• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played KI either but I remember hearing the same thing about her importance in the game. Though I still think she would be a pretty cool characters even if she ended up being a Palutena clone. She could also be a decent villain character for the hopefully revamped story mode.
Medusa will be lucky to be anything other than a trophy.

Frankly, I think Leon could bring a really cool character concept to the table with a LOT of potential for novel gameplay - invisibility/cloaking-based assassin playstyle; swift martial arts mixed with sci-fi based traps like plasma mines, plus guns and light saber knives.
I wasn't really speaking in terms of moveset ideas, I was merely bemoaning the idea of having to dig so ridiculously low into a has been franchise for characters when there are other series out there that deserve a first character. And not even specifically bemoaning the Star Fox example--just as a representative of how far into a series to dig up newcomers they should absolutely not go.

I'd be completely shocked if we got any newcomers from the Yoshi, Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mother, or Wario universes.
I would say, at the very least, Yoshi and Wario represent their respective series well enough on their own. Yoshi especially really does not need a character.

I assumed you were talking about Medusa, but I would love to see Sakurai revamp the story mode because I can see potential of smash bros story if they wrote better story. They should toss more villains (King K Rool, Ridley, Medusa/Hades, etc) and we can see more collaboration between villains without any fake bosses or villains.
I think there still should be a franchise neutral villain at the heart of it all like Tabuu, I reject the idea of choosing one Nintendo villain over the other as the main antagonist.

GamerSoul

I assumed you were talking about Medusa, but I would love to see Sakurai revamp the story mode because I can see potential of smash bros story if they wrote better story. They should toss more villains (King K Rool, Ridley, Medusa/Hades, etc) and we can see more collaboration between villains without any fake bosses or villains.

Yes I was talking about Medusa and my thoughts exactly. By simply adding more Nintendo Villains throughout the story would easily make it better than Brawls.

I'd be completely shocked if we got any newcomers from the Yoshi, Kirby, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mother, or Wario universes.

......I hate to say it but i kinda agree :\ Especially with kirby, star fox, and yoshi

Medusa will be lucky to be anything other than a trophy.

I think there still should be a franchise neutral villain at the heart of it all like Tabuu, I reject the idea of choosing one Nintendo villain over the other as the main antagonist.

Ouch, not even trophy worthy. And agreed there should be a main neutral villain at the end behind the scenes when you have a all star game like Smash, but I think the Nintendo villains should at least have more of a presence.

Much better than Krystal though.

Yes, we get it, you hate Krystal.

EDIT: I will say that, if we get a fourth Star Fox character (which I hope to god we don't but it's a possibility) I'd much rather take a member of Star Fox over a member of Star Wolf, even if it is Krystal. Having two members of Star Wolf to two members of Star Fox makes them look too important to the series as a whole when the series is, in reality, about a team called Star Fox.

Kokonoe

Banned
I suppose I'd take Krystal over the other Star Fox characters. Falco is already in Smash and Krystal is the more interesting one in terms of design I guess, I know I wouldn't want to play as Slippy that's for sure.

J-Tier

I don't get the Krystal hate. The furr--fans of Krystal are an important demographic that will bring the title to new heights. Drop in Amy from the Sonic franchise and we've got a GOTY.

qq more

If Slippy was in Smash Bros:

Hey, I'll take on Bowser myselfOH GOD HELP ME FOX!!!!thank you Fox you savedHELP ME FOX!!!

I don't get the Krystal hate. The furr--fans of Krystal are an important demographic that will bring the title to new heights. Drop in Amy from the Sonic franchise and we've got a GOTY.

She's a terrible character with no redeeming value, IMHO.

@Snakey:
My list assumed characters that seemed likely to me for that specific series. I wouldn't think that most of those characters have any chances to actually be added, but I followed for the sake of the argument.
I also did not name characters as being on the same level - Rosalina would come after Bowser Jr., Paper Mario or Waluigi. I'd like to think Rosalina has a shot since she's been in the very successful Galaxy games and has since been in both latest Mario Karts and a Luma was in the 3DS Mario Tennis. She seems more likely to me than Daisy, though.

Regarding Kid Icarus: I don't have Uprising or played it, and people mentioned Medusa a lot. Not to mention I know she's the main villain in the NES game, which I think holds a lot of power as well. Also, she looks fucking badass and I wouldn't mind her on the roster at all.

In hopes that they go with actual costumes for characters, I see Medusa being a costume for Palutena but I love that Cree Summer voice for her. Same thing with Rosalina.

If Palutena gets a clone, I think Viridi would work better (smaller and lighter, nature moveset). More of a Toon / Young Link compared to Medusa's Wolf.

You'd have to play Uprising to see how... "highly" Sakurai seems to care for her. Uprising ground her importance to the Kid Icarus series to dust (retroactively even).

Concerning character relevance since Brawl, I think Sakurai's going to have to dig a little deeper into series history this time around considering how poor the choices really are for most of them in that regard. Though if we get a second member of Star Wolf I quit Smash Bros., seriously.

*groan* Seriously dude, give it a break already.

But I do agree I'd hate to see another redundant "Wolf" pick.

*groan* Seriously dude, give it a break already.

Never!

From a purely objective point of view I really don't want to see Viridi playable out of any Uprising character, if only because out of so many viable characters to pull from she's like one of the few in the game that's never actually physically seen doing anything. I'd take Magnus over her, importance be damned, and Magnus shouldn't be playable either.

Though, maybe her as a clone would be okay over a different character with actual displayed moveset potential.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes, we get it, you hate Krystal.

EDIT: I will say that, if we get a fourth Star Fox character (which I hope to god we don't but it's a possibility) I'd much rather take a member of Star Fox over a member of Star Wolf, even if it is Krystal. Having two members of Star Wolf to two members of Star Fox makes them look too important to the series as a whole when the series is, in reality, about a team called Star Fox.
I suppose I'd take Krystal over the other Star Fox characters. Falco is already in Smash and Krystal is the more interesting one in terms of design I guess, I know I wouldn't want to play as Slippy that's for sure.

wat?

Leon's pretty big in Japan. And yeah, I'd say Star Wolf are pretty important in the main games. Only 2 non-appearances, but in those they were either a) not invented yet (Star Fox SNES) or b) didn't really have a purpose being in there (Adventures).

And Leon and Panther have really decent designs, although for me I want to see Panther as more of an agile swordsman due to the whole Latin stereotype in him.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Feh, you might be right, but it was just weird to see Tabuu in the game. For me, I felt that he was out of nowhere and out of the place, but it kidna work tho.

I would like to see this guy as mastermind/puppetmaster.

1.jpg

wat?

Leon's pretty big in Japan. And yeah, I'd say Star Wolf are pretty important in the main games. Only 2 non-appearances, but in those they were either a) not invented yet (Star Fox SNES) or b) didn't really have a purpose being in there (Adventures).

And Leon and Panther have really decent designs, although for me I want to see Panther as more of an agile swordsman due to the whole Latin stereotype in him.

Even with them appearing in most of the games in the series they typically only appear in less than a third of the levels in the game. The Star Fox series is about the Star Fox team. They are completely ubiquitous to the entire series--putting the Star Wolf team on the same level as them belies how much the two teams' importance to the Star Fox series are not equivalent, no matter how much you like Leon and Panther.

Touchdown

Banned
I played brawl forever, I wouldn't mind if the next game was basically the same only with new/more characters as long as it wasn't so floaty.

Boss Doggie

Even with them appearing in most of the games in the series they typically only appear in less than a third of the levels in the game. The Star Fox series is about the Star Fox team. They are completely ubiquitous to the entire series--putting the Star Wolf team on the same level as them belies how much the two teams' importance to the Star Fox series are not equivalent, no matter how much you like Leon and Panther.

They're rivals tho :x

I seriously doubt we'd get the other Star Wolf team members over another Star Fox team member.

As much as Boss Doggie is trying to deny it, Krystal would be more likely. Hell, Peppy would be more likely.

Boss Doggie

I seriously doubt we'd get the other Star Wolf team members over another Star Fox team member.

As much as Boss Doggie is trying to deny it, Krystal would be more likely. Hell, Peppy would be more likely.

You mean Slippy. If you're at least going to mention a Star Fox character, mention the most likely one. :p

Yeah surprise, Slippy is loved in Japan.

Never!

From a purely objective point of view I really don't want to see Viridi playable out of any Uprising character, if only because out of so many viable characters to pull from she's like one of the few in the game that's never actually physically seen doing anything. I'd take Magnus over her, importance be damned, and Magnus shouldn't be playable either.

Though, maybe her as a clone would be okay over a different character with actual displayed moveset potential.

Oh absolutely. I see what you're saying. I'd prefer Magnus too although I wonder if he can have a moveset that wouldn't be too similar too a Fire Emblem character like Ike. I think there are enough variety in weapons that Viridi could have a unique enough moveset. I see Palutena being a somewhat slow and heavy character like Zelda, Medusa I feel would be more of the same and I'd rather have someone who could move nimbly than someone heavier and slower.

For the record, I'd be happy with just Palutena as a KI rep (as long as there were some banter from all the characters on the new KI stage ala the MGS and Star Fox stages) I'm just speaking of a hypothetical clone scenario.

GamerSoul

Shirtless Krystal with well-defined muscle tone for Smash!! Watch it happen.

Azure J

Vivian would be so cool, then again, I';m a sucker for mechanics revolving around collapsing in on one's self or shadow hitboxes/hurtboxes.

Especially considering Sticker Star basically booted everyone out of Paper Mario who wasn't an already established mainline Mario character.

GamerSoul

Paper Mario could represent his own series right? When it comes to likely candidates for Smash I feel the more I think the less I really know.

Smash definitely needs more shirtless girls and pantsless guys.

True. Everybody demographic most be pleased. lol

Jonboy

Man I haven't been really into Smash in a long time. What's the consensus on wave dashing these days?

Do most competitive players want to see it return?

GamerSoul

What have I done with my Krystal comment? hah

So I was thinking about something. Who are the
most "important" characters from each series that aren't playable? Like, if the roster for this game was decided by just picking the "next-in-line" from each series (and I know it won't be), who would the newcomers be?

Lemme try:

Mario: Rosalina, Bowser Jr.
Donkey Kong: K. Rool
Zelda: Impa, Ghirahim
Star Fox: KRYSTAL
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Metroid: Ridley
Wario: Capt. Syrup
Fire Emblem: Chrom
Kid Icarus: Palutena

Snakey

Krystal deserves all the hate.

You know you have problems when you are a female character and even GameFAQs hates you (the Smash 4 board there is basically waifu-land).

Krystal also has been absent from Star Fox longer than K. Rool and Dixie Kong have been absent from DK/Mario.

I think Waddle Dee (Bandanna) or Krystal are possible and plausible, however, I think both characters have obstacles going against them (especially Krystal). However, I could see Bandanna Dee eventually getting in if he continues to have major roles in Kirby games like he did in Return to Dream Land.

I think for a series that is not Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, the two most likely series to reach four playable characters will be Donkey Kong (if K. Rool and Dixie Kong are added) or Fire Emblem (if Ike stays, Roy returns, and Chrom is added in).

Krystal also has been absent from Star Fox longer than K. Rool and Dixie Kong have been absent from DK/Mario.

SF hasn't had a new game since ... 06. Which was also a game she was apart of.

(Unless you're counting a 64 remake as the same as Donkey Kong Country Returns ...)

Snakey

SF hasn't had a new game since ... 06. Which was also a game she was apart of.

(Unless you're counting a 64 remake as the same as Donkey Kong Country Returns ...)

All the more reason not to include a new Star Fox character. I feel the next Smash Bros. game will have the Star Fox characters borrow their designs and content largely from 64 3D.

The only "new" game received in the past six years was an upgraded port of Star Fox 64 (which is by far the most popular game in the series).

Boss Doggie

Actually Smash tends to make Star Fox look "original", borrowing only similarity from the games. This is much more seen in Brawl where each character has a template from various games - Fox is in his Command "face" while keeping his 64 uniform, Falco is in his total 64 look with Assault's structure, and Wolf is all Assault - and while the three getting some unique Brawl designs despite those templates.

So the "new look" rule doesn't apply to them unlike say, Zelda.

Kokonoe

Banned
Actually, I'd be fine with Slippy being in as that would mean I get to pulverize him with 3(or 4 if the game is 5 players) level 9 CPUs in a handicap team battle.

i know smash gets one extra pantsless guy every time i play

Welcome back, man. Don't go getting yourself banned again, y'hear?

On-topic; if there are to be any newcomers from already-repped series, I think they should reach deeper into their respective catalogues. Instead of Waluigi or Daisy; use Fawful. Instead of Tingle or Toon Zelda; use Vaati. Instead of Zoroark or Mewtwo; use Scrafty or Sunglasses Krookodile.

don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the next game's adventure mode needs to draw heavily from Nintendo's past rather than having a bunch of new enemies/generic environments.

Not only was a lot of the content that was unique to SSB:B's Subspace Emissary horrifying (what the fuck), but the overall "storyline" could've been the same, yet with other Nintendo worlds/enemies used instead.

And I still want to see the Macbeth train from Star Fox 64/SF64SD as a level. And the kid's desk from SSB64 as a level too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom