• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

Personally, I wouldn't count Geno as an actual Square Enix rep for the roster because he's still a Mario character, despite being owned by SE. I think they can get away with adding Geno and a SE character.

They could, but it would be weird to see them use development hours to make Geno of all characters playable. Dude isn't relevant at all and is just boring all around.

I think Paper Mario would be suitable to represent the spectrum of Mario RPGs, his paper properties could be funny and unique.

qq more

They could, but it would be weird to see them use development hours to make Geno of all characters playable. Dude isn't relevant at all and is just boring all around.

I think Paper Mario would be suitable to represent the spectrum of Mario RPGs, his paper properties could be funny and unique.

Yeah I pretty much agree with this, especially with the relevancy bit (but not the Geno being boring part but only because I haven't played far enough to meet him... so I can't judge the character himself). I wouldn't be against Geno but I'm not exactly Pro-Geno either.

Paper Mario has tons of potential. It'd be great if he gets in.

Star 'Stache Smash

GASP
tumblr_lukt7uukRi1qaa9rq.jpg

Paper Mario would be pretty cool, yeah. A lot more hammer-play than normal Mario.

GamerSoul

So, since discussion has died off, and I'm sitting at home bored, I want to propose an idea I've had for what I would do if I was developing SSB4 to keep things fresh whilst not messing with the previous gameplay too much. It involves the assist trophies. At the moment, do they really serve any great new purpose? Gameplay-wise, they're essentially Pokemon, and, although I know they were meant to 'fill the void' of characters that couldn't be put in as playable, do they really work? Was anybody that wanted Samurai Goroh as a character really satisfied by seeing him randomly spawn once out of every 20 times you got a particular item?

My solution: Have an 'assist' attack, assigned to probably the Y or X button by default.

Basically, after selecting your character, you'd be brought to a second screen full of assist characters (which could present a more obscure, 'out-there' selection than the regular roster), and each player would select one. Each player would then have an assist bar displayed on the bottom of the screen, which would build up through the match (you could change the way it fills in the settings, but by default, it would probably build up in a manner not unlike the score in the score mode in Melee built up, encouraging using different moves, etc), and, once full, you could use your assist. This would, in most cases, see your character 'become' your assist instantaneously, use its attack, and see you transform back into your selected fighter.

Each assist would have its own ability, and some would be able to do some more out their things.

The majority would use 'attacks' as normal. Fill meter, hit Y, change into character, perform attack, meter resets to zero. These attacks would be stronger than 'normal' attacks, and generally be good smash attacks. Some attacks could just be ripped from other characters but with a strength boost, for example Roy could be brought back, using his old 'B' attack (a great way to bring him back without using a playable character slot he probably doesn't 'deserve'), while others could be 'new' attacks.

Others may have less strong attacks, but get multiple uses. For example, you build the meter, hit Y, and you'll use the first attack, and lose whatever percentage of the mater necessary (so if you get 3 shots, you lose a third each time, etc). Your meter wouldn't build back up until you used all of them though, so you're encouraged not to hold on to them for too long. An example could be Duck Hunt Dog, who fires a NES zapper (similar to Fox's B, but stronger). You get 3 shots.

These could work for other types of 'attacks', too, such as recovery. I could picture a horizontally moving recovery move through Tails, and a vertically moving recovery through Balloon Fighter.

You could also go further than that, they wouldn't all just need to be 'attacks'. You could have a whole set of assist that just give the player an item / the effects of an item. A Lip assist could grant you an automatic Lip's Stick, activate Otacon, and its like you got a free Cloaking Device, activate Happy Mask Salesman and boom, 'free' Bunny Hood, etcetera. They would all act exactly as the items usually do, last as long, in some cases, can be knocked out of your hand, etc. Just a 'free' item.

You could even play with other effects. What about the various Djinns from Golden Sun giving you a limited time Fire / Ice / whatever effect to all your attacks? A Gardevour that uses protect to make your shield twice as big for a limited time? Maybe the pitcher from Nintendo's old baseball game could boost the power of all your projectile attacks.

Hell, get really weird. What about a Mr Mime that, for a limited time, replaces your character with a Substitute, which can be attacked for damage but won't go anywhere. Maybe the old idea of Ditto transforming into a character in the match could be brought back as an assist, I don't know.

Ideally, the system would add variety - if everybody is going to use Metaknight, at least have them using Metaknight with different assists - and also boost characters in certain ways to make them more viable - give a character with a tether recovery move a more 'traditional' one and they might be more usable for some.

I realise that it probably wouldn't be too long before the community realised that character X with assist Y was the best combo and went straight to a broken tier, but hopefully an assist would be easier to rebalance through a patch than a regular character, and, if not, ah well, the game would be broken to those players anyway, at least it gives more options.

So, that went forever, but there you go. Any thoughts?

I think the concept sounds great and its a good approach in evolving the ATs. It kinda reminds me of how MvC incorporates assists but theres more to it. More importantly it would make ATs more valuable and not just some random item thrown into the fray like traditional ones. They can fit nicely in between characters and items. It would be an amazing way to let players use their favorite charaters that didnt quite make the cut. I can see this atleast being implemented as a seperate mode to keep Smash the same at heart.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think the concept sounds great and its a good approach in evolving the ATs. It kinda reminds me of how MvC incorporates assists but theres more to it. More importantly it would make ATs more valuable and not just some random item thrown into the fray like traditional ones. They can fit nicely in between characters and items. It would be an amazing way to let players use their favorite charaters that didnt quite make the cut. I can see this atleast being implemented as a seperate mode to keep Smash the same at heart.

I am all for that mode as separate mode, and if that happened then I will sub Lyn as my assist. Dat 1KO slash.

CorvoSol

If they're gonna get a Square Rep, why not one of the FF1 characters who were in MSM? Or the WoL in red? Then they're representative of the series and nobodyeverybody can cry because their favorite didn't get picked!

Ryce

A Pokémon Trainer-esque three-in-one character comprising a ninja, black mage, and white mage would be nice, but that's way too much work for something that nobody really wants. Slime's a little... boring? Square Enix has a good relationship with Nintendo, but I'm not sure if they need a character in Smash Bros. Any additional guests outside of Pac-Man and Mega Man seem like overkill to me.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A Pokémon Trainer-esque three-in-one character comprising a ninja, black mage, and white mage would be nice, but that's way too much work for something that nobody really wants. Slime's a little... boring? Square Enix has a good relationship with Nintendo, but I'm not sure if they need a character in Smash Bros. Any additional guests outside of Pac-Man and Mega Man seem like overkill to me.

*coughGenocough* :p

*coughGenocough* :p

You should get that checked out. It's really obnoxious ;P

All jokes aside, the Squeenix character I'd really like to see in Smash 4 is Sora. Dude has more games on Nintendo consoles than Sony ones right now, and it'd be a fitting way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the series.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
You should get that checked out. It's really obnoxious ;P

All jokes aside, the Squeenix character I'd really like to see in Smash 4 is Sora. Dude has more games on Nintendo consoles than Sony ones right now, and it'd be a fitting way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the series.

Honestly, I don't mind Sora. He would be awesome character but I don't think Disney want him in fighting game right? FFD were supposed to be Kingdom Heart Fighting game but Disney nixed it.

Edited: your new avatar is awesome.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Squeenix could have a Chocobo or Black Mage representing FF, if they so desired.

But what about Simon Belmont? :(

I used to want to see Simon in Brawl but I'm not sure anymore.

Snake, Sonic, MegaMan and PacMan are more likely to happens. I wouldn't be surprised if those didn't happened tho.

Honestly, I don't mind Sora. He would be awesome character but I don't think Disney want him in fighting game right? FFD were supposed to be Kingdom Heart Fighting game but Disney nixed it.

Yeah, I can see how that could be a problem. Squeenix should just buy the rights to the character so they can use him as they please •~•

Edited: your new avatar is awesome.

Thanks! It's Pokémon X Kid Icarus X Metal Gear Rising. I felt it was appropriate considering I'm doing the OT for it in a week.

789shadow

Banned
I NEED Phoenix Wright.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Lightning.

On a more serious note, who do you think approach to other first? Nintendo or Square Enix?

Nintendo.

For Sega + Sonic situation, it was Nintendo or Sora LTD approached Sega to ask if they can use their Sonic in Brawl and they declined. Last minute, Sega decided to allow them to add Sonic in Brawl.

However, it's different story with Snake. I recalled that Kojima asked Sakurai to add Snake to Melee/Brawl because his son would like to see it happened. I'm not sure how reliable this source is.

However, it's different story with Snake. I recalled that Kojima asked Sakurai to add Snake to Melee/Brawl because his son would like to see it happened. I'm not sure how reliable this source is.

Yeah, Kojima approached Sakurai about getting Snake in Melee (partially so his son could see Snake in a kid-friendly game, I think), but it was too late. Years later, when Brawl entered development, Nintendo approached Konami and asked if their offer still stood.

Snake being in Melee definitely would have been strange.

I also have an old scan where Yuji Naka says Sonic was only kept out of Melee due to time constraints.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, Kojima approached Sakurai about getting Snake in Melee (partially so his son could see Snake in a kid-friendly game, I think), but it was too late. Years later, when Brawl entered development, Nintendo approached Konami and asked if their offer still stood.

I also have an old scan where Yuji Naka says Sonic was only kept out of Melee due to time constraints.

That is quite a bummer, would have been the biggest thing.

qq more

Is the scan allowed to be posted? I'd like to see it.

TrickRoom

I wonder if there's a possibility of any of these Third Party characters to take a place as an Assist Trophy without having an actual "roster character" representing them. There sure could be a lot more of them without taking of the space that the next Smash seems to want to clamp down on...

McNum

I wonder if there's a possibility of any of these Third Party characters to take a place as an Assist Trophy without having an actual "roster character" representing them. There sure could be a lot more of them without taking of the space that the next Smash seems to want to clamp down on...
Isn't Saki a Platinum Games character? I don't think Nintendo owns the Sin and Punishment IP, do they?

I'd love a Sin and Punishment 2 stage for the next Smash, though. Like the undersea tunnel or something like that.

Isn't Saki a Platinum Games character? I don't think Nintendo owns the Sin and Punishment IP, do they?

I'd love a Sin and Punishment 2 stage for the next Smash, though. Like the undersea tunnel or something like that.

I think you've got Platinum confused with Treasure.
But i'm pretty sure Nintendo own the S&P series.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Nope, a Nintendo IP.

Generally, devs rarely own a character/IP.

McNum

I think you've got Platinum confused with Treasure.
But i'm pretty sure Nintendo own the S&P series.
Yeah, sorry. I got the two mixed up. I was just thinking "That Japanese company that makes awesome action games" and Platinum was the first name that popped up in my head. I forgot that there are two of them. Treasure is the one doing awesome shooters, Platinum the one doing awesome third person games.

Kind of OT but Sony cut off SuperBot. The game flopped IMO because you can't copy a game like Smash without respecting the fundamentals that make Smash great. That whole AP thing was dumb and I'm shocked that style made it through development after failures like DreamMix TV.

If All-Stars was a straight rip of Smash but with Sony characters, I would've bought it. Hopefully Sakurai and co. don't mess with that special formula.

Ryce

This is just something I wanted to discuss because I'm worried that Sakurai's conservatism might negatively impact the roster of newcomers. I feel that now, more than ever before, there's a marked disparity between message board users' "shoo-ins" and what we're actually going to end up with. I sense a lot of disappointment.

Both Melee and Brawl introduced some very popular, "marketable" newcomers -- the kind of characters that could excite the more casual gamers.

Melee - Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Zelda, etc.
Brawl - Wario, Pokémon Trainer, King Dedede, Diddy Kong, Olimar, etc.

SSB4 is in a strange position where the pool of feasible A-tier newcomers has dried up. I can only think of the following characters that would resonate similarly to the Brawl newcomers, but I feel like they each have too many strikes against their inclusion.

Animal Crossing Hero - Animal Crossing is Nintendo's biggest franchise yet to be represented with a playable character, but Sakurai has flat-out said that the peaceful nature of the series does not mesh well with Smash Bros.' frenetic violence. I could very easily think up a fitting Animal Crossing moveset in five minutes, but that's besides the point; Sakurai's rigid conservatism makes me think that we won't be getting an Animal Crossing character in SSB4.

Toad - Toad is an instantly recognizable Nintendo icon who's had some pretty major roles in the past, and he's the only Mario Kart 64 racer to not be playable in Smash Bros. He could have a pretty unique spore/poison-based moveset, too. Again, given that Sakurai's in charge of these games, I don't see why he would decide to make Toad playable after appearing in two entries as one of Peach's special moves. That seems to be all Sakurai thinks Toad is good for.

Ridley - Sakurai wanted to add a Metroid newcomer to Brawl, so he went with… an alternate form of Samus that appears briefly in a single game instead of Samus' arch-nemesis spanning two decades. That speaks volumes to how little Sakurai feels Ridley would work as a playable character (even though he very easily could).

Dixie Kong - I get the impression, for whatever reason, that Sakurai feels Dixie Kong would only be worth including in a tag team; he didn't even bother salvaging what work he'd done in Brawl into its own character slot. Three separately selectable Kongs might be a bit much, and it's been a while since Dixie appeared in a game.

King K. Rool - Like Dixie, K. Rool is really irrelevant these days. And even though K. Rool could very easily have a unique moveset (I'm definitely not arguing this), I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai feels that Bowser is the only evil reptile king that's needed.

Little Mac - Punch-Out!!'s something of a cult hit in America, so there are a lot of people expecting his inclusion on message boards, but the series never took off in Japan. An Assist Trophy is probably what Sakurai feels is the best role for a boxer.

I feel like at least two of the above characters would have to be included just for the sake of placating longtime fans, and also because Nintendo's going to want a newcomer or two worthy of being placed on the cover of the game. Melee had Bowser and Brawl had Wario and Pokémon Trainer; I don't think a box art featuring Palutena and Chrom would be very appealing.

Kind of OT but Sony cut off SuperBot. The game flopped IMO because you can't copy a game like Smash without respecting the fundamentals that make Smash great. That whole AP thing was dumb and I'm shocked that style made it through development after failures like DreamMix TV.

If All-Stars was a straight rip of Smash but with Sony characters, I would've bought it. Hopefully Sakurai and co. don't mess with that special formula.

I think the reasons behind the game under performing are more related to other factors than just how it played.
Granted the super system for kills is one that deters some people immediately, hell I enjoy the game quite a bit but even so I think it's a pretty poor system for numerous reasons.
Yet I think Sony's lacklustre support of the title is what really damned it, a weak advertising campaign, amateur menu/visual design, it needed more features/modes, more Sony heritage, more dev time, better third party choices that have a "wow" factor.
Basically it's a perfect storm of smaller gripes that combine to make a pretty big mess, I think it's fun but it's sure as hell flawed.

But while i'm talking about it if there's something i'd like to see SSB take inspiration from regarding All Stars is its character customization which was pretty damn cool, costumes, victory themes, taunts, small assist character, just a bunch of neat little extras that made your chosen character come across a bit different to everyone else's character.

Regarding Ryce's post up there there's one point I feel like bringing up, the idea that Little Mac has less chance because Japan, you know i'd like to believe that considering how well the SSB series performs in the West that we could actually get what you could consider one of "our" characters. Mac has history behind him, was seen moderately recently with the Wii entry and is a perfect fit for a fighter, if the only knock against all this is Japan don't really care then I just don't see that as a huge detriment at this point, taking the other half of the player base into account shouldn't be unexpected by now.

At this point though i'm really thinking to expect the unexpected because the shoe ins are all dealt with.

qq more

Not sure if this has been discussed yet but would anyone love a Custom Event Match packs? It would be so cool to design your own Event Matches and send it to your friends.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not sure if this has been discussed yet but would anyone love a Custom Event Match packs? It would be so cool to design your own Event Matches and send it to your friends.

I would make several events myself for friends. I will make it nearly impossible for them to beat it. >:D

Snakey

This is just something I wanted to discuss because I'm worried that Sakurai's conservatism might negatively impact the roster of newcomers. I feel that now, more than ever before, there's a marked disparity between message board users' "shoo-ins" and what we're actually going to end up with. I sense a lot of disappointment.

Both Melee and Brawl introduced some very popular, "marketable" newcomers -- the kind of characters that could excite the more casual gamers.

SSB4 is in a strange position where the pool of feasible A-tier newcomers has dried up. I can only think of the following characters that would resonate similarly to the Brawl newcomers, but I feel like they each have too many strikes against their inclusion.

Animal Crossing Hero - Animal Crossing is Nintendo's biggest franchise yet to be represented with a playable character, but Sakurai has flat-out said that the peaceful nature of the series does not mesh well with Smash Bros.' frenetic violence. I could very easily think up a fitting Animal Crossing moveset in five minutes, but that's besides the point; Sakurai's rigid conservatism makes me think that we won't be getting an Animal Crossing character in SSB4.

Toad - Toad is an instantly recognizable Nintendo icon who's had some pretty major roles in the past, and he's the only Mario Kart 64 racer to not be playable in Smash Bros. He could have a pretty unique spore/poison-based moveset, too. Again, given that Sakurai's in charge of these games, I don't see why he would decide to make Toad playable after appearing in two entries as one of Peach's special moves. That seems to be all Sakurai thinks Toad is good for.

Ridley - Sakurai wanted to add a Metroid newcomer to Brawl, so he went with… an alternate form of Samus that appears briefly in a single game instead of Samus' arch-nemesis spanning two decades. That speaks volumes to how little Sakurai feels Ridley would work as a playable character (even though he very easily could).

Dixie Kong - I get the impression, for whatever reason, that Sakurai feels Dixie Kong would only be worth including in a tag team; he didn't even bother salvaging what work he'd done in Brawl into its own character slot. Three separately selectable Kongs might be a bit much, and it's been a while since Dixie appeared in a game.

King K. Rool - Like Dixie, K. Rool is really irrelevant these days. And even though K. Rool could very easily have a unique moveset (I'm definitely not arguing this), I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai feels that Bowser is the only evil reptile king that's needed.

Little Mac - Punch-Out!!'s something of a cult hit in America, so there are a lot of people expecting his inclusion on message boards, but the series never took off in Japan. An Assist Trophy is probably what Sakurai feels is the best role for a boxer.

I feel like at least two of the above characters would have to be included just for the sake of placating longtime fans, and also because Nintendo's going to want a newcomer or two worthy of being placed on the cover of the game. Melee had Bowser and Brawl had Wario and Pokémon Trainer; I don't think a box art featuring Palutena and Chrom would be very appealing.

You pretty much outlined all the possible Nintendo "all-stars" left that they could possible use.

One thing you forgot to mention about Little Mac as a possible obstacle to his inclusion would him possibly not making to be an "interesting" fighter (all of his moves would be punches).

I think of the above listed, Toad and Ridley are probably the two most likely for Sakurai to re-evaluate his opinions on. Both characters interestingly enough had major roles in Nintendo Land (you played as Toads in Mario Chase, and Ridley was a boss fight in Metroid Blast). As you may know, there was also an attraction based off of Nazo no Murasame (Takamaru's Ninja Castle). Both characters also continued to have important roles in the series in games released after Brawl.

K. Rool and Dixie Kong would have made perfect sense to be characters to be added into the next game, however, as you said, both characters dropping off the face of the earth for half a decade could make Sakurai think DK and Diddy is all that series needs. I am still crossing my fingers that some sort of new DK title is announced at E3 2013.

For AC, I doubt Sakurai's opinion has changed considering the director of Animal Crossing used a similar line of reasoning about why there is no paid DLC for New Leaf and why its free (he said it would go against the nature of the series to have DLC that you would have to pay for).

qq more

B-B-B-BUT NAMCO DOESNT CARE ABOUT PACMAN!!!!
lol

EDIT: I just noticed your last part of the post.... Brawl? SSB4 CONFIRMED TO BE BRAWL REBOOT!!!!!!!!!

L Thammy

I think the reason PlayStation All-Stars failed was because it was too unfamiliar for its own audience and too familiar for the audience that it would appeal to.

A product is often seen as inferior if it's clearly an imitator, so it needs more to differentiate itself. Just look at all the failed Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat clones.

I don't see how you can think of Sakurai as conservative. His unpredictability is my favourite thing about his games.

Do you believe that in 2000, using foresight instead of hindsight, you could have seen Ice Climbers or Roy as obvious choices for characters? Did ROB and Mr. Game and Watch have huge popularity or were they picked for another reason?

Moreover, look at the games Sakurai's made. They're rarely obvious expansions of the previous game.

Kirby's Dream Land (Original title) -> Kirby's Adventure (Stealing powers, minigames, boss rush, level select) -> Super Star (Multiple games, large movesets, coop)

Smash Bros (Original title) -> Melee (Adventure, events, stadium, special melee, trophy) -> Brawl (My Music, custom stages, replays, Final Smash, learning AI)

Kirby's Pinball Land, Kirby's Block Ball, Kirby's Air Ride, and Kid Icarus have gameplay completely different from their series.

Snakey

I am actually really anxious about what will be the first few newcomers for Smash 4 considering there are so few obvious characters left.

My guesses for the first few newcomers to be unveiled are:
Ridley
Palutena
Takamaru
Some third-party newcomer (either Mega Man or someone from Namco)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am actually really anxious about what will be the first few newcomers for Smash 4 considering there are so few obvious characters left.

My guesses for the first few newcomers to be unveiled are:
Ridley
Palutena
Takamaru
Some third-party newcomer (either Mega Man or someone from Namco)

Did your list used to included Little Mac like awhile ago? I recalled that you usually have 5 characters on your list.

Ryce

Given Sakurai's roster size "feasibility" comments, I'd be surprised to see four newcomers revealed in the debut trailer -- that wouldn't leave a ton of space for Dojo reveals, especially considering some newcomers will have to be kept hidden. I think the trailer will focus on the Wii U and 3DS features and interconnectivity this time around with characters taking a backseat (unfortunately). I'm expecting to see Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, a popular newcomer, and a third-party newcomer.

Snakey

Given Sakurai's roster size "feasibility" comments, I'd be surprised to see four newcomers revealed in the debut trailer -- that wouldn't leave a ton of space for Dojo reveals, especially considering some newcomers will have to be kept hidden. I think the trailer will focus on the Wii U and 3DS features and interconnectivity this time around with characters taking a backseat (unfortunately). I'm expecting to see Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, a popular newcomer, and a third-party newcomer.

Well let's say that there is 12 newcomers in Smash 4. That would leave four characters for an unveil, four characters for the Dojo, and four hidden characters.

I think at the very least we will get one newcomer shown at E3 2013 (most likely a third-party character). If there is only ONE Nintendo character revealed, I could see it being either Ridley or Takamaru.

I think at the very most we will get 53 total playable characters in Smash 4 (that includes transformations).

As to IntellHeath's question, I have not put Little Mac as one of my predictions for among the first newcomers unveiled since 2010 (I only expect four characters at most now). I do think Little Mac is a strong contender to be among the first newcomers unveiled though.

Sadsic

If I would guess what the main character reveals would be for a trailer, it'd be Ghirahim, Paper Mario, Little Mac, the AC Representative and a Namco character. But that's going by the Brawl trailer template.

I'm actually expecting less characters in this game for some reason, but with heavily improved mechanics and shit to do in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom