• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove wavedashing and all button combos, seriously reduce movement speed and jump, and add in a Sprint function.

lol There are so many parallels with these two franchises.

SSB64 = Halo 1
Melee = Halo 2
Brawl = Halo 3+

-EDIT-

I suggest you rehost before posting an image from that site. No one can see it so I just have to assume you're in total agreement with me.

Strange, it was working just a second ago.. Was just a gif about you missing the joke lol, nvm.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I suggest you rehost before posting an image from that site. No one can see it so I just have to assume you're in total agreement with me.

Yeah Sakurai did realized that and apologized to the fans, and I'm not sure but i think he said it wouldnt' happen again. It could be wrong but someone help me out with the information.
He less apologized for it and more just openly acknowledged certain fans were against the changes it introduced and said while he may have gone too extreme Melee was too 'tough' for casuals to get into.

I don't think Brawl is dumbed down to the point where it's unfun (I still play it far more than I ever did Melee), but I don't think Melee was some elite fighting game only hardcore fanatics could get into either, like SF3 was for Street Fighter. Replaying Brawl, Melee and Project M I mix between the two with tripping flat out removed would be great for me; I definitely prefer how much faster Melee/P-M is and how combos are an actual thing, but I like how crazy some of Brawl's fights feel like they can get (that could just be due to Brawl's newcomers' movesets being more original than Melee's were in general) and multiple air-dodging.

I see the news that Sakurai won't be the only person balancing SSB4 for once as an effort to show the gameplay won't be as dumbed down as Brawl was without giving any concrete information. Why else bother to announce that news in the first place?

The items need to be made fun again. I actually played Brawl exclusively without items turned on because they were all useless or overpowered, and I could play Melee with all items set at Very High. The fucking Brawl Pokeballs, my favorite item from 64/Melee, had shit for Pokemon.

UGH

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The items need to be made fun again. I actually played Brawl exclusively without items turned on because they were all useless or overpowered, and I could play Melee with all items set at Very High. The fucking Brawl Pokeballs, my favorite item from 64/Melee, had shit for Pokemon.

UGH

I remembered great matches between friends in 99 lives matches with pokeballs on very high for Melee. Get ready for your eyes to be raped with a very confusing flashy game.

God there were so many shit Pokemon in Brawl.

Gulpin, Gardevoir, Munchlax, Bonsly, Metagross, they all either suck or actively work against you. I mean, all Smashes have had their slew of bad Pokemon, that's part of the item, but man, so many of them are bad in Brawl.

And to this day, hundreds upon hundreds of hours into Brawl and I have never, not once, seen Manaphy.

qq more

The fan in Brawl was the definition of overpowered
yet so dang fun

I don't really mind Brawl's item set outside of that, I had a lot of fun with smartbomb only fights. Especially in Mushroomy Kingdom.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Gulpin, Gardevoir, Munchlax, Bonsly, Metagross, they all either suck or actively work against you. I mean, all Smashes have had their slew of bad Pokemon, that's part of the item, but man, so many of them are bad in Brawl.

And to this day, hundreds upon hundreds of hours into Brawl and I have never, not once, seen Manaphy.

I saw manaphy once in awhile. I love it when it came out. I always win because of manaphy. :D

Edited: Just bump this image.
t1370970000z1.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Gulpin was pretty good for racking damage, Bonsly was good for trolling, and Metagross was fun for pinning people. Gardevoir is mostly so-so.

Any good Pokeball Pokemon ideas?

Duderino

I'll pass on wavedashing. Super Smash Bros. was built on the philosophy that it should be simple to play. Advanced tricks that are undocumented and outside the paradigm of "can be executed by at most combining the control stick and one button" don't really belong, in my opinion.

In any case, I though Melee was plenty without wavedashing, so I don't think bringing back wavedashing would contribute much anyways.

What if wavedashing was simple, straightforward, and a core technique to the fighting engine? Outside of the obvious technical execution barrier, I have never understood the criticism. Why? The positioning control it grants players is still one of the most unique additions to any Smash sequel, intentional or not.

I'm all for Smash 4 differentiating itself from previous games, but further squandering what literally fell into the dev's lap should be no part of that. Ultimately I just want to see Smash 4 progress as a free-form fighter, but can't see that happening if they continue to hold back movement options.

Anth0ny

Missingno would be an awesome Pokeball. Encounter rate equal to Mew/Celebi, and the screen gets all fucked up.

I wish Nintendo would acknowledge his existence already. There's probably more people out there that know about Missingno than some of the newer Pokemon lol

Boss Doggie

Missingno would be an awesome Pokeball. Encounter rate equal to Mew/Celebi, and the screen gets all fucked up.

I wish Nintendo would acknowledge his existence already. There's probably more people out there that know about Missingno than some of the newer Pokemon lol

People treat as though Missingno is something special. It's just a glitch, and there are plenty more "glitched" Pokemon. It just got popular because it's one of the easier ones and well, 90's kids plague the internet.

Boss Doggie

probably the most famous glitch in the history of video games, and easily the most well known glitched pokemon.

though I wouldn't be opposed to a PkMn pゥぁ ゥぇ (CE) appearance

Famous yes and easily exploitable, but not necessarily super-special like what many people say. No different from ??? or those weird trainers.

We get it. You hate Gen 1 :p

Nah, I just appreciate later gens more. :p

Agh! Why did I unspoil that? I only saw
Female Marth
and then I saw the rest of it when I made this post.

GAHHHH SO STUPID!

Not my fault, I said it's FEA SPOILERS :p

ffdgh

Ahh yes pokeballs in melee. More than 3 pokeballs on screen at once and legendary pokemon actually appear instead of being too darn rare. Screw that 1/493 (which will probably be 1/649+ when smash 4 comes out lol) chance in brawl compared to
1/251? chance in melee.

Hopefully they'll get ditto to work this time too.

What I found odd about legends being rarer in Brawl is the exception of Latios and Latias who appear far too frequently and are also too damn potent.

Now as for calling Bonsly bad, well clearly you don't conk people on the head with him enough, it's one of the most satisfying things in the series.

ffdgh

I don't mind the lati twin as they were probably the most useful pokeball pokemon in brawl.

And bonsly was made for trolling and dk's strength made perfect use of him.
KuGsj.gif

Munchlax needs to stay far away tho.

That actually does bring up an interesting point - if they included Megaman, would they give him a fixed moveset with an excerpt of his powers across his different games (similar to what he has in the MvC series), or would they give him a Kirby-esque moveset in which he can copy powers?

Ryce

That actually does bring up an interesting point - if they included Megaman, would they give him a fixed moveset with an excerpt of his powers across his different games (similar to what he has in the MvC series), or would they give him a Kirby-esque moveset in which he can copy powers?
I'd assume the former since the copy "gimmick" is already a big part of Kirby's character. Their copied abilities would also surely overlap, which would be pretty awkward.

qq more

Mega Man doesn't need the power of copying weapons, I don't think he even did that in any of the fighters he was in. His moveset has so much potential with all of those robot master powers he has used at some point. I'm really hoping he gets in!

I thought of this recently and figured they'd go with something based off MvC:

Up Smash either the Uppercut or Rush Coil like Sonic's Up Smash.

Neutral Smash Mega Buster or selected weapon (see below)

Down Smash Cycle through various weapons

...?

Not with this:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100719230706/megaman/images/2/25/Megaman_star_force.jpg[/MG]

or this:
[IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UMwDIRMAhpo/TQEtRzmNowI/AAAAAAAACjk/3C8tkRlAHGk/s1600/E3_ZX_ModelX.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

The second one...I don't what the fuck that is. But Mega Man.exe is the best Mega Man.

The second one...I don't what the fuck that is. But Mega Man.exe is the best Mega Man.

I didn't show you Megaman EXE tho, I showed you Starforce Megaman, which is a pretty bad spiritual sequel to EXE.

Also, the second one is Model X from Megaman ZX, which is a pretty shitty game (ZX Advent, its sequel, is good though).

You stay away from MegaMan StarForce! That series has a special place in my heart >:/

It's awful, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine.

qq more

I like Star Force but the 2nd game was awful. 3rd one was great from what I've played.

ZX started off okay but then Advent happened with its really bland forgettable level design.

I miss the franchise :(

I never played the 2nd or 3rd Starforce, mostly because 3 never came out over here (I could've imported it but bleh) and because 2 apparently was REALLY bad, even in comparison to 1.

Also, I felt ZXA was way better than ZX. Much more refined gameplay, plus the ability to actually turn into the bosses was pretty awesome. And frankly, saying ZXA had bland level design is a bit odd, given the fact it actually explores different types of environments, while ZX only had generic robot plants or caves, with the only exceptions being the town on fire and the amusement park area. :p

qq more

I like the ability to transform into different bosses, that was great. Although some of the bosses were absolutely awful to use.

As for the level design, yeah ZX's was kind of generic too but the metroidvania concept kind of saved it for me (strange, I know). ZX Advent likes rehashing enemies and sub bosses for some reason, and the level design was sometimes copy paste. But it has honestly been a long time since I last played those games, I'll replay them sometime.

qq more

Wasn't as Metroidvaniay as the first game though, it felt like it tried to be one but held back at times (weren't most levels only accessible via teleportation or am I wrong?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom