadium

I may have to pester some people on Smashboards to figure how to import this into melee.

Someone should mod all characters into Mewtwo textures and make vids of it (ie: Characters with Mewtwo colors/parts like when Kirby eats him). Market it to show how much the community loves Mewtwo and hopefully Nintendo might stumble upon it.

Mewtwo for SSB4.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not sure when Nintendo event will happens but here is countdown for people who want to know.

t1370970000z1.png

fisheyes

So, since discussion has died off, and I'm sitting at home bored, I want to propose an idea I've had for what I would do if I was developing SSB4 to keep things fresh whilst not messing with the previous gameplay too much. It involves the assist trophies. At the moment, do they really serve any great new purpose? Gameplay-wise, they're essentially Pokemon, and, although I know they were meant to 'fill the void' of characters that couldn't be put in as playable, do they really work? Was anybody that wanted Samurai Goroh as a character really satisfied by seeing him randomly spawn once out of every 20 times you got a particular item?

My solution: Have an 'assist' attack, assigned to probably the Y or X button by default.

Basically, after selecting your character, you'd be brought to a second screen full of assist characters (which could present a more obscure, 'out-there' selection than the regular roster), and each player would select one. Each player would then have an assist bar displayed on the bottom of the screen, which would build up through the match (you could change the way it fills in the settings, but by default, it would probably build up in a manner not unlike the score in the score mode in Melee built up, encouraging using different moves, etc), and, once full, you could use your assist. This would, in most cases, see your character 'become' your assist instantaneously, use its attack, and see you transform back into your selected fighter.

Each assist would have its own ability, and some would be able to do some more out their things.

The majority would use 'attacks' as normal. Fill meter, hit Y, change into character, perform attack, meter resets to zero. These attacks would be stronger than 'normal' attacks, and generally be good smash attacks. Some attacks could just be ripped from other characters but with a strength boost, for example Roy could be brought back, using his old 'B' attack (a great way to bring him back without using a playable character slot he probably doesn't 'deserve'), while others could be 'new' attacks.

Others may have less strong attacks, but get multiple uses. For example, you build the meter, hit Y, and you'll use the first attack, and lose whatever percentage of the mater necessary (so if you get 3 shots, you lose a third each time, etc). Your meter wouldn't build back up until you used all of them though, so you're encouraged not to hold on to them for too long. An example could be Duck Hunt Dog, who fires a NES zapper (similar to Fox's B, but stronger). You get 3 shots.

These could work for other types of 'attacks', too, such as recovery. I could picture a horizontally moving recovery move through Tails, and a vertically moving recovery through Balloon Fighter.

You could also go further than that, they wouldn't all just need to be 'attacks'. You could have a whole set of assist that just give the player an item / the effects of an item. A Lip assist could grant you an automatic Lip's Stick, activate Otacon, and its like you got a free Cloaking Device, activate Happy Mask Salesman and boom, 'free' Bunny Hood, etcetera. They would all act exactly as the items usually do, last as long, in some cases, can be knocked out of your hand, etc. Just a 'free' item.

You could even play with other effects. What about the various Djinns from Golden Sun giving you a limited time Fire / Ice / whatever effect to all your attacks? A Gardevour that uses protect to make your shield twice as big for a limited time? Maybe the pitcher from Nintendo's old baseball game could boost the power of all your projectile attacks.

Hell, get really weird. What about a Mr Mime that, for a limited time, replaces your character with a Substitute, which can be attacked for damage but won't go anywhere. Maybe the old idea of Ditto transforming into a character in the match could be brought back as an assist, I don't know.

Ideally, the system would add variety - if everybody is going to use Metaknight, at least have them using Metaknight with different assists - and also boost characters in certain ways to make them more viable - give a character with a tether recovery move a more 'traditional' one and they might be more usable for some.

I realise that it probably wouldn't be too long before the community realised that character X with assist Y was the best combo and went straight to a broken tier, but hopefully an assist would be easier to rebalance through a patch than a regular character, and, if not, ah well, the game would be broken to those players anyway, at least it gives more options.

So, that went forever, but there you go. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom