• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey

Lots of shit in YT have many likes.

It really shows the herd mentality when it comes to Smash Bros. Good thing most of that cult died out.

I would say even Waluigi merits playable inclusion more than Geno does. Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario are the most probable candidates for a Mario newcomer.

Of those I would say Toad is the most deserving and iconic of the bunch (especially with the release of the New Super Mario Bros. home console games).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Wow, a weaboo AND a Geno fan! It's like crap rolled in one package!

I think people should show each other a respect because it's their interests and choices in characters. We shouldn't put them down because they just happened to like Krystal, Geno, Waluigi or Naked Falco ;)

Snakey

Waluigi should really be added as rep of the spinoff series like the sport and party games. But that's just me...

How would Waluigi represent the spinoffs more than any other character? Mario, Luigi, Bower, Peach, Yoshi, DK, and Wario all nearly have perfect attendance in the Mario spinoffs.

Besides, there are other ways to represent the "spinoffs" aside from a playable character. Just look at how Mario Kart was represented in Brawl. It was given a stage, lots of stickers, several pieces of music, and an item.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the second highest selling home console game of all time in Japan. Toad being a playable character in that definitely boosted the character's stock.

Also, speaking of Krystal, there have been a lot of Nintendo characters that have not made an appearance in games in years (or at least since Brawl's release).

F-Zero has gone over eight years without a new installment released, so it will probably just be Captain Falcon again.

Krystal's last appearance was in 2006. I expect that if a new installment is made, it will be a reboot of the franchise, that jumps off from SF64 and ignores the post-64 games, so Krystal could very well end up being erased from the series altogether. Fox, Falco, and Wolf is also all that series needs anyway.

The last DK game to have K. Rool and Dixie Kong was released in 2007, though there last appearance was Mario Super Sluggers, which was released in 2008, a few months after Brawl.

The biggest question is K. Rool and Dixie Kong seeing as there is a lot of demand for a DK newcomer for Smash 4. DKC Returns was a successful revival of the franchise that did not feature any of Rare's DK characters aside from Diddy, Cranky, Rambi, and Squawks.

Also, although Diddy Kong had missed Jungle Beat, he at least appeared in a lot of Mario spinoffs, the Donkey Konga games, and Paon's DK games, in the interim between Melee and Brawl. By comparison for K. Rool and Dixie Kong, they only made one game appearance since Brawl's release (Mario Super Sluggers).

I still think we will get at least K. Rool in Smash 4 (and if we get K. Rool, there will be a 50/50 chance that Dixie Kong gets added as well). However, he is definitely not the shoe-in that a lot of the fanbase believes him to be, and I would not be surprised if he did not make it in.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I want a lot of Gen V Pokemon music to be in it.

Speaking of Pokemon has Oak's Law affected the Smash cycle?

I think people should show each other a respect because it's their interests and choices in characters. We shouldn't put them down because they just happened to like Krystal, Geno, Waluigi or Naked Falco ;)

Waluigi fans are a-okay and seem to be joining in the fun. It's the Krystal and Geno fans that are worse. Not sure about the last one. :p

Also get your facts straight, it's not naked Falco, it's buff Falco! :D

qq more

How would Waluigi represent the spinoffs more than any other character? Mario, Luigi, Bower, Peach, Yoshi, DK, and Wario all nearly have perfect attendance in the Mario spinoffs.

Besides, there are other ways to represent the "spinoffs" aside from a playable character. Just look at how Mario Kart was represented in Brawl. It was given a stage, lots of stickers, several pieces of music, and an item.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii was the second highest selling home console game of all time in Japan. Toad being a playable character in that definitely boosted the character's stock.
Don't crush my hopes and dreams!

Krystal fans are weird. Most Geno fans are just really loud and annoying, worse when they threw a fit that he didn't make it to Brawl and all started coming up with conspiracy theories like how ROB replaced him or some other shit.

Mega Man didn't make it to Brawl and I was just disappointed but accepted it!

I'm not even sure what Toad would do. Yell about his princess being in another castle? Pulling up vegetables faster than anyone else? Being "the bed"? NSMBW/U-specific things like freeze flowers or squirrel and propeller suits?

At least with Waluigi, I could see them tossing in a sports-game-related moveset, considering that's more or less all he's ever been in. Might be interesting to see.

Krystal fans are weird. Most Geno fans are just really loud and annoying, worse when they threw a fit that he didn't make it to Brawl and all started coming up with conspiracy theories like how ROB replaced him or some other shit.

Let's not even get started on that ambiguous "Mushroom Forest" track that was cut and Geno fans have been rubbing their dicks over at it being the SMRPG track, not giving a second thought to the possibility of it actually being from Mario Party or Mario & Luigi, which both also have areas with that name, and that it confirms that Sakurai remembers SMRPG etc.

Oh screw you, that made me laugh way too hard, and laughing is no good in my current (sick) condition. :p

But Wolf's Clothes is a waste of character slot :<

Still better than Geno or Krystal.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Did anyone remembered Professor Layton's Viral Twitter?

Also the twitter account of "Layton" gave encouraging signs :
'"I received an invitation this morning to something called the "Grand Smash Brothers Tournament". Does anyone know anything about it?""I'm on my way to the "Grand Smash Tournament" now! Wish me luck! Though, I am not exactly sure what I am going to be doing..."'
'"This is nothing like what I expected! I was told to FIGHT a blue robot boy , a possessed doll , and a Tiny Boxer ! I'm leaving at once!"'

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Layton twitter account was both fake and run by a guy on NeoGAF.

Concerning Toad... Toad is just about the least interesting potential newcomer ever. If we're really down to the point for Mario newcomers that Toad is the only viable choice that slot really aught to go to some other franchise. Good lord.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That Layton Tweet is from four years ago. It doesn't mean anything.

Yep, I already knew it's fake. It was hilarious when Wii Will Rock U pretended to be Professor Layton on Twitter and hyped it up. Many people believed that it would happens.

qq more

I can't believe people actually fell for it. The whole Smash Bros thing screamed fake for many reasons. Like wow... are people really that gullible?

J-Tier

I can't believe people actually fell for it. The whole Smash Bros thing screamed fake for many reasons. Like wow... are people really that gullible?

Yep. To this day, people new to the internet communities fall for some of the most obvious things, and word spreads like a plague.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That Layton Tweet is from four years ago. It doesn't mean anything.

Yep. To this day, people new to the internet communities fall for some of the most obvious things, and word spreads like a plague.

I'm not sure but I remembered people thought Geno, Layton and MegaMan would be DLC for SSBB right. Or was it SSB4?

qq more

I'm not sure but I remembered people thought Geno, Layton and MegaMan would be DLC for SSBB right. Or was it SSB4?
I remember people actually getting upset that Brawl didn't have DLC at all

That also reminds me...There was a GAF post saying that he/she wants the Wii U to launch with a Smash Bros game (even though that is already practically impossible) with constant DLC or some shit with many third party character hints.

And then there's people (in this forum too) who posted that gigantic fake roster pic (with 100+ characters, I think it included characters like Batman and the Hulk) and some people replied with "MAN, I THOUGHT BRAWL WAS GONNA HAVE A HUGE ROSTER LIKE THIS"

People are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to Smash Bros. Yeesh.

J-Tier

I remember people actually getting upset that Brawl didn't have DLC at all

That also reminds me...There was a GAF post saying that he/she wants the Wii U to launch with a Smash Bros game (even though that is already practically impossible) with constant DLC or some shit with many third party character hints.

And then there's people (in this forum too) who posted that gigantic fake roster pic (with 100+ characters, I think it included characters like Batman and the Hulk) and some people replied with "MAN, I THOUGHT BRAWL WAS GONNA HAVE A HUGE ROSTER LIKE THIS"

People are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to Smash Bros. Yeesh.

Hahaha. Ridiculous indeed. Might as well add Mighty Mouse and Bender at that point.

Kokonoe

Banned
I seriously couldn't last 5 seconds of the video

and it has so many likes too ugh

TTk2TLD.jpg

Ryce

This Sakurai quote still bothers me...

It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.

:(

qq more

With all that said though, I don't really care if Geno gets in Smash Bros (even though I still think he has no chance). I mean it would be cool for a Mario RPG rep (seeing as how Smash Bros actually lacks one) but man those fans during that Brawl hype... Hope they won't be as loud and annoying this time.

This Sakurai quote still bothers me...

:(
With the "change of direction" quote, it can honestly mean anything.

ffdgh

With all that said though, I don't really care if Geno gets in Smash Bros (even though I still think he has no chance). I mean it would be cool for a Mario RPG rep (seeing as how Smash Bros actually lacks one) but man those fans during that Brawl hype... Hope they won't be as loud and annoying this time.

With the "change of direction" quote, it can honestly mean anything.

Hmm.....jump tripping, air tripping, glide tripping....tripping tripping lol.

SmithnCo

Thing is, Nintendo would have to work with Square, and I'd hope they'd actually use a Square character that is interesting. Geno is assist-trophy tier at best.

Though I'd welcome Mario RPG music.

Kokonoe

Banned
That reminds me, I need to finally beat Super Mario RPG as I haven't played the game in a very long time.

Also: I don't think Geno is a Square-Enix character, is he? He appeared in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

3nhPfTo.png

qq more

That reminds me, I need to finally beat Super Mario RPG as I haven't played the game in a very long time.

Also: I don't think Geno is a Square-Enix character, is he? He appeared in Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

3nhPfTo.png
I think Nintendo credited Square Enix for letting them use Geno? I haven't beaten the game yet but I plan to. Only halfway at this point!

Personally, I wouldn't count Geno as an actual Square Enix rep for the roster because he's still a Mario character, despite being owned by SE. I think they can get away with adding Geno and a SE character.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think Nintendo credited Square Enix for letting them use Geno? I haven't beaten the game yet but I plan to. Only halfway at this point!

Personally, I wouldn't count Geno as an actual Square Enix rep for the roster because he's still a Mario character, despite being owned by SE. I think they can get away with adding Geno and a SE character.

Oh, okay. I did some more research and you are correct.

Although Geno appears in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga in the minigame Star 'Stache Smash, he is a registered trademark of Square Enix, as the end credits of the game indicate. It says: "Regardless of the above-mentioned, the copyright of Geno, reserved by Square Enix, Co. Ltd.".

qq more

So, er, which is better, Brawl+ or Project M

I liked what I played of Project M so far, but the changes to some of the levels are awful. Green Hill Zone more like Flat Platform Zone. I haven't tried Brawl+ yet...

I should find a way to play Brawl- on Dolphin.

Kokonoe

Banned
So, er, which is better, Brawl+ or Project M

As someone who at least for a time enjoyed every single Smash title, I wouldn't suggest Brawl+ to those who like Smash being Smash. It is quite different and plays almost like a different game.

Project M is a hybrid of some Melee aspects and Brawl aspects, it's still a work in progress but I do prefer it over vanilla.

And the levels for Project M are optional, you can choose not to install them or which ones specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom