• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

?oe?oe

I had a dream where I found some new Smash info in a magazine and four (4) new characters were shown! Krystal, Andross, Pigma and King K. Rool. Take that as you will. You will get 3 more Star Fox characters and you will like it.

I had a dream where I found some new Smash info in a magazine and four (4) new characters were shown! Krystal, Andross, Pigma and King K. Rool. Take that as you will. You will get 3 more Star Fox characters and you will like it.

If there were three more Star Fox characters, I'd rather have Slippy/Leon over Krystal/Pigma
unless you mean Kursed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
People keep on insisting Krystal. It's bullshit.

I prefer Panther. :<

Oh right forgot to follow up on this

But while i'm talking about it if there's something i'd like to see SSB take inspiration from regarding All Stars is its character customization which was pretty damn cool, costumes, victory themes, taunts, small assist character, just a bunch of neat little extras that made your chosen character come across a bit different to everyone else's character.

I expect costumes. As for the rest? Nah. Smash already has three taunts. Victory themes are very iconic so I doubt they'll change that.

People keep on insisting Krystal. It's bullshit.

I prefer Panther. :<

Oh right forgot to follow up on this

I expect costumes. As for the rest? Nah. Smash already has three taunts. Victory themes are very iconic so I doubt they'll change that.

Considering that Meta Knight had a unique version of Kirby's victory theme, it's likely that all characters may get their own renditions. Also, shirtless costume?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
reuniclus_by_yattarosb-d3k6usj.png

Stop teasing me with shirtless stuff :<

And MK's theme is still the Kirby theme done in guitar. It's more of a favoritism thing lol

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Waluigi will be the only new character in Smash 4. He will be taking Snake's spot and will be the only S tier character in the game.

They really should make such a game. Nintendo really needs to stop putting Waluigi in just sport games and give him the potential he has.

I have been waiting for my Super Wario Bros. game forever now Nintendo, give me the goods!

Namco-Bandai could make a truly ultimate console mash up game with so many of their franchises that could rival Smash Bros if they truly wanted. I know there is that one game they are working on, but they really should go for something big with it.

DBZ

I think I would quit life to play this 24/7.

Snakey

There seems to be a lot of detractors for every possible contender for a Mario newcomer. Toad I think has the most qualifications of all the Mario characters though.

I am curious what people here think of Dixie Kong. I know a lot of people want K. Rool, though I am curious what people think of the only other viable contender for a DK newcomer aside from K. Rool.

Personally, I think Dixie Kong has enough worth to warrant being playable (DKC2 and DKC3 were both within the Top 10 best selling games for the SNES). However, like K. Rool she has the problem of not being relevant to her franchise since 2007/2008.

Weirdest thing about Dixie in recent times is that she got a figure in that line of small Mario figures.
But yeah Dixie essentially has the credentials if we consider that she headlined her own successful game back in 96 but man that was a long time ago now, unfortunately she hasn't been up to much since, a few Mario spinoff titles and cameo roles in some DK games but otherwise both her and K.Rool have been pretty dormant though she's actually popped up more frequently than K.Rool in the last decade.

Basically I think DK should get a newcomer but it's only going to be one of these two, the villain or the female side character, I think K.Rool has the leverage here being more popular, having the recurring villain role and better moveset potential.
Dixie's interesting to me in the sense that if she were in Smash i'd actually like a lot of her moves to be made from the ground up, using those monkey antics to create an acrobatic or even capoeira style to her attacks mixed with the whole using her hair angle.
At a stretch they could bring back the tag team idea Sakurai had before but use Kiddy Kong as the second character.

One thing always worth taking into account is the possibility that a new DK game is being worked on right now with either of these characters in it.

Azure J

They need to find a way to work Diddy & Dixie as a duo without losing what made Diddy so good in Brawl and add K.Rool in that case. Also, Red Arremer's post on Waluigi's moveset kinda makes me want to dig up some old ones I did for a hypothetical Mike Jones and Daisy.

There seems to be a lot of detractors for every possible contender for a Mario newcomer. Toad I think has the most qualifications of all the Mario characters though.

I am curious what people here think of Dixie Kong. I know a lot of people want K. Rool, though I am curious what people think of the only other viable contender for a DK newcomer aside from K. Rool.

Personally, I think Dixie Kong has enough worth to warrant being playable (DKC2 and DKC3 were both within the Top 10 best selling games for the SNES). However, like K. Rool she has the problem of not being relevant to her franchise since 2007/2008.

At this point, both Dixie and K. Rool seem to have been relegated to spinoffs, which puts them on the level of Daisy or Waluigi (with their sole difference being that they used to be part of the core series). Dixie seems to get a little more attention in spinoffs, so if I had to pick one DK character, it would be her. But because Sakurai said he didn't consider her important enough to include on her own, I doubt even she will get in if roster space is limited.

I think Toad is kind of like Bowser Jr. in that yeah, he is absolutely the most "qualified" Mario character to get into Smash Bros., but adding either of them would feel superfluous because neither would add much to the game. I can't imagine Toad being in the debut trailer or on the Dojo, and I don't think many people would really get excited about that.

Snakey

Weirdest thing about Dixie in recent times is that she got a figure in that line of small Mario figures.
But yeah Dixie essentially has the credentials if we consider that she headlined her own successful game back in 96 but man that was a long time ago now, unfortunately she hasn't been up to much since, a few Mario spinoff titles and cameo roles in some DK games but otherwise both her and K.Rool have been pretty dormant though she's actually popped up more frequently than K.Rool in the last decade.

One thing always worth taking into account is the possibility that a new DK game is being worked on right now with either of these characters in it.

Yeah, I noticed that she had received a small figurine too in that line of Mario figurines. I don't think it means anything though. The figurine though seems to be based off of her official artwork for Diddy Kong Racing DS (which was released in 2007).

Speaking of Diddy Kong Racing and the possibility of a new DK game being worked on, there is that rumored Diddy Kong Racing Wii U. Iwata said that there were more Wii U titles that were not unveiled yet that are planned to be released this year, and according to the rumors surrounding the game, it is planned to be unveiled at E3 2013 and they are aiming for a Holiday 2013 release.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If they want a DK newcomer maybe they should make Rambi an item. And instead of pressing A on the box to use it, you have to jump on it.

So I was thinking about something. Who are the most "important" characters from each series that aren't playable? Like, if the roster for this game was decided by just picking the "next-in-line" from each series (and I know it won't be), who would the newcomers be? I'm thinking:

Mario: Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Toad
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong, K. Rool
Zelda: Tingle, Toon Zelda (?)
Star Fox: Peppy, Slippy, Krystal
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Metroid: Ridley
Kirby: Waddle Dee
Pokemon: Pichu, Zoroark (?), the Pokemon Nintendo wants to represent the sixth gen with
Mother: Ninten (not saying that he would ever be playable, he's just the "next obvious character")
Fire Emblem: Chrom, Roy

Hm, good question.

Mario: Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi, Rosalina, Paper Mario
DK: Dixie, K. Rool
Yoshi: Kamek
Wario: Captain Syrup (Land), Ashley or Mona (Ware)
Zelda: Tingle
F-Zero: Goroh, Jody Summers, Black Shadow
Star Fox: Leon, Slippy
Kirby: Adeleine, Gooey, Prince Fluff
Pokemon: Mewtwo, Pichu, 6th gen mascot
Mother: Jeff, Paula, Kumatora
Fire Emblem: Chrom, Roy, that female Marth someone mentioned earlier
Kid Icarus: Palutena, Medusa

I think the problem with looking at how frequently K. Rool/Dixie are still used is that essentially there's only been two 'core' DK games since Rare left the series. One which got rid of everyone (and whose new characters were promptly never seen again) and another which was a 'back to basics' return to the original DKC, where getting rid of those two characters could be interpreted a number of different ways (Dixie isn't in DKC1, Retro didn't want to use Kremlings lest returns get labelled a remake when it wasn't one).

I don't see DK getting two new reps though. If they see DK as high-priority enough due to Returns doing gangbusters I reckon K. Rool will get in due to fan-popularity and having more going for him moveset-wise, if they don't see DK as high-priority but want to pad the roster out they'll use whatever they had planned for her in Brawl to make a quick addition ala Wolf.

Snakey

At this point, both Dixie and K. Rool seem to have been relegated to spinoffs, which puts them on the level of Daisy or Waluigi (with their sole difference being that they used to be part of the core series). Dixie seems to get a little more attention in spinoffs, so if I had to pick one DK character, it would be her. But because Sakurai said he didn't consider her important enough to include on her own, I doubt even she will get in if roster space is limited.

I think Toad is kind of like Bowser Jr. in that yeah, he is absolutely the most "qualified" Mario character to get into Smash Bros., but adding either of them would feel superfluous because neither would add much to the game. I can't imagine Toad being in the debut trailer or on the Dojo, and I don't think many people would really get excited about that.

You have pretty much written off every newcomer. I think if the pool was better for newcomers, K. Rool and Dixie Kong would have been written off by Sakurai due to no longer being relevant (especially in an extremely successful new title of DKC Returns), however, considering how few characters that are left that measure up to Brawl's bigger name newcomers.

So I was thinking about something. Who are the most "important" characters from each series that aren't playable? Like, if the roster for this game was decided by just picking the "next-in-line" from each series (and I know it won't be), who would the newcomers be? I'm thinking:

Mario: Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Toad
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Pokemon: Pichu, Zoroark (?), the Pokemon Nintendo wants to represent the sixth gen with
Mother: Ninten (not saying that he would ever be playable, he's just the "next obvious character")

I agree with this for the most part. However, I would say for Mother the next one in line (I doubt Mother will ever get a third playable character) would probably be Porky if they could somehow downsize his mech.

I also think Black Shadow would be really competitive for a second F-Zero playable character, especially if Ganondorf was ever given an entirely new moveset.

Hm, good question.

Mario: Bowser Jr., Toad, Waluigi, Rosalina, Paper Mario
DK: Dixie, K. Rool
Wario: Captain Syrup (Land), Ashley or Mona (Ware)
Zelda: Tingle
F-Zero: Goroh, Jody Summers, Black Shadow
Star Fox: Leon, Slippy
Kirby: Adeleine, Gooey, Prince Fluff
Pokemon: Mewtwo, Pichu, 6th gen mascot
Mother: Jeff, Paula, Kumatora
Fire Emblem: Chrom, Roy, that female Marth someone mentioned earlier
Kid Icarus: Palutena, Medusa

I disagree a lot more here. I don't see Waluigi and Rosalina happening (especially Rosalina).

As for Kirby, Adeline, Gooey, and Prince Fluff are all one-off characters I think (though I think Gooey cameoed in Dream Land 2, and Adeline may have been Ado in Dream Land 3). Still for at least Gooey and Adeline, both characters have been absent from the franchise for over a decade. Prince Fluff will probably never be seen again unless a Kirby's Epic Yarn 2 is ever made (which I doubt considering that Yoshi's game seems to be the next in line for the "Epic Yarn" style).

For Wario, Ashley is no more significant than any other of the WarioWare characters. All she has going for her is her popularity being a goth loli. I would actually say that if a second WarioWare character were to be chosen it would be Jimmy T.

Jimmy T. has been in the WarioWare series since the very beginning. The remix themes in each WarioWare game also centered around Jimmy T. as well, which shows he has a bit more prominence than the other WarioWare characters.

As for Kid Icarus, I know most people believe that if Kid Icarus somehow got three playable characters that it would be Medusa (likely a clone or luigi-fied clone of Palutena). However, for some reason I could see it being Viridi instead (being again based off of Palutena). Hades would also be a possibility, though I could see him being more suited for a boss fight.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Jimmy T also appeared in the WarioWare stage in Brawl.

Disco based moves would make him a unique brawler.

Azure J

Mario: Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Toad, Daisy
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow
Mother: Ninten (not saying that he would ever be playable, he's just the "next obvious character"), Porky
Wario: Captain Syrup, Waluigi
Kid Icarus: Palutena, Medusa, Hades

Agreed with a few addendums. Things get hazy though, especially with how a theoretical Wario entry would work. (Is Waluigi more Mario spinoffs than Wario series? Kamek, while a principle antagonist in the Yoshi games is no different looking from Magikoopas, does he have Toad Syndrome?)

Snakey

Agreed with a few addendums. Things get hazy though, especially with how a theoretical Wario entry would work. (Is Waluigi more Mario spinoffs than Wario series? Kamek, while a principle antagonist in the Yoshi games is no different looking from Magikoopas, does he have Toad Syndrome?)

Waluigi has never appeared in a Wario game. Also, in the Dojo update for Waluigi AT, he was given the Mario series icon. Regardless, the only thing Waluigi has going for him is popularity (but even then just as much people are asking for Toad, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr.), and has nothing to show in the mainline Mario series.

Azure J

Waluigi has never appeared in a Wario game. Also, in the Dojo update for Waluigi AT, he was given the Mario series icon. Regardless, the only thing Waluigi has going for him is popularity (but even then just as much people are asking for Toad, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr.), and has nothing to show in the mainline Mario series.

Oh I know, I was accounting for popularity with a lot of those pics for the big/high representation franchises.

@Snakey:
My list assumed characters that seemed likely to me for that specific series. I wouldn't think that most of those characters have any chances to actually be added, but I followed for the sake of the argument.
I also did not name characters as being on the same level - Rosalina would come after Bowser Jr., Paper Mario or Waluigi. I'd like to think Rosalina has a shot since she's been in the very successful Galaxy games and has since been in both latest Mario Karts and a Luma was in the 3DS Mario Tennis. She seems more likely to me than Daisy, though.

Regarding Kirby: I put characters that have been playable or somehow significant in Kirby games. The main Kirby trinity is already represented, and I don't believe any other Kirby character should be added. Waddle Dee doesn't seem like a likely choice - he's already in Brawl as one of Dedede's moves, and other than that one playable Waddle Dee in Return to Dreamland, none of them did anything else but walk left and right. It would also be an odd choice - Waddle Dee is in a similar boat as Toad, but with much less popularity and less moveset potential. That's why I went with those 3 I named.

Regarding Wario: You're right, I totally forgot about Jimmy T. - I should've added him, in retrospect. I do think Ashley has chances if only for the fact her theme song appears in the WarioWare stage (which is also why I added Mona), and she seems to be one of the more popular newer additions to the WarioWare cast.
Personally, I don't think any character would be added for WarioWare or Wario Land, but I was just playing devil's advocate. :p

Regarding Kid Icarus: I don't have Uprising or played it, and people mentioned Medusa a lot. Not to mention I know she's the main villain in the NES game, which I think holds a lot of power as well. Also, she looks fucking badass and I wouldn't mind her on the roster at all.

Snakey

Pichu should return and replace Pikachu :D :d :d :d: d: D : D

There is actually a sizable amount of requests for Pichu's return in Japan. However, the Western Smash Bros. fanbase would collectively rage if he ever returned. Personally, I would not mind though. I think Pichu was the best possible representative for Gold/Silver.

Regarding Kid Icarus: I don't have Uprising or played it, and people mentioned Medusa a lot. Not to mention I know she's the main villain in the NES game, which I think holds a lot of power as well. Also, she looks fucking badass and I wouldn't mind her on the roster at all.

You'd have to play Uprising to see how... "highly" Sakurai seems to care for her. Uprising ground her importance to the Kid Icarus series to dust (retroactively even).

Concerning character relevance since Brawl, I think Sakurai's going to have to dig a little deeper into series history this time around considering how poor the choices really are for most of them in that regard. Though if we get a second member of Star Wolf I quit Smash Bros., seriously.

GamerSoul

You'd have to play Uprising to see how... "highly" Sakurai seems to care for her. Uprising ground her importance to the Kid Icarus series to dust (retroactively even).

Concerning character relevance since Brawl, I think Sakurai's going to have to dig a little deeper into series history this time around considering how poor the choices really are for most of them in that regard. Though if we get a second member of Star Wolf I quit Smash Bros., seriously.

I haven't played KI either but I remember hearing the same thing about her importance in the game. Though I still think she would be a pretty cool characters even if she ended up being a Palutena clone. She could also be a decent villain character for the hopefully revamped story mode. And I totally agree, Sakurai is going to have to do his research this time around since the characters, imo, are the main draw to the game. He has to find a way to keep it fresh enough to keep us playing.

Though if we get a second member of Star Wolf I quit Smash Bros., seriously.

Frankly, I think Leon could bring a really cool character concept to the table with a LOT of potential for novel gameplay - invisibility/cloaking-based assassin playstyle; swift martial arts mixed with sci-fi based traps like plasma mines, plus guns and light saber knives.

Of course that would probably be nothing like how he would end up if Sakurai made the moveset, but you know...

Ryce

I'd be completely shocked if we got any newcomers from the Yoshi, Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mother, or Wario universes.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I haven't played KI either but I remember hearing the same thing about her importance in the game. Though I still think she would be a pretty cool characters even if she ended up being a Palutena clone. She could also be a decent villain character for the hopefully revamped story mode. And I totally agree, Sakurai is going to have to do his research this time around since the characters, imo, are the main draw to the game. He has to find a way to keep it fresh enough to keep us playing.

I assumed you were talking about Medusa, but I would love to see Sakurai revamp the story mode because I can see potential of smash bros story if they wrote better story. They should toss more villains (King K Rool, Ridley, Medusa/Hades, etc) and we can see more collaboration between villains without any fake bosses or villains.

I'd be completely shocked if we got any newcomers from the Yoshi, Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mother, or Wario universes.

I wouldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom