• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

Wonder what the reaction here after a couple years of speculation and debates would be if SSB4 has absolutely no newcomers just because

I can see a backlash occuring if there are only like 4 newcomers honestly. Since there are a limited amount of prominent character, I'm hoping Sakurai will do his research and try to find interesing and unique characters throughout Nintendo's history that will bring more to the table. Imo, I think any character from Mike Jones to Tom Nook could be great in Smash. If we do not get a lot of newcomers the returning cast should receive a few new wrinkles to their game to keep things fresh.

I'm pretty confident that either a 5th or 6th generation Pokémon will be in Smash 4. I don't think Mewtwo's return is nearly as concrete as most people would like to believe, and it would be a massive wasted opportunity on Sakurai's part.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The full title of the movie is Extreme Speed Genesect and the Re-awakening of Mewtwo. There won't be a major 6th-gen Pokemon this year.

Also, the new Eevee-evolution was already unveiled. Its not a Pokemon fit for fighting.

I still say the chances for a 5th or 6th gen Pokemon are bleaker than people here think, but a lot of people here seem to be emotionally invested in the idea that Sakurai HAS to use a flavor-of-the-month Pokemon.

There're a bunch of movie Pokemon that get a film but didn't appear on Smash.

Really, all that string-pulling and painting-the-target is rustling my jimmies.

Pokemon talk will always provoke this reaction in me:
562.jpg

ffdgh

I'm pretty confident that either a 5th or 6th generation Pokémon will be in Smash 4. I don't think Mewtwo's return is nearly as concrete as most people would like to believe, and it would be a massive wasted opportunity on Sakurai's part.

Your disdain towards mewtwo is hilarious XD.

Anth0ny

But Charizard is terrible even in Brawl! Slow, slow attacks (even Ivysaur does better). Only thing going for it is its recovery.

What are you, a tier whore? I don't know about you, but I play games for FUN. Charizard is fun.

Wonder what the reaction here after a couple years of speculation and debates would be if SSB4 has absolutely no newcomers just because

I'd be okay with that. There's enough god damn characters in Smash, they're scratching the bottom of the barrel as it is.

Lots of stages, more music, fixed single player, fixed online play, fun gameplay... that's all I ask for.

If only Nintendo would create some new fucking IPs. that would be nice.

ffdgh

I don't think he's that cool but he was cool in melee for me...especially after playing 20 freaking hours of vs mode to unlock him, and his hammer animation is awesome XD.

Thores

Mewtwo Opinions aside, Pokemon is one of those franchises where Sakurai goes and asks the developer what he should add to the Smash roster. It's more up to Game Freak than it is him.

Mewtwo Opinions aside, Pokemon is one of those franchises where Sakurai goes and asks the developer what he should add to the Smash roster. It's more up to Game Freak than it is him.

Even more reason to add a Gen V/VI character, then. Mewtwo doesn't represent the current state of his respective series like every other franchised character in the game does.

ffdgh

Jiggly cannot be cut, and darn it sakurai bring back flaming rest instead of that crappy flower rest....and that peach crown alt.

Thores

Even more reason to add a Gen V/VI character, then. Mewtwo doesn't represent the current state of his respective series like every other franchised character in the game does.

Just want to clarify that I agree that a Gen V or VI playable rep should and probably will be in Smash 4. And I also think that if there wasn't, Mewtwo would be a disappointing use of a slot. You had just said that he would be a wasted opportunity on Sakurai's part and I was addressing that part of the sentence.

But it's also worth noting that at least some of Pokemon Comapny's Smash decisions reflect whatever they're marketing during that game's development time. When Sakurai approached them for Brawl, Ash was bombing around in Kanto in the anime series, and they had just unveiled Lucario as the star of the then-upcoming movie. Our new playable Pokemon reps in Brawl were from Gen 1 and Gen 4. So yeah, Mewtwo being in the next movie is at least a little notable, especially since he already has history as a Smash character. However, that means Genesect is notable too, so is Ninfia (and by extension maybe Eevee's whole family), heck even Meloetta kinda is, with her 10ish-episode arc in the anime that aired right around the beginning of SSB4's development.

It's just down to which one or two in that list (not counting any surprise reveals that are followed by a huge marketing push of course) GF or whoever decides are the highest priority, which we obviously can't predict as well.

I actually kind of think that Pokémon Trainer was Brawl's way of representing both Gens I & III at the same time considering Red uses his FireRed/LeafGreen design and his Pokémon all use moves from Gen III.

Boss Doggie

He said Gengar, not Haunter. I would have agreed if he said Haunter.

Honestly I want Joltik to be playable for shits and giggles.

GamerSoul

That Jigglypuff stare...so focused. or maybe it just realized it's going up against a ghost type. Either way, Pideot for S4! Gen I is da best one. :p

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Mewtwo is the only character cut from Melee that I would like to see return. Mewtwo was really fun to control and if the character makes a comeback hopefully some of it's moves are buffed. You needed to be an actual psychic and predict peoples moves ahead of time to actually smash anyone out using Mewtwo.

You should be thinking of Mr Vile the Crocodile unless of course you never played Banjo Kazooie, just think of what lovely SSB characters that duo would've made...

And here I thought it was a Pokémon I wasn't familiar with.

Uh, I've played Banjo-Kazooie, but, well, I don't remember a Mr. Vile. I mean, I made it up to and through that stage with the water that you slowly suffocate in when treading its surface, so surely I've bumped into this guy, but I really don't remember him.

He was in the big Croc head in the swamp stage, a minigame about eating worm things.

Krookodile being a Dark type Croc gives him good grounding to steal the name, but we all know Krokorok is better.

I heard a lot of complaining about how there were five Gen 1 Pokemon (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard) and only one for Gen 4 (Lucario). I don't really mind as long as no one gets cut, but it seems kind of strange to me.

Note, Gamefreak is really playing of the rival theme with Lucario & Zoroark. And they also seem content with bringing Mewtwo back into the spotlight. People are also wondering if Pokemon Trainer will get changed. (Highly doubt it, since he's basically worth three characters). This gives us 6 from Gen 1, 1 from Gen 4, and 1 from Gen 5. Gen 6 probably won't be represented as anything more than a footnote due to it being in development. But this still gives us a whopping 8 potential characters and possibly more as time goes on.

Mario & Zelda will probably get in a few more characters to even that out. That's just a guess though, since I don't see Pokemon overshadowing them in representatives.

Ryce

Brawl was supposed to have Mewtwo and Plusle & Minun, so I could very easily see SSB4 with two additional Pokémon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Brawl was supposed to have Mewtwo and Plusle & Minun, so I could very easily see SSB4 with two additional Pokémon.
Much like how the characters such as DeDeDe were meant to be in the original and debuted in Melee.

Ryce

Much like how the characters such as DeDeDe were meant to be in the original and debuted in Melee.
Bowser, Mewtwo, and Dedede were planned for the first game, and two of those were included in Melee. Besides, we don't even know how deeply they were considered, but with Brawl the names of the cut characters are still on the disc.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
With so many people cheerleading the addition of more third party characters, Sakurai should just get rid of all the Pokemon and make Bill Cosby the lone series rep. A plethora of sweater color options and powerful pudding based attacks would make him top da-boop.

With so many people cheerleading the addition of more third party characters, Sakurai should just get rid of all the Pokemon and make Bill Cosby the lone series rep. A plethora of sweater color options and powerful pudding based attacks would make him top da-boop.

I would actually be okay with this, so long as his Final Smash is brain-damage causing rap music followed by healing jazz in the form of Jell-O pudding, Kodak film and New Coke.

Pokeymon? Pokeymon with the Pokey and the mon and the thing where the guy comes out of the thing and he wants to fall and it happens ah ah ah

This gives us 6 from Gen 1, 1 from Gen 4, and 1 from Gen 5. Gen 6 probably won't be represented as anything more than a footnote due to it being in development. .

... GF already knows what it's gonna do for XY and the game will be out in a few months sir. They know what Pokemon they feel should be in Smash already because they have to think ahead and map out how they plan on promoting the new games. That kinda stuff doesn't just happen over night.

I say just bring back Mewtwo and swap out Lucario for a gen 6 rep-mon. Makes the most sense to me and it keeps the number's reasonable but still gives the new fans ushered in via XY aPokemon (just like Pichu and Lucario did for Melee and Brawl).

Boss Doggie

I like how Pokemon Trainer is magically "immune" from all of this. Like how Gen 1 mons are immune from replacement. Mind you that Jiggs was almost cut according to some of the posts here.

I like how Pokemon Trainer is magically "immune" from all of this. Like how Gen 1 mons are immune from replacement. Mind you that Jiggs was almost cut according to some of the posts here.

I would imagine Pokemon Trainer is less likely to be changed because it's three movesets, not one--a lot more work goes into making Pokemon Trainer than any other character. No way are they going to remove a character who represents the playable characters of the series, and I really don't see them full on replacing his playable Pokemon considering that's the equivalent of removing three (three!) unique movesets after how much people bitched when they removed one unique Pokemon.

But of course, "gen-wunners lolololol."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom