• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

I've read articles where Sakurai attributed delays and roster cuts to the Subspace Emissary, and it still makes me a little angry. What an incredible waste of time and resources.

ffdgh

yeah..sse was such a waste of time...tho hacks made the cool great maze colors and stages playable.

truthfully i'd be ok with an extension of melee's adventure mode.

yeah..sse was such a waste of time...tho hacks made the cool great maze colors and stages playable.

truthfully i'd be ok with an extension of melee's adventure mode.

Agreed 1000 percent! A solid mix of Brawl's and Melee's Adventure modes would be ideal.

qq more

I've read articles where Sakurai attributed delays and roster cuts to the Subspace Emissary, and it still makes me a little angry. What an incredible waste of time and resources.

Wow.

I'm gonna guess that if it wasn't for SSE, Mewtwo and Roy would of have gotten in on time?

ffdgh

If sse wasn't as big as it was, the game probably would have been out 1-2 years sooner with more stuff and balance and better online
KuGsj.gif
;_;

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Just keep Story mode and single players content on 3DS, and Multiplayers stuff on Wii U, and the files would transfer back and forward between Wii U and 3DS. I would be happy with that.

hey hey

it's not Sonic's fault those 5 got cut out :(

Sadly, It's his fault. PARTIALLY.

ffdgh

And it's also not sonic's fault that he is horridly under powered :p

Side note, Did anyone ever play the old games in the chronicles?

Ryce

Sonic is why we didn't get Mewtwo and Roy, but Sonic and the Subspace Emissary is why we didn't get Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Toon Zelda, and Plusle & Minun.

I have weird taste when it comes to characters -- I would have loved Plusle & Minun. :(

I think Waddle Dee (Bandanna) or Krystal are possible and plausible, however, I think both characters have obstacles going against them (especially Krystal). However, I could see Bandanna Dee eventually getting in if he continues to have major roles in Kirby games like he did in Return to Dream Land.

I'd like to see them have Prince Fluff as a Kirby character. I'm pretty sure he won't get it, but using him to add a yarn-like move-set to the game would be pretty neat and probably doable.

I have weird taste when it comes to characters -- I would have loved Plusle & Minun. :(

Yeah, I'd loved to have seen how they were supposed to play as. Probably similar to Ice Climbers in that you control one and the other follows you around? Like dual Pichus...holy crap that could have been scary.

ffdgh

I would love basically dual pichus.......that pikachu and 2 pichu event in melee already showed the sheer destructive power of it.

....and also red and blue goggles :D

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'd like to see them have Prince Fluff as a Kirby character. I'm pretty sure he won't get it, but using him to add a yarn-like move-set to the game would be pretty neat and probably doable.

Yeah, I'd loved to have seen how they were supposed to play as. Probably similar to Ice Climbers in that you control one and the other follows you around? Like dual Pichus...holy crap that could have been scary.

I would love to see Prince Fluff. It's only one kirby character that I would be okay to see being added to SSB4. I would laugh if you get rid of it's partner, then it will bleed with any moves, just like Pichu. If Sonic is coming back, then please give him better intro movie.

pwnagesonicbrawlfastcw8.gif

I wouldn't have any problem with just about any Nintendo character being playable, so long as there's abundance of characters overall. I'd be fine with Balloon Fighter being in, so long as a handful of other characters are in as well.

I know realistically, the roster will only be about 35-40 strong, but there are enough decent choices for characters to make a good 50-60 character roster. Can such a thing exist while still having some semblance of balance?

ffdgh

I wouldn't have any problem with just about any Nintendo character being playable, so long as there's abundance of characters overall. I'd be fine with Balloon Fighter being in, so long as a handful of other characters are in as well.

I know realistically, the roster will only be about 35-40 strong, but there are enough decent choices for characters to make a good 50-60 character roster. Can such a thing exist while still having some semblance of balance?

patches are possible now so hopefully yeah lol.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly I don't mind people asking 3rd party characters... as long as they don't have the "Well Nintendo will run out of characters!" excuse.

I just had a crazy (but awesome) idea for the 3DS version.

We know it's going to have a focus on Single Player content. I imagine there'll be a Stadium mode just like Brawl for all the challenges like Home Run Contest and I imagine a bunch of new stuff.

But I was thinking, what if they model it off of SNK vs Capcom on the NGPC (arguably the best handheld fighter ever made
until Smash comes out :p
)

They can even stick a random Nintendo character as the coach with fun little interactive dialog. Heck following MotM's example, THAT would certainly be a good reason to throw someone like Viridi in there. She'd make the perfect nagger and she could even be jealous and complain about Palutena being in the game just like Karin does for Sakura.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh right, I want Joltiks to be in Smash as a Pokeball Pokemon (clearly because there's a 0.001% chance of Joltiks being playable). And yes, I mean Joltiks. You can never have enough.

When you release this Pokeball Pokemon, a lone Joltik will hop onto an enemy, chewing on them as other Joltiks appear and flock onto the afflicted enemy.

I don't think wavedashing by itself is all that important, but I'd be okay with it to come back. People equate it to snaking, but wavedashing isn't even that powerful.

McNum

Hmm, nah to wavedashing.

I'd rather they sped up general moving speed or aerial maneuverability than bringing back wavedashing. Maybe makes short hops give a greater boost in horizontal speed or similar. If directional airdodging is back, then dodging into the ground should either cancel into a roll or make the character trip. The latter would then be the only ways to trip unprovoked.

They need to bring back momentum carrying into jumps. I have no idea why that was removed in Brawl. It makes a lot of characters, like Sonic and Captain Falcon, just feel wrong.

But Brawl really was just a slew of really terrible engine ideas, one after another.

ffdgh

I can't wave dash well but it's fun to mess around with so I wouldn't mind having it back. But yesss bring back momentum jumping and melee walking speeds. Mario/doc walks almost as fast as his brawl running speed
KuGsj.gif

SkyOdin

I'll pass on wavedashing. Super Smash Bros. was built on the philosophy that it should be simple to play. Advanced tricks that are undocumented and outside the paradigm of "can be executed by at most combining the control stick and one button" don't really belong, in my opinion.

In any case, I though Melee was plenty without wavedashing, so I don't think bringing back wavedashing would contribute much anyways.

I'll pass on wavedashing. Super Smash Bros. was built on the philosophy that it should be simple to play. Advanced tricks that are undocumented and outside the paradigm of "can be executed by at most combining the control stick and one button" don't really belong, in my opinion.

In any case, I though Melee was plenty without wavedashing, so I don't think bringing back wavedashing would contribute much anyways.
I'm not going to touch that first comment because of how silly it is. But I would be willing to put money down that putting wavedashing back into the game would get people who spat on Brawl interested in Smash 4.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd rather they focus on stuff the majority will use. Tune up the basic moves before focusing on stuff that may or may not be the consequence of the physics engine.

I agree with this. Look at games like Halo 1 and Smash 64, simple on the surface for everyone but there's a deep metagame that's not overly complex. Later games in each respective franchise lost that somewhere with things like perks in Halo 4 and auto-ledge grabbing, slower/floaty gameplay and tripping in Brawl.

I just don't want SSB4 to lose the identity it started with.

Brawl just has a bad game engine and I can only hope Sakurai has both a) realized what a misstep it was and b) intends to not repeat it.

It's a great fansservice game, but the first two were that and much more.

ffdgh

I'd rather they focus on stuff the majority will use. Tune up the basic moves before focusing on stuff that may or may not be the consequence of the physics engine.

In that case, hopefully they'll bump up that hitstun to melee levels again so characters won't cancel knockback momentum so fast or air dodge constantly like brawl.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Brawl just has a bad game engine and I can only hope Sakurai has both a) realized what a misstep it was and b) intends to not repeat it.

It's a great fansservice game, but the first two were that and much more.

Yeah Sakurai did realized that and apologized to the fans, and I'm not sure but i think he said it wouldnt' happen again. It could be wrong but someone help me out with the information.

Been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, and it made me think of a possibility for the next Smash Bros (but it's a slight spoiler for the game):

Do you think it's possible they'll replace male Marth with female Marth? It ticks a lot of boxes: representative from the newest game, another female character, and it allows for them to bring Roy back and keep Ike at the same time.

Ryce

Been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, and it made me think of a possibility for the next Smash Bros (but it's a slight spoiler for the game):

Do you think it's possible they'll replace male Marth with female Marth? It ticks a lot of boxes: representative from the newest game, another female character, and it allows for them to bring Roy back and keep Ike at the same time.
Nope. Chrom's the more popular character, and they're not going to get rid of the face of the series. Marth has starred in four Fire Emblem games (though two are remakes). The only way
female Marth
is going to be playable is as Chrom's "tag team" partner.

I don't think Marth is going anywhere. He's been in 2 of 3 Smash games so far, and he's the very first lord of the FE series, and was in more games than any other FE main character, so he's got the history to back him up.

They should really just award the winner at random because we don't want the people who are worse at the game to feel bad for rightly losing.

GamerSoul

The match should just go straight to no contest when someone is about to win.

They need to bring back momentum carrying into jumps. I have no idea why that was removed in Brawl. It makes a lot of characters, like Sonic and Captain Falcon, just feel wrong.

But Brawl really was just a slew of really terrible engine ideas, one after another.

I agree. And I just want a faster paced game. I dont care if wavedashing is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom